What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timdraft #4: Movie Category Draft (2 Viewers)

Just realized that hooter, who hasn't been here in quite a while, is also our wtf judge. Not good.
I have a deal, if there are any interested parties. I am willing to bet that just about NOBODY wants to sit through the WTF movies. I am morbidly curious. I was just thinking today with my schedule ramping up if I am going to be able to knock out my 3 categories in any sort of timely fashion. I think TT said he could judge a category or two? Long story short, I would be willing to tackle the WTF movies if others would be willing to take on a couple of my other categories. I have amassed a pile of kids movies at home with the intent of doing that one first, but haven't done much with it since all my categories still owed a pick. I am currently in charge of:

1. Scary scenes from kids movies

2. Filming a movie scene in a movie

3. Long Take

I would love to be left with either #1 or #3 so I had a 'fun' category to judge along with the WTF movies, but I know that nobody else really liked #2 though. Either way, let me know - I would like to start watching some stuff tomorrow night, I just want to know what I am going to endure... :popcorn: I can't do 4 categories, and 3 will probably take a bit (if you are OK with that, so be it)

AcerFC

MOVIES

Adultery/sex Belle De Jour

Drugs Easy Rider

England

I dunno - if the characters are in on the "WTF" (which they are in Cube - they don't know where they are or why they are there), then it's not really a WTF movie.

The category is actually "No idea what this movie is about" - I think it's pretty clear what Cube is about - these people are trapped in some unknown place, and try to get out. It's part of the movie that you (the viewer) not know the where and why of their circumstance, along with the characters.

Just realized that hooter, who hasn't been here in quite a while, is also our wtf judge. Not good.
I have a deal, if there are any interested parties. I am willing to bet that just about NOBODY wants to sit through the WTF movies. I am morbidly curious. I was just thinking today with my schedule ramping up if I am going to be able to knock out my 3 categories in any sort of timely fashion. I think TT said he could judge a category or two? Long story short, I would be willing to tackle the WTF movies if others would be willing to take on a couple of my other categories. I have amassed a pile of kids movies at home with the intent of doing that one first, but haven't done much with it since all my categories still owed a pick. I am currently in charge of:

3. Long Take

I would love to be left with either #1 or #3 so I had a 'fun' category to judge along with the WTF movies, but I know that nobody else really liked #2 though. Either way, let me know - I would like to start watching some stuff tomorrow night, I just want to know what I am going to endure... :popcorn: I can't do 4 categories, and 3 will probably take a bit (if you are OK with that, so be it)
I'll do scary. I have a 6 year old I can scar for life ask for help with judging them. This is going to be fun.

3. Long Take

Sure, I'll take one of them to help out. Doesn't really matter which - I'd rather not take long take of those, but could do one of either of the other two.

3. Long Take

I'll do scary. I have a 6 year old I can scar for life ask for help with judging them. This is going to be fun.
On second thought, it'll be a ##### to find some of these movies. I'll pass.Plus, you need a fun one to judge.

I have a deal, if there are any interested parties. I am willing to bet that just about NOBODY wants to sit through the WTF movies. I am morbidly curious. I was just thinking today with my schedule ramping up if I am going to be able to knock out my 3 categories in any sort of timely fashion. I think TT said he could judge a category or two? Long story short, I would be willing to tackle the WTF movies if others would be willing to take on a couple of my other categories. I have amassed a pile of kids movies at home with the intent of doing that one first, but haven't done much with it since all my categories still owed a pick. I am currently in charge of: 1. Scary scenes from kids movies2. Filming a movie scene in a movie3. Long Take I would love to be left with either #1 or #3 so I had a 'fun' category to judge along with the WTF movies, but I know that nobody else really liked #2 though. Either way, let me know - I would like to start watching some stuff tomorrow night, I just want to know what I am going to endure... :popcorn: I can't do 4 categories, and 3 will probably take a bit (if you are OK with that, so be it)
Sure, I'll take one of them to help out. Doesn't really matter which - I'd rather not take long take of those, but could do one of either of the other two.
Cool.Usual takes scary scenes, you can do shooting a movie, and I will tackle long takes and WTF?

I have a deal, if there are any interested parties. I am willing to bet that just about NOBODY wants to sit through the WTF movies. I am morbidly curious. I was just thinking today with my schedule ramping up if I am going to be able to knock out my 3 categories in any sort of timely fashion. I think TT said he could judge a category or two? Long story short, I would be willing to tackle the WTF movies if others would be willing to take on a couple of my other categories. I have amassed a pile of kids movies at home with the intent of doing that one first, but haven't done much with it since all my categories still owed a pick. I am currently in charge of: 1. Scary scenes from kids movies2. Filming a movie scene in a movie3. Long Take I would love to be left with either #1 or #3 so I had a 'fun' category to judge along with the WTF movies, but I know that nobody else really liked #2 though. Either way, let me know - I would like to start watching some stuff tomorrow night, I just want to know what I am going to endure... :popcorn: I can't do 4 categories, and 3 will probably take a bit (if you are OK with that, so be it)
Cool.Usual takes scary scenes, you can do shooting a movie, and I will tackle long takes and WTF?
I changed my mind 2 posts above this last post. Thought about it, thought about my schedule time wise, and also thought about how getting some of these scenes would/could be a challenge. Plus, you need a fun category to judge.

I changed my mind 2 posts above this last post. Thought about it, thought about my schedule time wise, and also thought about how getting some of these scenes would/could be a challenge. Plus, you need a fun category to judge.
Doh!You mentioned it in the other thread- most scenes were linked by drafters, but all of the movies i snagged from our library system.

Doh!You mentioned it in the other thread- most scenes were linked by drafters, but all of the movies i snagged from our library system.
I've thought about it - I'm probably most comfortable with the scary kid's scenes. I'll take movie making movie scenes if you prefer, but I can do a better job on the other. Either way let's see if someone else will help since Usual is busy, I'll take what's left.

Missing picks:

Child Actor/Actress:

Victoire Thivisol - Ponette

Heartbreaking performance here by 4 year old Thivisol as a child trying to come to terms with her mother's death. The movie garnered the following awards:

Critics Prize 1996 São Paulo International Film Festival

Best Foreign Film 1997 New York Film Critics Circle

Volpi Cup for Best Actress Victoire Thivisol; 1996 Thivisol was the youngest actress ever to win the best actress award.

Gambling Scene:

The Gambler - Blackjack Scene

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-jeWvB6xXo

(Starts at 4:43)

Underrated James Caan performance here

Courtroom Scene:

Sleepers - Robert DeNiro must decide whether he will tell the truth or not to save two of his parishioners

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=409_1295678560
Great call on the sleepers pick!!
Love that movie. I also love that the restaraunt where they kill Kevin Bacon is actually one of my favorite bars, the Cafe Elysian in Hoboken. It features great live blues bands.

3. Long Take

On second thought, it'll be a ##### to find some of these movies. I'll pass.Plus, you need a fun one to judge.
It's just the scene, and links were provided on most of them.

3. Long Take

Links aside, with me coaching two sports right now and getting ready for state testing, I really wouldn't be able to do the judging and justice. Especially after seeing the judging in the last TIMDRAFT.

3. Long Take

Links aside, with me coaching two sports right now and getting ready for state testing, I really wouldn't be able to do the judging and justice. Especially after seeing the judging in the last TIMDRAFT.
Sorry wasn't trying to say "suck it up and do it". I was just pointing out you wouldn't need to find the movies like you stated. I understand.

I'd volunteer but I just don't think I could do any of those categories any real justice.

I've thought about it - I'm probably most comfortable with the scary kid's scenes. I'll take movie making movie scenes if you prefer, but I can do a better job on the other. Either way let's see if someone else will help since Usual is busy, I'll take what's left.
That is fine too. Probably the one I was most interested in was long take, so how about i start working on that one? So I will plan on that one first, then WTF, then whatever is left of the other two. If you are more comfortable with the scary scene, take it and run. I honestly don't see anybody stepping up to take the movie within a movie category.

Looking over the category, it looks like Shaun of the Dead was supposed to be moved to England and replaced with Hanna. Both show up on the list, so I am not sure if somebody is missing one, or we didn't get another switch accounted for.

3. Long Take

Um, I took Kentucky Fried Movie - Catholic High School Girls in Trouble. You might want to rethink that.

Nothing of the "boo" variety scared me as a child/young adult, but sex did.

Looking over the category, it looks like Shaun of the Dead was supposed to be moved to England and replaced with Hanna. Both show up on the list, so I am not sure if somebody is missing one, or we didn't get another switch accounted for.
Both of those are mine.

Hanna is in Long Shot

Shaun of the Dead was moved to England

30.11 Lindy Chamberlain testifies (poorly), A Cry In the Dark -- Courtroom Scene

This was part of the problem.

This case was huger in Australia than the OJ Simpson case was in the US and I'm not exaggerating.

