What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tie Breaker Question (1 Viewer)

Dope

Footballguy
How do break a 3 way tie?

In this case 3 teams would be tied at 9-5.

One team would win the division. One would get the wildcard. One would get the shaft.

The rules state:

1. Overall record

2. Head to Head

3. Points scored.

Well we would move to Head to Head.

Team A is 3-1 vs B & C

Team B is 2-2 vs A & C

Team C is 1-3 vs A & B

So...team A wins the division.

Do you go back to Head to Head for B & C?

They split their two games.

Team C would win a "points scored" tiebreaker.

Who gets the wildcard...B or C?

Does B get the wildcard because during the threeway tiebreaker, they were 2-2 or does it reset to a two team tiebreaker once the first tie was broken.

In that case team C would get the wildcard.

The way I do it in my leagues is use teh 3 way tie breaker system when you have 3 teams to break. Once you seed one of those 3 by that system, you then have two teams, and start over with them in the breaker system.

So, it looks like my league would let Team C in.

Thanks for the reply.

That's kinda the way I see that, but I wanted to make sure my thinking wasn't flawed.

first, you need to determine the division winner. that clearly goes to team A by virtue of their 3-1 H2H record against the other 2 teams.

then, you need to determine the wild card team. Team A is no longer included b/c they won the division. if B & C split their H2H matchups, then you go to total points. Thus, Team C gets the wild card spot.

if you had to pick 2 wild card teams out of the 3, then I think A & B would get in. But, because A won the division here, they shouldn't be included in the wild card tiebreaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
In order to break the tie we must determine if H2H is still used for 3-way tiebreakers. If so, then A would win the division. If not, then C wins the division.

Then, you go back to H2H between the remaining 2 teams (discounting all games involving the division winner). That's how the NFL would do it.

Per the NFL:

Head-to-head = team with the best record in all games played between the teams tied

Once the first team of the three has been determined to be in the playoffs, the process then restarts from scratch for the remaining two teams. So you go back to head-to-head for the two teams (which is a tie), then team C wins on total points.

Personally, I would go straight to total points scored and eliminate head-to-head altogether. It's not like these teams really played each other.

Per the NFL:

Head-to-head = team with the best record in all games played between the teams tied

Once the first team of the three has been determined to be in the playoffs, the process then restarts from scratch for the remaining two teams. So you go back to head-to-head for the two teams (which is a tie), then team C wins on total points.

Personally, I would go straight to total points scored and eliminate head-to-head altogether. It's not like these teams really played each other.
:goodposting: Finally made the change last year and couldnt be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread