What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The top 10 records that will never be broken. (According to NFLN) (1 Viewer)

Grigs Allmoon

Footballguy
This is on NFLN now, and I think it's a great discussion topic on a Saturday night, when it's too early to hit the sack...

10 - 7 Sacks in one game - Derrick Thomas

9 - 10 straight championship games - Otto Graham

8 - Undefeated season - Miami Dolphins

7 - 29 consecutive years coaching the same team - Tom Landry

6 - 18 straight wins away - 49ers

5 - 8 season leading the league in TDs - Don Hutson

4 - 26 consecutive loses - Tampa Bay

3 - 2??+ consecutive games started - Brett Favre

2 - 47 consecutive games with a passing TD - Johnny Unitas

1 - 347 wins - Don Shula

Off the top of my head, I think Barry's consecutive 100 yard games, Thurman Thomas' consecutive year leading the league in yards, and Harrison's receptinos in a season will be tough to reach.

What are your thoughts?

7 sacks is definitely a good one for top 10.

10 straight years in the championship? That'll never be touched due to the fact that there's so many more teams today.

I could see another team going undefeated some day. Colts, or Pats might make a run this year.

Landry's record may never be broken, but... boring...

Last edited by a moderator:
Earl Campbell: Four 200-yard rushing games in a single season. I just learned that one recently and it blew my mind. Ties for second-most 200-yard rushing games in a career (OJ is #1 with 6).

Jerry Rice's career TD record.

Jerry Rice's career yardage record.

With RB's and TE's getting more touches and overall WR depth being good, I think Jerry's records are pretty safe.

I could see Barry's consecutive 100+ rushing games being broken. 12 or 14 I think?

I can see Rice's records going if passing continues to be so aided by the rules as is true today.

10 straight championship games? I dont see any player ever doing that... no way at all.

Earl Campbell: Four 200-yard rushing games in a single season. I just learned that one recently and it blew my mind. Ties for second-most 200-yard rushing games in a career (OJ is #1 with 6).

Jerry Rice's career TD record.

Jerry Rice's career yardage record.

With RB's and TE's getting more touches and overall WR depth being good, I think Jerry's records are pretty safe.

I could see Barry's consecutive 100+ rushing games being broken. 12 or 14 I think?
14, I believe. Basically to break that you have to miss no more than a half a game in about a full season. Not to mention you have to have 14 good performances. We've seen even the likes of LT2 get shut down from time to time. I wonder what the most is since Barry's record.Good call on Jerry's numbers. Most of those should be safe.

This is on NFLN now, and I think it's a great discussion topic on a Saturday night, when it's too early to hit the sack...10 - 7 Sacks in one game - Derrick Thomas9 - 10 straight championship games - Otto Graham8 - Undefeated season - Miami Dolphins7 - 29 consecutive years coaching the same team - Tom LandryOff the top of my head, I think Barry's consecutive 100 yard games, Thurman Thomas' consecutive year leading the league in yards, and Harrison's receptinos in a season will be tough to reach.What are your thoughts?7 sacks is definitely a good one for top 10.10 straight years in the championship? That'll never be touched due to the fact that there's so many more teams today.I could see another team going undefeated some day. Colts, or Pats might make a run this year.Landry's record may never be broken, but... boring...
7 sacks is tough, but I could see it happening if the stars align10 straight championships - virtually impossible in the salary cap eraUndefeated season - We've had a few teams come very close in recent years...could happenCoaching for 29 years - Cowher went 14 or 15 and they would have let him coach longer. I can't see the Titans dumping Fisher for awhile....This is breakable

29 consecutive years coaching the same team - Tom Landry
It's not even close. This will never, EVER happen again.There are people that are ready to fire coaching staffs after two games. There are probably people that consider Norv Turner on the hot seat because he beat the defending NFC champions and lost on the road to the best team in football. Fans expectations are frankly ridiculous. All it takes is back to back losing seasons and any coach would be considered on the verge of losing his job.

Chad Johnson's well on his way to making his own record even tougher to break. He's led the AFC in receiving yards the past four seasons, already a record. Five would be pretty tough to beat.

Only Marvin Harrison (2001-2002), Tim Brown (1993-1995), Jerry Rice (1993-1995), Haywood Jeffires (1990-1991), Jerry Rice (1989-1990) and Gene Washington (1970-1971) have ever led their conference in receiving yards in consecutive seasons. Lance Alworth (1965-1966), Art Powell (1962-1963, Jets, Raiders), Bobby Mitchell (1962-1963) and Raymond Berry (1959-1960) led their league in receiving yards since 1950.