She came across as a heartless ##### because she didn't cry and was antagonistic in court.

The case against her was absolute garbage, but through lies, deceit and incompetent forensics she got put in jail.

Meryl Streep was excellent (once again) in this role. Accent was slightly dodgy though. Sam Neil was heartbreakingly real as Michael Chamberlain and I've spoken to the real Michael in person

Gambling Scene - California Split

Lesser Altman, but I love it

The opening scene is great, with it's poker table characters and opening voiceover on the rules of poker

Elliot Gould and George Segal were both great in this

I imagine this is what it is like when MOP plays cards

Missing picks:Child Actor/Actress:Victoire Thivisol - PonetteHeartbreaking performance here by 4 year old Thivisol as a child trying to come to terms with her mother's death. The movie garnered the following awards:Critics Prize 1996 São Paulo International Film FestivalBest Foreign Film 1997 New York Film Critics CircleVolpi Cup for Best Actress Victoire Thivisol; 1996 Thivisol was the youngest actress ever to win the best actress award.
Fantastic pick.

Here's a couple leftovers I had that I think could/should have been drafted:

Once Upon A Time In The West

Shootout -

(Henry Fonda as the BAD GUY!?)Either Frank Langella or Michael Sheen could have been selected for their performances in Frost/Nixon.

I can't believe nobody took Friday the 13th VIII: Jason takes Manhattan as their New York movie. It has Manhattan right in the title.

I can't believe nobody took Friday the 13th VIII: Jason takes Manhattan as their New York movie. It has Manhattan right in the title.
I wanted jason's first appearance as my shocking scene, and until I took it, I was afraid someone would do exactly what you describe.

My WTF of the draft is no one taking Shoah in Nazi movies.
I might have ranked The Sorrow and the Pity high as well.I'm surprised nobody grabbed Bonnie and Clyde for shoot out.
Surprised that Stunt Man & Cell Block Tango lasted as long as they did, but gobsmacked that the picture Brits would probably vote as their most self-identifying film, Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner, went unselected.

sports scene1. Jimmy Chitwood's shot in Hoosiers2. Ending of Rudy3. Home run from The Natural4. Pele's goal in Victory5. Lagaan (Once Upon a Time In India)6. Kelly Leak almost hits a home run- The Bad News Bears7. Rocky vs. Drago, Rocky IV8. Breaking Away9. Miracle10. Invictus11. Tin Cup12. The Karate Kid13. The Black Stallion14. The Best of Times15. He Got Game16. pre-game brawl in Slap Shot17. Cinderella Man18. Pride of the Yankees19. We Are Marshall20. Goal21. A League of Their Own22. Bull Durham23. Bobsled crash in Cool Runnings24. Invincible25. Warrior
I am guessing I can make some comments now?

Thank you for not forcing me to judge:

Jerry Maguire

Ricky Bobby something

The longest yard (the remake)

Field of Dreams

The Mighty Ducks

Youngblood

Switching Goals

Why wasn't it picked?:

Brian's Song (guessing it was because it was a made-for-tv movie?)

Mean Machine

Major League

Chak De! India

The Rocket (This could've been the top pick, with multiple scenes)

Goon

The Football Factory

The Miracle of Bern

Chariots of Fire (I think this was put in another category?)

I am spending much of my time in terms of the Nazi category trying to decide which of two films is the worst pick. Usually in every category there's one pretty awful pick, so this is an easy chore. Here there are two movies selected so incredibly bad that they are highly competitive. And it's really a close call...

Why wasn't it picked?:

Mean Machine

Major League

Chak De! India

Goon

The Football Factory

The Miracle of Bern

really thought about those two (I picked Slapshot, so I was definitely going with sports comedy) - couldn't decide on a defining scene for either, and liked the slapshot brawl just a little better (mostly for the aftermath when they're listening to the anthem)

I am spending much of my time in terms of the Nazi category trying to decide which of two films is the worst pick. Usually in every category there's one pretty awful pick, so this is an easy chore. Here there are two movies selected so incredibly bad that they are highly competitive. And it's really a close call...
so I take it you finally watched Ilsa.

Why wasn't it picked?:

Mean Machine

Major League

Chak De! India

Goon

The Football Factory

The Miracle of Bern

really thought about those two (I picked Slapshot, so I was definitely going with sports comedy) - couldn't decide on a defining scene for either, and liked the slapshot brawl just a little better (mostly for the aftermath when they're listening to the anthem)
I think you made the right call.

Users who are viewing this thread