What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tony Romo (1 Viewer)

MSULions

Footballguy
I picked up Romo right after he replaced bledsoe, more to hurt the Bledsoe owner than anything (as if he hadn't suffered enough ;) ) - but since my top two draft picks: Delhomme and Plummer, have been less than spectacular, I've been playing Kitna most weeks. I've benched him for Romo now and am not looking back. Kitna may get the call against Miami, but otherwise I'm thinking I may just ride this train out. He's put up almost as many points as Delhomme, for example, in half the games.

So this is not a WDIS, because I've made my choice, but i'm curious as to other thoughts on Romo going forward. It just seems to me like he and TO are locked on to each other and they could put up some monster games in the next few weeks. This week at Indy has all the makings of a 42-35 kind of game.

So who's playing Romo and who is hitting the bench for him?

I have TO and Romo. :thumbup:

Both will start for me until FF playoffs, then its strictly matchups on the QB position (I have some depth at the position)

Romo has performed very well, but lets not lose sight of the fact that he's got very few games under his belt and the wheels could fall off at any time, unlerss he really is a stud in disguise.

Start him while he's hot though, definitely over Plummer.

I'm actually wondered whether to start him over McNabb this week . . . but I started McNabb. :)

For me it's Romo or Jake D........Romo has been the better of the two while a starter.......I worry about the wheels coming off the week I play him and Jake D having a huge week. :unsure:

Romo, is slowly approaching a must start every week status. This week will be the real test. It's Romo's first true test. Indy's Pass D is pretty stout. I'd say if he goes for another 300+ and 2 TD's, he's the real deal and is a must start every week forward. :popcorn:

This is the big week for Romo.

His first 3 games were against terrible pass defenses. Wash is last, Ariz 29th and Carolina is mid pack (although, they were at the bottom when Dallas played them.) Dungy will put together a plan that takes away some things from Romo, we'll see how he handles it. I think a fast Colts D will put lots of pressure on him and he will make bad mistakes. Romo has gotten lucky, he should have at least 5 Ints since starting. Its his first home game, fooling around with Jessica Simpson (speaking of lucky), new radio show, Best Dam show, lots of stuff going on for Mr. Romo.

If he handles it all and plays well then you got something, but if Indy destroys him the word will be out and its back to Kitna for you.

There are few options right now that I would consider starting over Romo -

Peyton Manning

Carson Palmer

Donovan McNabb

Drew Brees

Tom Brady

Bulger was on that list, but I am leery about Bulger due to the loss of Pace.

Hasselbeck would be on this list if healthy.

If you don't have one of the guys listed above, then Romo would be a must start every week and if I had Brady, Hasselebeck or Bulger I would play the matchup.

I've got to start him.

Other options are the KC QB or Jake Plummer.

He's been a nice late season surprise for me. :banned:

Yitbos69 said:
For me it's Romo or Jake D........Romo has been the better of the two while a starter.......I worry about the wheels coming off the week I play him and Jake D having a huge week. :unsure:
that's precisely the conundrum. I kept thinking his 2nd start would be that week...then his 3rd...and now i'm kicking mysef for benching him those weeks. The big worry is I finally put him in and he puts up a klunker. ain't this game fun!! :loco:

Romo is the real deal. He was getting talked up before the season, if anyone remembers, we thought bledsoe may not even open the season. When you hear something about a rookie starting over Drew Bledsoe, you know the guy is legit.

Romo is the real deal. He was getting talked up before the season, if anyone remembers, we thought bledsoe may not even open the season. When you hear something about a rookie starting over Drew Bledsoe, you know the guy is legit.
He aint a rookie, hes been on the JV for 3 yrs. Sitting behind studs like Quincy, Hutchinson, Vinnie, and Henson.He was playing in the preason to see if they wanted to resign him or let him go, maybe before the season started. He may work out, but its only been 3 games. Lets see what happens this week.

Yitbos69 said:
I have both and Delhomme is currently in my starting lineup for week 11...

I want to believe he's an every week starter, but I will start McNair over him this week, to see how Romo fares against a tougher pass defense.

I've got the Kitna and Romo question this week also. I keep playing match-ups and keep getting burned. Last week Kitna vs. SF got the nod with Romo ending up the better play. I think Dallas overall a the better O and D than Detroit, so I like Romo.

For this week, I can see Tuna running all day to keep Manning off the field. The only way Romo has a good day is if Indy turns this into a shootout. After almost losing to Buffalo in a grinder I hope Manning and co. puts it up early and often.

