What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trent Richardson Thread (1 Viewer)

I could explain how joining a team in the middle of the season with no knowledge of the playbook might limit the ways that the team can use him or that 3 games don't represent a conclusive model for how they plan to use him for the next several years, but that would probably be lost on you. You are inclined to view everything Trent-related through a negative lens. If he caught 50+ balls last year, it is only because the Browns are idiots and not because he's a genuine weapon in the passing game (even though he had a higher yards per catch than Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy, Adrian Peterson, and Arian Foster). Oh yeah, and what about McGahee having a higher YPC on that stacked Browns offense? Wasn't that supposed to happen? In the offseason you said part of the reason why you thought Trent was overrated was because the Browns were horrible and that nobody would excel in Cleveland. Yet when Trent averages 3.6 YPC on that team, it is 100% because Trent sucks and has nothing to do with the organization or supporting cast. Looool.

You are incredibly biased on this player and your comments wrt him are a complete waste of space.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could explain how joining a team in the middle of the season with no knowledge of the playbook might limit the ways that the team can use him or that 3 games don't represent a conclusive model for how they plan to use him for the next several years, but that would probably be lost on you. You are inclined to view everything Trent-related through a negative lens. If he caught 50+ balls last year, it is only because the Browns are idiots and not because he's a genuine weapon in the passing game (even though he had a higher yards per catch than Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy, Adrian Peterson, and Arian Foster). Oh yeah, and what about McGahee having a higher YPC on that stacked Browns offense? Wasn't that supposed to happen? In the offseason you said part of the reason why you thought Trent was overrated was because the Browns were horrible and that nobody would excel in Cleveland. Yet when Trent averages 3.6 YPC on that team, it is 100% because Trent sucks and has nothing to do with the organization or supporting cast. Looool.

You are incredibly biased on this player and your comments wrt him are a complete waste of space.
Yeah, you're right. I actually did think he was pretty good coming out, and didn't like the situation. Then I actually, you know, watched him play. And unlike some, i am able to adjust my perception based on new evidence. Just curious, at what point do the excuses stop and you man up and admit you might be wrong on this guy? End of this year? Two years? Or is this a Mendenhall, McFadden, Stewart, Bush situation where you're still making yourself look bad years from now defending an indefensible stance?

Agree Lion..

Been saying this since he was criminally overblown by the media and overdrafted by the Browns, who were now savvy enough to not follow their former blunder with more bad money and were bailed out by the Colts.

He's a solid short yardage back, beyond that offers no explosive elusive abilities and is a liability in pass situations. He also came in as damaged goods with knee problems and I never did see or understood the frenzy last year, and was roundly criticized and mocked for having the opposing and the correct assessment which you share.

Yeah, you're right. I actually did think he was pretty good coming out, and didn't like the situation. Then I actually, you know, watched him play. And unlike some, i am able to adjust my perception based on new evidence. Just curious, at what point do the excuses stop and you man up and admit you might be wrong on this guy? End of this year? Two years? Or is this a Mendenhall, McFadden, Stewart, Bush situation where you're still making yourself look bad years from now defending an indefensible stance?
I adjust all the time. I think my take on the players you named has always been pretty accurate.

I don't think 1+ seasons plagued by injury, team switches, and bad supporting casts is always going to give you a perfect indicator of what a prospect can do. For a player like Richardson who comes into the league with a certain reputation, it is going to take more than that to move the needle.

To answer your question, if the season ends and he still hasn't shown anything for the Colts, I'd be very worried. As of right now there are plenty of factors in his favor that can explain away the early results. I've already provided them and you've already ignored them. Nobody's mind is going to change with this "discussion."

At this point I want to see what he can do over the next 2-3 months.

Reggie Bush? He's pretty good.

He is still a unique blend of power and speed. My take on watching him this year since l took him in first round is this: He does not try to evade tacklers since he didnt have to do this in college and prolly high school. So he runs to contact but in this level of players you cannot do that and succeed. He needs to develop the skills and mindset to run to an arm tackle and use a stiff arm to get yardage. By the time he breaks through his tackles at the line of scrimmage that is too late since other defenders swarm and can bring him down in the NFL. He is too much a straight line runner due to this. He needs to understand that he is taking bad angles and should cut back away from tackles instead of his believing he can bust through any tackle. Defenders must know they do not have to move laterally to pursue him and this gives the advantage to the defenders who are the guys who stopped nearly everyone in college when a runner decides to take them on.

I still think people are rushing to judgement here. Richardson isn't looking explosive though and that's a bit concerning. He's a beast that breaks a lot of tackles but just doesn't generate a lot of yards while doing it.
I am willing to stay patient......at this point. I gotta believe he is going to get it going with The Colts. And get more involved in the passing game too. He is a tremendous pass catching back.
I still think people are rushing to judgement here. Richardson isn't looking explosive though and that's a bit concerning. He's a beast that breaks a lot of tackles but just doesn't generate a lot of yards while doing it.
I am willing to stay patient......at this point. I gotta believe he is going to get it going with The Colts. And get more involved in the passing game too. He is a tremendous pass catching back.
That's the thing, he could be so good in the pass game, where is that?
I don't know that it's accurate to call him a tremendous weapon in the passing game. Sure, the buffoons in charge in Cleveland last year fed him 50 receptions. But this year, the new Cleveland staff and the Colts have both used guys like silent G and Donald Brown ahead of him in those situations. We'll see moving forward, but my guess is that this is just another facet of his game that has been wildly overrated. Why throw the ball to a plodder who can't make people miss to generate big plays on the edge?
His YPR was higher than McCoy's in 2011 and 2012.
And? Do you really think that Trent Richardson is a more dangerous player in space than LeSean McCoy? And if so, rather remarkable that 2/3 of his professional coaches have seemed to go away from using him as a receiver, isn't it?

Surprising that so many usually smart people just keep doubling down with new excuses for this guy. To be expected from some, I suppose, but the chances of a miracle turnaround are getting slimmer with each passing week. We passed "small" when he crapped the bed against Jacksonville -- we're in the "microscopic" range now.
LOL. Man, your schtick is almost bordering on trolling now.
Almost?

troll: n - a person with an unpopular opinion.
Come on man. It's one thing to have an unpopular opinion. Entirely different, to keep this thread going play by play almost and continually bashing the man. State your opinion and move on. It's pretty simple.

Serious question . . .

What is the difference between continously criticizing someone and continously hyping up a player??

Surprising that so many usually smart people just keep doubling down with new excuses for this guy. To be expected from some, I suppose, but the chances of a miracle turnaround are getting slimmer with each passing week. We passed "small" when he crapped the bed against Jacksonville -- we're in the "microscopic" range now.
I'm not 'doubling down' on him and he's dropped a lot in my rankings, but I'm still having a hard time keeping him out of my top 10 RB's due to the age advantage he has on a lot of RB's.

Come on man. It's one thing to have an unpopular opinion. Entirely different, to keep this thread going play by play almost and continually bashing the man. State your opinion and move on. It's pretty simple.
Yet here come the same people continually coming to Richardson's defense with new excuses weekly. Sorry your team got fleeced into trading a 1st for a poor man's Leroy Hoard. At least Ballard should be back next year -- he can probably at least hit 3.5 per carry.

I had to fix my RB situation so I bought in to Trent. It's a keep 1 league with start 2/3 rb, 2/3 wr, 1/2 te. I have Julius Thomas and my RB's I have been starting were Frank Gore and Ben Tate. So, I'm happy with it because it gives me a better option at RB.

Gave: Gronkowski, Ivory and a 3rd rounder

Got: Trent, Cameron and 9th rounder

FWIW, he was 12 for 54 (4.5 YPC) in the 2nd half against the Seahawks.
Yup, they made some adjustments and he was more efficient.

Brown runs out of shotgun and in passing situations. Put Trent in those positions and he'll take advantage of the gaping holes as well. With a bit less speed.

He will get better. When he has a big game, (and he will, maybe even this week on mnf) will the naysayers give him some credit? Doubtful

Just unloaded TRich in a NONppr redraft where I spent #2 overall on him. I'm 2-4 and traded with an 0-6 team. I just lost Julio too...looking to reshape the roster for a run.

TRich, Woodhead, Dalton, Pettis

for

Foster, Hillman, Freeman, Tate

Just to keep the trade value stuff going, as much as I have my doubts in TRich I may be acquiring him. Was offered Julio, TRich, 2015 1st for Demaryius and Murray. Lots of potential downside, but the upside is just so big and I think that's what keeps TRich holding decently steady value in dynasties right now.

12 team PPR dynasty. Got an offer of Sproles + Crabtree + Antonio Brown for Trent +. Might be enough to get me to bail.

Yet here come the same people continually coming to Richardson's defense with new excuses weekly. Sorry your team got fleeced into trading a 1st for a poor man's Leroy Hoard. At least Ballard should be back next year -- he can probably at least hit 3.5 per carry.
I'm happy with the trade. I'm not in here defending him. I said from the get go, that we needed to give him the balance of the season before we start to evaluate the trade.

You aren't good with that. You come in here as often as possible and grind on him. :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

12 team PPR dynasty. Got an offer of Sproles + Crabtree + Antonio Brown for Trent +. Might be enough to get me to bail.
Good offer.
That's what I'm thinking. Sproles holds me over at RB while I add Crabtree and Brown. I'm just worried that they both cap out at high-end WR2's, and those aren't too difficult to find. If Trent turns it around, it was a pretty low price.

Good offer.
That's what I'm thinking. Sproles holds me over at RB while I add Crabtree and Brown. I'm just worried that they both cap out at high-end WR2's, and those aren't too difficult to find. If Trent turns it around, it was a pretty low price.
Crabtree was on his way into WR 1 territory after last year. Still it's a tough call.

Good offer.
Crabtree was on his way into WR 1 territory after last year. Still it's a tough call.
True. I think he'll come back fine from his Achilles and be a target monster, Kaep loves him and more importantly needs him back.

Brown is hit or miss, but if he stays the #1 WR in PIT and keeps racking up 12-13 targets per game, well, that's valuable.

I just bought on T Rich. I have plenty of depth at RB so I can gamble a little, and I am hoping last weeks game against Seattle is not a good litmus test.

So, what does everyone say when Trent does this against the Chargers:

18 - 86 - 1TD

3 - 22 - 1TD
He might have 18 carries.He might have 86 rushing yards.

He might average 4.8 YPC.

He might score a rushing TD.

He might catch 3 passes.

He might have 22 receiving yards.

He might score a receiving TD.

But there is no way on God's green earth that he's going to do all of those things.

Joe Summer said:
Goooals said:
So, what does everyone say when Trent does this against the Chargers:

18 - 86 - 1TD

3 - 22 - 1TD
He might have 18 carries.He might have 86 rushing yards.

He might average 4.8 YPC.

He might score a rushing TD.

He might catch 3 passes.

He might have 22 receiving yards.

He might score a receiving TD.

But there is no way on God's green earth that he's going to do all of those things.
He already has - his 2nd game as a pro. His line was 19-109-1 and 4-36-1. In fact in 2012, when he played against the Chargers he had 122 rushing yards on 24 carries (5.1 YPC) - his most rushing yards in a game. Now, I am not saying he is going to do that again this week.

But he has the talent. The question is what flipped the switch "off" at times. Is it physical (injuries)? Is it mental? A combination of both? The other questions is, can that switch be flipped back "on"?

ConnSKINS26 said:
Took it. Trent + Andre Roberts for Sproles, Antonio Brown, Crabtree.

I've been trying to keep the faith on Trent (started him this week over Lacy/Bernard), but man, I was just casually watching MNF and saw a Colts RB explode through the line for 8 yards, and my thought process was as follows:

"Hey, Trent looked pretty good on that play."

"Wait, was that Trent? It might have been Brown"

"Oh, crap, it was Brown!"

"Damnit, Donald!"

Trent per his usual so far, 4 carries for 11 yards.

No joke that Donald Brown has looked much better. That's just pathetic.

Trent per his usual so far, 4 carries for 11 yards.

No joke that Donald Brown has looked much better. That's just pathetic.
Strange that you left out the catch and run where Richardson broke about 6 tackles.
Just as many missed than broke. His shifts and cuts are super slow.
Yeah, that's the thing about breaking 6 tackles back to back. It has a tendency of slowing you down. Better down grade him for guys who can't break any.

I can see him getting better and better towards the end of the season. He's disappointing right now, but he's working on his third offensive system in 25 NFL games.

He's painful to watch right now. Hoping he can turn it around as I've invested in him heavily but he just doesn't look like he's any good at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread