What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

There Will Be Blood - NEW FILM (1 Viewer)

Watched it on Showtime myself. Liked it until the last scene. Maybe I just didn't get it.

Felt to me like it had nothing to do with the rest of the movie.

DDL was amazing. I agree with that.

I really enjoyed this, however, I think I cant appreciate it enough because I dont understand what's going on with the oil business in general and how things are done. Was he mining silver in 1898 and just switched to old in 1902, or was that the same place and based on the types of rocks he found he decided to drill oil? What was up with the fire and the dynamite etc? I feel like I am missing something.

It can represent the brutal, murderous side of his personality. Except that he only kills a couple of people
We have become really numb as a movie-going society to say there were not "enough deaths" to justify the title of the movie.His search for oil and murderous personality caused at least 2 deaths in the oil rigs, caused his boy to become deaf, caused him to kill his brother's friend, and ultimately caused him to kill the preacher.

This movie was sufficiently titled if the only death was the one at the end. Isn't that one instance of blood enough to justify the title?
You may be right about our senses becoming numbed to violence. But the title made me expect Kill Bill Vol. 3, so two murders spread over a couple of decades wasn't what I expected.
I think that the blood shed in the search for oil is part of it as well. DDL almost dies in the beginning. Then the orphans dad is killed. Another person was killed at Sunday's Ranch, etc.
That was H.W.'s father that died in that initial accident?

I really enjoyed this, however, I think I cant appreciate it enough because I dont understand what's going on with the oil business in general and how things are done. Was he mining silver in 1898 and just switched to old in 1902, or was that the same place and based on the types of rocks he found he decided to drill oil? What was up with the fire and the dynamite etc? I feel like I am missing something.
It was gold that he found earlier in the movie. The fire was from a gas pocket and the dynamite was used to blow up the dirt around the area and cover up the hole.I thought it was a well acted movie, but I thought the ending was pretty disappointing and the whole thing with the "brother" would have been discovered in about 10 minutes. When he first met him he came in distrusting of the situation, which he did of every situation, and even if he wasn't that type of person it would have been very easy to discover just through the basic questions anyone would ask and the stories that they would be forced to tell. An obvious, for someone from the area, more current question would be, "How do you know when you have entered Kaukauna?"

did H.W. try to kill "the brother" because he knew he was an impostor, because he didnt want less attention from Daniel, or because he was going insane, or what?

did H.W. try to kill "the brother" because he knew he was an impostor, because he didnt want less attention from Daniel, or because he was going insane, or what?
He made a joke about getting liquored up and going to the peachtree dance. From his reaction he knew that he didn't know what the peachtree dance was and didn't react to it. It sent him into a rage because he knew that he had gotten taken. This was another part I had a problem with because anyone would have laughed at the joke even if they had not known that there was some specific meaning to a local dance that only people from Fon Du Lac would have been aware of.

Last edited by a moderator:
He made a joke about getting liquored up and going to the peachtree dance. From his reaction he knew that he didn't know what the peachtree dance was and didn't react to it. It sent him into a rage because he knew that he had gotten taken. This was another part I had a problem with because anyone would have laughed at the joke even if they had not known that there was some specific meaning to a local dance that only people from Fon Du Lac would have been aware of.
I got that. I'm talknig about when H.W. lit the fire in the house to try and kill the guy. Where did that come from?My confusion regarding the "brother" himself stems from them not knowing the other existed etc., but what, they were from the same small town or something so he should have known all the little ins and outs?

I got that. I'm talknig about when H.W. lit the fire in the house to try and kill the guy. Where did that come from?My confusion regarding the "brother" himself stems from them not knowing the other existed etc., but what, they were from the same small town or something so he should have known all the little ins and outs?
Sorry, HW. I have the same question about that. From what they showed in the movie it would have appeared that it would have been something in the diary, but another fault of the move was the way they dealt with the boy deafness. He couldn't hear, but now he couldn't talk either? I thought that was dumb and when he grew up now he talked like a deaf person. I could see losing some ability to make sounds, but you wouldn't forget how to talk and you'd be able to read someones lips to some degree. Getting back to the question I would bet in the directors cut there would be some explanation that didn't make it into the final cut due to some producer wanting the movie length cut down.

Here's my interpretation: it seems like Daniel Plainview only has his son, and no one else. He is essentially a man without a family. So when this impostor pretended to be Plainview's brother, Plainview was crushed to find it was a lie. He was so enraged with this ruse - so angry that someone would toy with his feelings - that he killed the guy for it.

Here's my interpretation: it seems like Daniel Plainview only has his son, and no one else. He is essentially a man without a family. So when this impostor pretended to be Plainview's brother, Plainview was crushed to find it was a lie. He was so enraged with this ruse - so angry that someone would toy with his feelings - that he killed the guy for it.
again, I'm not questioning Daniel killing that guy. Rather, I am talking about when his son, H.W. set the fire to kill "the brother" in his sleep like the first day he was there.

again, I'm not questioning Daniel killing that guy. Rather, I am talking about when his son, H.W. set the fire to kill "the brother" in his sleep like the first day he was there.
Why do you think he was trying to kill the brother?

Why do you think he was trying to kill the brother?
Because he set a fire targeting his bed.

I thought it was a well acted movie, but I thought the ending was pretty disappointing and the whole thing with the "brother" would have been discovered in about 10 minutes. When he first met him he came in distrusting of the situation, which he did of every situation, and even if he wasn't that type of person it would have been very easy to discover just through the basic questions anyone would ask and the stories that they would be forced to tell. An obvious, for someone from the area, more current question would be, "How do you know when you have entered Kaukauna?"
Felt the same way. The 1st half of the movie was quite good, but it really lost its purpose & focus in the 2nd half. In doing so, it became a very average movie. DDL used to be a great actor, but he's too wrapped up in his own ego now. He overacts in every movie lately.

DDL used to be a great actor, but he's too wrapped up in his own ego now. He overacts in every movie lately.
:doh:I haven't seen a ton of his work, but everything I've seen him in, he has been beyond great.Just watched this for the first time. I thought it was very good, but not great. DDL was really the only reason it was watchable.

who was the guy who was first holding HW at the first oil-field?

DDL took him with him on the train but there was another oaf who had him first

Just re-watched this last night. Every time I see this I come away from it thinking it's the best acting performance I've ever seen in my entire life. Nobody's better than Daniel Day Lewis.

"I drink it up!"

Just re-watched this last night. Every time I see this I come away from it thinking it's the best acting performance I've ever seen in my entire life. Nobody's better than Daniel Day Lewis.

"I drink it up!"
The best part about Lewis is you could make the same argument in favor of My Left Foot and Gangs of New York.

"I drink it up!"
The best part about Lewis is you could make the same argument in favor of My Left Foot and Gangs of New York.
I'll need to re-watch My Left Foot, as I haven't seen the whole thing (I know). But as for Gangs of New York, while I agree he was fantastic, there is just so much going on in that film that his brilliance gets, to me, a little lost. In There Will Be Blood, however, he and Dano pretty much have the camera to themselves - mostly Lewis. At one point I remember thinking to myself last night, "he (Lewis) doesn't even look like himself here". I know what you're saying with regard to GoNY, not so much with MLF, but to me he's at his finest (or anyone's finest, really) in There Will be Blood.

Last edited by a moderator:

"I drink it up!"
I'll need to re-watch My Left Foot, as I haven't seen the whole thing (I know). But as for Gangs of New York, while I agree he was fantastic, there is just so much going on in that film that his brilliance gets, to me, a little lost. In There Will Be Blood, however, he and Dano pretty much have the camera to themselves - mostly Lewis. At one point I remember thinking to myself last night, "he (Lewis) doesn't even look like himself here". I know what you're saying with regard to GoNY, not so much with MLF, but to me he's at his finest (or anyone's finest, really) in There Will be Blood.
My Left Foot is one of my favorites. I know that Gangs of New York isn't nearly as timeless as Goodfellas. But aside from the terrible, inexplicable casting of Cameron Diaz, that is a very good movie with a performance of a lifetime by Lewis. That alone makes the movie great in my eyes.

jdoggydogg said:
Mookie Blaylock said:

"I drink it up!"
My Left Foot is one of my favorites. I know that Gangs of New York isn't nearly as timeless as Goodfellas. But aside from the terrible, inexplicable casting of Cameron Diaz, that is a very good movie with a performance of a lifetime by Lewis. That alone makes the movie great in my eyes.
I think maybe you're missing my point. I too think Gangs of New York is a great film - epic even. But even with your personal feelings on Diaz you'd have to admit he was surrounded by very good actors and the story was really about DiCapprio's character. I believe Bill the Butcher was a fantastic character, and to be honest, not much of a departure from Daniel Plainview. But for the most part, I found ways to sympathize with Bill. Daniel Plainview is one of the most deplorable characters I've ever seen in film. The part that makes Lewis' performance in TWBB so great in my opinion - or more to the point, in my experience - is that even as dark and depressing as the film is, I'm mesmerized by the performance.

jdoggydogg said:
Mookie Blaylock said:

"I drink it up!"
I think maybe you're missing my point. I too think Gangs of New York is a great film - epic even. But even with your personal feelings on Diaz you'd have to admit he was surrounded by very good actors and the story was really about DiCapprio's character. I believe Bill the Butcher was a fantastic character, and to be honest, not much of a departure from Daniel Plainview. But for the most part, I found ways to sympathize with Bill. Daniel Plainview is one of the most deplorable characters I've ever seen in film. The part that makes Lewis' performance in TWBB so great in my opinion - or more to the point, in my experience - is that even as dark and depressing as the film is, I'm mesmerized by the performance.
I agree with pretty much everything you said. And while I think Diaz is the weak link in that movie, Gangs is still in my top 100 all time list.While I concur that Plainview is deplorable, I do sympathize with him in a way. In some regards he's like my dad: an angry drunk that shuts everyone out of his life. But in the Lewis' performance, you can see little flickers of humanity that make the character all the more poignant. Like when he yells at his grown son and berates him near the end of the film. On the surface, Plainview looks like a real jerk in that scene. But I see the pain he's feeling as the only person in the world that loves him is leaving him.

TWBB:

Very good first half.

Terrible, pointless 2nd half.

Possibly the worst soundtrack possible for the film.

Like almost all of PT Anderson's films, the idea is to drag it out and make the audience miserable for at least an hour.

He's probably the most overrated Director in history.

TWBB:Very good first half.Terrible, pointless 2nd half.Possibly the worst soundtrack possible for the film.Like almost all of PT Anderson's films, the idea is to drag it out and make the audience miserable for at least an hour.He's probably the most overrated Director in history.
Score was not great but the cinematography was amazing. There will be blood is a great looking movie. Biggest problem is some of the plot devices really don't work. Needed a better script. I really enjoyed this movie but it could have been an all time great with a better script. DDL is amazing in this movie, I don't think anyone can question that.

None_More_Black said:
TWBB:Very good first half.Terrible, pointless 2nd half.Possibly the worst soundtrack possible for the film.Like almost all of PT Anderson's films, the idea is to drag it out and make the audience miserable for at least an hour.He's probably the most overrated Director in history.
Score was not great but the cinematography was amazing. There will be blood is a great looking movie. Biggest problem is some of the plot devices really don't work. Needed a better script. I really enjoyed this movie but it could have been an all time great with a better script. DDL is amazing in this movie, I don't think anyone can question that.
What problems, specifically, do you have with the script? I'm not being argumentative, just really very interested in your take.

Just saw it on Showtime, great movie. Nothing crazy but a nice solid film with arguably the best acting performance I have ever seen.

I did not know the "I drink you milkshake" was in the last scene of the movie, the entire time I was waiting for it to come at each scene....

What problems, specifically, do you have with the script? I'm not being argumentative, just really very interested in your take.
Maybe he meant story or plot? I liked the script a lot - but I could see someone wanting more from the story.

Maybe he meant story or plot? I liked the script a lot - but I could see someone wanting more from the story.
I'll chime in: I've now watched this movie 4 times and I really like it, but the plot is flawed. My problem with the plot is that the first half sets up 4 REALLY good conflicts1. PLainview's nature as a human.2. Plainview's conflict with the church (both literally and figuratively)3. Plainview's relationship with HW.4. PLainview's "brother."The underlying theme - Plainview's inability to connect to human beings unless they can do something for him, otherwise they are useless to him - is touched on in all of those things. But the second half, IMO, tidies each of these up without much depth. And I blame that on PTA. He has, IMO, a number of movies that start ridiculously strong and then kind of meander along (Boogie Nights, Magnolia) until finally ending. This story (the novel, the concept, the characters) are ripe for the taking in terms of depth, conflict and resolution. The filming is excellent. The performances are phenomenal all the way through. But the last 30% of the movie is like an amazing 4th of July fireworks show where the last expected big blast is a dud.

I'll chime in: I've now watched this movie 4 times and I really like it, but the plot is flawed. My problem with the plot is that the first half sets up 4 REALLY good conflicts1. PLainview's nature as a human.2. Plainview's conflict with the church (both literally and figuratively)3. Plainview's relationship with HW.4. PLainview's "brother."The underlying theme - Plainview's inability to connect to human beings unless they can do something for him, otherwise they are useless to him - is touched on in all of those things. But the second half, IMO, tidies each of these up without much depth. And I blame that on PTA. He has, IMO, a number of movies that start ridiculously strong and then kind of meander along (Boogie Nights, Magnolia) until finally ending. This story (the novel, the concept, the characters) are ripe for the taking in terms of depth, conflict and resolution. The filming is excellent. The performances are phenomenal all the way through. But the last 30% of the movie is like an amazing 4th of July fireworks show where the last expected big blast is a dud.
I agree, mostly. Although I wouldn't change a thing about Boogie Nights. I love that movie.

I'll have to remember to rent Gangs of New York sometime. Acting rarely leaves an impression on me, good or bad, but I thought DDL was amazing here.

I have to agree on my disappointment with the ending of this film. It's weird that TWBB and No Country both were critically praised so highly yet I disliked both of the endings so much...

Another thing I disliked was about the directing. Given the great acting, it seemed there were several instances where the camera should have gotten a better shot of the actors but instead stayed zoomed way out. It's been a while since I saw this film, but the scene that sticks in my mind as an example is when HW returns and Plainview kneels down to give him a hug...

DDL was good in this. But for my nickel Last of the Mohicans is superior to this movie. This movie got too caught up in being artsy.

DDL was good in this. But for my nickel Last of the Mohicans is superior to this movie. This movie got too caught up in being artsy.
I agree that Mohicans is far more satisfying. Although I do like to see a wide variety of movies. So Blood does scratch a unique itch.

This is on FX right now. Even though I liked it at first, I love it more and more with each viewing. Superb film.

I AM A FALSE PROPHET AND GOD IS A SUPERSTITION! :shrug:

They are at the part now where Daniel and "his brother" are sitting on the beach.

Daniel mentions getting some women liquored up and "taking them to the Peachtree dance."

He says this twice, and the reference clearly goes unrecognized. He then asks what color the farmhouse was, and it's lights out.

Had the imposter feigned knowledge of the Peachtree dance, think he would have stayed alive?

I agree that Mohicans is far more satisfying. Although I do like to see a wide variety of movies. So Blood does scratch a unique itch.
Last Of The Mohicans was much better than this mess.
Last of the Mohicans is in my top 20 favorites...soundtrack, cinematography, story, acting...just awesome. Hard to find a fault with that film IMHO.

DDL needs to co-star with Meryl Streep. That would be like watching Wilt Chamberlain and Michael Jordan play basketball together.

Users who are viewing this thread