What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trent Richardson 2014 (1 Viewer)

Blackjacks

Footballguy
I just made a pretty big trade to acquire Trent Richardson in a keeper league and I know a lot of people are down on him due to his horrible performance last year. However, I see a lot of upside with him.

1) He plays in a high scoring offense and will never have a stacked box against him

2) He is one of the only true 3 down backs in the league. He will not come off the field on third downs and only briefly for a rest

3) He should get all the td love (I see a minimum of 10 in that offense and lack of competition)

4) Indy didn't draft a rb in the draft or pick up anyone in FA which shows support in him.

5) He is still young and still talented.

I basically traded M Lynch and C Michael (and dumped some players) for Trent and picks. In our league I saved a lot of money (salary cap league) but at the end of the day I really like Trent's outlook for this year and going forward.

I know some he is slow but I believe he ran 4.5ish at 225 lbs which is pretty good.

thoughts on him for the upcoming year........

(and I did look for T Rich posts and didn't really find any even though I am sure there are some out there.

well, there was a good thread last year.

1 - what happened to bradshaw?

2 - how many td did richardson have last year?

mmmmm....what were his joke nicknames...?

well, there was a good thread last year.

1 - what happened to bradshaw?

2 - how many td did richardson have last year?

mmmmm....what were his joke nicknames...?
Bradshaw isn't much IMO

I think he wasn't use to the offense and the offseason will provide more comfort

He did have some funny nicknames last year

New year though, lot of upside I think

Whole lotta wrong in the OP.

1.) The Colts were a middle of the pack offense, 14th in points.

2.) Trent Richardson isn't a three down workhorse RB. Sure, he can play on passing downs, but he wasn't good enough to command the full load last year, and I doubt that changes moving forward.

3.) Colts' RBs ran for 11 total TDs last year, of which Richardson had 3. 10 minimum? Uhhh... no.

4.) Indy re-signed Ahmad Bradshaw and has Vick Ballard coming back from injury. There's plenty of competition. If Richardson plays the way he did last year, my grandmother would be serious competition.

5.) He's young, I'll give you that. Talented? I'd love to see some evidence of that. Dude's a scrub in all likelihood.

3) He should get all the td love (I see a minimum of 10 in that offense and lack of competition)
Bradshaw had 2 TD's on 41 carries.

Richardson had 3 TD's on 157 carries.

Ahmad Bradshaw will haunt him again.

I suspect his price will come down at the start of the season if Bradshaw shows he has a pulse and unbroken bones.

Yeah, I'd bet on Bradshaw leading the Colts' RBs in snaps, touches, and FF points for as long as he can stay decently healthy. Then some form of RBBC with Ballard, Richardson, and who knows who else.

I specifically remember doing some research a few years back (perhaps many years back) about sophomore slumps and NFL RBs, with special attention paid to whether the third year showed a bounceback to rookie-level performance. Cannot find it for the life of me, but perhaps others have something similar.

Rotoworld's Adam Levitan looked at something focusing on second year backs:

1) Between 2003 and 2012, 33 rookie running backs have rushed for 600 or more yards. 22 of them have suffered a decline in yardage as sophomores.

2) Between 2003 and 2012, 12 rookie running backs have rushed for 1000 or more yards. Nine of them have suffered a decline in yardage as sophomores. The only three that didn’t were Domanick Williams, Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson.

3) Between 2003 and 2012, 18 rookie running backs (with 600+ yards) have rushed for seven or more touchdowns. 13 of them have suffered a decline in touchdowns as sophomores. Jonathan Stewart stayed stagnant. Chris Johnson, Marshawn Lynch, Joseph Addai and Domanick Williams scored more as sophomores.

4) Between 2003 and 2012, four rookie running backs (with 600+ yards) averaged less than 4.0 yards per carry: Matt Forte, Knowshon Moreno, Vick Ballard and Trent Richardson. All four of those suffered a decline in both yardage and touchdowns as sophomores.

