What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timdraft #4: Movie Category Draft (1 Viewer)

What categories are left, and who is supposed to judge them?
Unfortunately I don't know. The OP was partially erased, and I can't add anything to it. I'm sorry.
You or someone else could backtrack through the thread and find out.

Just for the record I am doing Sex/Adultery and Fight Scene, but you've moved onto your next project so this thread will likely die before we get to 20 categories judged, let alone 30.
I haven't "moved on" to any next project. The "most admired" thing takes a few minutes to post.

I could go through the thread but I'm too lazy to do so. I'm hoping somebody else has this information.
What info do you want? I've had page 1 open in a tab forever, so I still have an uncorrupted version (not 100% up to date, don't remember when I last refreshed it, has to be at least a week or two old).

I believe the unfinished categories are:

MOVIES

Adultery/sex

No Idea What This Movie Is About

Rock and Roll

Spies

SCENES

courtroom scene

dream sequence

fight scene

gambling scene

monologue

shooting a movie scene

shootout

PORTRAYALS

best performance by a child actor

best portrayal of a real/historical person

dramatic actor in a comedic role

multiple performances in a movie

Do you want me to try to repost any of the original page posts?
Thanks! Do you know who the judges are supposed to be? (I have child stars).

Here's a copy of the judging list:

Movies

1. Adultery/sex (John Madden's Lunchbox)
2. Drugs (Tremendous Upside)
3. England (John Madden's Lunchbox)
4. Spies (Tremendous Upside)
5. Nazis (timschochet)
6. New York (Tremendous Upside)
7. Outer Space (Val Rannous)
8. Rock and Roll (Jzilla)
9. Superheroes (Aerial Assault)
10. No idea what this movie is about (Karma Police)

Scenes
1. shocking scene (jwb)
2. Dance scene (tish155)
3. romantic gesture (krista4)
4. shootout (Jzilla)
5. fight scene (John Madden's Lunchbox)
6. gambling scene (Scott Norwood)
7. car chase (jwb)
8. monologue (Tiannamen Tank)
9. courtroom scene (Aerial Assault)
10. classroom scene (AcerFC)
11. shooting a movie scene (Karma Police)
12. sports scene (Charvik)
13. dream sequence (Aerial Assault)
14. scene that scared you as a kid (Val Rannous)
15. long take (Karma Police)

Portayals
1. multiple performances in a movie (Nick Vermeil)
2. best movie parent (timschochet)
3. dramatic actor in a comedic role (Kumerica)
4. best performance by child actor (Jzilla)
5. best portrayal of a real/historical person (BobbyLayne)

Thank you so much for that!

OK. If you are on that list for an uncompleted category, you need to come in here and post when you will be done, and you need to do it by this weekend. Come Monday morning if you have not posted I will open the category up to whoever wants it.

I will have child stars done within 1 weeks time or less.

Thank you so much for that!

OK. If you are on that list for an uncompleted category, you need to come in here and post when you will be done, and you need to do it by this weekend. Come Monday morning if you have not posted I will open the category up to whoever wants it.

I will have child stars done within 1 weeks time or less.
As stated I have Sex/Adultery and Fight scenes to do.

Sex/Adultery is 60% done, but unfortunately I have the long movies such as Dr Zhivago to go. I will watch the remaining movies in their entirity to get a concept of their relation to the category.

Guys, I don't know what to tell you. I am not allowed to make any more changes to the OP. Apparently the new format has a maximum amount of changes I can make- it won't accept any more. It also screwed up the 2nd and 3rd post and won't allow me to fix it. (Look for yourself). It appears that this may be the last draft we ever do, because the new format makes it too difficult.

Anyhow, here is the corrected scoring:

Total Rankings after 15 Categories

Nick Vermiel 245

AcerFC 234

Karma Police 230

krista4 227

BobbyLayne 215

Tremendous Upside 214

timschochet 210

Val Rannous 209

Mrs. Rannous 202

John Madden's Lunchbox 199

Aerial Assault 197

Andy Dufresne 196

Tiannamen Tank 185

Time Kibitzer 182

jwb 181

Doug B 178

higgins 172

Mister CIA 163

tish155 163

Joffer 155

Dr. Octopus 151

rikishiboy 140

hooter311 137

Usual21 124

Kumerica 120
Thanks for the update

I will complete Dream Sequences by this weekend and Courtroom Scenes within a week after that.

Thanks, Val, for providing the needed activation energy to get this thing going again. And Tim, start a spreadsheet for the scores, my man. :)

I've still got 3 to watch in multiple performances. If anyone has seen Cloud Atlas and sunshine perhaps you can help me out. Moon is the other and I have a copy.

I've still got 3 to watch in multiple performances. If anyone has seen Cloud Atlas and sunshine perhaps you can help me out. Moon is the other and I have a copy.
I've read the noveal and I've seen the movie. I don't remember which actor/actresses was taken but to be honest none of the performances were particularly noteworthy, except for perhaps Jim Broadbent.

Did you watch The Lizze McGuire Movie yet? Fantastic performance by that Duff girl.

will throw my hat into the ring and will happily take an unclaimed category next Monday. This was too good a draft to go unfinished.

I will complete Dream Sequences by this weekend and Courtroom Scenes within a week after that.

Thanks, Val, for providing the needed activation energy to get this thing going again. And Tim, start a spreadsheet for the scores, my man. :)
DougB has been kind enough to agree to do this.

I will volunteer to judge anything needed as well, but I won't watch anything I haven't seen before. I will do research and give write-ups, so pick your poison.
To me, this was all that was ever required. Reputational judging gets a bad rap around here :D

I've read the noveal and I've seen the movie. I don't remember which actor/actresses was taken but to be honest none of the performances were particularly noteworthy, except for perhaps Jim Broadbent.

Did you watch The Lizze McGuire Movie yet? Fantastic performance by that Duff girl.
I did, but there was a fair ammount of fast forwarding.

Aerial Assault said:
Doug B said:
I will volunteer to judge anything needed as well, but I won't watch anything I haven't seen before. I will do research and give write-ups, so pick your poison.
To me, this was all that was ever required. Reputational judging gets a bad rap around here :D
Word. Does anyone really think I watched all 25 of those superhero movies??

I did, though.
Nerd.

(Not that I wouldn't have done the same thing - you grabbed the category I wanted most to judge - but you did a fantastic job so I'm probably happier this way!)

I have Dramatic Actors in Comedic Roles. Write-ups are about 60% done. Will try to finish Sunday.
will throw my hat into the ring and will happily take an unclaimed category next Monday. This was too good a draft to go unfinished.
Spies will be done this weekend
:coffee:

I have Dramatic Actors in Comedic Roles. Write-ups are about 60% done. Will try to finish Sunday.
Tim asked for official word from people.

What's open, Tim - I'll do one.

Yes, I've read the thread. ;) My point was that the people above all said they'd be done this past weekend. As for you, I was pointing out that you should be able to get a category today from those that are open. Capisce?

Movies

1. Adultery/sex (John Madden's Lunchbox) working on it- 60% done

2. Drugs (Tremendous Upside) Completed

3. England (John Madden's Lunchbox) Completed

4. Spies (Tremendous Upside) This Weekend?

5. Nazis (timschochet) Completed

6. New York (Tremendous Upside) Completed

7. Outer Space (Val Rannous) Completed

9. Superheroes (Aerial Assault) Completed

Scenes

1. shocking scene (jwb) Completed

2. Dance scene (tish155) Completed

3. romantic gesture (krista4) Completed

4. shootout (Jzilla)

5. fight scene (John Madden's Lunchbox) Working on it

7. car chase (jwb) Completed

8. monologue (Tiannamen Tank) Working on it

9. courtroom scene (Aerial Assault) Next week

10. classroom scene (AcerFC) Completed

12. sports scene (Charvik) Completed

13. dream sequence (Aerial Assault) This weekend?

14. scene that scared you as a kid (Val Rannous) Completed

15. long take (Karma Police) Completed

Portayals

1. multiple performances in a movie (Nick Vermeil) Still Working

2. best movie parent (timschochet) Completed

3. dramatic actor in a comedic role (Kumerica) 60% done

4. best performance by child actor (timschochet) This week

OK, based on this, here are the categories now open:

Rock and Roll

No idea what this movie is about

Shootout

gambling scene

Shooting a movie scene

best portray of a real/historical person

JWB, Frosticulus, or anyone else, take any of these you want, as many as you want. First come first served.

Movies

Scenes

4. shootout (Jzilla)

Portayals

Rock and Roll

Shootout

gambling scene

Shooting a movie scene

JWB, Frosticulus, or anyone else, take any of these you want, as many as you want. First come first served.
I will take shootout. Seen most already. Be done by wed / thur.

Yes, I've read the thread. ;) My point was that the people above all said they'd be done this past weekend. As for you, I was pointing out that you should be able to get a category today from those that are open. Capisce?
Capisce

(I like how IE10 spellchecks this to "capsize")

Movies

Scenes

4. shootout (Jzilla)

Portayals

Rock and Roll

Shootout

gambling scene

Shooting a movie scene

I will take shootout. Seen most already. Be done by wed / thur.
I would have done gambling scene, but looking through the list I haven't scene enough of these scenes. Plus I'd probably rank White Men Can't Jump way too high because it is awesome and I can hear Jimi.

Capisce

(I like how IE10 spellchecks this to "capsize")
:lmao:

I'm working on the shootouts - will hopefully finish tonight (this thread is a mess to search.)

Dream Sequences are done. Needs polishing. I'm in a bout of malaise due to a work surprise so I'll snap out of that ASAP.
Might as well post what you have. I think the prospect of "polishing" the rankings is one of those that just kills judging efforts sometimes.

Dream Sequences are done. Needs polishing. I'm in a bout of malaise due to a work surprise so I'll snap out of that ASAP.
Might as well post what you have. I think the prospect of "polishing" the rankings is one of those that just kills judging efforts sometimes.
:rolleyes: Dude, just stop. I think my judging record in this draft has been okay so far. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Dream Sequences are the next ones to go up. Chill?

:rolleyes: Dude, just stop. I think my judging record in this draft has been okay so far. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Dream Sequences are the next ones to go up. Chill?
No vilification or offense intended. I've bailed on judging a category before, and I remember why I did it. Just figured others get faced with the same issue sometimes.

EDIT: Just realized this post can be read as if I think you're bailing. Not the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
No vilification or offense intended. I've bailed on judging a category before, and I remember why I did it. Just figured others get faced with the same issue sometimes.
I see; then I'm sorry for the rolleyes. I will not bail on either of my categories. After writing 30-35 pages in Word on superheroes, I couldn't believe how easy the DS judging was. By polishing, I really just meant adjusting the rankings. And I really have been in quite a funk, now at an end.

As an observer, I think it sometimes seems like the judging is more competitive than the drafting itself, and it makes some who volunteered to judge to dread doing it, because they feel they have to write a novel. I don't know how interest is continued in the long gaps between judging.

As an observer, I think it sometimes seems like the judging is more competitive than the drafting itself, and it makes some who volunteered to judge to dread doing it, because they feel they have to write a novel. I don't know how interest is continued in the long gaps between judging.
You may well be right about some people; I don't know. But I wrote a ton about superheroes because I like to write, and it was fun to depart from the usual subject matter of my two blogs. (I wrote long-### posts on Songs About Time and Songs About Songs in the last timdraft for the same reason, and loved it.)

For some, yea, that's probably so. Can only speak for myself, but I only write one or two line explanations, and I'm comfy doing that - I judge in almost every draft.

[SIZE=small]Shootout Rankings[/SIZE]

I didn't have this category to start with, and the criteria was fairly simple ("anything goes, realism counts"). But I took realism within the context of the film (sorry, but the awesome Matrix shootout is ranking high). As far as "anything goes", 24 of you took a shootout in the classic sense, and one guy took D-Day... errr, ok. It's either a brilliant 25 pointer, or it's last. Being that 24 of you saw the criteria and still took a "real" shootout, guess which it is.

These are more or less how much I liked them - I comment some on technical merit or dull or whatnot, but don't read too much into it (no "but you said this about the 3 pointer, but your 20 pointer does it too"). Some surprises, but in general terms, the high picks did well.

Not going to break these up into 4 posts - here's the whole ball of wax:

1 point – Opening to Saving Private Ryan

I didn’t make the criteria, but a battle isn’t a shootout in the classic sense.

2 Points – A Fistful of Dollars

I hate to do this to Clint and Sergio, but this is a terrible shootout. I saw this as a kid, and even then was thinking “why not shoot his head, or legs?”

3 points - High Noon

A “classic” old-time western shootout… the problem is, most classic old time western shootouts were terrible. In judging, I try to look back within the context of the time period, but in this case, Hollywood really had a lot to learn. For an old western, I’d have preferred Shane or even Cat Ballou’s short gunfights (sp?)

