What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tough day for the zebras (1 Viewer)

delayed (yes, i get part of the delay was a tv timeout) penalty for lining up over center in Packers/Dolphins game was horrible.

I think the Jets Broncos game may have been the worst I've ever seen. Before the Broncs fans get on my behind (which they will anyway), the Jets won, it isn't a sour grapes post. I thought they were beyond bad. A few bad calls is one thing, but to make about 12 bad calls in one game.... they were putrid, and I hope they all get fired. Watching that game, for the first time in my life I wondered if Vegas had gotten to the refs.

The pass interference call against the Chiefs was the worst call of the week.
yep. A couple ridiculous calls went against the Jets as well, there was a phantom PI on Cromartie and a phantom personal foul on Leonhard. Those got most of my attention but I was also shocked by that call on Flowers

I think the Jets Broncos game may have been the worst I've ever seen. Before the Broncs fans get on my behind (which they will anyway), the Jets won, it isn't a sour grapes post. I thought they were beyond bad. A few bad calls is one thing, but to make about 12 bad calls in one game.... they were putrid, and I hope they all get fired. Watching that game, for the first time in my life I wondered if Vegas had gotten to the refs.
The Jets Broncos was the game I mostly watched during the late games, and that's the game that prompted me to start this thread. But, there were obviously others.

The Jets Broncos was the game I mostly watched during the late games, and that's the game that prompted me to start this thread. But, there were obviously others.
They were awful all game on both sides.

If they reverse this call in the Sunday night game (interception, then fumble), then WTF happened with Calvin Johnson back in the beginning of the season???

I didn't see this game but I have had this thought before. It isn't crazy either. Refs are not that highly paid. And, they can easily influence outcome of games and most of the time no one would ever question them. To my knowledge, no referee has ever been accused of collusion--that's not proof it doesn't happen either--that's proof that they can do it and feel confident that they won't be called on it.

That call against the Packers is on Mike McCarthy alone. It was illegal. If there was a question, he should have asked the ref before the play. 100% on McCarthy. Much like the Calvin Johnson play earlier in the season, it is a bad rule, but it was correctly enforced. The only difference is that is precisely how the coaches told him to do it.

The worst call in the Dolphin/Packer game was not the player over the centre on the punt call. It was the 4 and 1 play where Ronnie Brown clearly made the first down and the refs still blew the call after it was challenged.

The worst call in the Dolphin/Packer game was not the player over the centre on the punt call. It was the 4 and 1 play where Ronnie Brown clearly made the first down and the refs still blew the call after it was challenged.
This.The call on the punt was pretty much textbook.The 4th and 1 play on the other hand was terrible, especially after the replay.

Last edited by a moderator:
That call against the Packers is on Mike McCarthy alone. It was illegal. If there was a question, he should have asked the ref before the play. 100% on McCarthy. Much like the Calvin Johnson play earlier in the season, it is a bad rule, but it was correctly enforced. The only difference is that is precisely how the coaches told him to do it.
http://media.jsonline.com/images/28007144_punt.jpgHe is not within a yard of the LOS. Seems like a bad call.

This.The call on the punt was pretty much textbook. Stupid rule, but the rule is there and I don't see how anyone could say it was a bad call given the rule. It was as blatant as it gets.The 4th and 1 play on the other hand was terrible, especially after the replay.
4th and 1 was bad...but it was not as blatant as it gets.Do you believe he was within a yard of the LOS?

http://media.jsonline.com/images/28007144_punt.jpgHe is not within a yard of the LOS. Seems like a bad call.
Meh, from that pic it looks like the ball is dead on the 44 yard line, and the GB player's head is between the 43 and 44 yard line. I don't know what part of the body counts as "lined up 1 yard off", but his head is not more than 1 yard from the ball.Either way, it was nowhere near as blatant as the bad 4th and 1 call, and that one even had replay.

ETA: It looks like his right foot is on or inside the 43 yard line too.

I 100% agree with you. It totally changed the game.
Not that you're biased or anything ;)
I hate the Chiefs, and I can say with 100% confidence that they got royally screwed on that call. My beef is how inconsistent the refs are with the helmet to helmet calls. Some are very iffy, yet get flagged. Meanwhile, that thug James Harrison laid out two Browns with helmet to helmet hits today and I don't think either was flagged. And Sam Bradford was hit so hard by a helmet, it knocked his freaking helmet off, yet no call.

i didnt get to see the other games, but the Intentional grounding call against the niners was horrific...

as was the non saftey call...

at least it didnt effect the outcome of the game... i would be so pissed if one of those calls resulted ina loss... i feel for you chiefs fans (from what i read).

