What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The worst play call in NFL history (2 Viewers)

maf005

Footballguy
Given the stakes, Seattle's decision to pass instead of run from NF's one yard line has to be the worst play call in NFL history right?

Lynch has to touch the ball there.

Unbelievable, calls shotgun when 3 & 1 from inside the 10 in the 3rd quarter and then calls a pass play to win the game at the goal line. Pete Carroll lost this game!

Dumbest and most surprising I've ever seen. Most powerful back in the NFL at the one with 3 plays left. My 3 year old could draw up the plays.

With one play left and the title on the line, you don't ask a game manager QB to win it for you.
I think they had 3 shots. lynch got it to the 1 on 1st D. Stupidity ensues on 2nd down.

Easily the dumbest call ever and I can't think of anything even close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horrible call. Of course had it not been an Int it would only have been bone headed instead of absolutely horrible lol.

:conspiracy:

Seattle FO (or the NFL) wanted Wilson to win MVP by throwing for another TD. If Lynch runs in that TD he's likely MVP.

Seattle FO would have to pay the SB MVP but doesn't want Lynch to have negotiation leverage

That play call was simply inexcusable. Someone better get D.Bevel some security 'cause I think the Seattle D might 'Lynch' him.

Should have been Lynch handoff on first. Russell play fake roll out on second. One of those would have worked.

The only play they possibly should have ran besides giving it to Lynch would be a bootleg to Wilson. Unbelievable.

Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN

Sorry. Worst play call in Super Bowl history. Have to give it to Beast Mode there. #stunned

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing

The Seahawks just lost the Super Bowl on one of the worst play calls in Super Bowl history. No. The worst.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Cris Collinsworth: "I cannot believe that play call."

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@SandoESPN

That is a play call the #Seahawks will regret forever. Absolutely mystifying decision.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk

Horrible call. Three shots from the one with Marshawn Lynch. And they throw it.

Joe Dolan ‏@FG_Dolan

Awful call, awful throw by Wilson. Deserved to lose.

@EmmittSmith22:

That was the worst play call I've seen in the history of football.

Luke Easterling ‏@LukeEasterling

I try not to over-exaggerate too often, but that might be the worst play call in #NFL history.

Paul Schwartz ‏@NYPost_Schwartz

One of best Super Bowls ever ends on probably the worst play-call in Super Bowl history.

Tom E. Curran ‏@tomecurran

Pats were letting clock run to conserve timeouts. Would have let them score if they ran. Worst play call in history of the sport.

trey wingo ‏@wingoz

Worst play call in Super Bowl history...

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi

Seriously though, we just witnessed the worst big play call in the history of sports.

Deion Sanders ‏@DeionSanders

That was the worst play call in the history of the Superbowl!!! Worst QB decision Ever!!!!! Ever Ever! Naw I mean Ever!

Ross Tucker ‏@RossTuckerNFL

Worst play call ever for a million different reasons

You have perhaps the best short yardage back in NFL history and the only thing that can get you beat is a fumble, a pick or a goal line stand. Lynch doesn't fumble so you don't have that to worry about. If you don't pass, you remove the pick option. The only thing left to do is run the football with Beast Mode with 3 downs to get 1 yard to be crowned SB champs. Yet, given the 99% chance of scoring with Beast Mode, the play call is slant pass.UNBELIEVABLE!

Bar NONE, the worst call in NFL history! It won't surprise me one bit if Lynch goes Beast Mode on the coach that called that play and we hear about a death in the locker room.

What makes it even worse is they just saw one of the crazies bounces of a football to grace an NFL field to get you down there, so you have to be gun shy about putting the ball in the air RIGHT?

OMG, if NE was really going to let them score on that play if it was a run just makes it officially the worst play call in SB history. Bevell or whatever his name is should never call another play in his life.

JohnnyU said:
OMG, if NE was really going to let them score on that play if it was a run just makes it officially the worst play call in SB history. Bevell or whatever his name is should never call another play in his life.
if NE was going to let them score, they would have called a TO after 1st down, which they should have done regardless. Questionable decisions all over the place.

Obviously much more at stake but dumber than Marty Mornhinweg winning the coin toss in OT and taking the wind (and kicking)?

I think even Pete Carroll realizes that. He cost them a SB. Back-to-back SBs. I can't think of any dumber calls of that magnitude. Wow...

30 seconds left, ball at the 1, one timeout left......and you have Beast Mode.

WTF was the Seahawks thinking? Give it to Lynch. Don't get it in, take your last timeout with about 25 seconds left. Give it to Lynch again, and if you're still not in, you still have about 20 seconds to lineup and go for it on 4th down.

Unbelievable.

amnesiac said:
gotta give Carroll credit, he just took the blame.
Credit? IF he didn't do a full Gestapo type investigation before that call went in to insure it was a run to Lynch or a bootleg with Russel, he should be drawn and quartered on the spot. There was simply NO other call that could have been made there but a running play. At that point in the game, with Beast mode in his backfield, there can't be any other call period.

He could have called a flea flicker there and I wouldn't be as dumbfounded.

Every player on Seattle's roster won't wake up every night in a cold sweat for the next ten years or anything.

Even the pass play was stupid. You've got the Pats crowding the middle of the field thinking run and you call a shallow pass to the middle of the field where everyone's bunched.

Users who are viewing this thread