What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Unsexy Selection Show (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I think the title says it all, sound off with your own.

QB: Eli Manning-If Matt Ryan can go in 2nd, how does Eli last until the 5th/6th round? The top5 come off in the 1st 2 rounds, Matt Ryan not long after, Vick although he has been falling some, Eli just sits there collecting dust for a good while longer.

QB: Joe Flacco-I don't know if you all have been paying attention this preseason but Flacco looks different. Maybe Baltimore is serious about actually going all the way to the SB. I was down on them but at least they are trying. Flacco is sitting around in the 8th-10th rounds, makes a perfect QB2 with a little upside. We have not seen his best yet.

RB: Cedric Benson- 240+ carries in this offense including the goal line work...this is the definition of not sexy but he is going to produce.

RB: DeAngelo Williams-That gut of mine is telling me that folks are sleeping right now...9th GD round!!! I have been grabbing this guy without taking Stewart 1st. I am in a draft right now wishing I had taken him. I would move him up into the late 7th and let folks make some remark about how you are a sucker. Jeff Pasquino has been on this guy's tip all off season and I have been a long time fan of DWill since he came out of college, shame he was never "the guy" for multiple seasons. You realize DWill has only been North of 250+ carries once IIRC...he has a plenty of tread left on the tires.

WR: Danny Amendola-Last I checked he is the WR1 playing in the slot, gets a lot of targets, and will catch 5-6 a week in PPR. He is a solid WR3/4 that could be a poor man's Welker for a smidgen of the price.

WR: Davone Bess-Someone has to catch 4-5 balls a week as they are getting blown out and trying to go 1-15 this year. He shaved the dreads, made him even less sexier than before.

TE: Owen Daniels-If the injuries of the past don't worry you, if you believe Schaub is ready to roll, there is no WR2 o note yet in Houston, big time production if this guy catches 70-80 balls. he is always around in the 8th, 9th, and 10th rounds of many leagues. I see some big value here.

Def/ST: Seattle Seahawks-Just watch 8-10 defenses fly off the board and quietly take Seattle as your 1st defense, pair them with whoever. They have a rough schedule with 4 of the first 6 games against pretty good offenses however they shape up real nice for the 2nd half and they play Alex Smith, Sam Bradford, and Arizona a total of 6 times.

This is not about sleepers, these are sure fire hits that no one wants because they don't have the flair, pan ash, or shine of some of the other folks who are drafted rounds ahead of them.

Davone Bess is terrible...cmon now.

I'll take Marques Colston - Gonna be top 10 this year but all I hear about around here is Eric Decker. :yawn:

Silly sharkpool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice idea MOP.

My WR that's unsexy but will produce is Nate Washington.

-Over 1,000 yards last year.

-Britt is still facing suspension, hasn't practiced

-Scored multiple TDs with Locker

-Can grab him really late

It's amazing how easy it is to round out your roster with unsexy type players. Agree on Benson and Seattle. I plan on waiting until that tough part of the schedule is over and try to get them then.

Steven Jackson is the poster child for unsexy.

Roddy White is another one that comes to mind with everyone so high on Julio.

I know these guys are a little higher up on their ADP but are proven guys who will likely outproduce some of the flavor of the month types.

Davone Bess is terrible...cmon now.I'll take Marques Colston - Gonna be top 10 this year but all I hear about around here is Eric Decker. :yawn: Silly sharkpool.
Please don't piss in my threads. I don't bother or challenge you in any of your bait threads because it's a waste of my time. Bess is not terrible, he is a WR3 trying to be a WR1, so he doesn't have a ceiling of 100/1500/15 TD, he also if healthy and in a pass oriented offense with few weapons is in line for 80 receptions. The title says it all, you missed the point completely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice idea MOP.My WR that's unsexy but will produce is Nate Washington.-Over 1,000 yards last year.-Britt is still facing suspension, hasn't practiced-Scored multiple TDs with Locker-Can grab him really late
Great name Benson, I lost out on him by 1 pick the other day, was bummed. I do think the rookie is going to make things interesting there. I also am a bit concerned about Locker's inaccuracy. I agree though, unsexy pick all the way, likely top25-30.

Tony Gonzalez at TE, all the guy does it put up 800/8.
Agree, another guy who gets no love. Age has to be creeping up but if he is the best all time Tight End and many feel he has earned that, if so then he might play until he is 40 years old. Jerry Rice, the greatest WR of all time for many, played into his 40s.