BAM

ETA: do the refs get fined for making incorrect calls??? somone or something has to keep these folks accountable.

Not that you're biased or anything :thumbup:
I hate the Chiefs, and I can say with 100% confidence that they got royally screwed on that call. My beef is how inconsistent the refs are with the helmet to helmet calls. Some are very iffy, yet get flagged. Meanwhile, that thug James Harrison laid out two Browns with helmet to helmet hits today and I don't think either was flagged. And Sam Bradford was hit so hard by a helmet, it knocked his freaking helmet off, yet no call.
That one looked unavoidable as both were diving or going down. A lot different scenario than the hits being talked about. It's hard to avoid someone's head when that someone is also on his way down.

i didnt get to see the other games, but the Intentional grounding call against the niners was horrific...as was the non saftey call...at least it didnt effect the outcome of the game... i would be so pissed if one of those calls resulted ina loss... i feel for you chiefs fans (from what i read).BAMETA: do the refs get fined for making incorrect calls??? somone or something has to keep these folks accountable.
They get graded and that grading affects their post-season assignments. The only time I can recall a ref fine being made, at least publicly, was when a ref gave Baltimore an extra TO that gave them the time to tie a game and win it in OT. Bal called their last TO but there was a flag on the play. Bal got their TO back, the flagged was waved off and the ref didn't start the clock back up essentially giving them an extra TO. He was fined half a game check, $2500. Haven't heard of any ref fines ever before or since though I'm sure there must be.

I'm not a Packers fan, but I'm a bit surprised by the number of headshots to Rodgers that fail to get flagged. He's getting the opposite of star treatment.

When I was younger I got a lot more up in arms about bad calls. Over time though I came to accept just how many bad and missed calls there are and how many of them totally change a game. And I started focusing instead on the things my team could actually control. The Flowers-AJ call is a great example. Yes, absolutely horrible call and it would grate on me if I was a KC fan. And it's also true that Flowers got away with pass interference on AJ in the early 2nd quarter when Flowers grabbed AJ's shoulder pad to keep him from getting separation... which resulted in the Texans having to punt when it should have been 1st and 10 from around the Chiefs 40. I wouldn't get up in arms about either play no matter which team I was a fan of. Groan, swear a bit, and move on and worry about what the team can actually control. As a Texans fan I'm up in arms about Schaub being slow in his decision making early in the game and seeming to lock into receivers, and about how they weren't able to get any pressure on the QB. If I were a Chiefs fan, I'd be more up in arms on why my team, leading by 10 late in the 3rd and early 4th, is snapping the ball with 10 and 15 seconds on the play clock instead of running a lot more time off, and calling passes on 3rd down and 2 late in the game when they had been running at will all day. The Texans last drive would have never had time to reach scoring range if the Chiefs had shown some proper clock management. Those are the kind of things the team can and should be getting right.So anyway, don't get too down. The Chiefs have come a long way from where they were the last few seasons. You guys have some real talent to build around and I think a bright future.

Looking at the picture I'd say he is either exactly 1 yard, or 1 yard and an inch. Either way, why take the chance?

Line up slightly left or right of the center and there is no chance of getting called for it.

Looking at the picture I'd say he is either exactly 1 yard, or 1 yard and an inch. Either way, why take the chance?

Line up slightly left or right of the center and there is no chance of getting called for it.
Exactly. The Packers need to fire their ST coach. He's done nothing but cost them all year. I honestly don't know how he keeps his job. I'd rather have an unknown coaching them.

Youre right...why take any chances.No need to ever play bump and run coverage...can't chance those flags.

Don't block blitzing LBs...can't chance a holding.

No need to tackle from behind...can't risk a horse collar.

If you do something within the rules...its not taking a chance. Its up to the zebras to get it right.

Its close...which is why I said it seems like a bad call. That they were not even sure when it happened and waited til during the TV timeout to throw the flag does not make it any better.

And as I said in the other thread...its not what cost GB the game...just seems like a bad call which is what this thread is about.

Exactly. The Packers need to fire their ST coach. He's done nothing but cost them all year. I honestly don't know how he keeps his job. I'd rather have an unknown coaching them.
While Slocum does need to lose his job...it should not be over that one.

Tom Coughlin throws a challenge flag for some ridiculous reason. Refs talk to him and allow him to pick it up. He knows the rules he should lose his timeout and his ability to challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread