What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trevor Bauer and the effects of voicing non-left wing political thought (1 Viewer)

Caveman33

Footballguy
Last year, he was accused of sexual assault.  After news broke in early summer that the Pasadena police were investigating Bauer, MLB placed him on administrative leave for the remainder of the season.  Last month, the Los Angeles DA announced they would not be filing any charges against him.

Over the last year, it was revealed that his accuser was a member of a Padres fan club and had previously pursued and engaged in sex with two Padres.  She bragged to friends about those conquests as well as her affair with Bauer.  She and Bauer had sex twice.  After the first encounter but before the second, they had the following text exchange:

“You want to go out huh? Mmmm,” he says.

“Si. That was a game changer,” she replies.

“Tell me more,” he writes.

“Never been more turned on in my life,” she says. “Gimme all the pain. Rawr.”

The day after their second tryst, she visited a hospital.  Initial stories showed pictures of her bruised and scratched face and mentioned that she had skull fractures.  The actual medical report showed no evidence of skull fractures.  After the story broke, a friend texted the accuser telling her to secure the bag.  She said, 'Give me 50 million and slap my cl*t.'

I thought Bauer was a polarizing figure before the allegations.  He was exposing the ways in which pitchers doctor the ball and putting up CY Young type numbers while doing it.  Now the sexual assault investigation has concluded without charges, and it seems to me like it was a mostly false allegation, yet many people still hate him.  This led me to theorize that he likely expressed non-left wing thoughts in the past.  So I googled and sure enough, there are various stories about his political activity on Twitter during the 2016 election.  Is it really this easy to figure out how public figures will be treated by MSM and society?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year, he was accused of sexual assault.  After news broke in early summer that the Pasadena police were investigating Bauer, MLB placed him on administrative leave for the remainder of the season.  Last month, the Los Angeles DA announced they would not be filing any charges against him.

Over the last year, it was revealed that his accuser was a member of a Padres fan club and had previously pursued and engaged in sex with two Padres.  She bragged to friends about those conquests as well as her affair with Bauer.  She and Bauer had sex twice.  After the first encounter but before the second, they had the following text exchange:

The day after their second tryst, she visited a hospital.  Initial stories showed pictures of her bruised and scratched face and mentioned that she had skull fractures.  The actual medical report showed no evidence of skull fractures.  After the story broke, a friend texted the accuser telling her to secure the bag.  She said, 'Give me 50 million and slap my cl*t.'

I thought Bauer was a polarizing figure before the allegations.  He was exposing the ways in which pitchers doctor the ball and putting up CY Young type numbers while doing it.  Now the sexual assault investigation has concluded without charges, and it seems to me like it was a mostly false allegation, yet many people still hate him.  This led me to theorize that he likely expressed non-left wing thoughts in the past.  So I googled and sure enough, there are various stories about his political activity on Twitter during the 2016 election.  Is it really this easy to figure out how public figures will be treated by MSM and society?
Bauer has always been a different dude and honestly pissed people off long before he became political. 

Guy has a personality that rubs some people the wrong way. A girl he was sleeping with tried to cash in on that. Not sure how any of that translates to he's a conservative and is bein persecuted for that.  :confused:

Bauer has always been a different dude and honestly pissed people off long before he became political. 

Guy has a personality that rubs some people the wrong way. A girl he was sleeping with tried to cash in on that. Not sure how any of that translates to he's a conservative and is bein persecuted for that.  :confused:
I read that he identifies as a free market capitalist and social liberal.  

This led me to theorize that he likely expressed non-left wing thoughts in the past.  So I googled and sure enough, there are various stories about his political activity on Twitter during the 2016 election.  Is it really this easy to figure out how public figures will be treated by MSM and society?

You are making a connection here, which I don't think exists.

I keep hearing about people being persecuted in this country for voicing conservative thoughts, but I’ve yet to encounter an actual example of it. 

ETA- I’m referring to mainstream, traditional conservative thoughts- not racism, bigotry or extremism. 

I keep hearing about people being persecuted in this country for voicing conservative thoughts, but I’ve yet to encounter an actual example of it. 

ETA- I’m referring to mainstream, traditional conservative thoughts- not racism, bigotry or extremism. 

Well, Tim, you keep repeating the same thing in all the threads despite the mounds of evidence, data and links provided to you. 

Your posts are the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears, closing your eyes and shouting, "I'm not listening".

Well, Tim, you keep repeating the same thing in all the threads despite the mounds of evidence, data and links provided to you. 

Your posts are the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears, closing your eyes and shouting, "I'm not listening".
My point is that every time a piece of evidence is presented it turns out to be something altogether different (as, apparently, in this case.) 

A guy at work bought a car out of the paper once. Ten years later, BAM. Herpes

There are mainstream conservatives and mainstream liberals who can actually talk and work things out. It is the far right and the radical left that causes the division.

Why do you call it “far” right and “radical” left? Why those adjectives? 
Good question. It would seem using the adjective "extreme" for both instances would be appropriate. In the post quoted there appears to be a distinction in severity made wherein one is worse than the other or, one is just not as bad as the other. Just another in a long line of divisive tactics, if you will. It may not have been intentional on the part of the poster, I'm not saying it was but, that is where we are.

Personally, I see divisiveness throughout the mainstream of either side with each taking its cues from their extreme fringes. The divisiveness ranges in varying degrees of course but, it is all unnecessary and none of it is good for the country as a whole. 

Caveman33 said:
Last year, he was accused of sexual assault. 
These days when I hear this my initial thought drifts to a false accusation.  Nick Anderson sticks out particularly as the girl ended up offering a bribe to drop charges - that always stuck with me.  We've seen lots of examples since.

Sadly all it takes is the accusation and he's besmirched for life.  

These days when I hear this my initial thought drifts to a false accusation.  Nick Anderson sticks out particularly as the girl ended up offering a bribe to drop charges - that always stuck with me.  We've seen lots of examples since.

How often are sexual assault accusations false? It’s pretty rare, I think. From what I’ve read,  2-8%? 
in the case of celebrities or public figures, I would think it’s even more rare. After all who wants to be attacked or vilified like that, as a public spectacle? Look at what Christine Blasey Ford had to suffer, or those women who spoke out about Trump. Yes false accusations do happen but they’re really unusual IMO. 

And yet most rapes and assaults go unreported.  So I mean, it’s easy to blame women but to be honest guys are often pigs.  

How often are sexual assault accusations false? It’s pretty rare, I think. From what I’ve read,  2-8%? 
in the case of celebrities or public figures, I would think it’s even more rare. After all who wants to be attacked or vilified like that, as a public spectacle? Look at what Christine Blasey Ford had to suffer, or those women who spoke out about Trump. Yes false accusations do happen but they’re really unusual IMO. 
I don't know the answer to the first question and I'm too lazy to look it up right now.  That said, I think your reasoning is off with regard to celebrities.  I would think false accusations would be more likely, by virtue of a potential financial motive for the accuser in a civil suit.

I don't know the answer to the first question and I'm too lazy to look it up right now.  That said, I think your reasoning is off with regard to celebrities.  I would think false accusations would be more likely, by virtue of a potential financial motive for the accuser in a civil suit.
I don’t know the numbers either.Only guessing. 

I don’t know the numbers either.Only guessing. 
2-8% false allegations is an often cited number.  It's a rather wide estimate.  Most allegations are never determined to be either true or false.  In this study of ~3,000 sexual assault reports, less than 7% ended in conviction.  https://www.uml.edu/news/stories/2019/sexual_assault_research.aspx  I suppose you could say this shows the number of real rapes and false allegations to be roughly equal.  I don't believe that, though.

It is estimated that most sexual assaults are not reported.  It seems logical that celebrities would be more likely than the average person to face false allegations.  Every case should be viewed by itself.  Believe all women, which inevitable means believe no men, is not productive.    