Ernie Nevers - 40 pts. in one game (6 TDs and 4 PATs)... oldest individual record in the NFL, dating back to 1929.

It's not even close. This will never, EVER happen again.There are people that are ready to fire coaching staffs after two games. There are probably people that consider Norv Turner on the hot seat because he beat the defending NFC champions and lost on the road to the best team in football. Fans expectations are frankly ridiculous. All it takes is back to back losing seasons and any coach would be considered on the verge of losing his job.
To be fair, the reason people want Norv fired is that he isn't very good. Some people had forgotten that or hoped he'd magically gotten better since the last time he'd been a head coach, until they actually saw him coach again.

Here's another good one - 8 INTs passing in one game, set by Jim Hardy in 1950.

Last edited by a moderator:
Manning to Harrison will be tough to break.

Favre's consecutive games streak will be nearly impossible to break.

Chad Johnson's well on his way to making his own record even tougher to break. He's led the AFC in receiving yards the past four seasons, already a record. Five would be pretty tough to beat.Only Marvin Harrison (2001-2002), Tim Brown (1993-1995), Jerry Rice (1993-1995), Haywood Jeffires (1990-1991), Jerry Rice (1989-1990) and Gene Washington (1970-1971) have ever led their conference in receiving yards in consecutive seasons. Lance Alworth (1965-1966), Art Powell (1962-1963, Jets, Raiders), Bobby Mitchell (1962-1963) and Raymond Berry (1959-1960) led their league in receiving yards since 1950.
Interesting... 5 would be tough. I could see 4 being broken some day.

Detmer had 7 in a game in '01. Chris Chandler had six in a game three years ago, where he threw just 29 passes. I bet we'll see 8 happen pretty soon. Maybe not the next five years, but the next 10 or 15.

This is on NFLN now, and I think it's a great discussion topic on a Saturday night, when it's too early to hit the sack...10 - 7 Sacks in one game - Derrick Thomas9 - 10 straight championship games - Otto Graham8 - Undefeated season - Miami Dolphins7 - 29 consecutive years coaching the same team - Tom Landry6 - 5 - 8 season leading the league in TDs - Don Hutson4 - 26 consecutive loses - Tampa Bay3 - 2??+ consecutive games started - Brett Favre2 - 47 consecutive games with a passing TD - Johnny Unitas.
Unita's record won't last.

Detmer had 7 in a game in '01. Chris Chandler had six in a game three years ago, where he threw just 29 passes. I bet we'll see 8 happen pretty soon. Maybe not the next five years, but the next 10 or 15.
How, in today's game, would a QB not get pulled after 5 or 6? I think even Favre, Manning, Brady would be shown the bench if they did that. I suppose if the game is still winnable those guys wouldn't, but how could it be close at that point?

This is on NFLN now, and I think it's a great discussion topic on a Saturday night, when it's too early to hit the sack...10 - 7 Sacks in one game - Derrick Thomas9 - 10 straight championship games - Otto Graham8 - Undefeated season - Miami Dolphins7 - 29 consecutive years coaching the same team - Tom Landry6 - 5 - 8 season leading the league in TDs - Don Hutson4 - 26 consecutive loses - Tampa Bay3 - 2??+ consecutive games started - Brett Favre2 - 47 consecutive games with a passing TD - Johnny Unitas.
Unita's record won't last.
I thought that, too, but 47 games is a lot. Sooner or later even the best of QBs will get in a situation where the stars just align and they end up running the ball in, or they get hurt after a quarter or two.

To be fair, the reason people want Norv fired is that he isn't very good. Some people had forgotten that or hoped he'd magically gotten better since the last time he'd been a head coach, until they actually saw him coach again.
Well, if you were really fair you'd admit that any team facing CHI and @NE would be 1-1 at best. Most would do worse. The Chargers didn't lose to NE because BB is better than Turner(which I think he is). The Chargers lost to NE because NE is better than the Chargers. And every other team in the league imo.

How, in today's game, would a QB not get pulled after 5 or 6? I think even Favre, Manning, Brady would be shown the bench if they did that. I suppose if the game is still winnable those guys wouldn't, but how could it be close at that point?
Well six or seven has happened twice in the last seven years.