5) Between 2003 and 2012, eight rookie running backs (with 600+ yards) averaged 5.0 yards per carry or more: Steven Jackson, Jerious Norwood, Maurice Jones-Drew, Selvin Young, Adrian Peterson, Chris Ivory, DeMarco Murray and LeGarrette Blount. Six of them suffered a decline in yardage as sophomores. Five of them suffered a decline in touchdowns as sophomores.
For whatever reason, it certainly appears the sophomore slump is for real -- whether you have modest rushing totals or substantial; whether you rush for a handful of TDs or double-digit; whether you have a low YPC or high. How much moreso is the impact of that trend when you're traded in week 3 to a completely different offensive system?

I wouldn't consider myself a Trent apologist... but IMO he showed a lot of good things on a terrible Cleveland offense in his rookie year. I would expect the hype train to start rolling pretty quickly once camp comes around and the best shape of his life pieces come out. We've already heard that Trent can't believe the holes he missed last year and how slow he looked on film -- something he attributed to thinking on the field instead of just playing. He probably spent the offseason focusing on regaining that quickness and explosion that made him a first round RB in the first place...

Ballard will be returning from ACL surgery, and Bradshaw is a ticking timebomb. The Colts need Trent... and by not investing ANYTHING in the position, you have to believe they're counting on him.

For whatever reason, it certainly appears the sophomore slump is for real -- whether you have modest rushing totals or substantial; whether you rush for a handful of TDs or double-digit; whether you have a low YPC or high. How much moreso is the impact of that trend when you're traded in week 3 to a completely different offensive system?
Is it "you'll have one of the worst seasons of any RB in recent memory"? Because that's what it would have to be to explain Richardson's 2013.

Is it "you'll have one of the worst seasons of any RB in recent memory"? Because that's what it would have to be to explain Richardson's 2013.
:goodposting:

Ballard will be returning from ACL surgery, and Bradshaw is a ticking timebomb. The Colts need Trent... and by not investing ANYTHING in the position, you have to believe they're counting on him.
They invested their 1st in him and didn't have the picks to spend another one on RB.

For dynasty purposes all this Sophomore slump stuff is awesome, but most play more then two years so they have that going for them.

If players of talent only played two years, this sophomore slump stuff would matter, most dont so it doesnt.

That being said, anyone could see Trent was not good last year and it was more then a sophomore slump it was the case of the sucks.

I do think between a sophomore slump and getting traded it screwed up Trents production.
And to say he isn't skilled a lot of people (and a lot on this board) where saying AFTER HIS ROOKIE YEAR, he was the most talented rb that came out of college since ADP.

One bad year in a new system and Bradshaw is going to beat him out, sorry, don't see it.

People see what they want to see. His FF stats masked the fact that he pretty much sucked as a rookie, too. The Browns invested hugely in him and fed him a ton of volume, but all he did was compile. Dude's sporting a 3.3 career YPC. He makes Leroy Hoard look like Jamaal Charles.

I do think between a sophomore slump and getting traded it screwed up Trents production.

And to say he isn't skilled a lot of people (and a lot on this board) where saying AFTER HIS ROOKIE YEAR, he was the most talented rb that came out of college since ADP.

One bad year in a new system and Bradshaw is going to beat him out, sorry, don't see it.
because bradshaw's terrible?

Idk its more one of those show me things then anything else..

and Be prepare to have a 3 point game and 18 point game or whatever.

hes as likely to be on your bench when he goes off for 50 yards and 3 goal line scores

as he is in your line up when he has 10 carries for 14 yards

A lot of people (including myself) were making excuses for him (ribs), talking about 10 rushing TD's and 51 receptions, and showing the good plays he made and ignoring all the times he missed holes due to his lack of vision.

What we generally ignored was that he only had more than 3.6 YPC in a game 5 times and finished with 3.56 YPC.

Kool-Aid Larry said:
Blackjacks said:

because bradshaw's terrible?
I just don't ever see him as a healthy option

cstu said:
Blackjacks said:

A lot of people (including myself) were making excuses for him (ribs), talking about 10 rushing TD's and 51 receptions, and showing the good plays he made and ignoring all the times he missed holes due to his lack of vision.

What we generally ignored was that he only had more than 3.6 YPC in a game 5 times and finished with 3.56 YPC.
yeah, I remember a lot of comparisons to tomlinson's rookie year

cstu said:
Blackjacks said:

Doug Martin had a few monster games against some pretty horrible defenses his rookie year that skewed his YPC as well. Take out a handful of his games, and his YPC goes down to 3.75ish. He had a pretty bad sophmore slump as well.

I thought he was a good buy low prior to starting this thread and now I think he is a GREAT buy low.

I think you an get this guy in the 5-6 round and I think he will be a steal there.

I thought he was a good buy low prior to starting this thread and now I think he is a GREAT buy low.

I think you an get this guy in the 5-6 round and I think he will be a steal there.
Whistling through the graveyard.

Not quite getting the feedback you wanted, huh?

Except you didn't buy low. You traded Lynch and Michael for him and a 1st and 2nd next year and a 2nd this year. Lynch is a monster.

Except you didn't buy low. You traded Lynch and Michael for him and a 1st and 2nd next year and a 2nd this year. Lynch is a monster.
what??

that's not true
The actual trade:

Blackjacks gave up:Lynch, Marshawn SEA RB

Michael, Christine SEA RB

Pead, Isaiah STL RB

Harvin, Percy SEA WR

Rough Riders gave up:

Richardson, Trent IND RB

Year 2014 Draft Pick 2.06

Year 2015 Round 1 Draft Pick from Saints

Year 2015 Round 2 Draft Pick from Rough Riders

what??

that's not true
The actual trade:

Blackjacks gave up:

Lynch, Marshawn SEA RB

Pead, Isaiah STL RB

Harvin, Percy SEA WR

Rough Riders gave up:

Richardson, Trent IND RB

Oh my. I have a feeling this will not end well for Blackjacks.

Oof.

That would have been a fairly even trade headed into last year when people thought Richardson was a top 5 dynasty RB. Now? Yikes. Far from a buy low.

To Tim's defense, he did get a first rounder in the deal and they carry much more weight than in most leagues. In this league, when guys enter their contract year, you can choose to extend them, not extend them or tag them. Each team has a Franchise and Transition tag. In order to bid on Franchised players, the team must have two first rounders in this or next year's draft. Once a player is called out on Free Agent Night, only teams that have two first can bid. They cannot acquire a first after bidding has started. To bid on a Transitioned player, the owner has to have a one first round pick in either this or next year's draft.

So the trade is lopsided, but that first gave Tim a second first rounder and Tim has a ton of money under the cap now as that trade also saved him key cap dollars. That extra money and those first rounders could turn into some very strong players on Free Agent Night.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I love buy low opportunities and am considering acquiring him.

There's two "sides" in this debate - either you think he sucks, or you think he had bad luck last year. Truth be told, it's probably somewhere in between. The naysayers have already flocked to the thread, as usual, so here are a few things to think about:

1) Richardson was viewed as an average to below average pass blocker in Cleveland, and generally came off the field for Ogbayonna. In Indy, he had to learn all new pass protection schemes, which took time.

2) Richardson played five games leading up to the Colts' bye: @49ers, @Jaguars, vs Seahawks, @Chargers, vs Broncos. That's four of the top six run defenses in the NFL last year, and a road game against Jacksonville. He went 75/228/2. After that, he didn't get double digit carries again until week 15.

3) The last game before the bye - the home win against Denver - was the game where Reggie Wayne went down for the season. That meant that in the second half of the season, the receivers were T.Y. Hilton, Griff Whalen, Coby Fleener, Lavonn Brazill. Until Richardson improved his pass blocking, it was easy for defenses to handle Richardson when he came in the game - cover Hilton and attack.

4) As you can imagine, he was getting hit a lot behind the line of scrimmage. But teams teeing off on the run when he was in helped him as a receiver. Before the bye week, he had two catches on 7 targets. After the bye week, he had 26 receptions for 246 yards and a TD on 34 targets. That's a receiving pace similar to his 51/367/1 in 2012, but with better yards per reception.

5) By the end of the season, reports were that Richardson's pass blocking had improved, but he only got 8 carries in week 17, one in the first round of the playoffs, and three in the second round. He was not targeted for a single pass in those games. Both Richardson and Pagano have stated that it's a priority to get him more in tune with the play calling this offseason, and just like a rookie back, his pass blocking will be a big part of deciding how much time he gets on the field.

6) The obvious comparable for Richardson's midseason trade is Marshawn Lynch. After early success, Lynch was demoted from the starting lineup in favor of Fred Jackson, who had a surprising 1000 yard season at 28 years of age. The following year, he was traded midseason to Seattle. Lynch - a punishing power runner who isn't the brightest bulb on the tree - saw his yards per carry drop to 3.5 for the rest of the 2010 season. But in 2011, Lynch bounced back in a huge way, putting up 1200 yards and 12 TDs at a 4.2 YPC clip. Richardson may or may not have the talent that Lynch has, but the precedent exists for a guy to bounce back in his first full season with a team after getting traded midseason.

7) Of course, the midseason trade argument is overplayed. I mean, how long does the guy need? Lots of guys miss the preseason and play a lot better than Richardson did. But remember, Richardson was 22, a second year player who believed his own hype, and has been described as "dumb as a box of hair". Then he got a big serving of humble pie against a ridiculous stretch of good defenses, and ended up losing the starting job to a more experienced player. The fact that the team is talking about him as their starter - and that they let Brown walk and didn't replace him - suggests that he'll be given a lot more first team reps and guidance during the offseason than the Colts were able to give him while preparing for games during a playoff season.

8) His 3.0 YPC last year undoubtedly sucked. And his 3.6 YPC in Cleveland wasn't much better. But remember that he was hurt for much of that rookie campaign, and played through injury. He had some bad games - including an 8 rush, 8 yard performance against the Colts that makes you wonder what they were thinking when they traded for him - but he also had games of 19/109/1, 24/122/1, 17/81/1, 25/105, 29/85/1, and 9/53, plus good receiving totals. Seven of his first 15 games were for over 100 total yards, and the eighth was for 95 total yards. That's not bad for a rookie. His season totals weren't great, but the Browns were an underdog in almost every single game they played. He did OK for an injured rookie, all things considered.

Put that together, and what do you get? I don't know. And neither do you. It's impossible to know whether Richardson's going to be good this year or not, because the truth of the matter is, he hasn't been that great so far since coming to the NFL. He's a talented prospect with a great opportunity but effectively a one year prove-it contract on a team that demoted him last year, then dumped its surprisingly successful veteran runner and drafted no young competition, leaving him competing with an aging vet and a guy who's looked ok in spot duty.

To me, that sounds a hell of a lot like McFadden. Both of those guys are interesting fliers to me this year. I won't pay a starter price for either of them but if I can get them cheap - truly cheap - I will. If I can't, I won't lose sleep over it. In dynasty, Richardson is more valuable to me because he's on a better team, has a little less competition, and he's less injury prone and a lot younger. If you've got the ammunition to pick him up cheap and swing for the fences, I think it's a good gamble, even though there's a real chance it doesn't pan out.

cstu said:
Blackjacks said:

Doug Martin had a few monster games against some pretty horrible defenses his rookie year that skewed his YPC as well. Take out a handful of his games, and his YPC goes down to 3.75ish. He had a pretty bad sophmore slump as well.
Even taking out Martin's best games he was still a good deal better than Richardson. 9 out of his 16 games he was right around 4 YPC or higher.

Besides those 5 games over 3.6 YPC, Richardson's YPC was 2.77 in the other 11 games.

To Tim's defense, he did get a first rounder in the deal and they carry much more weight than in most leagues. In this league, when guys enter their contract year, you can choose to extend them, not extend them or tag them. Each team has a Franchise and Transition tag. In order to bid on Franchised players, the team must have two first rounders in this or next year's draft. Once a player is called out on Free Agent Night, only teams that have two first can bid. They cannot acquire a first after bidding has started. To bid on a Transitioned player, the owner has to have a one first round pick in either this or next year's draft.

So the trade is lopsided, but that first gave Tim a second first rounder and Tim has a ton of money under the cap now as that trade also saved him key cap dollars. That extra money and those first rounders could turn into some very strong players on Free Agent Night.
yeah, I misunderstood the earlier post -- thought he gave lynch plus the picks for richardson.

guess he just needs to do better than lynch + harvin with those picks, which I wouldn't want to bank on, but who knows.

can we get this thread stickied?

6) The obvious comparable for Richardson's midseason trade is Marshawn Lynch. After early success, Lynch was demoted from the starting lineup in favor of Fred Jackson, who had a surprising 1000 yard season at 28 years of age. The following year, he was traded midseason to Seattle. Lynch - a punishing power runner who isn't the brightest bulb on the tree - saw his yards per carry drop to 3.5 for the rest of the 2010 season. But in 2011, Lynch bounced back in a huge way, putting up 1200 yards and 12 TDs at a 4.2 YPC clip. Richardson may or may not have the talent that Lynch has, but the precedent exists for a guy to bounce back in his first full season with a team after getting traded midseason.
It took Lynch awhile to get up to speed but he averaged just under 4 YPC (3.91) the last 7 games of the season and scored 5 TD's in the second half.

Lynch was also proven and averaged over 4 YPC in his 3+ years in Buffalo.

I'm not a believer that Richardson with turn his career around but I'm not closing the door on him either. However, I do think he's extremely over-valued at the moment with what people think he can be versus what he's actually shown on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
cstu said:
Blackjacks said:

Even taking out Martin's best games he was still a good deal better than Richardson. 9 out of his 16 games he was right around 4 YPC or higher.

Besides those 5 games over 3.6 YPC, Richardson's YPC was 2.77 in the other 11 games.
For sure, Martin's rookie season was better from a YPC standpoint. I'm just saying he laid some eggs in there as well, and they both had a disappointing sophmore season.

what??

that's not true
The actual trade:

Pead, Isaiah STL RB

Harvin, Percy SEA WR

Rough Riders gave up:

Richardson, Trent IND RB

And I saved about 5 million dollars in a $32 million cap league.

no doubt Lynch is a stud but the hard part of the trade was getting rid of Michael who I believe is going to be very good.

However, I see Lynch dropping and Michael getting carries sooner rather than later and this year being a cluster.

Lynch being a FA next year opens the door for Michael but who knows, very good defenses in that league.

All in all the deal looks bad NOW but the #1 and the 5 million in cap savings will provide a similar player hopefully to Lynch.

Also, since it is a dynasty league. I got a guy who si 22 for a guy who is 28 and 1 strike away from suspension.

At the end of the day I still think Richardson will be a top 10 rb at the end of the year but I respect everyones views and they are bringing up good points

cstu said:
Blackjacks said:

For sure, Martin's rookie season was better from a YPC standpoint. I'm just saying he laid some eggs in there as well, and they both had a disappointing sophmore season.
You're really stretching here.

At the end of the day I still think Richardson will be a top 10 rb at the end of the year
I think he rebounds big time as well but you did give up more than most think is his going rate. I was offered pick 1.12 and 3.5 for him a few days ago and turned it down immediately so he's not always easy to get cheap. Some leagues you can get him for a mid second rounder so his price varies. I get more trade offers for him than any player I own, lot's of people trying to buy him cheap.

He's a polarizing player for fantasy. You can focus on the low YPC or just how bad he looked in general last year and come away thinking he's rubbish. Or you can focus on fact that even with a pre-season knee scope and cracked ribs he was RB7 or RB8 his first season and assume he just got mentally screwed up by the trade. Some say he's never displayed talent, yet a GM surrendered a first round pick for him after he got 17 NFL games of his to watch on tape so clearly their are those who see the talent on tape.Other don't. You asked for opinions and you got them, most of them negative, but you got your guy and if he rebonds you'll be happy you did.

Blackjacks said:
I just made a pretty big trade to acquire Trent Richardson in a keeper league and I know a lot of people are down on him due to his horrible performance last year. However, I see a lot of upside with him.

1) He plays in a high scoring offense and will never have a stacked box against him

2) He is one of the only true 3 down backs in the league. He will not come off the field on third downs and only briefly for a rest

4) Indy didn't draft a rb in the draft or pick up anyone in FA which shows support in him.

5) He is still young and still talented.

I basically traded M Lynch and C Michael (and dumped some players) for Trent and picks. In our league I saved a lot of money (salary cap league) but at the end of the day I really like Trent's outlook for this year and going forward.

I know some he is slow but I believe he ran 4.5ish at 225 lbs which is pretty good.

thoughts on him for the upcoming year........

(and I did look for T Rich posts and didn't really find any even though I am sure there are some out there.
My eyes don't lie. Richardson's not that good. While has shown the capability of punching it in near the goalline and has some power, he lacks any sort of big play capability. He isn't really quick to the hole, not sure it's because he's a little slow or if his vision isn't really good. When you'e not quick to the hole......you get a lot of.....3 yards and a cloud of dust.

He's a decent receiver, but Luck is not a QB who likes to throw it to the RB......he prefers to go downfield and utilizes the TE a lot. 2013, IND had 76 receptions to the backs, which is about 2x the amount of IND RB receptions in 2012. The increase is mainly due to IND losing Wayne for the year. I would err on the conservative side, and predict that Luck will probably complete somewhere around 50 passes to the RBs. Which means that Richardson is going to have a tall order to get say 30-40 receptions. Since Richardson isn't a big play guy and likely won't come near a 4.5 YPC, he needs TDs and receptions to be a fantasy asset.

Since Luck has been the QB, the Colts only have rushed the ball 335 and 364 times AS A TEAM. And Bradshaw and Ballard are still in the mix. Still think Richardson is going to get 275+ carries?

Also Luck is guaranteed to vulture at least 4 rushing TDs.

Face it, the IND offense runs through Luck. I will pass on Richardson. Even in the 5th or 6th round. Rather get someone who has more upside.

Funny that you made a big trade to get Richardson. Midyear last year, I made a big trade to dump Richardson in my auction keeper league.

Best of luck to you.

what??

that's not true
The actual trade:

Pead, Isaiah STL RB

Harvin, Percy SEA WR

Rough Riders gave up:

Richardson, Trent IND RB

no doubt Lynch is a stud but the hard part of the trade was getting rid of Michael who I believe is going to be very good.

However, I see Lynch dropping and Michael getting carries sooner rather than later and this year being a cluster.

Lynch being a FA next year opens the door for Michael but who knows, very good defenses in that league.

All in all the deal looks bad NOW but the #1 and the 5 million in cap savings will provide a similar player hopefully to Lynch.

Also, since it is a dynasty league. I got a guy who si 22 for a guy who is 28 and 1 strike away from suspension.

At the end of the day I still think Richardson will be a top 10 rb at the end of the year but I respect everyones views and they are bringing up good points
Well after I traded Brandon Marshall last year and his $6.5 million contract this year, you really needed to save that money.

what??

that's not true
The actual trade:

Pead, Isaiah STL RB

Harvin, Percy SEA WR

Rough Riders gave up:

Richardson, Trent IND RB

Well after I traded Brandon Marshall last year and his $6.5 million contract this year, you really needed to save that money.
agreed!

Users who are viewing this thread