4 Points – Silence of the Lambs

Not so much a great shootout as it is 3 minutes of listening to Jodi Foster’s heavy breathing. And not in the good way.

5 Points – The Mission

What could have been a really interesting gunfight got ruined by everyone prettymuch “posing” with their guns in classic gunfight positions. Whether they were covering an area or not, it looked a bit silly.

6 Points – Road to Perdition

I agree with the drafter that it’s a beautifully composed scene, in an excellently-filmed movie. But it isn’t a great shootout.

7 Points – The Wild Bunch

I like the movie a lot, but standing alone, besides from being “huge”, this gunfight just doesn’t stand up. The editing is terrible, the sound is poor… it’s a mess, really.

8 Points - McCabe and Mrs. Miller

I get that it’s a more of a tense cat and mouse thing than big shootout, and it works well for what it is. But it’s still fairly dull.

9 Points – The Untouchables stairway shootout

Was this a guilty pleasure pick? I think it was taken pretty high, but in comparison to most of this list, it’s really a silly-looking shootout. Gets some love for cool tommy guns, though.

10 Points – Boondock Saints

Fun and silly. Very silly. But still fun. Did I mention it was silly?

11 Points – Miller’s Crossing

More Tommy guns!! Fun little scene – nothing wrong with an 11 here.

12 Points – Equilibrium

It’s good, but it suffers a bit from being a bit over the top (and not in a good way), and, let’s face it, it also suffers from Matrix comparisons.

13 points – Collateral

It’s tense, and it’s effective. This is where it belongs.

14 points – Matewan

This is based on a true story, but in real life, they probably fired less bullets. Dusty, dirty “the whole town is involved” shootout. I like it.

15 Points - Unforgiven

I like this scene, and if you watch the whole movie, it’s even more powerful. But I’m judging just the gunfight, and while it’s a great scene in a great movie, it could have been edited a lot better. Very sloppy.

16 Points - LA Confidential

Fun shootout scene in a good movie. Can’t say much more about it – just fun to watch.

17 Points – The way of the gun

Does everything well.

18 points – Clear and Present Danger

I really like this scene. Very realistic, gritty, not over the top – just an effective shootout with CIA being ambushed by terrorists.

19 Points – Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Yes, they hold off the entire Bolivian army, but it’s really a lot of fun watching them do it.

20 Points – Open Range (my pick)

I love this gunfight, especially the way it starts, where Costner just wipes out the dude who was setup to be the invincible opposite. Only problem I have with it is it goes on and on. But it’s still probably the most realistic western gunfight ever.

21 Points – The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Miles better than the other Spaghetti Western picked. Classic scene by Sergio Leone

22 Points – Desperado Bar Scene

What a fun scene this is. Very underrated series of movies

23 Points – Scarface

Classic scene spawns an iconic line.

24 Points - The Matrix

This series of films got really, really silly, and somewhat makes us forget how ridiculously cool The Matrix really was. This was an incredible gunfight / action sequence, and worthy of this slot.

25 Points – Heat

Easily the best gunfight ever put to film. Excellent in every way. Small note – the drive-in gunfight would have finished pretty high too.

[SIZE=small]Final Shootout Rankings:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]1 point – Opening to Saving Private Ryan[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]2 Points – A Fistful of Dollars[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]3 points - High Noon[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]4 Points – Silence of the Lambs[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]5 Points – The Mission[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]6 Points – Road to Perdition[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]7 Points – The Wild Bunch[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]8 Points - McCabe and Mrs. Miller[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]9 Points – The Untouchables stairway shootout[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]10 Points – Boondock Saints[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]11 Points – Miller’s Crossing[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]12 Points – Equilibrium[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]13 points – Collateral[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]14 points – Matewan[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]15 Points - Unforgiven[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]16 Points - LA Confidential[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]17 Points – The way of the gun [/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]18 points – Clear and Present Danger[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]19 Points – Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]20 Points – Open Range (my pick) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]21 Points – The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]22 Points – Desperado Bar Scene[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]23 Points – Scarface[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]24 Points - The Matrix[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]25 Points – Heat[/SIZE]

Final Shootout Rankings:

3 points - High Noon

5 Points – The Mission

12 Points – Equilibrium

13 points – Collateral

14 points – Matewan

15 Points - Unforgiven

23 Points – Scarface

24 Points - The Matrix

25 Points – Heat
Nice work! I probably would have had Untouchables and Millers Crossing higher but hard to quibble with these rankings.

Final Shootout Rankings:

3 points - High Noon

5 Points – The Mission

12 Points – Equilibrium

13 points – Collateral

14 points – Matewan

15 Points - Unforgiven

23 Points – Scarface

24 Points - The Matrix

25 Points – Heat
Nice work! I probably would have had Untouchables and Millers Crossing higher but hard to quibble with these rankings.
Funny - at first glance at the picks, I thought the Untouchables would be higher - a lot higher. But it's been years since I've seen it, and it's just... it's cheesy, really.

Good job, jwb! Hopefully Doug B is keeping score.

I know I promised child stars before the end of the week, but I have been completely tied up, and I am going out of town all next week, so I won't get to it until the week after next. I apologize.

If there are still unclaimed categories left at that point I suppose I will take them as well.

I know I promised child stars before the end of the week, but I have been completely tied up, and I am going out of town all next week, so I won't get to it until the week after next. I apologize.
For someone who is completely tied up, you sure do a lot of posting in other threads.

For some, yea, that's probably so. Can only speak for myself, but I only write one or two line explanations, and I'm comfy doing that - I judge in almost every draft.
Nice job on the shootout scenes.

[SIZE=medium]DREAM SEQUENCES[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Boring Prologue[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]This was a difficult category to judge. Most drafters did a really good job, as pretty much all of the “iconic” dream sequences that I thought of at the “inception” (ha hee) of the draft (motion made and granted that I am not anyone’s idea of a film expert) were taken. There was a good mix of the serious, the scary, the silly, and the snob. No, not really, on the last one. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I thought about ironically imposing some sort of goofily rigid mathematical grading system on a category featuring film excerpts that, by definition, defy rules and convention, but for some reason decided against this deathlessly hilarious stab at meta-humor. Remember, the submissions being judged are scenes. You might notice a film discussed as a whole here and there, but no one should be too shocked if a consensus classic of a film ends up with a not-so-dreamy ranking. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Knowing I was judging this category from a fairly early stage, I saved each YT clip into a separate file as the picks were made, so I didn’t have to review them from scratch. This handily prevented me from knowing who picked what, but it also means that if you had some big epiphany and went back and changed which scene you picked on page 76 or something, I might not have caught it - - but I did try to pay attention to ensure that wouldn’t happen. And now, let’s count backwards from 99, numerically sort a few sheep, and get to the sequences of our dreams. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]25. Waking Life (2001)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] There are some interesting philosophical ideas here in a discussion about lucid dreaming, but the selected sequence is mostly a hamhanded series of random convos between four animated tools, three of whom can only dream of acting their way out of a wet paper bag; the other is superfluously armed with a four-string guitar. As a bonus, both the first and the last of the three sages with whom the principal character converses are thinly-closeted serial killers. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]24. American Beauty (1999)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] Kevin Spacey’s rose petals dream where the flower parts strategically cover every segment of Mena Suvari that anyone was interested in seeing. So, yeah, not much of a dream. Disappointing. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]23. Dreams (1990)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] This is the “Crows” segment from Akira Kurosawa’s film about his own dreams, featuring a Japanese dude running around in a Gilligan hat while, offscreen, a pianist who will not be subordinated bangs out Chopin’s “Raindrop” prelude. The trick here is that Gilligan-san is actually TRAVELING THROUGH VAN GOGH PAINTINGS, courtesy of Industrial Light and Magic, before he meets up with Van Gogh himself, who is played by Martin Scorcese, a bit of possibly unintentional comedy that the drafter wisely left out of the submitted clip. The problem is that this sequence really goes nowhere. Either the scary “Mount Fuji in Red” vignette from this flick or any of the scenes from Rashomon could have been a serious honors contender. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]22. Vertigo (1958)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] Jimmy Stewart finds himself trapped in a Hitchockian nightmare sequence. Great film, of course, but not really all that great of a dream sequence thanks to the bizarre animation. The score is good as far as heightening the tension, however. Scottie should probably have quit sleeping during the day if this was going to be the result. I wish this one had skipped the animation and just stuck with more images like the people giving Stewart completely emotionless looks and the graveside visit. Loses points for the utterly ridiculous part where Stewart is reduced to a floating head. In an unrelated story, I just remembered why I vastly prefer Rear Window to Vertigo. We’ll see Hitchcock again muuuuch later. [/SIZE]

Users who are viewing this thread