I think the thing that is missing is human nature is to consider everything staying the same as it is today. It won't, and that will change any individual record.

I'd venture to say that every offensive record could be broken. Changes in rules, longer seasons (18 games? maybe 20?), elimination of salary cap.......all these things are very possible in the future, maybe even the next 10 years.

Given the number of teams today, I think that the 10 championships in a row would be about impossible. There are no individual records that I would say is impossible to break.

You may want to check that thread title again. It's not which records will no one come close to matching, it's records that will never be BROKEN? Care to offer up your prediction of who you think is likely to get away with throwing 9 INTs in a single game?

I think the thing that is missing is human nature is to consider everything staying the same as it is today. It won't, and that will change any individual record.I'd venture to say that every offensive record could be broken. Changes in rules, longer seasons (18 games? maybe 20?), elimination of salary cap.......all these things are very possible in the future, maybe even the next 10 years.
Great points. First, you can't predict things staying the same, but one constant is aging. I think it's safe to say that players' longevity will always be a question, so some records that deal with that sort of thing may be safe.As for your second point, I can definitely see more games per season, and more teams in the league in the future, so I think MANY of the single season records could, and probably will, be broken.

I think the thing that is missing is human nature is to consider everything staying the same as it is today. It won't, and that will change any individual record.I'd venture to say that every offensive record could be broken. Changes in rules, longer seasons (18 games? maybe 20?), elimination of salary cap.......all these things are very possible in the future, maybe even the next 10 years.Given the number of teams today, I think that the 10 championships in a row would be about impossible. There are no individual records that I would say is impossible to break.
Not only that but these 1 game records are never really safe. I mean there are how many DE/LB's playing in how many games this week? That's a lot of attempts made on the record every week. Some day somebody is gonna have 7 sacks again. And he might be playing the Atlanta Falcons.That's why I'll put my $ on fans unreasonable expectations towards coaches. Now that will be a constant. Rule changes won't have any bearing.

I think the thing that is missing is human nature is to consider everything staying the same as it is today. It won't, and that will change any individual record.I'd venture to say that every offensive record could be broken. Changes in rules, longer seasons (18 games? maybe 20?), elimination of salary cap.......all these things are very possible in the future, maybe even the next 10 years.Given the number of teams today, I think that the 10 championships in a row would be about impossible. There are no individual records that I would say is impossible to break.
Not only that but these 1 game records are never really safe. I mean there are how many DE/LB's playing in how many games this week? That's a lot of attempts made on the record every week. Some day somebody is gonna have 7 sacks again. And he might be playing the Atlanta Falcons.That's why I'll put my $ on fans unreasonable expectations towards coaches. Now that will be a constant. Rule changes won't have any bearing.
That's a great point, as well. For the single game records, you just need the starts to aling on a particular day. For a record like Landry's you need to be unbelievebly successful for 30 years! 3 sub-par years and you could be tossed to the curb. You'd probably have to win 7+ championships over 30 years to be safe enough to run for that record.

You may want to check that thread title again. It's not which records will no one come close to matching, it's records that will never be BROKEN? Care to offer up your prediction of who you think is likely to get away with throwing 9 INTs in a single game?
Well I assume tying the record would count. Otherwise that undefeated season record will never be broken, and the list will be full of all the players with 99 yard-TDs.

Anyone know if there has ever been a game with a score of 2-0? I'd imagine the odds of that happening again (once?) are slim to none.

They left out one very obvious one... Ben Roethlisberger's 14 consecutive wins to start career as a rookie QB. I don't think that one will be ever be touched. The previous record was 6 wins and it held for nearly 30 years, Roethlisberger more than doubled it

Well I assume tying the record would count. Otherwise that undefeated season record will never be broken, and the list will be full of all the players with 99 yard-TDs.
Well, I think it is talking about "breaking" records, not matching them. And, yes, I thought about adding the disclaimer to exclude records that are technically impossible to break. Let's not go there...

