What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans 2015 in-season thread (1 Viewer)

Lewan and Delanie Walker on the radio answering Qs http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=1531&c=13561&f=4817083

first TD prediction-antonio and sankey

so many gifted athletes on the team, who would you like to be like- Lewan said Hunter. Delanie said Wright because he stops on a dime

Playful banter-we both do the same thing, I'd catch passes like you if coach sent me out. Delanie-yeah and I always have to block the top DE

Lewan will be on every week. You could tell he was nervous at first then got much more comfy. He's a bit of a goof, might be a fun show. If I didn't mention previously, he's starting to shape N grow a handlebar moustache.

Oh and neither haven't seen West much in practice, said they were busy with their own thing. I'm curious if this is genuine or avoiding a Q or whatnot.

Last edited by a moderator:
4 wins. Team is still bad
I don't really disagreeI remember wishing last year not for wins but for them to be competitive. I think I need to step back a sec and realize that is the next step forward not some large win total but to be in games late and not down 24 pts that seems like down 50 points.
Agreed. Just have to not grt embarrassed. Problem is it might be necessary to get a better coach.

Titans reach injury settlements with Tavai, Smallwood and Gooden (Mass earlier in week)

They released their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string OLBs from this preseason

Kept Woodyard and released every other ILB backup

Future at LB gone, it's a good thing Orakpo and Brown have never missed a game...wait a minute

I don't really disagreeI remember wishing last year not for wins but for them to be competitive. I think I need to step back a sec and realize that is the next step forward not some large win total but to be in games late and not down 24 pts that seems like down 50 points.
Agreed. Just have to not grt embarrassed. Problem is it might be necessary to get a better coach.
Cowher only had a friendly visit with the team and had lunch with coach and GM but I like to imagine Mrs. Adams running behind him and catching him at his car in the parking lot offering him "anything he wants" to coach in 2016

Pat Yasinkas

TAMPA, Fla. – Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Evans, who has been dealing with a hamstring injury, expressed optimism Friday that he’ll be able to play in Sunday’s season opener against the Tennessee Titans.

“There’s no official ruling yet,’’ Evans said. “I hope I’m playing. But we’ll leave it up to Coach [Lovie Smith].’’

But there was progress Friday. Evans practiced after sitting out sessions on Wednesday and Thursday.

“I feel really, really good,’’ Evans said. “I ran some routes full speed and I feel pretty good.’’

Smith left the door open for Evans to play Sunday but wasn’t making any promises.

“He was able to run around a little bit and didn’t have any pain or anything like that, so we’re on the road to recovery,’’ Smith said. “How soon he gets back to full speed and how soon he’s ready to actually play, each day will tell us a little bit more.’’

If Evans can’t play, Louis Murphy probably would get the start and eitherRussell Shepard or Adam Humphries would work as the slot receiver.

Bri said:
flapgreen said:
Bri said:
Cowher only had a friendly visit with the team and had lunch with coach and GM but I like to imagine Mrs. Adams running behind him and catching him at his car in the parking lot offering him "anything he wants" to coach in 2016
That's a good dream but I doubt she even cares, much like the rest of the family. Hate the new guy on 102.5 in the afternoons, too. He's terrible

As far as I can tell Andrews should be good to go.

He's 3k in DFS so I have him in a few lineups

Also, he signed with Nike which is pretty great for a UDFA last year

LOL @Whiz's comments going into halftime. What a doosh. I'll admit his style plays well when he's beating the snot out of someone, but it didn't work at all last year when he was losing 14 games.

But whatever. The 35-7 halftime lead is something Titans fans needed. To bad we can't play the worst team in the league every week.

LOL @Whiz's comments going into halftime. What a doosh. I'll admit his style plays well when he's beating the snot out of someone, but it didn't work at all last year when he was losing 14 games.

But whatever. The 35-7 halftime lead is something Titans fans needed. To bad we can't play the worst team in the league every week.
We do get another contender for the worst in the league next week.

Manziel wasn't like in preseason, he looked more like last year. Announcers pointed out he was going thru his reads and doing far better but...meh he didn't impress me. If it was nerves, I wonder how he'll do IF he plays in week 2.

It's gonna be weird to practice so much against little Wright and Douglas then face Hawkins and Gabriel. IDK who is quicker, Hawk or Wright

They didn't rely on Hunter and DGB as he said. Didn't use Fowler as RB or slot.

So many times in the hurriedness of looking at backups getting in, I thought I saw DGB but it was Hunter. He should have played the whole second half.

I don't know if their line did well or those real quick passes were the reason but (like I said in the game thread) I'll take it.

If Walker is out, I would assume no changes on O.

I haven't watched the game yet. But surprised the Titans are for now the highest scoring team in the NFL.

I watched the Vikings play against the Titans and Tampa Bay in preseason. I did not think the Titans were a better team than the Bucs based on that. I thought the Titans revealed a bit too much on offense, but perhaps the practice is helping them execute better now? Or is the Bucs defense just that bad? I suppose some of the Bucs few good players on defense can be game planned around.

I look forward to watching this one later, after watching them in preseason was not exciting at all.

I'm surprised by this outcome as I thought this team would continue to be bad this year.

I haven't watched the game yet. But surprised the Titans are for now the highest scoring team in the NFL.

I watched the Vikings play against the Titans and Tampa Bay in preseason. I did not think the Titans were a better team than the Bucs based on that. I thought the Titans revealed a bit too much on offense, but perhaps the practice is helping them execute better now? Or is the Bucs defense just that bad? I suppose some of the Bucs few good players on defense can be game planned around.

I look forward to watching this one later, after watching them in preseason was not exciting at all.

I'm surprised by this outcome as I thought this team would continue to be bad this year.
you'll probably enjoy a few of the college plays by Mariota

Winston kept gifting them field position or points one way or another. He looked Akili Smith or Andre Ware like but I felt like I could see the nerves. Midway into the second I thought he should look more comfy but it wasn't til late in the game. He's comfy finally, maybe, and then they had like a million chances to score in the redzone and failed.

I've said a long time now VJax isn't good but people here love him. I didn't like him tonight.

ASJ had a sweet catch N run but really wasn't the barn burner his stats make him seem. Pretty average solid good night, not studly.

Louis Murphy was supposed to be Evans' sub. Shepherd was supposed to get a bunch of looks. (<--like this guy) They didn't, in fact I was hmmm did Murphy play? Louis is not a great receiver by any stretch but he can be Nate and in such a way as the Titans last year, they needed Nate. If the Bucs ran some simple short routes to Louis it might have helped the rook.

Announcers named 8 million QBs that were bad as rooks then good, good as rooks then bad, and didn't once mention Locker or Young.

Eli IMO was the worst rookie ever and he didn't see the field at all and threw ducks and...I really wondered why he was still on the Gmen.

He didn't have many chances to pass before the game was out of hand.

What I did re-look at, the Bucs were never open. We take for granted that simple thing but that was some of the worst route running and play-calling you might ever see,

I mentioned Ware and Akili because there is an athleticism and smoothness to his run that is impressive. You can see the athleticism.

I'm not gonna judge Winston til I see he's got his wits about him and isn't super nervous.

Sims had a nice run or two but Martin was beastly. Titans got lucky with the score, Woods was not a good plug up the middle and they were gashing them there. If they had time to run it could have been different.

My constant Lovie Q, for years, is why aren't his defenses special but when he's a DC they are? Some Titans plays were cute but most were straight forward "stop us" and they stunk outside of the LBer and McCoy.

I don't recall when but I mentioned in the game thread. LBer (idk name, announcers loved him you won't miss him) and Verner and their DE were on the sideline for goal-line D.

Verner is a ball-hawk. He's useless in cover 2 and needs to man-up. STILL think the Titans should offer them a trade for him. He doesn't earn anywhere near what he's paid.

Manziel wasn't like in preseason, he looked more like last year. Announcers pointed out he was going thru his reads and doing far better but...meh he didn't impress me. If it was nerves, I wonder how he'll do IF he plays in week 2.

It's gonna be weird to practice so much against little Wright and Douglas then face Hawkins and Gabriel. IDK who is quicker, Hawk or Wright
He might do better with a weeks practice with the ones. Operative word there, might

So many times in the hurriedness of looking at backups getting in, I thought I saw DGB but it was Hunter. He should have played the whole second half.

I don't know if their line did well or those real quick passes were the reason but (like I said in the game thread) I'll take it.

Any update on walkers injury?

Any chance DGB gets TE looks?
No

They have excellent depth. They'll plug the next one in.

It's a JV year for him, no it won't be we're going with just 4 WRs...then today it seemed to be JV year. Hard to tell, but no he won't play TE.

Delanie can play slot, his presence sometimes make them not play a slot WR so if anyone is to gain (other than TEs) I would guess Douglas and maybe they'll actually use Fowler in the slot like they did in camp but not in a game yet. 4th round FB because he's athletic, before Cobb, let's see it!

Last year Coffman replaced Walker and did well. He looked great that one preseason game. He's 4th in pecking order but he'd be my choice if I were coach.

I don't think you go to the FF WW here. Awesome blocker Stevens will likely be opposite Fasano and all these sexy ideas won't happen

Any update on walkers injury?
No, my guess is waiting to get back and get an MRI

Ligament damage is the only reason I know of to cast up a hand that isn't broken. If long time casted, this also prohibits ice from getting to it. They can just temporarily cast it and cut the cast off in the morning.

Have to wait N see, those are my guesses

Looking beyond Mariota's impressive stat line, I think the other encouraging thing is that the Titans proved in a real game that they are changing their offense style, adapting it to their new QB's strengths. Sure, Whisenhunt said he would do that during the offseason, but there was always a chance that was just coachspeak. This is suddenly an exciting offense to watch, let's hope they keep it up.

So I finished watching the game. My observations.

The 1st drive.

1st play is a swing pass to Sankey on the right flat. Mariotas throw is too high but the defenders hits Sankey as he is jumping up trying to catch it and gets a penalty.

2nd play was a run to left guard that goes now where.

2nd and 10 the Titans line up in a close formation and Sankey motions to WR out of the backfield. Mariota throws it to Sankey who drops the catch. This was not a difficult catch to make. Perhaps he heard footsteps.

3rd and 10 Walker gets a nice catch over the middle after lining up stacked behind the WR running deep. Nice throw here in a tight spot.

1st and 10 Shotgun 3WR a RB and TE in the backfield to either side. Wright is in the slot to the right side. Levonte David is showing blitz but drops back into coverage. Play action to Sankey, David a bit late and never gets a jam as Wright runs a slant route and is able to catch the ball in stride. David did get a hand up to knock the pass down, but he missed the ball. Wright is able to catch the ball, which is in the numbers and turn upfield without changing his stride. The safeties were out of position. Number 30 takes a bad angle and Wright is able to get behind him while also evading the other safety by running the ball to the left side.

After a couple decent runs by Doug Martin, Winston throws his first pass, which is a floater to the sideline that is picked off by the CB Sensabaugh

Another fruitless series by Tampa. The Titans defense looking a lot better than I saw in the preseason.

1st and 10 2WR 2TE on the left side side. Harry Douglas outside them, all lined up close to the line. The line blocks down to the right and Walker blocks 51 to the outside. This creates a lane inside to the left and Stevens leads the way blocking the MLB trying to fill the hole. Sankey follows the play and cuts to the outside at the right time and then cuts back upfield. If Harry Douglas could have maintained his block Sankey could have had more than 5 yards before being met by a defender, but 36 gets off the block and Sankey runs into him with good pad level, driving his legs for another 3 yards after contact.

2nd and 2 the Titans false start.

2nd and 7 Shotgun 3WR 1TE play action throw to Hunter on the left side. Hunter does a good job with his route looking and faking that he is going to cut outside until the point where he cuts inside for the ball. I thought Wrights route looked kind of lazy on this.

1st and 10 Shotgun 3WR 1TE Wright in the slot to the left. Play action then a quick throw to Wright over the middle.

1st and 10 the Bucs line up 2WR to the right with a TE and a FB. West in the backfield. The Bucs go offsides.

1st and 5 2TE 1FB West is the RB Hunter the WR. Pass was thrown too low into traffic of linebackers, lucky it wasn't intercepted.

2nd and 5 3WR 1TE Very nice throw to Douglas cutting inside. Douglas runs outside of Wrights inside route, which picks the defender on Douglas allowing Douglas to get behind the defender running downfield. At one point Douglas stumbles and is really low as he is going past the defender, but he is able to recover. Great throw by Mariota who had a defender pushing his blocker back into him. Mariota got the ball high enough to avoid the lineman trying to knock it down. Right on target to Douglas.

1st and 10 2TE to the right side with Wright outside them. Everyone blocks down the left like it is a run play. Sankey runs a route out to the right flat that has been cleared by Wright and the defense reacting to the run. One defender is bearing down on Mariota. Levonte David tries to pick up Sankey late because he was reacting to the run action of the play. At one point Sankey and David are even, but Sankey out runs him to the goal line. 21 who was covering Wright, tries to dive at Sankey at the 2 yard line, Sankey gets lower than the defensive back and has momentum to run through the tackle and score the TD.

Doug Martin with a couple good runs up the middle. On the first one he avoids a defender who had great penetration and still finds a hole once he gets back to the LOS.

3rd and 2 Martin is able to reverse field for another good run and 1st down. Winston with a block on the safety after Martin cut back helped to free him. Titans big linemen are slow.

After throwing another incomplete pass Winston makes a connection with Jackson on the sideline giving them 4th and 1. The coaches ice the QB by calling a time out before they snap the play going for it. On the next play Winston play actions then runs for the 1st down himself.

1st and 10 Winston seems to miss the hand off point causing a fumble that he covers up. Loss of 7 yards.

2nd and 17 Winston throws a pass that 53 jumps and gets his hands on, the ball bounces into the hands of ASJ.

1st and 10 run with Doug Martin for no gain. 2nd down they try a shovel pass to Martin but no gain. On 3rd down Winston finds ASJ on the left side for the TD.

1st and 10 3TE 2 left 1 right with Hunter the WR to the right and Sankey in the backfield. Everyone blocks to the left and the run is to the left side. The blocking is good, Walker and Fasano seal the outside defenders allowing Sankey to get outside for over 10 yards. David is once again too slow coming across the formation to catch Sankey, although he did have to avoid a cut block by Warmack which slowed him down a bit. Sankey has good acceleration to the outside to avoid 58 who was unblocked filling the inside gap and also avoiding Lewan who has given up ground to his guy and turning the defender back inside. As soon as Sankey gets past this he turns and accelerates upfield for about 16 yards. Lewan is called for holding on the play.

1st and 20 they run a draw with McCluster out of 3WR 1TE. 3 yards.

2nd and 17 the Bucs get called for pass interference on a deep shot to Wright but there is also holding called on the offense. No play.

2nd and 17 Mariota faces pressure and the ball falls out of his hand into the end zone. Yet somehow the refs call Mariota down, even though he was never down on this play. He was being sandwiched. This should have been a safety. Terrible call by the refs here.

3rd down they run it out of the end zone for a few yards to give the punter room.

After successfully stopping Tampa on 4th and 1 by winning a challenge of the spot of the ball.

1st and 10 2WR left West and a FB in the backfield 1TE right. They run to the left side behind 45 for 4 yards.

2nd and 6 false start.

2nd and 11 Shotgun Sankey and Walker in the backfield 1TE and Hunter to the right Wright on the left. They run with Sankey on what looks like a belly to the right I see a lane open up briefly but Sankey presses the middle too long before hitting this crease, by the time he does a defender is able to recover and hustle back into the lane, Sankey cuts back across the field to the left at this point, 56 did not get blocked on the left side by Walkers chip, he was pursuing the play to the right because of how the play was designed and is slow to react to Sankey cutting back to the left. The safety 23 had also overpursued to the right, getting caught up in traffic trying to adjust to Sankeys cut. Sankey is able to beat 56 and 23 to the outside, Walker realizes Sankey is running to his side but never finds anyone to block downfield, if he would have blocked 30 coming across or 23 who had the angle I think this might have gone for more.

1st and 10 2TE to the left side Hunter to the right a FB and West in the game. They run a belly play behind the FB to the right. Good blocking gets West 8 yards before contact and West gets another 3 yards after contact falling forward for the 1st down.

1st and 10 same formation as the previous play and they again run behind Warmack on the right side for 2 yards.

2nd and 8 3WR 1TE Sankey in the backfield. Douglas and Wright on the left with the TE Hunter on the right. David is clapping his hands and perhaps changing the play prior to the snap. David goes right for the gap on the right side of the play design forcing Sankey to cut back inside. Akeem Spence is able to get off of Lewans initial block and force 76 into the backfield. He trips up Sankey at the LOS but Sankey manages to fall forward for 2 yards. Gholston coming from behind the play piles on to Sankey landing on his left leg around the knee. Sankey was slow to get up.

3rd and 6 3WR 1TE Sankey in the backfield. Play action to Sankey who then picks up David who is blitzing. Mariota is quick with the throw as Wright beats his man with a quick fake outside before running the quick slant, the throw is behind Wright but he adjusts to it reaching both hands back to catch the ball while he is leaping forward, he catches the ball just before he lands allowing him to keep stride, he makes the safety miss with a quick move to the outside, this causes Wright to run into the cornerback, but he breaks the tackle with a spin move back inside and then almost makes it to the goal line before tackling himself with help of the turf monster as he was stumbling.

1st and goal they come big with 3TE and a FB West is the RB. West doesn't have much room but manages to get 2 yards.

2nd and goal they fake the run to West then roll Mariota to the right. Walker has also slipped out to the right side but he is getting mugged by the defender who can do that to him within 5 yards. Mariota tries to run it in but doesn't make it.

3rd and goal Shotgun 3WR 1TE McCluster in the backfield. Douglas outside on the right, Wright in the slot. Fasano motions inside of Wright before the snap, Hunter on the left side. Wright runs a route to the outside that Douglas runs underneat of, timing the pick perfectly on what looks like man to man, Fasano runs his route inside drawing coverage away from the seam, Douglas makes the catch and scores.

The Bucs next drive ends on an interception by LB Deiontrez Mount. Winston seems to have trouble seeing defenders in his passing lane. Like he is deciding to throw to a specific player regardless of what he sees.

1st and 10 2TE and a FB Hunter on the right side with West in the backfield. They fake the run to the right side, but the blocking if forward and to the left. Mariota keeps it and runs to the left side for 9 yards.

2nd and 1 2WR 1TE 1FB with West as the RB. Douglas motions inside before the snap and the run inside to the left side behind the FB block for 3 yards.

1st and 10 Shotgun 2WR right 2TE McCluster in the backfield. Play action to McCluster holds the cornerback on the left side while Fasano gets wide open on the flat. Mariota throws a nice pass over the defender to Fasano who runs the ball to the 2 yard line.

1st and goal 3TE and a FB with West as the RB. Walker motions into the backfield giving them 2FB they run up the middle with West who is close but does not make it.

2nd and goal they run with West again but he does not make it.

3rd and goal they spread the formation out again and throw the ball to Walker in the seam. 3 defenders are around Walker, but Mariota puts it right on him in between those guys for the TD.

After this score there was only 20 some seconds left and Tampa did nothing for the rest of the half. 35 to 7 this game is pretty much already over.

I am begining to wonder if they will use Sankey with a FB in the game or not as they hadn't done so thus far. The RB rotation puzzles me and the plays West is in on must not be too complicated considering they just got him not very long ago. They plugged him into the plays they wanted to run with Andrews is my guess, but West failed at the goal line and was not being used on many 3rd downs.

2nd half the Bucs get the ball first. They false start and get called for holding (offset by roughness on the defense again) then Winston gets sacked a couple times. The second one he is just tripped, not sure if it was the defender or his own lineman. Punt.

1st and 10 2WR 1TE 1FB with Sankey in the backfield. The blocking is straight ahead and the FB crashes to the center of the line. The LG is able to get to the LB on the second level blocking him downfield. Sankey presses the run to the inside before cutting the run outside to the left where there is a lot of space. Sankey gets 15 yards after clearing the edge before going out of bounds. Sankey is showing a good burst of speed once he gets turned downfield.

1st and 10 3WR 1TE with Sankey at RB. Wright motions to fullback before the snap. OK. The run is to Sankey on the left side. The center pulls on this play and the LT also goes outside. Fasano and the LG block down to the right. Lewan fails his block on 51 on the outside who is able to square up his tackle on Sankey lifting Sankey off the ground, Sankey gets turned with his back to the LOS after being lifted up, he lands with his foot and is able to keep his balance and disengage from the tackle, turning back to the right direction with a spin move after landing. He is met by more David at this point but drives forward for another two yards as David drags him down.

2nd and 6 2WR 1TE 1FB with Sankey at RB. Lewan pulls outside of Stevens block on Gholston. Lewan picks up the LB and forces him outside. The FB attacks between Lewan and Stevens blocks on the left side, but Stevens fails his block on Gholston who under cuts and fills this lane forcing Sankey back inside. Sankey does a good job of side stepping Gholston but number 90 is unblocked on the back side of the play. Sankey runs up the middle but is tackled by 90 from behind after a 6 yard gain. If Gholston gets Sankey it would have been a loss of a yard. The ball came out at the end of this play, but was ruled down by contact. The ball came out when Sankeys was slammed into the ground.

1st and 10 3TE 2 to the right side Hunter and a TE on the left West at RB. They run to the right side but get called for holding.

1st and 20 Shotgun 3WR 1TE Sankey at RB. They run a screen to Sankey to the left side but the linemen never get out in front and the corner is able to tackle Sankey for no gain.

2nd and 20 after a time out because of running out of time on the play clock they bring McCluster into the backfield, Shotgun formation 3WR 1TE Wright gets behind the corner on the left side and Mariota throws another accurate pass to him on time. Wright is getting open so quickly on these plays, no bump or anything slowing his route.

1st and 10 Mariota tries Hunter in the left corner of the end zone. Pass interference.

1st and goal from the 2 yard line. 3TE and a FB with Sankey in the backfield. Walker motions into the backfield as a second FB before the snap. He follows the FB block to the right inside and gets lower than the defender meeting him in the hole for the TD.

Its 42 to 7 now and I don't think what happens after this point makes much difference anymore.

Bucs drive was holding then a sack and then a short pass under pressure on 3rd down. Punt.

1st and 10 they run with Sankey up the middle for 3 yards.

2nd and 7 West in the game. Play action to West and a throw to Walker outside for a 1st down.

1st and 10 2WR on the left 1TE 1FB with Sankey at RB. The FB crashes to the left side between the LT and LG. The FB is met 2 yards in the backfield and pushed back. Sankey stays behind his block and 58 tries to tackle him but fails. Sankey is able to run low behind the FB and gains 5 or six yards using his hand as a 3rd leg to stay up before falling down and rolling. He stands back up after the roll but facing the opposite way from the end zone. 21 is there and wraps Sankey up who is now running backwards. There is a scrum and Stevens starts helping push Sankey forward, during this Sankey gets turned back forward and keeps his legs churning as 2 defenders and 2 blockers get involved before Sankey goes down. This was about 9 extra yards after keeping the play alive and tunneling forward earlier on in the play.

1st and 10 2WR to each side 1TE to the right and a FB Sankey at RB. Sankey is met by David in the hole and 98 gets off his block and pulls Sankey back with the help of 58 as well.

2nd and 9 3TE to the right side Hunter on the left. West is the RB. Some good blocking on the right side and West side steps 58 at the LOS and finds a lane for 5 yards before being tackled.

3rd and 4 3WR 1TE DGB in the slot to the right with Douglas outside, Fasano inside Hunter on the left, McCluster is the RB. The Bucs blitz LBs up the middle and DE Smith comes clean on the outside as 73 missed the block, Mariota gets sacked.

There is only 1 minute 40 seconds left in the 3rd quarter by this point as the Titan ran the ball effectively for much of the quarter. Wright is out it seems already and back ups like DGB are playing now.

I think this is the first punt for the Titans this game and they manage to down it at the 1 yard line pinning the Bucs against their goal line.

After a false start that doesn't matter, then a illegal formation backs them up another inch. Winston throws a pass that is broken up on the sideline. On 3rd down they run it for a yard. The announcers say the Bucs have -2 yards for the 2nd half thus far. Punt.

The Titans run the ball with West but get called for illegal formation.

1st and 15 they run with McCluster up the middle for 5 yards.

2nd and 10 they run with West for 6 yards.

3rd and 4 they run with West who fumbles the ball.

The Bucs run with Sims 3 times and get a 1st down. Winston completes a couple passes to ASJ who breaks a tackle on the second one and scores a TD.

1st and 10 they run inside with West and lose a yard.

2nd and 9 Mariota throws to DGB in the seam for a 1st down. But the offensive line gets called for holding.

2nd and 19 they run with West out of the I formation for 5 yards.

3rd and 14 they run with West again milking the clock.

Tampa Bay gets to the red zone in short order but spends about 20 plays there with all the penalties. 3 times they have been called for illegal formation. The Titans get an illegal contact penalty giving them a new set of downs on 4th down. They also get a false start. Winston takes a sack, and throws incomplete on his third 4th down attempt.

Thats futile.

With only 2 minutes left the Titan finish the game by taking a knee.

Looking beyond Mariota's impressive stat line, I think the other encouraging thing is that the Titans proved in a real game that they are changing their offense style, adapting it to their new QB's strengths. Sure, Whisenhunt said he would do that during the offseason, but there was always a chance that was just coachspeak. This is suddenly an exciting offense to watch, let's hope they keep it up.
I agree and without the FB usage and Mariota runs and assumed lobs to tall WRs, there should still be some to come

Mariota named AFC Offensive Player of the Week. First Titan since Chris Johnson in 2012.

Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota has been named the AFC’s offensive player of the week after his outstanding NFL debut last Sunday.

Mariota completed 13-of-16 passes for 209 yards and four touchdowns against Tampa Bay, posting a perfect 158.3 quarterback rating. Only New England’s Tom Brady threw for as many touchdowns on opening week.

Mariota is the first Titans offensive rookie to win the award since Vince Young in 2006 and the first Titans offensive rookie to win the award in Week One of the season.

The former Oregon standout is the first Titan to be named the AFC offensive player of the week since 2012, when running back Chris Johnson was named.

On September 9, 2012, Griffin officially became the NFL's first starting quarterback who was born in the 1990s.[49] In his official debut as a starting quarterback in the NFL, Griffin opened the Redskins' season by completing 19 of 26 passes for 320 yards and 2 touchdowns while adding 10 carries for 42 rushing yards in a 40–32 victory over the New Orleans Saints.[50] He was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance[51]the first time in NFL history that a rookie quarterback has been given that honor for his debut game.[52]
Hopefully it turns out better for the 2nd rookie QB to do this.

This thread should be able to help out, probably more than Assistant Coach. Should I spend my #2 waiver priority in a shallow bench 12-team league on Kendall Wright? I'm pretty desperate for WR help. Need to make a decision in the next few minutes here.

This thread should be able to help out, probably more than Assistant Coach. Should I spend my #2 waiver priority in a shallow bench 12-team league on Kendall Wright? I'm pretty desperate for WR help. Need to make a decision in the next few minutes here.
There's a kendall wright thread, that's ideal here.

I can't comment on the league and waiver priority without more info, but I expect Wright to do well as MM's favorite target. I lean toward 2013 #s not 2014. A fair guess may be somewhere in between.

I do think 7-8 TDs will be his max.

Kendall is oh so comfy with these college sets and Mariota probably never had anyone with his speed and ability to ad lib with him. Geesh idk that the NFL ever had two that fast running option plays, the stigma was always defenders are way too fast and too experienced. There's a chance for some sneaky nice plays.

There's a chance he's not really in on GL situations.

I would consider all that gravy and just expect a nice year n see what happens

I asked a friend about Andrews' importance and if he expected he'd return and play much or did west impact things etc.

His reply was- did you see MM drop back and pass?

So I'm thinking ohhh the pass protection and ...help me out here, did he? Were all those quick passes not risking MM with bad RB blitz pickup?

Bucs signed Derrick Lott, interesting they clearly liked him after watching Titans preseason tape

Other injuries: Whisenhunt sounded cautious when asked if running back Antonio Andrews (hamstring) has a chance to practice this week. The former Western Kentucky star did not play against the Buccaneers.

“I hope so. I don’t know,” Whisenhunt said. “Hamstrings are funny issues. We’ll have to just see how it goes. He does so much for us. He’s got to show us he can go.”

From tennessean

Other injuries: Whisenhunt sounded cautious when asked if running back Antonio Andrews (hamstring) has a chance to practice this week. The former Western Kentucky star did not play against the Buccaneers.

“I hope so. I don’t know,” Whisenhunt said. “Hamstrings are funny issues. We’ll have to just see how it goes. He does so much for us. He’s got to show us he can go.”

From tennessean
I couldn't help but think Mariota may have had one less passing TD if Andrews had been in those goal-to-go run plays instead of West. West didn't impress me, but perhaps he'll play less tentatively once he's had some time to really learn the playbook.

yes.

Delanie Walker revealed Wednesday that he's dealing with a sprained ligament in his wrist.

Walker acknowledged that "being able to keep (the wrist) stable is the hardest part." Walker has played at less than 100 percent several times in the past, but his Week 2 status against Cleveland appears questionable at best. If Walker can't play, the Titans would rotate in-line TE Anthony Fasano and well-traveled pass catcher Chase Coffman at tight end.

yes.
Thanks, I know this isn't the right thread for this but wanted homer opinions. Obviously you guys are a little biased, but I figured I'd check to see if anyone was pessimistic. I went ahead and grabbed him.

I think he's got a real shot to catch near 100 balls again. 7-8 TD max seems pretty obvious, but I'll take the catches and yardage. With his shiftiness and speed I can see MM targeting him frequently (way more than 4x per game). The offense looked great, but TB also looked pretty terrible. Titans schedule is relatively easy this year. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing though. Means they should be able to move the ball, but might not have to pass as much. In all honesty though I don't see them being up by more than 2 TD's at any point in most games.

There's a kendall wright thread, that's ideal here.

I can't comment on the league and waiver priority without more info, but I expect Wright to do well as MM's favorite target. I lean toward 2013 #s not 2014. A fair guess may be somewhere in between.

I do think 7-8 TDs will be his max.

Kendall is oh so comfy with these college sets and Mariota probably never had anyone with his speed and ability to ad lib with him. Geesh idk that the NFL ever had two that fast running option plays, the stigma was always defenders are way too fast and too experienced. There's a chance for some sneaky nice plays.

There's a chance he's not really in on GL situations.

I would consider all that gravy and just expect a nice year n see what happens
I think you nailed it - he's a perfect match for Mariota. Kicking myself for not going after Wright in the offseason like I did with Mariota even though he would have cost at least a late 1st.

Delanie Walker revealed Wednesday that he's dealing with a sprained ligament in his wrist.

Walker acknowledged that "being able to keep (the wrist) stable is the hardest part." Walker has played at less than 100 percent several times in the past, but his Week 2 status against Cleveland appears questionable at best. If Walker can't play, the Titans would rotate in-line TE Anthony Fasano and well-traveled pass catcher Chase Coffman at tight end.
Whis said Coffman fills in.

Fasano is considered a starter not Stevens so it's not possible.

What I do think is they were very clever in preseason with their TEs and without Walker they have the chance to do this again. Supernaw and Coffman get no respect, Stevens has concrete hands til he catches one, Fasano is too old n slow but...all that disrespect worked in their favor and they seemed to do very very nicely rotating them. Preseason shouldn't be discarded here because they wanted to see each of them against the ones because one(at the time, the thought) would have to be cut.

3 TE set is best here too as Walker feels predictable recipient.

Bad for FF,good for Titans

Whisenhunt presser listed as 48 minutes. "Transcript" shows just 3-4 Qs on Sankey and a couple of Dawg Pound.

He either enunciated every syllable for 30 seconds or the Titans site is really limiting things this season.

Video not there like it used to be either

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread