What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Today's collusion thread (1 Viewer)

Eagle Eye

Footballguy
Let me start by saying there was no collusion involved. I received the offer Sunday morning and accepted it.

The trade: Greg Olson for Duke Johnson

The team trading Olson is 3-2 and his other TEs are Gronk and JT. He had been playing Olson in the flex before JT returned. Had Olson benched for this week and put him "on the block" for RB help.

Team trading Duke is 5-0, very deep at RB and has kelce at TE. Played kelce over Olson this week for what it's worth.

A few owners have started whining.about it. My question is: is this trade that bad or am I playing with a bunch of dooshbags who are upset because the rich got richer?

Let me start by saying there was no collusion involved. I received the offer Sunday morning and accepted it.

The trade: Greg Olson for Duke Johnson

The team trading Olson is 3-2 and his other TEs are Gronk and JT. He had been playing Olson in the flex before JT returned. Had Olson benched for this week and put him "on the block" for RB help.

Team trading Duke is 5-0, very deep at RB and has kelce at TE. Played kelce over Olson this week for what it's worth.

A few owners have started whining.about it. My question is: is this trade that bad or am I playing with a bunch of dooshbags who are upset because the rich got richer?
Seems like a bunch of losers who were trying to rip the guy off for even less than Duke Johnson. They should have made legitimate offers.

Don't get the issue at all. If it's PPR dynasty I like Duke side. If it's standard redraft I like Olsen pretty easily. Either way it's nothing I'd look at twice. Some owners don't make good trades . It's a day in the life of almost every fantasy league. Don't see any evidence of collusion

Lol doc!

Reminds me of Mike Schmidt's famous quote: The thrill of victory and the agony of reading about it the next day.

It's redraft...

Olsen would probably go well before Duke Johnson in a redraft, so most of us would probably say he could have done better.

But that doesn't even mean it wasn't fair market value in a trade. Roster strengths and weaknesses drive market value just as much.

If there's only 3 teams with enough good RBs to trade, Olsen's market value shoots above redraft level if they all have lousy TEs. But it drops in the crapper if the 3 teams willing to give a RB have Gronk, Eiffert, and Kelce already.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one Brown's fan in my league just made a trade, which I thought was kind of dumb, to acquire Duke. He's one of the best owners in our league (redraft) so maybe these guys know something the rest of us don't.

Thats a bad trade.... wow, thats really bad. But whatever, if its legit, its legit.
lol. which side is getting ripped off?
In a redraft? Probably the team that is giving up a top 5 TE for an injured RB3 in a RBBC. It's a bad trade in most redraft leagues.
The trade was before he got injured. And before olsons big day. It obviously looks much worse today than yesterday
A little worse now for sure, but it was still a consensus top 5 TE for an RB3. Does your league require a TE?

Had a bad one go down in one of my leagues over the weekend, Halloween night no less.

Guy sent Dalton, Spiller and Julius Thomas for Jeremy Hill

Now, the guy with Dalton/Spiller/Thomas has a pretty solid roster and all those guys were on his bench, but it still seems really off. Hill has done nothing this year. Even stranger is the one sending Dalton/Spiller/Thomas is 4-3 and the other one is 2-5.

Don't think there's any collusion, but this usually one strange trade a year in this league and it usually involves the Commish, who in this case was the one sending Dalton/Spiller/Thomas.

All trades are collusion.
Not sure why you keep reiterating this patently false position. Do you understand the definition of the term "collusion"?

Weren't you the one berating another poster in a different thread - wrongly, I might add - because you considered his acumen substandard?

Had a bad one go down in one of my leagues over the weekend, Halloween night no less.

Now, the guy with Dalton/Spiller/Thomas has a pretty solid roster and all those guys were on his bench, but it still seems really off. Hill has done nothing this year. Even stranger is the one sending Dalton/Spiller/Thomas is 4-3 and the other one is 2-5.

Don't think there's any collusion, but this usually one strange trade a year in this league and it usually involves the Commish, who in this case was the one sending Dalton/Spiller/Thomas.
Which side were you upset about, because it's hard to tell from this post (or the trade itself).

Which side were you upset about, because it's hard to tell from this post (or the trade itself).
Think the guy getting Dalton/Spiller/Thomas got an absolute steal for just giving up Jeremy Hill.

Like I said, it seems like there at least 1 trade like this every year in this league and usually involves the Commish. Just odd.

Think the guy getting Dalton/Spiller/Thomas got an absolute steal for just giving up Jeremy Hill.

Like I said, it seems like there at least 1 trade like this every year in this league and usually involves the Commish. Just odd.
If you have a good team, you'll often have to overpay somewhat to get even a slight upgrade. Nobody wants to make the strong team stronger unless you really make them an offer they can't refuse. And remember, in HTH leagues the owner's primary goal is NOT to score as many points as possible. The goal is to win as many games as possible, preferably during playoff season. This trade may have fixed a RB problem for him, or some future bye week issue, or perhaps he just sees Hill as a potential upside RB later in the season. Not unreasonable, imo.

Conversely, a bad team (2-5 in this case) would oftentimes be wise to get multiple useful players for one, and that will obviously require a downgrade at the one spot. That's ok and often is the only viable move because he, too, is trying to win games.

I don't see a problem with that trade. I think the Dalton owner might could have done better, but so what? All these collusion threads usually boil down to different people value players differently, or the guys making the trade are thinking about their specific teams while the other whiny owners complain because that trade woouldn't make sense in a total vacuum. HTH leagues are not a total vacuum. Specific teams have specific needs, specific schedules, etc. and, even then, who's to say that your prognostications are better than theirs? I really hate people sticking their noses into other people's trades.

I'll also note that I would not be surprised if the Commish is involved in more trades in his own league. in my experience, Commishes are frequently more enthusiastic about their own league than non-commish owners that probably play in several other leagues.

Bronco Billy said:
Not sure why you keep reiterating this patently false position. Do you understand the definition of the term "collusion"?Weren't you the one berating another poster in a different thread - wrongly, I might add - because you considered his acumen substandard?
All trades are de facto collusion.

You like those words better?

It's true. There is no workable rule that would forbid collusion that does not also forbid trades. There is no way to construct a rule that would eliminate collusion in any league in which trading is allowed.

You're free to think otherwise, I can't help it that you decide to be wrong.
A nickel's worth of free advice:

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think collusion means?

As a commish, this is what I say to whiners,

"If you have a problem with the trade, offer him/her something better."

Bronco Billy said:
Not sure why you keep reiterating this patently false position. Do you understand the definition of the term "collusion"?Weren't you the one berating another poster in a different thread - wrongly, I might add - because you considered his acumen substandard?

It's true. There is no workable rule that would forbid collusion that does not also forbid trades. There is no way to construct a rule that would eliminate collusion in any league in which trading is allowed.

A nickel's worth of free advice:When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Why don't you tell me your rule that will avoid collusion, and I'll show you the flaw in it. It's impossible to draft a workable collusion ban rule in fantasy football.
Different discussion, but thanks for changing the subject to avoid a direct question.

I'll ask again - what is the definition of collusion as applied to FF? It can't be that difficult to answer.

Bronco Billy said:

Why don't you tell me your rule that will avoid collusion, and I'll show you the flaw in it. It's impossible to draft a workable collusion ban rule in fantasy football.
Different discussion, but thanks for changing the subject to avoid a direct question. I'll ask again - what is the definition of collusion as applied to FF? It can't be that difficult to answer.
:lmao: I'm the one saying it's impossible to precisely define in fantasy football. That any definition either has gaps, or, would define trading as collusion.Instead of being a tool, try reading comprehension.
Your the one avoiding a question it's pretty simple.Collusion: secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others.

There is no cheating/deceiving of other GMs in a standard trade.

The biggest thing is secret. In a standard trade you learn what the trade is. Collusion involves an unknown piece like a split of the pot if one GM wins the league.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bronco Billy said:

Different discussion, but thanks for changing the subject to avoid a direct question. I'll ask again - what is the definition of collusion as applied to FF? It can't be that difficult to answer.
:lmao: I'm the one saying it's impossible to precisely define in fantasy football. That any definition either has gaps, or, would define trading as collusion.

Instead of being a tool, try reading comprehension.
I'm the tool?

Okay, since you seem incapable of a simple answer - the inability to provide it certainly speaks to the position you've taken - try this out:

Two or more owners agree to a transaction where the owners mutually attempt to improve one or more teams while simultaneously having no intent to improve at least one of the others.

Now if you want to argue that it's virtually impossible to absolutely prove intent without a confession, I'll agree with you. But that does not preclude being able to define what collusion is, and explains your inability to comprehend that all trades are not collusive - which you repeatedly assert as indisputable fact.

Bronco Billy said:
Not sure why you keep reiterating this patently false position. Do you understand the definition of the term "collusion"?

Weren't you the one berating another poster in a different thread - wrongly, I might add - because you considered his acumen substandard?
We've had this conversation a thousand times. Collusion is cheating by definition. If the act is legal in the league, its not collusion. By definition. We have a different word for teams working together within the bounds of the rules, its called Trading. They aren't interchangeable, unless trading is illegal in your league.

Helps to provide league details. But regardless of the league details I dont see the problem (unless I guess it is non PPR for RB and 1.5 PPR for TE or something).

I'll save you all some time.

Eventually, there will be enough counter examples and disproofs to every suggested definition, that we're going to boil collusion down to: "an agreement between two or more parties that benefits their teams at the expense of the others."
No. You dont get to make up your own definition of the word, claim everyone world agree to it, and declare victory.

The secrecy matters. Once a trade is executed, everyone knows about it. Collusion means theres an addition part of the deal, a cut, that the league isnt privvy to. If they were, the trade would be nullified because the cut is illegal. Hence, collusion must be illegal in order to be collusion.

Walking Boot said:
Bronco Billy said:

Different discussion, but thanks for changing the subject to avoid a direct question.I'll ask again - what is the definition of collusion as applied to FF? It can't be that difficult to answer.
:lmao: I'm the one saying it's impossible to precisely define in fantasy football. That any definition either has gaps, or, would define trading as collusion.Instead of being a tool, try reading comprehension.
I'm the tool?Okay, since you seem incapable of a simple answer - the inability to provide it certainly speaks to the position you've taken - try this out:

Two or more owners agree to a transaction where the owners mutually attempt to improve one or more teams while simultaneously having no intent to improve at least one of the others.

Now if you want to argue that it's virtually impossible to absolutely prove intent without a confession, I'll agree with you. But that does not preclude being able to define what collusion is, and explains your inability to comprehend that all trades are not collusive - which you repeatedly assert as indisputable fact.
Here's a situation:

Team A is solid, and has been running hot with 2 QBs. In this league, Defenses also score a lot of points, and Team B is just as hot running with 2 DSTs and rotating them in well.

The problem is, Team A's 2 QBs both have the same bye week. And, coincidentally, Team B's 2 DSTs both have the same bye week. Neither wants to drop a player to cover the bye.

So, Team A sends an email to every owner in the league: "I'm trading a Defense to Team B, and he's going to trade me a QB, and then after the week is over we're going to trade back." (This is to make sure the agreement isn't "secret", which everyone seems to think qualifies it as collusion.)

They then do so.

This trade, by your definition, is not collusion. They have agreed to a transaction, the intent of which is indeed to improve both teams. Therefore it fails your collusion test because they do not have "no intent to improve at least one of the others."

Would anyone else agree with you there's no collusion here? Doubtful.
great. So we modify the definition to include pooling rosters. Thanks.

That still provides absolutely no support to your assertion that are traded are collusion. But I get that you still can't figure that out.

mbuehner said:
The secrecy matters. Once a trade is executed, everyone knows about it. Collusion means theres an addition part of the deal, a cut, that the league isnt privvy to. If they were, the trade would be nullified because the cut is illegal. Hence, collusion must be illegal in order to be collusion.
If secrecy is an essential element of collusion, then would you agree that making the league aware of exactly why you're making the trade therefore make the trade not collusion?

"I'm trading away Carson Palmer for Colin Kaepernick because my season is over and I'd rather my brother win than you."

Heck, even throw in "Plus he gave me $10 for him."

No secrecy if this is sent out before the trade offer, therefore, no collusion???
Perhaps, but it simply becomes an illegal trade.

This is equivalent to saying 'Stealing is taking something that doesn't belong to you. And therefore shopping at the grocery store is technically stealing, because you take it before you pay for it.' No, stealing is ILLEGALLY taking something that doesn't belong to you. Its illegality is central to the nature of the word.

Or another example- its collusion for me to tell you insider trading information. Its not collusion for me to tell you my secret recipe for gumbo. Collusion is defined by its illegality, or being a violation of the rules. If its not a violation, its not illegal, its not collusion.

:lmao: Try again.

Your definition of collusion was: "Two or more owners agree to a transaction where the owners mutually attempt to improve one or more teams while simultaneously having no intent to improve at least one of the others."

I just showed you the second half of the sentence can be struck, because collusion needs to be expanded, and the second half of the sentence is too restrictive. "Two or more owners agree to a transaction where the owners mutually attempt to improve one or more teams while simultaneously having no intent to improve at least one of the others."

In other words: "Two or more owners trade."

That's your definition of collusion. Thank you.
How many times do you intend to create your own (inane) definitions of things and declare them definitive?

:lmao: Try again.

Your definition of collusion was: "Two or more owners agree to a transaction where the owners mutually attempt to improve one or more teams while simultaneously having no intent to improve at least one of the others."

I just showed you the second half of the sentence can be struck, because collusion needs to be expanded, and the second half of the sentence is too restrictive. "Two or more owners agree to a transaction where the owners mutually attempt to improve one or more teams while simultaneously having no intent to improve at least one of the others."

In other words: "Two or more owners trade."

That's your definition of collusion. Thank you.
How many times do you intend to create your own (inane) definitions of things and declare them definitive?
I'm making a logical argument. I'm providing counter-examples to a hypothesis. What's wrong with that?

Feel free to float another hypothesis for a definition of collusion, I'm sure I'll find a counter-example until you see that any trade is collusion: two or more people making an agreement at the expense of other people.

It's collusion. It may be illegal collusion by the rules, but, the rules need to be clearly stated.
But you didnt refute the first one? By stating to the whole league you are giving another owner $5 to make the trade it is no longer a secrete collusion, it would now fall in to the definition as illegal if it is deemed you can not bring in anything outside the league as trade value. Some leagues may allow you to pay real money in trade but a vast majority would not and thus it would fall in to illegal. This still would not make all trades collusion....

"secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others."

mbuehner said:
If secrecy is an essential element of collusion, then would you agree that making the league aware of exactly why you're making the trade therefore make the trade not collusion?

"I'm trading away Carson Palmer for Colin Kaepernick because my season is over and I'd rather my brother win than you."

Heck, even throw in "Plus he gave me $10 for him."

No secrecy if this is sent out before the trade offer, therefore, no collusion???
Perhaps, but it simply becomes an illegal trade.
Now you're getting it.

Here's what you want the fantasy rulebook to say:

"No pooling rosters, that is an illegal form of collusion."

"No exchange of money or other considerations for trades/players, that is an illegal form of collusion."

"No trading back of same players as a condition of the initial trade, that is an illegal form of collusion."

Because, now that you're recognizing that there are illegal forms of collusion, it becomes obvious that there must be legal forms of collusion. Also known as "trades".
NO. All forms of collusion are illegal by definition. But there are other forms of illegality that aren't collusion. Again, just throwing up your definition and putting them in quotes does not create any authority.

Look- here's the ad absurdium version. I will prove to you that by your definition of collusion, not trading is a form of collusion.

I negotiate with another team on a trade, at the end of the day we mutually decide to walk away from the deal. A deal would have made both teams better. Instead of making both teams better, both teams are now worse than they would have been. That makes the other 10 teams in the league relatively better. Hence, I have conspired with another team and made other teams better, by NOT making a trade.

If your definition of something includes both performing an action and not performing the action, you need to rethink your logic.

Also Collusion does not need to be the only rule around over turning a trade.
Go on
Really?

In the spirit of competition

Commissioner discretion

Nothing from outside the league can be included in a trade

Limit on difference in players regarding any of the following: ADP from specified website, Draft Position, Average Salary Value from specified website, Rest of Year Rankings from specified website

Draft picks unable to be traded

No prop bet trading (if X player scores 10 TDs you get Y player/pick in return next season)

Rebuilding clause (where you are required to state to the whole league that Adrian Peterson is on the block for prospects/draft picks compared to trading him for current value comparables)

Deadline of when trades can occur

FA $ trading is allowed or not

There is a million of these depending on how indepth you want to get to limit or allow trading but these would all be outside of the collusion clause.

Limit on difference in players regarding any of the following: ADP from specified website, Draft Position, Average Salary Value from specified website, Rest of Year Rankings from specified website
This is the worst idea I've ever heard. Do people willingly participate in leagues that do that?

Users who are viewing this thread