I think Keller fits this unsexy mold. People are avoiding this guy like the plague from what I have seen.

Assuming his hammy truly is going to be ok, I think he has the potential to post very nice numbers. The rest of the Jet offense looks anemic and even if Sanchez struggles, he is going to look to check down a lot. A real lot. Plus, he's kind of a beast at 6'2" and 250 lbs and is a great athlete. He'll get the checkdowns, plus is the clear number 2 option.

I see real value here, again, assuming the hammy is ok. The potential injury makes him even more unsexy :unsure:

Agree, another guy who gets no love. Age has to be creeping up but if he is the best all time Tight End and many feel he has earned that, if so then he might play until he is 40 years old. Jerry Rice, the greatest WR of all time for many, played into his 40s.
Gonzalez said at the start of camp he was 95% sure this would be his last year.link

Davone Bess is terrible...cmon now.I'll take Marques Colston - Gonna be top 10 this year but all I hear about around here is Eric Decker. :yawn: Silly sharkpool.
Please don't piss in my threads.
Seriously? Because I don't think Bess is a legit fantasy prospect.Okay, peace out MOP. Do your thing.
I think most would be elated with that answer but I'll respond. Why do you think Bess is not free money in the double digit rounds? Marshall is gone, that's about 80-100 balls, 140-160 targets, and no one left to fill in these targets. bess is going to be targeted 7-10 times a game IMO...unless Miami makes a move and they seem more about trying to run people out of town right now then they are trying to field a winner. Miami will be down by 10-14 most weeks in the 3rd Q, that means a lot of garbage time too eventually. Colston is in that band of 5-25 at WR, most selected around Colston have about the same upside. He's a far sexier pick than Bess.

Seriously? Because I don't think Bess is a legit fantasy prospect.Okay, peace out MOP. Do your thing.
I think most would be elated with that answer but I'll respond. Why do you think Bess is not free money in the double digit rounds? Marshall is gone, that's about 80-100 balls, 140-160 targets, and no one left to fill in these targets. bess is going to be targeted 7-10 times a game IMO...unless Miami makes a move and they seem more about trying to run people out of town right now then they are trying to field a winner. Miami will be down by 10-14 most weeks in the 3rd Q, that means a lot of garbage time too eventually.
Because Bess is terrible?

Disagree on Flacco and Bess, but I think all the others should put up respectable numbers.

I think some team's WR1s are being drafted later than they should, including Santonio Holmes and Laurent Robinson. Even with poor QB play, these guys are borderline startable for PPR leagues and solid flex plays, IMO.

I think most would be elated with that answer but I'll respond. Why do you think Bess is not free money in the double digit rounds? Marshall is gone, that's about 80-100 balls, 140-160 targets, and no one left to fill in these targets. bess is going to be targeted 7-10 times a game IMO...unless Miami makes a move and they seem more about trying to run people out of town right now then they are trying to field a winner. Miami will be down by 10-14 most weeks in the 3rd Q, that means a lot of garbage time too eventually.
Because Bess is terrible?
He's not terrible, have you seen his QBs the last 3 years? 261/399 targets...that's 65% completion rate when you throw to Bess. He only had 85 targets last year, 120 avg the previous 2 seasons. 76 and 80 receptions his 2nd and 3rd year...I understand he only seems to rack 10 ypc, but some of that was play design. now he is running deeper routes. This year he didn't play week 1 of the preseason, was nursing a small injury, last week he had 4/59 in one half vs Atlanta. Miami would have thrown even more in the 2nd half of a regular season game. I think folks are just being stubborn. Bess ain't sexy.

Rookie qb? Injured star olineman? Miami?Pick oneFwiw like the other picks minus Owen Daniels.
I understand, I don't expect folks to agree across the board but Bess and Amendola get drafted in the WR4/5 range, both should outperform their spot by leaps and bounds IMO.

His QBs are still terrible...
Tannehill hit Legadu in the hands about 4 times for drops, then locked in on Bess this past game. Don't have to be a great QB, but Tannehill will be looking for a guy to trust.I'm not saying Bess will be a stud or anything, but i will definitelyy agree on the 4-5 catches per week. Even if it is only for 60 yards.

QB: Eli Manning-If Matt Ryan can go in 2nd, how does Eli last until the 5th/6th round? The top5 come off in the 1st 2 rounds, Matt Ryan not long after, Vick although he has been falling some, Eli just sits there collecting dust for a good while longer.

QB: Joe Flacco-I don't know if you all have been paying attention this preseason but Flacco looks different. Maybe Baltimore is serious about actually going all the way to the SB. I was down on them but at least they are trying. Flacco is sitting around in the 8th-10th rounds, makes a perfect QB2 with a little upside. We have not seen his best yet.

RB: Cedric Benson- 240+ carries in this offense including the goal line work...this is the definition of not sexy but he is going to produce.

RB: DeAngelo Williams-That gut of mine is telling me that folks are sleeping right now...9th GD round!!! I have been grabbing this guy without taking Stewart 1st. I am in a draft right now wishing I had taken him. I would move him up into the late 7th and let folks make some remark about how you are a sucker. Jeff Pasquino has been on this guy's tip all off season and I have been a long time fan of DWill since he came out of college, shame he was never "the guy" for multiple seasons. You realize DWill has only been North of 250+ carries once IIRC...he has a plenty of tread left on the tires.

WR: Danny Amendola-Last I checked he is the WR1 playing in the slot, gets a lot of targets, and will catch 5-6 a week in PPR. He is a solid WR3/4 that could be a poor man's Welker for a smidgen of the price.

WR: Davone Bess-Someone has to catch 4-5 balls a week as they are getting blown out and trying to go 1-15 this year. He shaved the dreads, made him even less sexier than before.

TE: Owen Daniels-If the injuries of the past don't worry you, if you believe Schaub is ready to roll, there is no WR2 o note yet in Houston, big time production if this guy catches 70-80 balls. he is always around in the 8th, 9th, and 10th rounds of many leagues. I see some big value here.

Def/ST: Seattle Seahawks-Just watch 8-10 defenses fly off the board and quietly take Seattle as your 1st defense, pair them with whoever. They have a rough schedule with 4 of the first 6 games against pretty good offenses however they shape up real nice for the 2nd half and they play Alex Smith, Sam Bradford, and Arizona a total of 6 times.

This is not about sleepers, these are sure fire hits that no one wants because they don't have the flair, pan ash, or shine of some of the other folks who are drafted rounds ahead of them.
You are on the money with Eli for sure - I'm in a draft currently & Ryan went at 2.05 in our 14 team league. The hype on Ryan is out of control. You won't be getting him late that is for sure. I'm thinking the value will be with either Eli/Romo/River/Peyton or even wait longer.. But I agree - give me Eli in the 5th..

You are on the money with Eli for sure - I'm in a draft currently & Ryan went at 2.05 in our 14 team league. The hype on Ryan is out of control. You won't be getting him late that is for sure. I'm thinking the value will be with either Eli/Romo/River/Peyton or even wait longer.. But I agree - give me Eli in the 5th..
Watched guy go Peyton/Cutler on the 8/9 turn in bet ball the other night, very nice combo and he waited till everyone else had a QB.

I just can't see Besz or amendola actually getting to real WR3 value. I think wr4/5 doesn't offer much upside on what I expect to be median and inconsistent production.

Greene based on quantity (not quality) and situation alone given his ADP as one of the few bellcow backs available at his current ADP (6th round). He was RB18 last year with LT2 on the team.

Crabtree based purely on his ADP (11th round), situation (WR1 on a decent team) and health (full health for first time ever)

I like that Washington pick.

I'm picking Wayne. He is coming off a poor season, Luck has looked solid in the pre-season and Wayne is easily their best target.

Because of Wayne being the only target, Fleener may be a sleeper in a deeper league. He'll be more open with all the coverage on Wayne and familiarity with Luck.

I agree on some of these, but I take issue with a few...

Eli's 8.4 ypa aberration last year has people excited for 2012. I mean, he's QB8 and he's an average QB. Plenty of people think he's a sexier pick than he is.

Grant + Starks = 267 carries in 2011. I'll be shocked if Benson hit 240 this year. But he does probably belong on this list. Your expectations are just too high.

DeAngelo was the clear RB2 last year. Nothing to get excited about. Sure, he'll outproduce his ADP, but if you plan on winning then he should never crack your lineup. No upside w/o a Stewart injury. Great player in general, though. That just doesn't do your fantasy squad any good.

Replace Amendola with Steve Smith and I'll agree. Smith >> Amendola. I'll absolutely take the under on 5-6 catches a game for Danny. That would be 80-96 rec on the year.

As for the others, Flacco is a good pick. If he gets his comp % back up and has to throw more due to the loss of Suggs then he'll be pretty solid and will surprise a lot of folks.

I don't know why you are catching so much flack for Bess. I'll be looking for him late in the one PPR league I am in this year. The guy catches 65-70% of his targets. He'll be Sherman/Tannehill's Ryan Swope this year. If any of you aren't familiar with A&M, Swope was the slot guy in Sherman's offense last year and he had a great season. I think Bess will be a steal in PPR.

Does Carson Palmer qualify as an unsexy pick? I like him and Big Ben this year as my two QB combo. Neither getting much love.

Michael Turner is about as unsexy of a pick as it gets. Same with Shonn Greene. I'll be looking to snag Hillis and Ridley even later, but I expect at least one of those two guys to silence critics.

Wayne and Boldin are some unsexy WR picks, but they'll both put up solid numbers this year.

Big fan of Olsen to combo with Daniels at TE.

:goodposting:

'Diamond said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
'ponchsox said:
Gonzalez said at the start of camp he was 95% sure this would be his last year.link
There might be another thread about this but can this man get some love, he came into the league when tight ends were almost pure blockers and if they caught a pass or two a game it was just a bonus. If Gonzo was going into his 3rd or 4th year right now he would be the number 1 tight end and I don't think it would be close. He has stayed healthy and produced no matter who his quarterback was. Gronk, and Graham will be lucky to hit his age and still be playing, look at the problems Gates has had the last 2 years and he is 4 years younger. I wish Gonzo played in this era because I think he would set records for tight ends that would never be touched.

'whodeywhodey said:
Crabtree based purely on his ADP (11th round), situation (WR1 on a decent team) and health (full health for first time ever)
Good point. Alex Smith is slightly below average at QB, but Crabtree should have his best year as a pro to this point.

pan ash?

I don't know what constitutes 'sexy', or 'pan ash' for that matter, but benson has been getting gobbled up since the gb signing.

agree on manning and flacco (and maybe bess), and was on the daniels train until recently, when I have begun to think a couple others will still steal his targets.

Great initial post, here are the dead unsexy picks I totally agree with through the thread so far:

Manning

Flacco

Benson

DWill

Seattle

Nate Washington

Gonzo

Wayne

Greene

Crabtree

I like Bess and Amendola as upside sleepers -- definitely talented, in a good situation to outshine ADP, and undoubtedly unsexy. But I like a more proven record of producing.

The middle tier of QBs -- Romo, Rivers, Big Ben and some in the middle lower tier like Cutler and Alex Smith all look unsexy to me. Palmer just misses qualifying due to having a little more untrustworthy consistency.

Other unsexy picks:

Reggie Bush -- so many doubters, but I think he'll continue his performance of last year.

Toby Gerhart -- way more value if ADP ails, but seems to produce even in a backup role.

Santana Moss and Pierre Garcon -- RG3 will likely put both their names on lips again

Jermaine Gresham/Jared Cook -- most would have rather scored a bigger name TE and will feel like they are settling, but these guys can produce when their numbers are called.

Great initial post, here are the dead unsexy picks I totally agree with through the thread so far:ManningFlaccoBensonDWillSeattleNate WashingtonGonzoWayneGreeneCrabtreeI like Bess and Amendola as upside sleepers -- definitely talented, in a good situation to outshine ADP, and undoubtedly unsexy. But I like a more proven record of producing.The middle tier of QBs -- Romo, Rivers, Big Ben and some in the middle lower tier like Cutler and Alex Smith all look unsexy to me. Palmer just misses qualifying due to having a little more untrustworthy consistency.Other unsexy picks:Reggie Bush -- so many doubters, but I think he'll continue his performance of last year.Toby Gerhart -- way more value if ADP ails, but seems to produce even in a backup role.Santana Moss and Pierre Garcon -- RG3 will likely put both their names on lips againJermaine Gresham/Jared Cook -- most would have rather scored a bigger name TE and will feel like they are settling, but these guys can produce when their numbers are called.
We needed a post that had them organized. Thank you STC

we heard the EXACT same thing last year. adding boldin created a similar buzz that torrey is this year

a lot of people are high on seattle defense.

casey is better than daniels. its just that casey is great at everything that involves blocking. if owen gets hurt, casey steps in, breaks out as the 2nd receiving option and doesn't give the job up

we heard the EXACT same thing last year. adding boldin created a similar buzz that torrey is this year
they added boldin 2 years ago, and I haven't heard this exact same thing.

they added boldin 2 years ago, and I haven't heard this exact same thing.
These picks should be called Kennison picks. Eddie always seemed to produce quietly

Users who are viewing this thread