What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts OnThe Current NFL Weekly Game Schedule - Thur - Sun - Sun Night - Monday Games? (1 Viewer)

Thoughts OnThe Current NFL Weekly Game Schedule - Thur - Sun - Sun Night - Monday Games?

• Love it

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • Like it

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • On the fence

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Don't really like it

Votes: 62 36.0%
  • Hate it (if this is you, please comment what you hate)

Votes: 39 22.7%

• Total voters
No I don't watch the pro bowl, and comparing the pro bowl to an NFL game is dumb.
Pretending that Thursday Night Football is anything but a money grab by the owners is even more dumb.

But not as dumb as pretending "points scored" is equated to either "quality of football being played" or in any way takes the safety of the players into account. That's just about the pinnacle of dumb.

If this is honestly your best argument for Thursday Night Football..... stop now, you win. Please don't respond to this post. Players that are more injured with less time to prepare lead to a higher quality of play. Just look at the scoreboard. Check and mate.
What things do the owners do that are NOT money grabs?

And someone else upthread proposed two bye weeks per team. A 19-week schedule readily accommodates a TNF schedule featuring only teams coming off of byes:

If the thought of teams having byes as early as weeks 1-3 is a problem, you simply move those TNF games to other weeks and have a few TNF double-headers. Heck, could even make Wednesday Night football a thing since all the teams are coming off of byes.
Well, the league has already had a season with two bye weeks per team and at least as I remember it the world certainly didn't shift on its axis as a result.

What I really don't understand is the "I love watching football to much to lose TNF". The NFL already starts playing football games and charging fans/advertisers in July. If you truly love football why not start the regular season on the last weekend in July and play the SB on the last Sunday in February? Doesn't that give you much MORE NFL football to watch over the course of a year even if the players only played the same 16 games? Your suggestion of a WED night game after a bye week makes all the sense in the world. As things stand right now the fan can't watch as much of the action live because there are so many games being played at the same time.

It's not as if there aren't solutions that don't benefit the owners, players, and fans. It's just a stubborn and short sighted resistance to change imo.

If you are genuinely asking...

Sadly, I think you are trying to use the "A company has one job: to maximize profits. If they have to poison the water supply to do it..... well clean water isn't their job. Re-read the the one job a company has" argument. IMO that's a cynical and short sighted argument to use...... and conveniently absolves any responsibilities of any company.

Prove me wrong. Explain to us how a 23 week regular season where the players play 16 games like they did until very recently LOSES money for the owners. I'd love to hear that argument. The networks would HATE bidding on a 23 week schedule vs an 18 week schedule?

Like a lot of responses I hate the Thursday nite game. If the NFL wanted to sell another time slot why not start 1 game at 8 PST on Sunday, then push out all the other start times 1 hour? Another improvement would also be to allow the league to flex out of games earlier in the season.

No I don't watch the pro bowl, and comparing the pro bowl to an NFL game is dumb.
Pretending that Thursday Night Football is anything but a money grab by the owners is even more dumb.

But not as dumb as pretending "points scored" is equated to either "quality of football being played" or in any way takes the safety of the players into account. That's just about the pinnacle of dumb.

If this is honestly your best argument for Thursday Night Football..... stop now, you win. Please don't respond to this post. Players that are more injured with less time to prepare lead to a higher quality of play. Just look at the scoreboard. Check and mate.

Be way more cool to other posters here.

You can't on one hand talk about how player safety is a focus, then let these guys play 4 days after playing another game. Eliminate Thursday night games unless there is a bye week for both teams beforehand (thanksgiving). While you're at it, quit making teams fly to England or Germany or wherever.

If you are genuinely asking...

Sadly, I think you are trying to use the "A company has one job: to maximize profits. If they have to poison the water supply to do it..... well clean water isn't their job. Re-read the the one job a company has" argument. IMO that's a cynical and short sighted argument to use...... and conveniently absolves any responsibilities of any company.

Prove me wrong. Explain to us how a 23 week regular season where the players play 16 games like they did until very recently LOSES money for the owners. I'd love to hear that argument. The networks would HATE bidding on a 23 week schedule vs an 18 week schedule?
1. No, that is a very extreme inference and not at all a point about justification, just a point about reality.

2. They probably would if they could, but it has to be negotiated through the cba. Just because basically everything the owners do is to try to enhance revenue and value doesn’t mean that the CAN just do anything they want unilaterally.

Users who are viewing this thread