This is on NFLN now, and I think it's a great discussion topic on a Saturday night, when it's too early to hit the sack...10 - 7 Sacks in one game - Derrick Thomas9 - 10 straight championship games - Otto Graham8 - Undefeated season - Miami Dolphins7 - 29 consecutive years coaching the same team - Tom Landry6 - 18 straight wins away - 49ers5 - 8 season leading the league in TDs - Don Hutson4 - 26 consecutive loses - Tampa Bay3 - 2??+ consecutive games started - Brett Favre2 - 47 consecutive games with a passing TD - Johnny Unitas1 - 347 wins - Don ShulaOff the top of my head, I think Barry's consecutive 100 yard games, Thurman Thomas' consecutive year leading the league in yards, and Harrison's receptinos in a season will be tough to reach.What are your thoughts?7 sacks is definitely a good one for top 10.10 straight years in the championship? That'll never be touched due to the fact that there's so many more teams today.I could see another team going undefeated some day. Colts, or Pats might make a run this year.Landry's record may never be broken, but... boring...
I think there are really two different kinds of records- really, really, really hard to break... and "for all intents and purposes unbreakable". For instance, no one will ever break the Dolphins record of an undefeated season, because it's possible for one team to go MORE UNDEFEATED than another. By the same token, here are some more NFL records that will, by their very definition, never be broken:Longest run: 99 yardsLongest pass: 99 yardsLongest punt: 98 yardsMost points scored on a single play: 6

For instance, no one will ever break the Dolphins record of an undefeated season, because it's possible for one team to go MORE UNDEFEATED than another.
Strongly disagree.If a team when undefeated today it would be much more impressive than the MIA run. For one thing they'd have to win more games. They would have done so in the salary cap era.

For instance, no one will ever break the Dolphins record of an undefeated season, because it's possible for one team to go MORE UNDEFEATED than another.
Strongly disagree.If a team when undefeated today it would be much more impressive than the MIA run. For one thing they'd have to win more games. They would have done so in the salary cap era.
true. I'd go so far as to say that in the salary cap era, a 15-1 team that wins the SuperBowl might be more impressive than the Fins' 14-0 season

That's a great point, as well. For the single game records, you just need the starts to aling on a particular day. For a record like Landry's you need to be unbelievebly successful for 30 years! 3 sub-par years and you could be tossed to the curb. You'd probably have to win 7+ championships over 30 years to be safe enough to run for that record.
Noll had 23 straight before he voluntarily retired, and Shula had 26, so it's not like it's really that untouchable. Cowher could have made a serious run at it if he'd been so inclined. Among active coaches, I think that record is Shanahan's or Belichick's if only either of them wants it.I think that really the only records that are even marginally safe are the records where #1 is drastically ahead of #2 (say, half again as high, or maybe 33% higher, something really, really severe like that). If the #2 guy was just barely behind the #1 guy, then unless we're talking about a record that was set in a different era, that just highlights how breakable the record really is.

true. I'd go so far as to say that in the salary cap era, a 15-1 team that wins the SuperBowl might be more impressive than the Fins' 14-0 season
The "record" isn't MOST IMPRESSIVE SEASON, it's "undefeated season". A 99-yard run against the Chicago Bears might be the most impressive run ever, but it wouldn't break a record set by a 99-yard run against the Bengals. An undefeated season is basically a record for the fewest losses set at 0. Tell me how many teams you think are ever going to lose FEWER THAN ZERO games, and that's how many teams have a realistic chance of breaking that "record".Now, if the record were most games won in a single season without a loss, that record would be breakable. If the record were most consecutive wins in a single season, that record would be breakable. If the record is described as "undefeated season", though, then the record is about how many LOSSES (or "defeats") there were, and that record cannot possibly be broken. Ever.

The "record" isn't MOST IMPRESSIVE SEASON, it's "undefeated season". A 99-yard run against the Chicago Bears might be the most impressive run ever, but it wouldn't break a record set by a 99-yard run against the Bengals. An undefeated season is basically a record for the fewest losses set at 0. Tell me how many teams you think are ever going to lose FEWER THAN ZERO games, and that's how many teams have a realistic chance of breaking that "record".Now, if the record were most games won in a single season without a loss, that record would be breakable. If the record were most consecutive wins in a single season, that record would be breakable. If the record is described as "undefeated season", though, then the record is about how many LOSSES (or "defeats") there were, and that record cannot possibly be broken. Ever.
I never said a 15-1 team in the salary cap era that wins the SB would break the record or even tie it, I merely said it would be more impressive. and it probably would be.

How can you break the record for an undefeated season? You can't do better than undefeated. I understand that there are more games now per season, but at best you can only tie that record.

If Im not mistaken 3 sacks given up all year gets my vote for the fins with Marino at the helm....amazing if you think about it seeing he never had a running game.

Users who are viewing this thread