What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Think Sam Bradford wished he'd gone pro now? (1 Viewer)

Deuceman

Footballguy
He was looking at being a Top 10 pick at minimum. Now he's hurt and a National Championship is probably outta reach too.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was looking at being a Top 10 pick at minimum. Now he's hurt and a National Championship is probabbly outta reach too.
Really sucks - you really have to feel for a kid that wants to stay in school and be a kid for as long as possible. I used to hate that guys went early, but it makes a lot of sense in a lot of situations.

You know...you see alot of situations where a kid is projected to go high in January and then come April, their draft stock has gone kablooey. This also happens in reverse. Quinn and Aaron Rodgers were in the running for #1 pick status in April but come draft day slid infamously.

That said, I think there were some significant question marks around Bradford's readiness for the NFL related to his 1) experience 2) size 3) physical tools 4) upbringing in the strict spread. With a guy like Stafford whose arm strength is undeniable, the risks of coming out were less...plus he played in a pro-style offense.

Could Bradford have stayed in that Top 10 range? Potentially. But I think he also sensed that he could fall and as such why not try and increase your chances of becoming a no brainer Top 10 pick?

If early reports are correct, he'll be back before too long. OU's championship hopes are far from dead, their margin of error is just gone.

You know...you see alot of situations where a kid is projected to go high in January and then come April, their draft stock has gone kablooey. This also happens in reverse. Quinn and Aaron Rodgers were in the running for #1 pick status in April but come draft day slid infamously.

That said, I think there were some significant question marks around Bradford's readiness for the NFL related to his 1) experience 2) size 3) physical tools 4) upbringing in the strict spread. With a guy like Stafford whose arm strength is undeniable, the risks of coming out were less...plus he played in a pro-style offense.

Could Bradford have stayed in that Top 10 range? Potentially. But I think he also sensed that he could fall and as such why not try and increase your chances of becoming a no brainer Top 10 pick?
Were they really though or was it pundits who said that? Or coaches saying so to smokescreen what they really planned.Rodgers is an example I think of a good players that had time to be better. If he had been thrown out as the starter in San Francisco would he be the same player?

If early reports are correct, he'll be back before too long. OU's championship hopes are far from dead, their margin of error is just gone.
Disagree. They are done. I can easily see Miami beating them and don't be shocked if Robert Griffin and Baylor stun them in their own stadium the following week. Texas must be licking their chops for the game in Dallas as well.

Were they really though or was it pundits who said that? Or coaches saying so to smokescreen what they really planned.Rodgers is an example I think of a good players that had time to be better. If he had been thrown out as the starter in San Francisco would he be the same player?
Do you not remember their infamous green room awkward fests? You can call it smoke screen or whatever, but if that's what it was Rodgers/Quinn were smoke screened as well.

You know...you see alot of situations where a kid is projected to go high in January and then come April, their draft stock has gone kablooey. This also happens in reverse. Quinn and Aaron Rodgers were in the running for #1 pick status in April but come draft day slid infamously.That said, I think there were some significant question marks around Bradford's readiness for the NFL related to his 1) experience 2) size 3) physical tools 4) upbringing in the strict spread. With a guy like Stafford whose arm strength is undeniable, the risks of coming out were less...plus he played in a pro-style offense.Could Bradford have stayed in that Top 10 range? Potentially. But I think he also sensed that he could fall and as such why not try and increase your chances of becoming a no brainer Top 10 pick?
He would have been a top 10 pick. Feel free to google.

Bradford stayed because he wasn't going to be a top 10 pick (or they weren't CERTAIN he would be). If the Lions weren't going to take him, he probably would have free falled.

Disagree. They are done. I can easily see Miami beating them and don't be shocked if Robert Griffin and Baylor stun them in their own stadium the following week. Texas must be licking their chops for the game in Dallas as well.
I agree with Plasma.They lost to a top 20 team.

In at least one of the member's BCS formula's it's worse for a team to play a gimme win like ND vs Nevada than for OU to lose to BYU.

SOS is a big deal in BCS

Not really a big deal if reports are correct. This will allow his O-Line to work the kinks out. They will compete for a top 10 bowl with the talent they have on that team.

Feel free to research Andre Woodson. Actually allow me...FF Toolbox Scouting Report 1/4/2008

War Room Scouting Report 1/20/2008

Scout.com - 1st Round Focus 1/14/2008

NFL Draft Countdown has Andre Woodson as the #14 overall pick in their 1/18/2008 Mock Draft

...but thanks for that google tip. I'm going to go google Brian Brohm now...

The saving grace is that this was the first game of the year. They have a chance to right the ship and win out. Voters tend to forget early season games, even losses. If this was the last game of the year they'd be done.

side note: Go Irish!

I checked with the alternative universe, where he did go pro.

Two days before the NFL draft, he was hit by a truck and paralyzed. He recovered, but not to play in the NFL.

He made the right decision.

bradford's stock could've easily fallen... what makes him different from Alex Smith? he's a smart, athletic QB who played in a spread offense. there's no guarantee he'll be good in the NFL, but he would've been QB 1a or 1b with stafford, clearly better than sanchez so sure to have been a top 10 pick.

Sooners can still win the NC, but are wayyy behind the eightball now.

Guaranteed no legit NFL QB comes back for his Senior year after this

Sooners can still win the NC, but are wayyy behind the eightball now.

Guaranteed no legit NFL QB comes back for his Senior year after this
IMO, the real question is why did he and Gresham come back? Surely there was no payoff, right? Both of these guys have already lost NFL money. No matter when they come back and what they do there will be injury questions.

I agree with Plasma.They lost to a top 20 team.

In at least one of the member's BCS formula's it's worse for a team to play a gimme win like ND vs Nevada than for OU to lose to BYU.

SOS is a big deal in BCS
after the last couple of years, notre dame is not a gimme against any one, particularly a D-I team that has been a bowl game recently. at least they played a d-I team, unlike teams like florida, iowa, etc.

as for bradford, he still is enjoying the college life, something i'm sure a lot of us would like.

Nice spin Texas fan. OU is 60-2 at home under Stoops, they aren't losing to Baylor and I think Baylor is pretty good. As far as him not coming out, he's lost nothing and has an insurance policy to boot. If it is the injury that is being reported, an AC Joint strain can be quite minor and will not affect his draft status next year. What might is OU's terrible offensive line which is going to hurt his numbers.

Nice spin Texas fan. OU is 60-2 at home under Stoops, they aren't losing to Baylor and I think Baylor is pretty good. As far as him not coming out, he's lost nothing and has an insurance policy to boot. If it is the injury that is being reported, an AC Joint strain can be quite minor and will not affect his draft status next year. What might is OU's terrible offensive line which is going to hurt his numbers.
Which is exactly why I and everyone around here were surprised when he announced he was staying.

Thanks DD. I was surprised at how well BYU passed the ball tonight. Even after Sam went down, I figured the DEF would settle it for OU. They simply could not do it. I know it's week 1 and BYU is top 20 etc. but they are in trouble as long as Sam and Gresham are out. They win their next 2 by default but @MIA and home vs BAY are not guarantees unless they are full throttle on offense. If the time of possession continues as it did tonight w/o Sam at QB then OU will drop those games.

This is correct but probably moot, because the real issue is that they were outplayed even when Bradford was in the game.

He should have gone pro, but not because of the injury. He simply isn't that good. Yes, he can make the throws and run an offense but so could Ken Dorsey. He simply isn't all that good without a brick-wall offensive line in front of him.

Feel free to research Andre Woodson. Actually allow me...FF Toolbox Scouting Report 1/4/2008

NFL Draft Countdown has Andre Woodson as the #14 overall pick in their 1/18/2008 Mock Draft

another QB(and in closing a third)then bringing up 2010

instead of actually looking up the 2009 draft

All injuries and all people are unique, of course, but I once sprained my AC joint, and it was at least 6 months before I was 100% again.

Kinda snarky, guys.My memory from listening to draft stuff on the Audible podcasts is that Woodson had problems with his mechanics. I'm thinking that would have turned up no matter what year he came out.

And on the question of whether or not Oklahoma is out of the championship race, I say, let's hope so. Do we really need to see them get beat down in the championship game again?

Kinda snarky, guys.My memory from listening to draft stuff on the Audible podcasts is that Woodson had problems with his mechanics. I'm thinking that would have turned up no matter what year he came out.

And on the question of whether or not Oklahoma is out of the championship race, I say, let's hope so. Do we really need to see them get beat down in the championship game again?
God no, but the BCS voters don't really care about our opinion...that's why we'll more likely see a BCS championship game with a one-loss team like Oklahoma than a zero-loss Boise State team that curb-stomped Oregon.And...end thread hijack.

another QB(and in closing a third)then bringing up 2010

instead of actually looking up the 2009 draft
...and looking up the 2009 draft proves Bradford would have been a Top 10 pick how? Unless google picked 9th.The NFL is littered with guys projected to be first rounders or Top 10 picks in January who come draft day are not. Those were just two high profile examples.

I doubt it.

Why do players just concentrate on rookie contracts.

If they are successful they will be paid. Holt told his agent to take less if he has to but get him signed before camp.

He got paid. They should look long term too. Getting a good start on your career may get them more money in the long run.

He should have gone pro, but not because of the injury. He simply isn't that good. Yes, he can make the throws and run an offense but so could Ken Dorsey. He simply isn't all that good without a brick-wall offensive line in front of him.
I think he's pretty good, but how good without Gresham? I don't know. He seemed to be struggling trying to find receivers once his main man went down. I think you have a point, too. It was just a perfect storm last night, so it's hard to tell how much would fall into the "Bradford's just not that good" category, imho.Give any competent qb a great OL and he should look pretty good, and will often look great, imho. Conversely, give even a great qb a bad OL, and he'll usually look pretty pedestrian, imho.

Joe Schad reporting on ESPNews that surgery has not been ruled out as an option for Sam Bradford....and that the docs still don't know the severity/grade of the sprain. It may be a day or two before they do.

If I were a prospect I'd rather go to a winner
as opposed to getting top 10 pick money? I'm not so sure. Plus, things change quickly in the NFL. Matt Ryan doesn't seem to mind going to a then losing team. Neither does Peyton Manning or Eli. Or Rivers, or... you get the point.

With this recent re-injury, Bradford may now look to playing his 2010 senior season with the Sooners. He certainly enjoys collage life, and a succeesful "next" season could cause him to rebound back into the projected Top-5 draft status. Then, again, everything with the pro draft is a gamble.

With this recent re-injury, Bradford may now look to playing his 2010 senior season with the Sooners. He certainly enjoys collage life, and a succeesful "next" season could cause him to rebound back into the projected Top-5 draft status. Then, again, everything with the pro draft is a gamble.
TC, I thought of this, too. The other side is the CBA agreement. He might come out if there is a legit chance of a lockout in 2011. The top players will not want to be Seniors that season.

Admittedly, I stopped here on the thread, because this is what I came to post. Smith and Rodgers were 1 and 1A; no real winner except for who SF picked. We know the story and Rodgers had time to be groomed, went to a better organization (the ones picking in the 20s usually are), and while Rodgers will be collecting another big time contract, Smith most likely will be out of the league in a couple of years. It is hard to compare people (never really apples to apples), but if you switched the two, who knows whether the story would be the exact opposite. Bradford may be better off ats a 20-30 pick than a top ten (even finacially in the long run). I always thought one of the reasons that Leinert stayed in school is because he did not want to be a Niner...he collected top 10 money, and is in a much better situation to be given an extension (and a chance at that) to be a QB on a good team.

Users who are viewing this thread