What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Torrent Talk (1 Viewer)

Is downloading a CD or DVD via torrent stealing?

• Absolutely stealing.

Votes: 40 45.5%
  • Sort of stealing but ok.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • On the fence.

Votes: 10 11.4%
  • Sort of stealing but not ok.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Absolutely not stealing.

Votes: 22 25.0%

• Total voters
Where are folks getting their torrents these days? I can't find KAT anymore since Google gave them the death sentence. TPB still solid? Did Demonoid rebuild?
What death sentence? Just that stupid red front page? Bfd
I was referring to this.
I just searched it. It was the very first hit. I assume if you don't put addons you will get the red screen of death when crossing from Google to it. That's the only thing I know them to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2016/07/11/nbc-universal-patents-method-detecting-piracy-real-time/

Seems like a very slippery slope to me. If applied, it seems like the controller of the technology is allowed to go into your home without your consent. Whether torrenting is "legal" or not, is not the debate with this new technology. The debate when dealing with the technology could be, "should a company be allowed to monitor what you download, or have access to your computer?" Seems to me that allowing a third party to access any personal computer is not a good slope to do down.

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2016/07/11/nbc-universal-patents-method-detecting-piracy-real-time/

Seems like a very slippery slope to me. If applied, it seems like the controller of the technology is allowed to go into your home without your consent. Whether torrenting is "legal" or not, is not the debate with this new technology. The debate when dealing with the technology could be, "should a company be allowed to monitor what you download, or have access to your computer?" Seems to me that allowing a third party to access any personal computer is not a good slope to do down.
A friend showed this on FB yesterday, I wondered are they trying to test at your ip, or are they looking everywhere? Either way, would using a VPN bypass their collection? Yeah, they are collecting data, they just couldn't assign it to a person.

I just gave the patent description a high-level skimming --  looks like they would need full buy-in and participation from the major ISPs for this to be feasible.   This would help them in Identifying a burst of activity on a torrent and then going for the low-hanging fruit (the non VPN'd or otherwise unobfuscated swarm members).   It still doesn't give them any more power to stop the activity, just additional ammo to go after the people who are doing it.   VPN members, assuming you're on a legit one that cares about your privacy, would be mostly immune from this.   They'll see user X from country Y is doing something they don't like, but if the VPN is worth their salt they shouldn't be able to reconcile that with you.  

with the caveats of the theory that our government has intentionally broken SSH and has other exploits that mean nothing anywhere on the web is truly anonymous.  

Which I generally believe, but also believe that the RI/MPAA does not have access to use.   Yet.   

Why not just stream the movies/shows instead of download? 
I find the download quality almost impeccable where as streams can be subject to various quality issues due to buffering and other internet issues outside of your control.

Once you have the 1080p download in your hands, everything is then under your control. 

A friend showed this on FB yesterday, I wondered are they trying to test at your ip, or are they looking everywhere? Either way, would using a VPN bypass their collection? Yeah, they are collecting data, they just couldn't assign it to a person.
From what little they describe, it looks like a VPN, would easily circumvent this.  This line is important from what I can tell:

When there are several users engaged in sharing the verified file, it’ll raise an alarm so appropriate action, like alerting the ISP or filing a lawsuit, can be taken.

They can't alert your ISP if you are using a VPN since they don't have your IP address tied to the file.

Since it was a 2009 filing they'll need to evolve this quite a bit if they expect it to have an effect. Seven years is a lifetime. 

The most popular one that people in the FFA use is Private Internet Access.  It is extraordinarily cheap (I pay like $3 a month) and it works very well.  I almost never take the VPN down and for the one price you can run it on numerous machines.   It is virtually plug and play.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

I like this one but I worry that it's becoming "the big one".   It's kind of a catch 22 -- you want the one that treats it's customers best but as they do, they get bigger.  and as they get bigger, they will be under increased scrutiny.    

But so far PIA has done right by their customers even in the face of the FBI.    

Meh, plenty of others for the occasional rare need.  I'm just glad they're still stuck in the 20th Century focused on torrenting.  

After messing around with the crack for an hour for a program I downloaded this weekend I realized it wasn't worth my time for a measly $60.  

Meh, plenty of others for the occasional rare need.  I'm just glad they're still stuck in the 20th Century focused on torrenting.  

After messing around with the crack for an hour for a program I downloaded this weekend I realized it wasn't worth my time for a measly $60.  
Exactly

The safest method still seems to be to rent the movie on Netflix or Amazon and then use video capture software to record it.  No viruses that way.

As of Tuesday February 7, 2017 the agreement the MPAA and RIAA had with internet service providers to send out threatening letters and after 6 attempts threaten to throttle your internet speed and/or threaten to discontinue your service has ended.  You shouldn't be getting any more letters for leeching/seeding a torrent, however, it remains to be seen if the MPAA and RIAA revert back to their old methods of trying to prosecute individuals or just continue to focus on the websites.  Possibly another agreement with internet service providers.

If you've been using a VPN you've probably avoided the silly letters in the past.

Most ISP never sent the letters anyways and no action was ever taken.  I almost never torrent anything except BBC content that I can't get access to here for any amount of money, not because I can't but because I simply don't need to.  The cost of streaming the limited shows and content I do watch is very inexpensive.  I wait till about half the season, start an HBOGO package with a month remaining of a show I watch, binge watch it, then end it when the month is over. 

yts dot ag is pretty awesome for movies. All Yify torrents so the quality is great... no, not BR quality but for the files only being 2gbs, its pretty good.

To the larger topic at hand, I always liked this post from Benn Jordan.  It was a notepad document attached to the album download when he released Soundtrack To A Vacant Life:

The Flashbulb wrote:

Hello listener…downloader…pirate…pseudo-criminal…

If you can read this, then you’ve more than likely downloaded this album from a peer to peer network or torrent.

You probably expect the rest of this message to tell you that you’re hurting musicians and breaking just about every copyright law in the book. Well, it won’t tell you that.

What I would like to tell you is that my record label understands that a large portion of people pirate music because it is easier than buying it. CDs scratch easily, most pay-per-download sites have poor quality and ****ty DRM protection, and vinyl is near impossible to find or ship without hassle.
In many cases I wonder why people buy CDs at all anymore. A few like the tangible artwork, some haven’t adapted to MP3s yet, but most do it because they have a profound love for music and want to support the artists making it. Kind of restores your faith in humanity for a moment eh?

So, now what?
Like the album? About to go “support the artist” on iTunes?
Well, don’t.
Alphabasic is currently in a legal battle against Apple because NONE of our material (Sublight Records included) receives a dime of royalty from the vast amount of sales iTunes has generated using our material.

Want to buy a CD just to show your support?
If you don’t particularly like CDs, don’t bother.
Retailers like Best Buy and Amazon spike the price so high that their cut is often 8 times higher than the artist’s. Besides, most CDs are made out of unrecyclable plastic and leave a nasty footprint in your environment.

If you do particularly like CDs, buy them from the label (in our case, alphabasic.com). After manufacturing costs are recuperated, our artists usually receive over 90% of the actual money coming out of your wallet.
In addition, all of our physical products are made out of 100% recycled material.

Want to show your support?
Go here and browse our library of lossless, DRM-free downloads.
Already have that?
Then feel free to donate whatever you want to your favorite artist. 100% will go directly to them.
Hell, you can even donate a penny just to thank the artist.

If you really like ‘The Flashbulb - Soundtrack To A Vacant Life’ and want to show your support without it going to greedy retailers, distributors, and coked-up label reps, then click the button below.
[link to http://www.alphabasic.com/index2.htm ]
If you send us your mailing address, Alphabasic may occasionally send you various goodies (overstocks, stickers, even rare CDs) in appreciation and encouragement for your support.
Thanks for reading.
Who knows if my little business plan here will work to fund new releases, but even failure is better than the crappy label/distributor/retailer system musicians have suffered from for over 50 years.
We hope you enjoy the music as much as we do releasing it.
Finally, if you plan on sharing this release, please include this file. The only reason it is here is to show the listener where he can support his favorite artists!

Benn Jordan
CEO - Alphabasic Records

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread