What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans 2015 in-season thread (1 Viewer)

First- Love ya wright but the ball that went through your hands would have given them the upset. Didn't know it then, but...yep.

Everytime Mett is QB I feel like Whis is trying things. Totally normal for a preseason game, but in-season it looks foolish.

Why doesn't he get in a groove and go with what's working?

Andrews running well and McCluster looking good on 3rd (against a top run D too) why change that? They were both in the perfect groove- Andrews running tough, McCluster putting moves on.

Wright burning his man deep why stop doing that?

Walker catching some and getting nailed right away but still looking effective.

This above is enough for most OCs to work with. Get Hunter or DGB deep with the other underneath opposite Wright. Screen to where Wright has cleared it out. How about some play action to Andrews and fire it to Walker? How about your best pass blocker staying in to block on 3rd? Add the FB, see how they change up. He can catch, try one. Snap N throw to Wright while DB is backed up afraid of the deep ball.

Even within the game there isn't progress but someone tinkering with what's working.

Casey has been blocked well for a couple games now. Sick of him at NT. He didn't belong, I don't want him there for a single play. You drafted Blackson put him in.

Bass made one good play, stunk the rest of the game. I didn't hear a single thing on Orakpo. Bass got blocked so easily. Other times, he stepped aside and I would cut a player that does that. That's "chicken" and complete garbage from an NFL LB. Avery at OLB for a play, I think, was better. I'd put Brown there. OLBs overpursue all the time so we might not even notice so much.

Tavai not signed, Yannick not signed. Make a move right away Titans!!! This was the entire reason Tavai played all of OTAs and minicamp and much of first two games of preseason-to replace Orakpo if he got hurt. Well, bring him back before he signs somewhere.

I didn't understand how Riggs was in and listed inactive everywhere I looked but nice to see him and he made a big play.

McCourty was lagging behind and have up a play. THEN he is on the sideline squat/kneeling talking. I was so angry. What was that? He did not in anyway look hurt and he quit on that play. Then he's about sitting needing a sub? What happened? Somehow amidst that garbage Morgan got matched up on Jones. That's is ridiculous and I'm gonna guess Lebeau let McCourty "hear it" and they needed Griffin there. No one restored order and they gave up an easy TD.

I thought the Falcons messed up many drives and many opportunities and the low scoring game was quite fortunate but all the same, they had a chance to steal a W and didn't.

I want to read of Whis making Warmack run laps or do pushups and every guy that gets a stupid penalty having the same happen. I'm tired of it.

I didn't notice Rico, even more annoyed about Coffman cut
Side note: I really hate when NFL teams are too lazy and/or too cheap to update their websites. (Coffman is still listed on Tennessee's active roster).
look on the right
Oh, I see where the Titans managed to mention Coffman in the Transactions section of their website. That doesn't change the fact that the Titans completely failed to remove him from the Active Roster. The page even says "Click Here For A Full Updated Bio"!

Updated, indeed. :rolleyes:

Bri said:
Paul Kuharsky@PaulKuharskyNFL 2h2 hours ago
Sure we will be told game wasn't suited for Sankey. If your choice of all RBs in 2014 draft can't play any RB today, you blew the pick.
well, yeah.

Paul Kuharsky@PaulKuharskyNFL 8h8 hours ago
Per @ESPNStatsInfo, #Titans dropped 11.4 percent of Mettenberger passes today. (4). Highest percentage in NFL in a game this season.
Wonder how much of this is simply getting used to a new style vs. both receivers and Mett being ungood. (like Bri said, love ya Wright but that one was on you)

The Hunter drop we see in games more often than people want to admit. Sometimes it's too easy and the guy muffs it.

I think some were "too much mustard on it" but 3-4 were totally the WRs fault. At times he was really on target and I didn't think he'd make the throw but it got there. I'm guessing it caught them off guard.

A few still were totally Whis' fault IMO and forcing the issue way too much. Only Walker (and on most teams it's just the TE) can catch it well when they're smothered.

If Wright caught that one. This would be "a learning experience" and next week if Mett starts they could make progress.

DGB had a bad week in camp where he dropped too many and after practice he went to the Jeggs machine and the others came back out too and joined in. I was impressed how close they were to the machine. Anyhow, that one week aside, DGB has some nice mitts. I'd have liked to see some of these difficult ones go his way. Not to mention Coffman

We still haven't seen an effort to get mismatches like he spoke of and utilized in preseason. As someone said on the radio recently, I especially miss Wright screens out of backfield and Walker/Fowler/Andrews in the slot. It is so simple. Like Whis said you can't pick it out looking at the huddle so they have a few seconds to change up. Where is it? Use it, geesh ya drilled and did it all summer do it! And if those three play the slot at all, then Wright or Hunter does...the same DB can't cover all them well they're too different.

Other stuff-

It's upsetting to read "Wright notches 15th career TD!" Could there be a more poorly utilized player? I'd say Meshawn's famous quote if I were him.

It looks like bleeding was benched by Lebeau. Riggs and Sensabaugh were in when it mattered. The other thing which just blows me away is if ya watched them all summer you saw Riggs, Riggs, Riggs. He hasn't been active since week one. Yesterday he is and in a crucial moment he is the one on Julio. As far as I'm concerned, if you stop Julio on a crucial play you deserve to start.

Torch passed?

Titans running back Antonio Andrews is likely to see his workload increase following his performance against the Falcons.

The 5-foot-10, 225-pound former Western Kentucky standout carried a career-high 10 times against the league's top-ranked rush defense and produced a career-best 57 yards.

“I certainly think Antonio deserves more carries, if you look at the way he played and the way he’s run it lately," Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt said. “But let’s not forget, too, he missed a couple weeks of training camp. He missed a couple weeks of the season with a (hamstring) injury. He was largely an unproven commodity coming into this season.

“So what we’ve seen the last couple of weeks is really our first exposure to Antonio in the regular season. It’s definitely a positive.”

Meanwhile, running back Bishop Sankey, a second-round pick in 2014, played just two snaps against the Falcons and did not get a carry.

“He didn’t get opportunities yesterday just because the way the game went,” Whisenhunt said. “That’s how it goes sometimes, unfortunately … specific packages. It’s all personnel driven. Certainly you look at it every week with your approach on how you’re trying to do it.”

From Tennessean, Glennon

There's a bunch about the back N forth between PK and Whis regarding play calling and running the ball

Someone in TEN needs to buy PK a beer

Coffman expected to be re-signed today and.....drumroll...Rico cut, shocker.

Word is it took some coaxing this time. I wish I knew if he got offers or what took place Monday

I would like to find a way to re-word every Whisenhunt post using almost the same words as Stephanie Stradley did here-

The odd Mallett report is just a jenga piece of ridiculousness added to #Texans leaning tower of ridiculous. Weird even by NFL standards.

PK posts his passing chart each week.

Mett only threw five passes greater than 15 yards and one 20+.

That's not using his arm

Amongst Detroit's mid-season offensive house-cleaning was Jeremiah Washburn

He was an Ozzie project in Baltimore, son of longtime Titans DL coach Jim Washburn, who was in scouting and/or personnel.

He followed his dad to Detroit as an assistant OL coach then got promoted to OL coach.

That's what the Titans need, right there. A former scout that coached linemen and comes from a Titans pedigree. Sign him and figure out how to use him later. For now, he can evaluate offensive and defensive linemen for 2016 draft. Maybe an Ozzie disciple impresses and is a surprise GM candidate, maybe he's a future DL or OL coach.

Who cares, get him, and worry about that stuff later.

From Whis presser

(on if he thinks there is still an importance of the Tennessee/Houston matchup to the team ownership)

Yeah, I do. When you come in your first year last year, you don’t know about that. But you can definitely feel it. I think because part of the organization is still in Houston that that’s part of it. I understand that.

I forget every now and then they used to be Houston Oilers and that that's where the owners live

Texans down four for this week, Clowney and Watt hurt but looks like they'll play

From PFT

The defense will be shorthanded this Sunday with or without Watt, however. O’Brien announced that the team has ruled out cornerback Kareem Jackson and linebacker Bernardrick McKinney for the second straight week. Linebacker Akeem Dent will also miss the game, which will leave the team thin at inside linebacker next to Brian Cushing.

Wide receiver Cecil Shorts has also been ruled out for the second week in a row and the third time in the last four games as he deals with a hamstring injury.

It just hit me...all the Rico cut Coffman stuff. They did have a player who could play WR and knows the WR offense and went through it last year-McCluster

Bri said:
cstu said:
Bri said:
How many starts does it take for Mettenberger to get a win for the Titans? The world may never know.
IYeah but MM only has oneIs it a better Q to wonder how many starts til one of Whis' QBs get a W?
Or how many games until wiz gets fired.
Dear God, let it be soon.

Seems to me they should never have fired Munchak (I never thought I'd say that)

So ummm this happened again Signed WR Rico Richardson from the practice squad. Waived TE Chase Coffman

Jets waived Owusu and I kinda like him as a depth guy. If signing him gets rid of this Rico garbage moves, I'm all for it.

Titans should be in perfect position on WW....do something for a change!

Maybe. Texans run D is weak and teams have to run so Watt n Co don't pin their ears back and just get after the QB.

News was Andrews getting more carries but the week before was DGB getting more action and he didn't. In this regard, Whis saying Andrews but McCluster really getting it makes sense.

Normal scenario, looking at a few catches and a few runs where if he gets hot the carry total could multiply.

Also I keep saying this week how he knows the WR routes and with only two experienced WRs he could be extra useful.

In summary, no! Whisenhunt is a terrible coach and will never have a useful offensive player that you can predict. If they had a different coach, it'd be possible. If you must...I wish you the best of luck

While this might not be an offense worth firing a coach for, I was mystified that the Titans did this:

Just before the half, the Texans were stopped on third down with the clock running. The Titans had one time out. When the play ended the Titans called timeout with 2:05 left in the half. They basically wasted that timeout because had they let the clock run to the two minute warning, the Texans would have punted and the clock would have stopped on the change of possession. They basically traded a timeout to save 5 seconds when there were still 2 minutes left in the half to try to score. Made no sense.

I am also always amazed at kick returners who don't seem to know the rules regarding the end zone. The Texans kicked off in the second half to Sankey who tried to catch it a couple yards into the end zone. He fumbled it to the side so that it was still in the end zone, picked it up and then tried to run it, getting stopped inside the ten yard line. As long as the ball doesn't leave the end zone he could have recovered the fumble and downed it.

The Titans did not look good yesterday. I feel for you guys.

I can't stand his propensity to throw players under the bus. In every sport I ever watched or played, ultimately that bit the coach.

Poutasi got owned by Watt. Looney got owned by Mercilus(despite Gallick on the sideline capable of playing). Crick got Looney once and Chance another time I think. 7 but there's half sacks here and also don't forget the pressures.

Meredith came in and it's presented like oh Meredith came in and they were suddenly solid at RT. I flat out had to look closely to notice a difference. In no way would I say that's an improvement but I'd say it's also Watt's fault/credit and what he does to make him a future HOFer.

Whis took no blame for starting just signed Looney.

Did you notice Stevens going out on routes? Where is the Titans writer blaming Whis for that? I was totally looking for that article today. Blocking TE out on routes rather than helping on Watt...good idea Whis.

What gets me (besides, still no FB usage or almost none) is how he boasted of this 3 TE O and 2 TE offense, no one knows which TE will go out for a pass and...yeah I do, it's the guy next to Poutasi. It is almost always the guy next to Poutasi. On occasion it'll be Fasano but it's not all that often. Why is Lewan getting the help? The only guy that was able to handle Watt last year is getting help?

Mett's getting killed and they have one of the best WR screen options in football. Did they throw any?

Did ya notice Andrews take out Watt's legs and he still leaned fell over and grabbed Mett? Yeah Whis barely played Andrews after that-superman makes a super play so bench your best blocking RB. Andrews surely could have laid a better block but that's also even on Mett. Like someone else said "Is Watt not big enough for him to notice he's there?" I had zero problem with this play. Watt was super and not being stopped.

Benching Poutasi...again, how will that impact the young player's confidence? A better coach would have Casey and/or Morgan go live in practice. Watch film, discuss technique. They have some good pass rushers to work on this.

Users who are viewing this thread