What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things I do with the VBD Sheet... (1 Viewer)

Alias

Footballguy
Feel free to move this if it is not "on topic" enough.

When a new VBD sheet comes out, I enter one of my league settings into the first sheet (paste-special-values seems to work).

1. Expand the Overall down to 102.

2. Create a new sheet, copy and paste (special) and paste values first and then formats from the generated Cheat tab, then name the sheet something relevant to the particular league - I also create a light gray border for all cells.

3. Use Conditional formatting to color code the overall column by position for RB (blue), WR (yellow), QB (pink)

4. Draw a line every 12th (or 16th) player to represent each round of the draft in the overall column.

5a. Bucket each position by 32 points (2 points per week differential) by using a thick line under the appropriate fantasy total for that position.

5b. Subdivide each bucket whenever there is a 10 point drop from 1 player to the next using a regular black underline.

6. color code the ranked player by ADP, so that first round players are 1 color, second round players a 2nd color, etc... If I know what slot I am picking from I use that to determine the round bounds. So if I am picking 5th, 1.01 thru 1.04 are gray and 1.05 thru 2.07 are yellow (I just change the background of the cell with the number in it). I do this to easily spot potential values in upcoming rounds to determine if I want to take a player from that position now or wait for a better value the next round.

I have modified this to only use the ADP as a guide for ranking within position, I use my league's drafting patterns for the past year to guess how many of which position will be taken by each of my picks and then use ADP to determine the order of the 17 WR's taken between pick 3.02 and 4.15 (for example)

7. change the color of the text for players I am targetting

8. for RB handcuffs is choosing a particular column and color coding the RB with his handcuff so that I don't remember to snag him when the timing seems right

Having visible ADP values (customized by your league size) on the cheat sheet is a huge improvement this year, now if we could just get some of these other things automated it would save me a lot of time. I don't use the draft dominator since it is too much work to fix the ADP for all players by league.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feel free to move this if it is not "on topic" enough.When a new VBD sheet comes out, I enter one of my league settings into the first sheet (do not copy and paste values as this seems to break the file).1. Expand the Overall down to 102.
how?

How many pokerstars dollars do i have to transfer to you for you to do it for both of my leagues?

(HULK) said:
Feel free to move this if it is not "on topic" enough.When a new VBD sheet comes out, I enter one of my league settings into the first sheet (do not copy and paste values as this seems to break the file).1. Expand the Overall down to 102.
how?
Highlight the whole "overall" field and drag the corner straight down.

When a new VBD sheet comes out, I enter one of my league settings into the first sheet (do not copy and paste values as this seems to break the file).

2. Create a new sheet, copy and paste (special) and paste values first and then formats from the generated Cheat tab, then name the sheet something relevant to the particular league - I also create a light gray border for all cells.

3. Use Conditional formatting to color code the overall column by position for RB (blue), WR (yellow), QB (pink)

4. Draw a line every 12th (or 16th) player to represent each round of the draft in the overall column.

5. Bucket each position by 32 points (2 points per week differential) by using a thick line under the appropriate fantasy total for that position.

6. color code the ranked player by ADP, so that first round players are 1 color, second round players a 2nd color, etc... If I know what slot I am picking from I use that to determine the round bounds. So if I am picking 5th, 1.01 thru 1.04 are gray and 1.05 thru 2.07 are yellow (I just change the background of the cell with the number in it). I do this to easily spot potential values in upcoming rounds to determine if I want to take a player from that position now or wait for a better value the next round.

Having visible ADP values (customized by your league size) on the cheat sheet is a huge improvement this year, now if we could just get some of these other things automated it would save me a lot of time. I don't use the draft dominator since it is too much work to fix the ADP for all players by league.
This part had me :no:

When a new VBD sheet comes out, I enter one of my league settings into the first sheet (do not copy and paste values as this seems to break the file).

5. Bucket each position by 32 points (2 points per week differential) by using a thick line under the appropriate fantasy total for that position.

This part had me :thumbdown:
excel functions.