I'm probably starting Romo, which means that Kitna will light it up.

redman said:
I'm actually wondered whether to start him over McNabb this week . . . but I started McNabb. :)
I am starting him over Vick, so Vick will probably have a monster game.

this is nothing against romo, but i acutally think he will take a dip[ this week. not the wheels coming off, but i think parcells is going to try and control the clock, run-run-run b/c the only way to slow the colts is having their offense off the field.

Iron Mike Tomczak said:
Romo is a 4th year player not a Rookie

redman said:
i'm in the same boat, started romo last week, but will have to go with mcnabb this week. i think romo is solid, will get betetr with the return of glenn and as soon as tuna gets his mind off TO and realizes that barber is the better RB things will just get better. from here on out it's a match-up thing so mcnabb is not a weekly "lock" anymore. romo is the real deal

redman said:
i'm in the same boat, started romo last week, but will have to go with mcnabb this week. i think romo is solid, will get betetr with the return of glenn and as soon as tuna gets his mind off TO and realizes that barber is the better RB things will just get better. from here on out it's a match-up thing so mcnabb is not a weekly "lock" anymore. romo is the real deal
You didn't start McNabb at home after a bye against the Redskins defense? :o

I also have Kitna and Romo. Been playing Kitna because he is more experienced and I was concerned about Romo throwing interceptions.

But Romo has been protecting the ball. And Dallas has better weapons than Detroit does. So I will be playing Romo over Kitna this week and moving forward unless Romo starts turning the ball over a lot.

Kitna and Romo have been great value Qbs for this season.

Funny, I drafted Byron and Rivers and Ive been riding Rivers the past few weeks. I made a trade this week to get Romo, and I'm starting Romo over Rivers this week against Denver.

So if Romo puts up a big game again this week, I don't who my regular starter would be.

Right now, Rivers and Romo seem like equals, both with great potential on the right week.

MSULions, ericttspikes, and Biabreakable: I'm leaning towards Kitna because I think the Detroit game plan will be more airborne than the Dallas gameplan.

Romo vs. Indy D (2nd vs. Pass)

or

Kitna vs. Arizona D (29th vs. Pass)

If you look at the offensive numbers, they're similar over the last 3 games, but Romo gets the nod:

Romo,Tony 68/101, 862 yards, 5 TD, 1 INT

Kitna,Jon 61/98, 792 yards, 5 TD, 4 INT

I like to think that you pick a starter and go with him regardless of opponent, unless there are outstanding circumstances. If we breakdown the defensive numbers of the opponents this week, I believe their are outstanding circumstances at play.

Indy's opponents elect to run against them - they have THE WORST run D in the league. Therefore opponents don't throw against them - Indy's opponents average roughly 26 attempts per game, the lowest average in the NFL. This has lead them to have the 2nd best pass D, allowing only an average 158 pass yards per game. Will Dallas run vs. Indy like everybody else, or can we assume they'll take it to the air as they have in the last three games?

Arizona's opponents elect to pass all over them - they give up nearly 230 yards in the air per game, 29th in the league. That's only over 32 attempts per game, 12th lowest in the NFL, which makes their average yards allowed per pass attempt over 7 - that's 31st in the league!!! It's a whole yard more allowed per pass attempt than QBs gain vs. Indy per attempt, who rank 7th per pass attempt.

QBs vs. Indy the last three weeks:

Week 8 vs. Jake Plummer - 13/21, 174 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT

Week 9 vs. Tom Brady - 20/35, 201 yards, 0 TD, 4 INT

Week 10 vs. JP Losman - 8/12, 83 yards, 0TD, 0 INT

QBs vs. Arizona the last three weeks:

Week 7 vs. Andrew Walter - 17/30, 263 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Week 8 vs. Brett Favre - 17/25, 180 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT

Week 10 vs. Tony Romo - 20/29, 308 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT

The only flaw in the defensive numbers going completely in favor of starting Kitna is that Arizona's run D sucks as well, and teams have racked up 10 rushing TDs on them, vs. only 9 through the air. Indy has given up 10 rushing TDs, and 10 passing TDs.

I've talked myself into starting Kitna. What will you do this week?

KD

-jb- said:
debating between him and vick.
I'm starting Romo over Vick. Vick does somewhat defy matchups, but on the road at Baltimore is tough, and home vs. Indy is good for Romo. Plus, Romo's performance trend is upward, while Vick has been a bit down for a couple of weeks. First time I've benched Vick all season except in his bye week.

Romo has been much less volatile than my other QB, w/ above average numbers. He'll start for me until the wheels fall off. I'd start him over most everyone except Peyton, McNabb, and Brees.

