What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Theological question: laws prohibiting actions considered sinful (1 Viewer)

When I've got a minute I'm going to start another thread.  Your post above merits some thought and time.  I apologize in advance - it's obvious that you have done a ton of reading on this stuff and I...have not.  I have taken an interest when I've run across the topics that you touch on above, but only in that they have deepened my faith.  Not in any systemic study like you seem to have.  And i don't see that changing, but as I read through your posts I find myself ticking off points where I have heard things...differently.  It might be interesting to dive in on these points a bit.

Thanks for being sincere and genuine, that makes this much more enjoyable!

Personally I don't fall one way or the other on the matter, but I'm open to being persuaded.

As to my point, I'm aware that there are theological basis for why believers should care for animals. The point that I'm making is that believers that hold to such basis are minorities within their religion. Most simply believe god gave humans dominion over animals, so man is the boss over animals. 
I'm not sure why you think this.  The majority of Americans are still believers, I think.  And I dare say the majority support anti- animal cruelty laws.  In fact, if anything, popular support for such laws is probably stronger today than it was half a century ago.  I don't know this, but I bet the number of Christians who believe that animals have immortal souls (I don't happen to be one of those, although I admit my opinion isn't terribly strong one way or another) is also on the rise.

All of which is to say, I would expect that believers who support care for animals to me the majority, not the minority.

I'm not sure why you think this.  The majority of Americans are still believers, I think.  And I dare say the majority support anti- animal cruelty laws.  In fact, if anything, popular support for such laws is probably stronger today than it was half a century ago.  I don't know this, but I bet the number of Christians who believe that animals have immortal souls (I don't happen to be one of those, although I admit my opinion isn't terribly strong one way or another) is also on the rise.

All of which is to say, I would expect that believers who support care for animals to me the majority, not the minority.
If we're looking at just today, I'd agree that we as a society have grown up and now support anti-animal cruelty laws. That said, while that support has been increasing in recent history, belief in christianity has been decreasing over that same period, and I don't think that's a coincidence. I think they are related. The historic treatment of animals by mankind has been influenced greatly by the Abrahamic religions, which has taught people to believe god gave dominion over animals to men. The same can be said for issues such as condoning slavery, women been treated as less than men, as well as hatred of homosexuality, all of which come have roots in the Abrahamic religions. To be honest, in my opinion the Abrahamic religions have greatly stunted mankind's growth over the centuries. Mankind could have gotten past all of those issues much sooner if people weren't led to defend them for religious reasons. 

Seems like this post was a question on the immorality of abortion more than anything.

I would agree that planned parenthoods harvesting and sale of parts along with their quotas for abortions are pretty abominable practices no matter wwhat religion you are.

Just sayin?

pinkham13 said:
Seems like this post was a question on the immorality of abortion more than anything.

I would agree that planned parenthoods harvesting and sale of parts along with their quotas for abortions are pretty abominable practices no matter wwhat religion you are.

Just sayin?
Are you referring to my original post?

Users who are viewing this thread