Feel free to move this if it is not "on topic" enough.When a new VBD sheet comes out, I enter one of my league settings into the first sheet (do not copy and paste values as this seems to break the file).1. Expand the Overall down to 102.2. Create a new sheet, copy and paste (special) and paste values first and then formats from the generated Cheat tab, then name the sheet something relevant to the particular league - I also create a light gray border for all cells.3. Use Conditional formatting to color code the overall column by position for RB (blue), WR (yellow), QB (pink)4. Draw a line every 12th (or 16th) player to represent each round of the draft in the overall column.5. Bucket each position by 32 points (2 points per week differential) by using a thick line under the appropriate fantasy total for that position.6. color code the ranked player by ADP, so that first round players are 1 color, second round players a 2nd color, etc... If I know what slot I am picking from I use that to determine the round bounds. So if I am picking 5th, 1.01 thru 1.04 are gray and 1.05 thru 2.07 are yellow (I just change the background of the cell with the number in it). I do this to easily spot potential values in upcoming rounds to determine if I want to take a player from that position now or wait for a better value the next round.Having visible ADP values (customized by your league size) on the cheat sheet is a huge improvement this year, now if we could just get some of these other things automated it would save me a lot of time. I don't use the draft dominator since it is too much work to fix the ADP for all players by league.
Re: bucket size, 32 seems arbitrary. I use whereever the "natural" breaks are in the data. For example RB1, 2 and 3 are their own tiers, and then RB4-11 are the next. Apart from comparing the deviation of the default projections with ADPs, I pretty much stick to the VBD app's projections AS A BASE from which I move players within and to some extent across tiers. I can then use tier values to compare positions and figure out how to tweak my value values so as to mimic the historical ADP behavior of my leagues.Rather than color coding based on ADPs, I like to compare (by calculated deltas) my tweaked projection with base projection, and use this as a basis for when I "reach" and when I "wait".

Feel free to move this if it is not "on topic" enough.When a new VBD sheet comes out, I enter one of my league settings into the first sheet (do not copy and paste values as this seems to break the file).1. Expand the Overall down to 102.2. Create a new sheet, copy and paste (special) and paste values first and then formats from the generated Cheat tab, then name the sheet something relevant to the particular league - I also create a light gray border for all cells.3. Use Conditional formatting to color code the overall column by position for RB (blue), WR (yellow), QB (pink)4. Draw a line every 12th (or 16th) player to represent each round of the draft in the overall column.5. Bucket each position by 32 points (2 points per week differential) by using a thick line under the appropriate fantasy total for that position.6. color code the ranked player by ADP, so that first round players are 1 color, second round players a 2nd color, etc... If I know what slot I am picking from I use that to determine the round bounds. So if I am picking 5th, 1.01 thru 1.04 are gray and 1.05 thru 2.07 are yellow (I just change the background of the cell with the number in it). I do this to easily spot potential values in upcoming rounds to determine if I want to take a player from that position now or wait for a better value the next round.Having visible ADP values (customized by your league size) on the cheat sheet is a huge improvement this year, now if we could just get some of these other things automated it would save me a lot of time. I don't use the draft dominator since it is too much work to fix the ADP for all players by league.
Could you dumb this down a little for those of us that are Excel challenged? It sounds like something we could all use. Thanks!!

Wow!.........it's like Alias and me were separated at birth!

When a new VBD sheet comes out, I enter one of my league settings into the first sheet

(do not copy and paste values as this seems to break the file). Yes you can do this.....I've NEVER had a problem with copying my league's settings into a new VBD. Just take the input tab from a previous VBD file, hi-light JUST the area with the numbers and then paste values.......The only thing I can say is that you must be copying the entire tab which wouldn't work.

1. Expand the Overall down to 102. Yep......I do this, just to see the top 102 players (and I create an underline every 10 names to easily see what round they would go in.

2. Create a new sheet, copy and paste (special) and paste values first and then formats from the generated Cheat tab, then name the sheet something relevant to the particular league - I also create a light gray border for all cells. Huh???......Sounds like you're taking the long way. Why don't you just pretty up a previous version and then generate the new spreadsheet and THEN copy/paste values on top of the old version. It would save you time by keeping all your conditional formatting, your print settings, etc.....

3. Use Conditional formatting to color code the overall column by position for RB (blue), WR (yellow), QB (pink)Again....I do this.

4. Draw a line every 12th (or 16th) player to represent each round of the draft in the overall column.I do this too, but underline every 10 as our league has 10 teams.

6. color code the ranked player by ADP, so that first round players are 1 color, second round players a 2nd color, etc... If I know what slot I am picking from I use that to determine the round bounds. So if I am picking 5th, 1.01 thru 1.04 are gray and 1.05 thru 2.07 are yellow (I just change the background of the cell with the number in it). I do this to easily spot potential values in upcoming rounds to determine if I want to take a player from that position now or wait for a better value the next round.Interesting, I can see how that would be helpful.

Also, my leagues are keeper leagues, and I always like to see where the keepers are listed and what players are "still on the board". So it's always a pain to re-do my cheatsheets when a new VBD version is published. Here's what I do to combat this problem:A-List all MY keepers in column X (make sure the names are spelled exactly the same as in the rankings)

B-List all the other keepers in column Y (make sure the names are spelled exactly the same as in the rankings)

C-Then, in the individual listings for QBs, RBs, WRs, etc......I have 2 conditional formating formulas that first looks in Column X and hi-lights it Yellow if it matches my keeper list and if it matches another team's keeper in Column Y, it hi-lights it grey. That way, all the remaining players "still on the board" just show up normally (white background/black letters) and are visually very easy to see.

NOTE: In order to do this, I first generate the new VBD rankings and then copy/paste values into my spreadsheet. Works every time.

(Actually, now that I think about it, having the ADPs listed inside the player's name is going to screw up my conditional keeper lookup.....I'll have to get to work to see about automatically splicing that out of the name for the lookup)

Wow!.........it's like Alias and me were separated at birth!

When a new VBD sheet comes out, I enter one of my league settings into the first sheet

(do not copy and paste values as this seems to break the file). Yes you can do this.....I've NEVER had a problem with copying my league's settings into a new VBD. Just take the input tab from a previous VBD file, hi-light JUST the area with the numbers and then paste values.......The only thing I can say is that you must be copying the entire tab which wouldn't work.

1. Expand the Overall down to 102. Yep......I do this, just to see the top 102 players (and I create an underline every 10 names to easily see what round they would go in.

2. Create a new sheet, copy and paste (special) and paste values first and then formats from the generated Cheat tab, then name the sheet something relevant to the particular league - I also create a light gray border for all cells. Huh???......Sounds like you're taking the long way. Why don't you just pretty up a previous version and then generate the new spreadsheet and THEN copy/paste values on top of the old version. It would save you time by keeping all your conditional formatting, your print settings, etc.....

3. Use Conditional formatting to color code the overall column by position for RB (blue), WR (yellow), QB (pink)Again....I do this.

4. Draw a line every 12th (or 16th) player to represent each round of the draft in the overall column.I do this too, but underline every 10 as our league has 10 teams.

6. color code the ranked player by ADP, so that first round players are 1 color, second round players a 2nd color, etc... If I know what slot I am picking from I use that to determine the round bounds. So if I am picking 5th, 1.01 thru 1.04 are gray and 1.05 thru 2.07 are yellow (I just change the background of the cell with the number in it). I do this to easily spot potential values in upcoming rounds to determine if I want to take a player from that position now or wait for a better value the next round.Interesting, I can see how that would be helpful.

Also, my leagues are keeper leagues, and I always like to see where the keepers are listed and what players are "still on the board". So it's always a pain to re-do my cheatsheets when a new VBD version is published. Here's what I do to combat this problem:A-List all MY keepers in column X (make sure the names are spelled exactly the same as in the rankings)

B-List all the other keepers in column Y (make sure the names are spelled exactly the same as in the rankings)

C-Then, in the individual listings for QBs, RBs, WRs, etc......I have 2 conditional formating formulas that first looks in Column X and hi-lights it Yellow if it matches my keeper list and if it matches another team's keeper in Column Y, it hi-lights it grey. That way, all the remaining players "still on the board" just show up normally (white background/black letters) and are visually very easy to see.

NOTE: In order to do this, I first generate the new VBD rankings and then copy/paste values into my spreadsheet. Works every time.

(Actually, now that I think about it, having the ADPs listed inside the player's name is going to screw up my conditional keeper lookup.....I'll have to get to work to see about automatically splicing that out of the name for the lookup)
You can choose not to have the ADPs inside the cell.

Sorry I am back, answering all questions for the next 15 minutes, I will get to work on explaining how all this complicated stuff happens...

I want to post an image of what my VBD sheet looks like but don't want to upset Joe & Company, so I guess I just gotta explain how I make the changes happen...

Highlight 3 rows towards the bottom (still with the green background), lower right corner should be a little square, drag that down to 102.

right click a tab and choose, Insert... then worksheet. Copy the Cheat sheet and choose Paste Special (first values and then formats). I do this so I can actually search for people on the sheet and move people around as I see fit without breaking a bunch of formulas

Highlight the entire column with RB, WR, QB, etc... in your Overall column and choose menu: Format / Conditional Formatting... Pretty easy from there just change drop down to Equals and then put RB then choose a background for that position, click Add>> and do it again for WR and then QB (or TE) - can only do 3 positions

pretty self explanatory - I use the thick style from the toolbar

Being decent at math helps here, just subtract 32 from the highest ranked player by position and draw a thick line under that bucket, then do it over and over again until no players left, then go to the next position, rinse and repeat

Manual process but very valuable to identify values, just change the background color of the rank # by draft round

Finally I do a little brainstorming on draft strategy in the far right of the sheet where it is white and color code my options by draft round as to who I could target.

Feel free to move this if it is not "on topic" enough.When a new VBD sheet comes out, I enter one of my league settings into the first sheet (do not copy and paste values as this seems to break the file).1. Expand the Overall down to 102.2. Create a new sheet, copy and paste (special) and paste values first and then formats from the generated Cheat tab, then name the sheet something relevant to the particular league - I also create a light gray border for all cells.3. Use Conditional formatting to color code the overall column by position for RB (blue), WR (yellow), QB (pink)4. Draw a line every 12th (or 16th) player to represent each round of the draft in the overall column.5. Bucket each position by 32 points (2 points per week differential) by using a thick line under the appropriate fantasy total for that position.6. color code the ranked player by ADP, so that first round players are 1 color, second round players a 2nd color, etc...
7. Make paper airplanes8. Wrap fish bones in it9. Chop it up for confetti and crash a wedding10. Make dorky Feng Shui stuff:football: j/k couldn't resist - glad it works for many of you (it's not as high-tech as my blindfold-and-dartboard approach but has its plusses I'm sure)

bumping a year later (minus 1 day), seemed like a lot of people got some use out of it

btw - having some problems this year, excel seems to be crashing a lot, plus I have not been able to get it to work with the new version of Excel I have at home (running on Vista doesn't help) - but it has caused me to have to generate the cheatsheet at work and then email it to myself at home. New version of Excel is nice - you can go past three different conditional formats for positions in your overall. Now if only we had an option for KR and PR yardage, guess that is another step I will have to add into the positional sheets after I find a reliable source for 2008 projections.

Im going to get updated ADP positions on every player then im going to have to "white out" all the ADP values that came with VBD and manually write in the new ADP values.

Anyone know how to do this on the computer instead??????

I color code the background on player names (in positional rankings) with:

Light Green : I like this guy

Dark Gree : Love this guy

Light Red : Only take if big value

Bright Red : Do not Draft

Yellow : Injury (or other) risk / Pending injury News

Love the trick for expanding the Overall to 102.... also like color coding the positions. I bucketed based on significant drops in points already. Will add the 12 round lines in the overall.

I color code the background on player names (in positional rankings) with:Light Green : I like this guyDark Gree : Love this guyLight Red : Only take if big valueBright Red : Do not DraftYellow : Injury (or other) risk / Pending injury NewsLove the trick for expanding the Overall to 102.... also like color coding the positions. I bucketed based on significant drops in points already. Will add the 12 round lines in the overall.
:goodposting:I do a variant of that as well, you just reminded me of another thing I do, will add it to the first post.

Im going to get updated ADP positions on every player then im going to have to "white out" all the ADP values that came with VBD and manually write in the new ADP values. Anyone know how to do this on the computer instead??????
Go to the individual position tabs.Scroll to the right...you'll see the ADP field.Change it there and it changes on the cheatsheet.

I use excel too. Great tool. Good to have a paper backup in case you have computer problems at draft or someone accuses you of running forbidden software programs. I like to color code my team/bye field for teams with favorable sos for weeks 14-16. That is awfully far to project but the last several years it has really helped me. 3 of 4 teams went to the finals last year. Other one narrowly lost in semis. Good to continuously monitor playoff sos throughout the season

as i was reading i noticed the majority of this thread was from last year. in the first point when you were copying and pasting... that doesnt need to happen anymore right? you just hit the get update button or have i been doing that wrong?

Broke step 5 in the original post to 5a and 5b to help identify value gaps when drafting.

Not sure if I'm surprised or disappointed that there wasn't something sexual in the list.

Also, my leagues are keeper leagues, and I always like to see where the keepers are listed and what players are "still on the board". So it's always a pain to re-do my cheatsheets when a new VBD version is published. Here's what I do to combat this problem:A-List all MY keepers in column X (make sure the names are spelled exactly the same as in the rankings)B-List all the other keepers in column Y (make sure the names are spelled exactly the same as in the rankings)C-Then, in the individual listings for QBs, RBs, WRs, etc......I have 2 conditional formating formulas that first looks in Column X and hi-lights it Yellow if it matches my keeper list and if it matches another team's keeper in Column Y, it hi-lights it grey. That way, all the remaining players "still on the board" just show up normally (white background/black letters) and are visually very easy to see.NOTE: In order to do this, I first generate the new VBD rankings and then copy/paste values into my spreadsheet. Works every time.(Actually, now that I think about it, having the ADPs listed inside the player's name is going to screw up my conditional keeper lookup.....I'll have to get to work to see about automatically splicing that out of the name for the lookup)
I'm having trouble getting the conditional formatting to work. First, I turned the ADP thing off so it doesn't show in the rankings. I've got my VBD rankings, I've also got a column where I input the declared keepers. Let's just use QBs as an example here. I select the range of QBs in the VBD rankings, click Conditional Formatting, then I guess I want "Cell Value" "is equal to" and then I'm trying to select all the names in the keeper column that I typed out (in this example it shows up as =$X$2:$X$21), but I get this error that says "You cannot use a direct reference to a worksheet range in a Conditional Formatting formula. Change the reference to a single cell, or use the reference with a worksheet function, such as =SUM(A1:E5)"Any ideas for an Excel challenged person?

5a. Bucket each position by 32 points (2 points per week differential) by using a thick line under the appropriate fantasy total for that position.5b. Subdivide each bucket whenever there is a 10 point drop from 1 player to the next using a regular black underline.
5a makes no sense here. Your buckets should be defined by any natural breaks in the list (like VBDStudent pointed out) which you achieve with step 5b. I would eliminate 5a from your process IMO.

thefreaks said:
I'm having trouble getting the conditional formatting to work. First, I turned the ADP thing off so it doesn't show in the rankings. I've got my VBD rankings, I've also got a column where I input the declared keepers. Let's just use QBs as an example here. I select the range of QBs in the VBD rankings, click Conditional Formatting, then I guess I want "Cell Value" "is equal to" and then I'm trying to select all the names in the keeper column that I typed out (in this example it shows up as =$X$2:$X$21), but I get this error that says "You cannot use a direct reference to a worksheet range in a Conditional Formatting formula. Change the reference to a single cell, or use the reference with a worksheet function, such as =SUM(A1:E5)"Any ideas for an Excel challenged person?
Try applying the Conditional Formatting to a single cell in the list first (and remove the direct referencing $'s) to see if it behaves correctly. If it does, then copy/paste format to the rest of the list.

Forgive me for being dense, I just started zoning out when trying to read the initial excel directions in the OP...but what is the benefit to spending countless hours on this vs. using the Draft Dominator?

I'm impressed with the work you guys put in. If nothing else, the screenshot of the final picture looked nice.

Forgive me for being dense, I just started zoning out when trying to read the initial excel directions in the OP...but what is the benefit to spending countless hours on this vs. using the Draft Dominator?
VDB is static, print your customized cheatsheet and go. Just line picks off as they go. Your sheet has projected Fan Pts amd Value Pts listed.DD is a dynamic VBD (dVBD) it adjusts for "value" (drop off) as picks are made. You will remain busy in an on-line live draft keeping DD current. That's ~150 picks over 2 1/2+ hours! That leaves no time to plan your strategy, your too busy.

Just wait untill you miss a pick LAST ROUND and have to go back, undoing picks to fix it and redo the picks. (Have you ever run DD and your live draft at the same time on one computer?) Hurry get it fixed before your turn comes!

DD is great to do mock drafting for your league scoring. Try this: use your customized VBD cheatsheet to mock draft in DD. You can compare VBD against DD and practice for your league draft.

Something to consider.

VDB is static, print your customized cheatsheet and go. Just line picks off as they go. Your sheet has projected Fan Pts amd Value Pts listed.DD is a dynamic VBD (dVBD) it adjusts for "value" (drop off) as picks are made. You will remain busy in an on-line live draft keeping DD current. That's ~150 picks over 2 1/2+ hours! That leaves no time to plan your strategy, your too busy.

Just wait untill you miss a pick LAST ROUND and have to go back, undoing picks to fix it and redo the picks. (Have you ever run DD and your live draft at the same time on one computer?) Hurry get it fixed before your turn comes!

DD is great to do mock drafting for your league scoring. Try this: use your customized VBD cheatsheet to mock draft in DD. You can compare VBD against DD and practice for your league draft.

Something to consider.
Good explanation. Thank you. I can understand the desire to have a hard copy in front of you. I'll admit, it can get a little hectic using DD at drafts, especially when players are trading draft picks.

Users who are viewing this thread