2-8% false allegations is an often cited number.  It's a rather wide estimate.  Most allegations are never determined to be either true or false.  In this study of ~3,000 sexual assault reports, less than 7% ended in conviction.  https://www.uml.edu/news/stories/2019/sexual_assault_research.aspx  I suppose you could say this shows the number of real rapes and false allegations to be roughly equal.  I don't believe that, though.

It is estimated that most sexual assaults are not reported.  It seems logical that celebrities would be more likely than the average person to face false allegations.  Every case should be viewed by itself.  Believe all women, which inevitable means believe no men, is not productive.    
Fair enough, and I would never argue that we should believe all women. But in opposition to my friend @Sand I think it’s appropriate to at least begin with the assumption that if a woman is willing to go public about such a terrible event, it’s much more likely true than not. 

Fair enough, and I would never argue that we should believe all women. But in opposition to my friend @Sand I think it’s appropriate to at least begin with the assumption that if a woman is willing to go public about such a terrible event, it’s much more likely true than not. 
Yea, I think I tend to give accusers the benefit of doubt.  I believe rape is a lot more common than false allegations.  But there are motives for false allegations and public figures can be targeted for shakedowns.  The case against Bauer has always been light on evidence against him.  I can't relate to his kink but it certainly looks like he was victim to a false allegation. 

This is 100% correct. I am not saying that sexual assault accusations by women shouldn't be taken seriously, they should be. The problem as I see it is that humans have a propensity to judge others before a complete knowledge of all the facts are gained. There's an inherent time disparity between when an initial accusation is made and when all available facts become known. By the time all the facts are known and an accusation is deemed false (for whatever reason,) the damage has already been done to the person accused. Vindication in a court of law rarely transfers equally to the court of public opinion. Especially for those accused who aren't high profile individuals in the national spotlight.

Having been falsely accused, 19 years ago, of sexual assault of an under 4-year old female child I am speaking from experience on this issue. As such, I find myself unwilling to immediately conclude the veracity of any such claims about others until the dust has cleared and all available facts are known.

I apologize for the tangent in this topic but, I felt I needed to comment on this post by @Sand. Carry on.

So Bauer was accused of sexual assault because he voiced non-left wing political views?
No, I think he was accused because he treated this groupie like a rag doll, choking and slapping her.  Feeling shame, pain and embarrassment, the groupie pursued charges and monetary gain.  The mainstream news coverage, MLB decisions, and society's general sentiment towards him may be a result of him voicing non-left wing views.

No, I think he was accused because he treated this groupie like a rag doll, choking and slapping her.  Feeling shame, pain and embarrassment, the groupie pursued charges and monetary gain.  The mainstream news coverage, MLB decisions, and society's general sentiment towards him may be a result of him voicing non-left wing views.
Or it could be (as you put it) treating her like a rag doll, chocking and slapping her

Logic would seem to dictate that it's more common.  I can easily get behind the "money" factor for accusing a pro athlete of rape.  I can easily get behind the "I don't want him in that position of power" factor."  Why are women running around falsely accusing Joe Schmoe of rape?  

Make no mistake, celebrities and powerful people are capable of vile things and have been guilty of them.  But they're also huge targets because of their money and power.  

And while we should take these complaints seriously, we should stop short of indicting the accused without evidence.  Poor Christine Blasey Ford--what about poor Kavanaugh if he didn't do it?  

I have a bad habit of skipping the subject and disagreeing with something @timschochet says.  I enjoy debating with you, Tim and we seem to often be quite opposite one another.  

To the actual subject, I don't know what his conservative beliefs have to do with it.  He either did it or he didn't.  And if she's falsely accusing him, it's to "get that bag" not to cancel another Republican.  I think the kind of woman that would falsely accuse a man of rape would just as quickly do it to a Liberal.

Well, you're better than Maisie Hirono.   :P

I agree that these accusations should be taken incredibly seriously and investigated fully.  In the case of accusations against public figures I have seen enough be false to have my brain doubt a bit more there.  

He’s always been a bizarre guy and not always the favorite guy in the clubhouse. He’s apparently got a kink for the rough stuff and to be frank, with the money he has he should hire a professional. I think he’s being incredibly naive to believe as a guy worth tens of millions that this wasn’t a likely outcome. 

When it comes to Deshaun Watson I really don’t get it. I mean how many women had to conspire against him?  Is there something more to that situation we don’t know?

I think the kind of woman that would falsely accuse a man of rape would just as quickly do it to a Liberal.
It would be interesting to see a political breakdown of those accused of sexual misconduct. Seems like there are plenty of high profile liberals in the mix. Is the OP suggesting conservatives are more likely to be falsely accused?

Personally, I doubt it. I bet the breakdown is unreported rapes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> rapes correctly prosecuted >>>>>>> false accusations for monetary gain >>>>> false accusations for other reasons, including “cancel culture”

Curt Schilling.

Bauer has now sued the Athletic and Deadspin for defamation.  Seems like a uphill battle based on what little I know, but good luck to him and I hope he finds what he is looking for.

It would be interesting to see a political breakdown of those accused of sexual misconduct. Seems like there are plenty of high profile liberals in the mix. Is the OP suggesting conservatives are more likely to be falsely accused?

Personally, I doubt it. I bet the breakdown is unreported rapes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> rapes correctly prosecuted >>>>>>> false accusations for monetary gain >>>>> false accusations for other reasons, including “cancel culture”
No, other factors usually determine who is falsely accused.  I am proposing that how society treats the accused person will differ depending upon how the public perceives that person's politics.  Bauer is now pursuing lawsuits against Deadspin and the Athletic over their reporting on his story.  

Bauer, 31, argues in the lawsuit that the Athletic and its former writer Molly Knight had acted with actual malice in efforts to try to smear his name after they "deliberately ignored the truth," according to the lawsuit. The outlet and Knight created and spread "the false narrative" that Bauer had fractured the skull of his sexual assault accuser, which the CT scans did not show, Bauer claims.
My theory is that the editors at the Athletic and Deadspin would have scrutinized and removed Molly Knight's false statements if Bauer had not voiced non-left wing thought.  Apparently, he had been tweeting in support of Trump.  There was a target on his back.

Caveman33 said:
No, other factors usually determine who is falsely accused.  I am proposing that how society treats the accused person will differ depending upon how the public perceives that person's politics.  Bauer is now pursuing lawsuits against Deadspin and the Athletic over their reporting on his story.  

My theory is that the editors at the Athletic and Deadspin would have scrutinized and removed Molly Knight's false statements if Bauer had not voiced non-left wing thought.  Apparently, he had been tweeting in support of Trump.  There was a target on his back.
Ok, I think false accusations are pretty rare, and the impact of political affiliation largely inconsequential.

Ok, I think false accusations are pretty rare, and the impact of political affiliation largely inconsequential.
Do you think the sexual assault allegation against Bauer was false?

Sexual violence, even when consensual, is disturbing to me.  When I first read about Bauer's case last year, I was very disturbed.  As Molly Knight tweeted, it is not possible to consent to a skull fracture.  However, Molly had access to the medical report and the CT scan showed no evidence of a skull fracture.  The accuser's statements to the ER doc led the doc to speculate that there could be a skull fracture and that was the rationale for ordering the CT.  Why did the Athletic allow their reporters to create this false perception of the accuser's injuries? 

That is the question that CTT, critical thought theory, is trying to answer.  To this day, many "informed" Redditors believe that Bauer fractured the accuser's skull.  The truth is easy to find but these people would rather cling to the falsehood because of Bauer's political ideology.  Similar to most claims of racism, I doubt there is concrete proof that CTT is what motivated the Athletic's reporting on Bauer, but now that I have the idea of CTT in my head, I'm constantly seeing examples of it. 

That is the question that CTT, critical thought theory, is trying to answer.  To this day, many "informed" Redditors believe that Bauer fractured the accuser's skull.  The truth is easy to find but these people would rather cling to the falsehood because of Bauer's political ideology.  Similar to most claims of racism, I doubt there is concrete proof that CTT is what motivated the Athletic's reporting on Bauer, but now that I have the idea of CTT in my head, I'm constantly seeing examples of it. 
Isn't a simpler explanation that most people are just plain lazy?

Why do you call it “far” right and “radical” left? Why those adjectives? 

5000 idiots during J6 don't represent all Conservatives, nor all Republicans nor all of the total political spectrum (including masses of Moderates, Independents and Undecideds) who are plain piss tired of the fringe woke cancel culture pervasive in almost all every day interactions in current modern American society.

The Republican Party is not some monolith. Some people want to treat it that way because it makes it easier to dehumanize them, silence their views and rationalize hunting them down.

The "radical left" does not represent the extremely large base of "traditional liberals" who are generally fairly moderate and comprise most of the current Democratic Party. These are every day working class Americans who want to keep their children safe and live good lives. Their viewpoint of how to solve large scale political/social/cultural/economic problems might be different than Conservatives, but they aren't looking fulfill some partisan blood lust.

The Democratic Party is not some monolith. I REFUSE to treat them as such.

I can't speak to why others use a certain type of nomenclature, but I use "radical left" as a distinction because I have no quarrel with traditional liberals. I don't want to assign to them the sheer and utter social and cultural terrorist type tendencies of the hard radical left. I embrace the base of traditional liberals. And to be honest, I think they generally despise the radical left more the Conservatives do.

Nobody wants "Cosplay Revolutionaries", hell bent on treating social terrorism like a traditional competitive sport,  to determine broad scale practical public policy nor day to day functional governance.

I find it utterly amazing that a fringe political collective, mostly recast furry tree huggers from the defunct no longer trendy "Save The Whale" crowd that's too gutless to cut their enemies throats themselves and have seen Les Miserables too many times, could contain so much leverage in Hollywood, Big Education, Big Finance, Big Social Media, Big Tech, most of the entertainment/leisure sector and most of the MSM.

You can't be a real revolutionary unless you are willing to spill real blood at real scale. This is not a partisan statement, it's a reflection of how practical efficient politics actually works across all of recorded human history.

Major League Baseball just suspended Bauer FOR TWO YEARS.

Do conservatives still want to hitch their wagon to this guy?

Joe Rogan, Elon Musk, Ben Shapiro, Chris Pratt, JK Rowling, Aaron Rodgers, Gina Carano, Dave Chappelle and more don't exist in some very small bubble as part of some monolith knows as "The Right"

But let's be real about this, to the radical left -

"Right Wing" = Anyone Who Disagrees With Us And/Or Won't Give Us What We Want When We Want It And Just Exactly How We Demanded It Or We Will Hunt You Down

The lesson here is if you have a large platform of any kind and you oppose the radical left, which has clearly infected the core of the establishment Democrats and pushed them further southpaw, then you need

1) To operate with a near zero margin for error.

Leave nothing to attack. Jordan Peterson was up against the cancel culture and there was nothing they dig into his life or his personal history or his past to use against him.

2) To have pure leverage that can't be denied

Joe Rogan has a massive platform and a massive following, the monetary losses associated with canceling him were just too high. Musk is of critical importance to the Military Industrial Complex. That means anyone seen as a real threat to him will face the wrath of essentially a high speed Tier 1 level private army with world wide reach. If you want to go to war with Musk, you need to do it by having literally entire governments around the world conspire against him at this point.

Is Trevor Bauer someone who can be called "Right Wing"?

Bauer put himself in a position to be picked off. He had scandal he couldn't contain and didn't have the leverage to make it go away. So he got picked off.

Oprah Winfrey could choose to be a Conservative. And if she had a camera crew recording her burning down orphanages, I'm not sure anyone in the MSM would say a single word.

MLB only cares about money. And that means "Defending The Brand" at all costs. Bauer was always a contrarian so his days were always numbered.

I don’t know, call me crazy, but maybe this has absolutely nothing to do with his political affiliation and everything to do with the fact he likes to beat on women.  Where I come from some people find that disgusting and despicable.   

Users who are viewing this thread