What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timdraft #4: Movie Category Draft (1 Viewer)

Did anyone else get to the end and realize with 8 or 5 picks left you hadn't drafted a personal favorite actor/actress or director or film - and couldn't fit them in the remaining categories? :bag:
Nope. My first pick was one of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies- Singin' in the Rain.

I've been waiting all draft to make this pick - Tim, this one's for you...

30.20 - Iron Sky - Nazi Film.

That should add to the "I haven't seen it and have to watch it" list! I could have gone with a safe pick, but it's the last round of the draft - that should always be a wild and crazy pick. Do something unusual. And Space Nazis from the Dark side of the Moon are

Isn't that the one with Sarah Palin? If I can get it I will watch it.

I've been waiting all draft to make this pick - Tim, this one's for you...

30.20 - Iron Sky - Nazi Film.

That should add to the "I haven't seen it and have to watch it" list! I could have gone with a safe pick, but it's the last round of the draft - that should always be a wild and crazy pick. Do something unusual. And Space Nazis from the Dark side of the Moon are

If nothing else it's $1.99 on Youtube for the full movie. And yes, that's President Sarah Palin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will update the first 3 posts now. I've stopped updating post #5 since I'm running out of room there. And if you still have picks to make, you're on your own.

No Idea What This Movie Is About - Inland Empire
courtroom scene - Raul Julia's cross examination in Presumed Innocent
fight scene - Boxing Match in England between Daniel Day Lewis and his opponent in The Boxer
gambling scene - Owning Mahowney

best performance by a child actor - Henry Thomas in ET
dramatic actor in a comedic role DeNiro in Analyze ThisCommentary tomorrrow

OK, here's where we are. The following people owe picks:

1. Mister CIA owe 13 picks: Drugs, Outer Space, Classroom, Courtroom, Dream Sequence, Long Take, shooting a movie, shootout, sports scene, movie parent, child actor, dramatic actor in comedy, multiple roles

2. hooter311 owes 12 picks: Sex, England, car chase, classroom, courtroom, dance scene, gambling, monologue, scary scene, shocking scene, movie parent, dramatic actor in comedy.

3. Tremendous Upside owes 6 picks: no idea, courtroom, fight, gambling, child actor, dramatic actor in comedy.

4. rikishiboy owes 5 picks: New York, dance, long take, shooting a movie, shootout.

5. Tiannamen Tank owes 4 picks: classroom, dance, gambling, sports scene.

6. Aeriel Assault owes 3 picks: Sex, dream sequence, romantic gesture

7. DougB owes 3 picks: car chase, dance, shootout

8. Time Kibitzer owes 2 picks: sports scene, child actor

9. John Madden's Lunchbox owes 2 picks: sex, car chase

10. AcerFC owes 1 pick: classroom

11. Krista4 owes 1 pick: fight scene

12. joffer owes 1 pick: shocking scene

13. Karma Police owes 1 pick: shooting a movie

No Idea What This Movie Is About - Inland Empire

courtroom scene - Raul Julia's cross examination in Presumed Innocent

fight scene - Boxing Match in England between Daniel Day Lewis and his opponent in The Boxer

gambling scene - Owning Mahowney

The Bolded have all already been taken. So you still owe them.

I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy; we fought ourselves. And the enemy was in us. The draft is over for me now, but it will always be there, the rest of my days as I'm sure JML will be, fighting with Timchochet for eligibility of his movie draft picks. There are times since, I've felt like the child born of those two fathers. But, be that as it may, those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again, to teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life.

Did anyone else get to the end and realize with 8 or 5 picks left you hadn't drafted a personal favorite actor/actress or director or film - and couldn't fit them in the remaining categories? :bag:
With the exception of 2 I love all of the films I picked and I would watch any of them right now. Instead I have to watch a bunch of crap with multiple performances like Nutty Professor and motion capture Polar Express.
SnobHave you watched Nutty Professor?Eddie Murphy has made stunning piles of crap over the last 20 years, but this one stands out.He is sweet as ShermanA tour de force as Buddy Loveand playing the whole family is a riot. I'm not saying it's Fellini, but it is a damn entertaining movie with Eddie Murphy playing 3 lead roles and a heap of minor ones. Any movie that has Dave Chapelle as a stand up comic can't be wrong and Jada Pinkett is lovely.
Nutty professor as directed by Fellini would be something else. But I'm no snob. Selective maybe. Coming to America will score big.

I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy; we fought ourselves. And the enemy was in us. The draft is over for me now, but it will always be there, the rest of my days as I'm sure JML will be, fighting with Timchochet for eligibility of his movie draft picks. There are times since, I've felt like the child born of those two fathers. But, be that as it may, those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again, to teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

(1989) (Romantic Gesture) The scene at the end, when Harry decides to tell Sally that he loves her on New Year's Eve, books across New York over the crooning of Sinatra, and delivers a great speech that, of course, wins her over. It's a great ending to a nice little film that is quite funny at times and doesn't take itself overly seriously. it's also extremely relatable, as anyone who's ever had a great friendship with someone with whom they wanted more can attest.

29.07 Shame (2011) (Adultery/Sex)

"Provocative" was the term that was likely most commonly used to describe (and market) this movie starrting Michael Fassbender as a man strugglng with a powerful sexual addiction, but it's also "uncomfortable" in the sense that many truly good films are. No less an authority than Roger Ebert (R.I.P.) called this his second-best movie of 2011, but also indicated that he probably couldn't bring himself to watch it for a second time.

here are a couple of mine

Juice -- NY Movie

Swing Time -- Dance

my other 3 I will try my best to get out today, though I am struggling due to a)darn movie already drafted b)cannot find a good clip and/or cannot make up my mind and c) have no idea---shooting a movie one, the obvious to me ones are taken and I have no idea how to research this.

30.19 Prince of Darkness (1987) (Dream Sequence)

Well, I thought I would pick last or close-to-last in at least one of the three categories that I'm judging.

This criminally underrated horror flick from none other than John Carpenter has a few problems, but it also has some genius ideas and downright terrifying sequences. In case anyone has never seen this and wants to watch, it, in brief, a group of graduate students and their quantum/theoretical physics professor gather in an abandoned Los Angeles church at the best of the archdiocese, which has a bit of a problem. As the students study the issue and it starts to manifest itself in several unpleasant ways, they are trapped in the church, and several of them nod off at times - - but every one of them experiences the same (or almost the same) brief dream, which recurs about 15-20 times in the film, changing subtly each time. The dream, it turns out, is not a dream at all; it is a tachyon transmission from scientists of the future to the subconscious minds of anyone in the vicinity in the present, serving as a warning and a desperate plea to alter the events that the sequence depicts.

WARNING: the sequence, which the link presents in montage form, contains a bit of a spoiler that probably won't mean too much to anyone who hasn't seen the whole movie, but just an advisory anyway.

The dream sequence itself is shot with a shaky handheld camera and shows the front of the church and what is emerging from within, as a disembodied voice fights over the static and signal noise to explain this "this is not a dream . . . NOT a dream . . . we are unable to transmit through conscious neural interference . . . we are transmitting from the year one-nine-nine-nine . . . you are receiving this broadcast in order to alter the events you are seeing . . . . "

Just freaky, chilling stuff. :ph34r: :ph34r:

Just listing the draft choices for the one and only category I am judging in this draft. This is alphabetical order - I immediately copied/pasted/sorted so as to not be influenced by when something is drafted, and of course I never pay attention to who drafted what. Negative response only; if there's mistake in the Page 1 listing, here's another chance to correct it. TIA. Should take AT LEAST one week to finish watching/re-watching, ranking and write-ups. I have a feeling this might be the slowest TimDraft judging ever. Best Portrayal of a Real/Historical Person Ben Kingsley as GandhiCharleton Heston as MosesCharlize Theron as Aileen WuornosDaniel Day Lewis as Christy BrownDaniel Day Lewis as LincolnDavid Straithairn as Edward R. MurrowDenzel Washington as Malcolm XEric Bana as Mark "Chopper" ReadForest Whitaker as Idi AminHelen Mirren as The QueenHillary Swank as Brandon TeenaJamie Foxx as Ray CharlesJohn Hurt as Joseph MerrickJulia Roberts as Erin BrockovichLeonardo DiCaprio as Howard HughesMadonna as Eva PeronPaul Giamatti as Harvey PekarPaul Scofield as Sir Thomas MorePeter O' Toole as Lawrence of ArabiaPhilip Seymour Hoffman as CapoteReese Witherspoon as June Carter CashRobert DeNiro as Jake LaMottaVal Kilmer as Doc HolidayVal Kilmer as Jim MorrisonWill Smith as Muhammad Ali 19 males, 6 females. The double selections are fasinating - one was predictable (including the roles), and the other is...well, interesting, Should be fun. :thumbup:
I can't believe no Meryl Streep here. I probably should have gone that way.
I was going to take her performance as Mrgaret Thatcher, but just couldn't come up with something better for the England category so took the Iron Lady there.

Can we post about shocking/glaring errors in categories that are full now? Maybe not, since people can still switch categories? There's one in Nazis I'm shocked is missing.

Can we post about shocking/glaring errors in categories that are full now? Maybe not, since people can still switch categories? There's one in Nazis I'm shocked is missing.
Probably have to wait until next week with switching and the 2 or 3 who owe double digit picks. I told you one of mine- I think there is a glaring ommision from the romantic gesture category.

Filling in some scenes I chose but didn't post.

For my scene that scared me as a kid, I chose a scene from Watership Down. Honestly the entire movie was terrifying ("Hey, it's about bunnies! What a great children's movie!"), but in the spirit of the category and things that would be more terrifying to a kid than an adult, I present the rabbit trap scene. Starts around 0:37.

This was my pick for courtroom scene, from Kramer vs. Kramer:

. I love when she looks at Dustin Hoffman and he sweetly shakes his head no.

It's surprisingly hard to find a full clip of the gambling scene I took. I wanted the FIRST meeting/game between Fast Eddie and Minnesota Fats. Here is a link to some of it, and when put together with some of the others listed on the right you get the whole scene. I'd hope the judge is very familiar with this anyway.

It's surprisingly hard to find a full clip of the gambling scene I took. I wanted the FIRST meeting/game between Fast Eddie and Minnesota Fats. Here is a link to some of it, and when put together with some of the others listed on the right you get the whole scene. I'd hope the judge is very familiar with this anyway.
Nope, never seen it

I'm very hesitant to post the scene I took for shocking scene. If you haven't watched Spoorloos, then you just need to watch it. Seeing one scene, while it would be compelling, just doesn't do it. If for some reason you haven't watched the movie before, it appears that

. But really, don't do that.

I think that completes the links that I owed for scene, but if a judge notices another that I didn't post, let me know.

I need to do a write-up and post a link for my dream sequence pick. Roy Scheider is playing a Bob Fosse character in All That Jazz. When he is dying, his dream takes the form of a Bob Fosse production number. It's not surprising, since the movie is semi-autobiographical- written, directed, and choreographed by Fosse.

I am still looking for a good link, but I will at least knock out my last pick and since I am the judge it won't matter that much:

30.16: Son of Rambow (filming a movie scene)

<p>OK, time to post all the links I missed while I was at work - geez, this could take a while:</p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong>11.06 - John Gielgud in <em>Arthur -</em> Dramatic actor in a Comedic role</strong></p>

<p> </p>

<p>I love his portrayal of the sarcastic butler Hobson, he really stole the movie and rightly deserved the Oscar. Here he meets one of Arthur's "<a href="

">Jumpin' Jive</a>" dance number in <i>Stormy Weather</i> was the greatest movie musical sequence he had ever seen, and Gregory Hines declared that if their biography were ever filmed, their dance numbers would have to be computer generated because no one now could emulate them. </p><p> </p>

<p><strong>26.20 - Jane Darwell in <em>The Grapes of Wrath</em> - Movie Parent</strong></p>

<p> </p>

<p>Is there a movie parent with more heart or depth of character than Ma Joad?  I usually prefer happy or action movies, but this tale of heartbreak and despair fascinates me.  Ma is the rock this movie revolves around, I can't stop watching her when she's onscreen.  No clips available on this one.</p>

In no particular order, here is my initial tiers for Nazi movies:

Top Tier

Schindler's List

Downfall

Inglorious Basterds

Judgment at Nuremberg

Europa Europa

The Tin Drum

Mephisto

Marathon Man

Second Tier

American History X

The Counterfeiters

Notorious

The Pianist

The Shop on Main Street

Romper Stomper

Third Tier

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Triumph of the Will

Triumph of the Spirit

Fourth Tier

Apt Pupil

Valkyrie

The Boys From Brazil

The Great Escape

The DIrty Dozen

Hangman Also Die!

Haven't seen yet

Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS

Iron Sky

This could change...

29.04 - Dakota Fanning in Man on Fire - Performance by Child Actor

Considered a few performances here, but mostly they were supporting roles, and I'm guessing we're supposed to be drafting leading roles for the portrayals category. Looking back, I'm kind of pissed I didn't think of the girl from Pan's Labyrinth.

30.22 - Bobsled crash scene in Cool Runnings - Sports Scene

The film certainly takes a good deal of artistic freedom with the Jamaicans being on world record pace and with the slow clap after they crash, but besides that the scene was very well done and the film definitely had world wide appeal.

Tim - have you heard from the drafters missing picks about timeline of making up their picks?

Was going to start on the long task of judging (have a pile of kids movies and am going to tackle scary scene first) but each of my categories have a couple selections missing from them.

30.10 - The Departed - Death of of Billy Costigan - Shocking scene

this was one i NEVER saw coming. i think i actually gasped out loud in the theater
Good pick for shocking scene but I HATED it in the movie. It completely changed the "rules" of the movie to have a character come out of the blue and resolve the plot that way.

It was based on a similar scene in Infernal Affairs but in that movie it had context and was much more effective.

Users who are viewing this thread