MSULions, ericttspikes, and Biabreakable: I'm leaning towards Kitna because I think the Detroit game plan will be more airborne than the Dallas gameplan.

See, I think this is a misleading stat. I don't think that ranking is so much a product of Indy's great pass D as it is their atrocious run d. I.e. Teams haven't had to pass much because they can run all day. Thus, I think Romo will have plenty of opportunity to hit a home run or two. That said, It sounds like Sanders is out, which should open up the middle just that much more....and that's what has me leaning Romo.

The Cowboys offense is the classic definition of a balanced attack. The last three weeks, JJ and MBIII have combined for 33, 27, and 29 rush attempts. Romo has had 36, 36, and 29 pass attempts. Moreover, in that same time span, Romo has the 7th most pass attempts in the league inside the 20.

On 16 attempts, he has 10 completions, 5 first downs, 3 TDs and no INTs. His statistical company in the red zone the last three weeks are Favre (9th), Palmer (8), McNair (6), and Grossman (5) - all have had either 15 or 16 red zone pass attempts.

He's been great on 3rd/4th - 6th most FPs, completed 21 of his 29 attempts for 16 first downs, 1 TD and the highest YPA in the league over the last three weeks on 3rd/4th.

My point with all this data is that even if the Cowboys run the ball well against Indie, Romo is likely to get a decent number of opportunities to find receivers for big plays and/or take a few passing attempts at the end zone.

I would not call the Indie game a good matchup for him, but I think he could still have a solid fantasy day. And, whenever Indie is involved, there is always the possibility of a high scoring game. I can't imagine Owens not being used, but I also can't imagine Parcells running less than 27 times since he will need to control the clock against Manning.

Our official projection is for around 250, 1-2 TDs and 1 INT - that sounds about right to me, as well. If you believe your other QB will top that, by all means play him. Otherwise, Romo's likely to be a good fantasy play.

or

If you look at the offensive numbers, they're similar over the last 3 games, but Romo gets the nod:

I like to think that you pick a starter and go with him regardless of opponent, unless there are outstanding circumstances. If we breakdown the defensive numbers of the opponents this week, I believe their are outstanding circumstances at play.

Indy's opponents elect to run against them - they have THE WORST run D in the league. Therefore opponents don't throw against them - Indy's opponents average roughly 26 attempts per game, the lowest average in the NFL. This has lead them to have the 2nd best pass D, allowing only an average 158 pass yards per game. Will Dallas run vs. Indy like everybody else, or can we assume they'll take it to the air as they have in the last three games?

Arizona's opponents elect to pass all over them - they give up nearly 230 yards in the air per game, 29th in the league. That's only over 32 attempts per game, 12th lowest in the NFL, which makes their average yards allowed per pass attempt over 7 - that's 31st in the league!!! It's a whole yard more allowed per pass attempt than QBs gain vs. Indy per attempt, who rank 7th per pass attempt.

The only flaw in the defensive numbers going completely in favor of starting Kitna is that Arizona's run D sucks as well, and teams have racked up 10 rushing TDs on them, vs. only 9 through the air. Indy has given up 10 rushing TDs, and 10 passing TDs.

KD
You bring up some great points in favor of Kitna and I have been seeing the same things as well.Indianapolis is soft against the run and it actualy works in thier favor because thier opponents are moving methodicly down the field and playing under control instead of giving up big plays. This is what the cover 2 defense is supposed to do and it is a defense that is geared more towards stopping the passing game and can be suceptable to smash mouth running offenses.

Bill Parcells has some history with using the running game from his days back with the Giants. He is a versitile coach though and this Dallas team is built more for the passing game than it is a running offense. Thier offensive line is still below average and I do not know if it can sustain drives by running the ball. Even against the Colts small but fast defenders. I do think at some point during the game and likely early Dallas will try to run the ball 6 or more times in a row and test how effective they can be while also setting up play action. The 2TE offense that Dallas uses as thier primary formation is actualy better suited for the passing game by flooding the short zone areas on the perimiter.

They will run the ball also to get the safeties to cheat up in the box. The safeties have deep zone responsibilities that is susceptable to play action deep passes over the middle. Which both TO and Witten excell at.

The Colts offense has played rather conservativly based on thier opponent and has seemed satisfied with winning close games instead of opening up thier passing game and blowing thier opponents out. I think they have also done this to focus on establishing thier running game without Edge and getting thier rookie experience while also using TOP to keep thier defense rested.

Dallas however has one of the best defenses in the league right now. They are 4th best against the run and 9th against the pass respectivly. I don't see the Colts being as willing to play conserativly against them on offense. And I expect them to play more 3 WR sets to spread out the defense and take them out of thier ushual 3-4 alignment. They will try to isolate Anthony Henry and Roy Williams in man coverage and exploit that matchup with thier WRs. Probobly for the most part Reggie Wayne.

I don't expect the Colts to play as conservativly on offense against Dallas and as they score this will force Dallas to go to the air and match them. I think this will be a high scoring game.

If Dallas had a more powerful offensive line I could see Dallas being more paitient and shortening the game by running the ball 40 times. But I don't think Dallas is built to do that and thier strength is more in thier recievers. They are going to need them to keep up with the Colts.

My main concern about Romo is his inexperience and therefore the possibility that he will make more mistakes than a veteran Qb like Kitna. However Romo has been playing very efficient and mistake free football over the past 2 games. So I no longer have that concern about him and he deserves to start for me.

Tony Romo's 4 full games starting:

vs Giants 25 attempts 14 completions 227 yards 2 TD 3 interceptions

at Panthers 36 attempts 24 completions 270 yards 1 TD 1 interceptions

at Redskins 36 attempts 24 completions 284 yards 2 TD 0 interceptions

at Cardinals 29 attempts 20 completions 308 yards 2 TD 0 interceptions

Romos 1st game against the Giants was a rough one and he threw 3 intereptions. But he seems to be playing much more consistently now. Also note that his pass attempts went down against the Cardinals because they were in control of the game not allowing the Cardinals to score until late in the 4th quarter having a healthy lead throughout the game. I do not think that will be the case against the Colts this week and therefore I expect Romo to throw the ball at least 35 times possibly more.

Will Romo make mistakes because of the speed pass rushers that the Colts bring like he did against the Giants? Thats certainly possible. But Romo seems to be playing smarter football now than he did in his 1st full start this season.

Jon Kitna on the other hand has thrown at least one interception for 7 games in a row now. Kitna also had a very juicy matchup against the Falcons in week 8 but Kevin Jones ended up rushing in 2 TDs against them despite Atlanta being being a better run defense than the Cardinals are. I can see somthing like this possibly happening again against the Cardinals this week. I also expect the Lions to run the ball more often than normal because of how they lost TOP against the 9ers last week. They need to do a better job of keeping thier defense off the field especialy against the Cardinals great Wrs.

Jon Kitnas best game so far this year came against the Jets 3 weeks ago. Another poor defense. Yet he still threw 2 interceptions in that game.

Jon Kitna 2006:

vs Seahawks 21cmp 37att 229yards 0TD 0 interception

at Bears 23cmp 30att 230yards 0TD 1 interception

vs Packers 25cmp 40att 342yards 2TD 1interception

at Rams 29cmp 43att 280yards 2TD 2interception

at Vikings 23cmp 42att 225yards 1TD 3interception

vs Bills 24cmp 36att 278yards 1TD 1interception

at Jets 22cmp 36att 269yards 3TD 2interception

BYE

vs Falcons 20cmp 32att 321yards 1TD 1interception

vs 49ers 19cmp 30att 202yards 1 1interception

Bottom line is I think both Qbs are performing well for FF. Kitnas matchup does look better than Romo's this week. However Romo has been playing more efficient mistake free football than Kitna has and I think Romo has better weapons in the passing game available to him than Kitna does. I also think that Dallas will be more pressed to score a lot of points than the Lions will be. Although both games could be shootouts.

I am in complete agreement with your statement kerosenedan that "I like to think that you pick a starter and go with him regardless of opponent, unless there are outstanding circumstances. If we breakdown the defensive numbers of the opponents this week, I believe their are outstanding circumstances at play."

If there were ever a matchup situation that would cause me to start Kitna over Romo this weeks situation would be it for the reasons you have given. However going over this all again in depth has lead me to the simple conclushion that Romo is my starting Qb over Kitna from here on out because he is not turning the ball over as much as Kitna has been.

Romo sore right finger, per FBG players in the news.

Is he right handed? I can't believe how hard it is to find it out on the internet.

or

KD
The AZ/DET game could very well be a dog of a game like the SF/DET game was. These are two bad teams whose season is over. IND/DAL is a big game. This time of year I tend to lean to players playing in big games. Dallas could very well run, run, run; but this is a huge game for them that they need to win vs. a prolific O.

Let's just say I have enough trust in Romo over Kitna from here on out that I dropped Kitna for Romo in one small redraft league. I'm considering Hasselbeck my #1 there when he's healthy, but this week it's all about Romo. If he can lead the Cowboys to a win over the undefeated Colts, us Romo owners will be in good shape. I can't wait to watch this game.

Users who are viewing this thread