What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trip's Official Top 30 Grunge Era Rock and Post Grunge Era Rock Songs (1 Viewer)

Not a bad list at all. Loved seeing "show me how to live" on there.   Would like to have seen maybe one Offspring song on there.   I'm not a huge fan of theirs--but their Smash album in 1994 stands out as being one of the more formative albums in the era being discussed. 

Not a bad list at all. Loved seeing "show me how to live" on there.   Would like to have seen maybe one Offspring song on there.   I'm not a huge fan of theirs--but their Smash album in 1994 stands out as being one of the more formative albums in the era being discussed. 
Good call, I think “Come out and play” is the pick...  also maybe a Sublime song?  

Last edited by a moderator:
I am from Seattle and was in college during the peak of the grunge era, so I am clearly an expert here.

These are some songs that would have appeared on my list that did not appear in the OP:

Possum Kingdom - The Toadies

Tyler - The Toadies

Siva - Smashing Pumpkins

I am One - Smashing Pumpkins

Heroin Girl - Everclear

Stardog Champion - Mother Love Bone

Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns - Mother Love Bone

River of Deceit - Mad Season

Say Hello 2 Heaven - Temple of the Dog

Loud Love - Soundgarden

Nearly Lost You - Screaming Trees

Sliver - Nirvana

Breed - Nirvana

Between the Eyes - Love Battery

Violet - Hole

really impossible to do 30 songs, that said at first glance, Smells Like Teen Spirit is the most obvious miss imo.  Alive also has to be on there.

I am from Seattle and was in college during the peak of the grunge era, so I am clearly an expert here.

These are some songs that would have appeared on my list that did not appear in the OP:

Possum Kingdom - The Toadies

Tyler - The Toadies

Siva - Smashing Pumpkins

I am One - Smashing Pumpkins

Heroin Girl - Everclear

Stardog Champion - Mother Love Bone

Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns - Mother Love Bone

River of Deceit - Mad Season

Say Hello 2 Heaven - Temple of the Dog

Loud Love - Soundgarden

Nearly Lost You - Screaming Trees

Sliver - Nirvana

Breed - Nirvana

Between the Eyes - Love Battery

Violet - Hole
Preciate the Toadies love but would have chosen different songs. Mr Love and Backslider.

Great call on Mad Season, but I would lobby for Wake Up. 

Everclear may suck, but solid add.

And Breed was an even better add. Even if Sliver wasn't. If I'm going backwards I'm going Love Buzz.

Not top 5 songs by either band. Maybe top 10. 
Everyone's entitled to their opinion.  I wouldn't say Alive is one of Pearl Jam's best 5 songs but it's one of the top 30 of the era.  Most of those songs you wouldn't even have heard of if not for Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion.  I wouldn't say Alive is one of Pearl Jam's best 5 songs but it's one of the top 30 of the era.  Most of those songs you wouldn't even have heard of if not for Smells Like Teen Spirit.
That's a totally different subject. 

Preciate the Toadies love but would have chosen different songs. Mr Love and Backslider.

Great call on Mad Season, but I would lobby for Wake Up. 

Everclear may suck, but solid add.

And Breed was an even better add. Even if Sliver wasn't. If I'm going backwards I'm going Love Buzz.
Everclear’s first album was pure greatness. They got spotty after that and then just plain bad.

Black is the only Pearl Jam song I would consider indispensable from their early catalog. And I didn’t even list it. Oops.
Porch, Rearviewmirror, and Not For You are my top tier. Black, I Got Id, and Ledbetter are a part of the second tier. Evenflow and Alive are behind it, but I'm not sure how many others I'd include in tier 2. 

I also want to add...

Mountain Song, Jane’s Addiction

Loser, Beck

Soul to Squeeze or Give it Away by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. 

I think we need a bigger list.   
I kinda like that he forced himself down to 30. Requires making difficult decisions. I tried making my own list when i wasn't paying attention on a zoom earlier and despite only about 40% engagement I was over 50 in under an hour. I'm sure I could trim some of them, but I also know I'll find more if I dig in later.

I kinda like that he forced himself down to 30. Requires making difficult decisions. I tried making my own list when i wasn't paying attention on a zoom earlier and despite only about 40% engagement I was over 50 in under an hour. I'm sure I could trim some of them, but I also know I'll find more if I dig in later.
Then you gotta limit the amount by one band to maybe 2 songs. 

Also this list needs Pepper by the butthole surfers. 

Also Also Here comes your man by the Pixies. 

Then you gotta limit the amount by one band to maybe 2 songs. 

Also this list needs Pepper by the butthole surfers. 

Also Also Here comes your man by the Pixies. 
Primus was the band I was thinking of, but this is also a great call.

Primus was the band I was thinking of, but this is also a great call.
Confession time, I’m just not a Primus fan at all. I saw them once and owned a couple of CDs, but I can’t remember ever thinking “man, I really need to hear some Primus right now.”  They’re the Weird Al of alternative/ hard rock and it just doesn’t do much for me. 

Okay, so I decided to do my definitive ranking of "grunge era" songs.

My criteria & notes:

• In keeping with the original post, I limited it to a Top 30. Challenging.
  • The song had to be released between 1988 and 1995.
  • The song had to be in the spirit of the grunge scene. That doesn't mean the artist had to be from Seattle, but I am not considering all alternative music of that time period.
  • No more than two songs per artist. And only one per "super group" (e.g. Temple of the Dog, Mad Season).
  • This is a ranking, based on my opinion of fit with the above criteria, quality, and significance. My commitment to the precise ranking of each song drops off a bit after the top dozen or so though.
  • I definitely omitted some major hits, most notably Smells Like Teen Spirit.

1. Loud Love - Soundgarden

2.  Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns - Mother Love Bone

3. Man in the Box - Alice in Chains

4. Breed - Nirvana

5. Fade Into You - Mazzy Star

6. Black - Pearl Jam

7. Violet - Hole

8. Sex Type Thing - Stone Temple Pilots

9. Siva - Smashing Pumpkins

10. Possum Kingdom - The Toadies

11. Come as You Are - Nirvana

12. Rooster - Alice in Chains

13. Rusty Cage - Soundgarden

14. Nearly Lost You - Screaming Trees

15. Heroin Girl - Everclear

16. Corduroy - Pearl Jam

17. Tyler - The Toadies

18. Hunger Strike - Temple of the Dog

19. Stars - Hum

20. Between the Eyes - Love Battery

21. Losing - Sweetwater

22. Doll Parts - Hole

23. Rhinoceros - Smashing Pumpkins

24. Kool Thing - Sonic Youth

25. Starseed - Our Lady Peace

26. River of Deceit - Mad Season

27. Unsung - Helmet

28. Interstate Love Song - Stone Temple Pilots

29. Start Chippin' - Dinosaur Jr.

30. Cannon Ball - The Breeders

Okay, so I decided to do my definitive ranking of "grunge era" songs.

My criteria & notes:

• In keeping with the original post, I limited it to a Top 30. Challenging.
  • The song had to be released between 1988 and 1995.
  • The song had to be in the spirit of the grunge scene. That doesn't mean the artist had to be from Seattle, but I am not considering all alternative music of that time period.
  • No more than two songs per artist. And only one per "super group" (e.g. Temple of the Dog, Mad Season).
  • This is a ranking, based on my opinion of fit with the above criteria, quality, and significance. My commitment to the precise ranking of each song drops off a bit after the top dozen or so though.
  • I definitely omitted some major hits, most notably Smells Like Teen Spirit.

1. Loud Love - Soundgarden

2.  Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns - Mother Love Bone

3. Man in the Box - Alice in Chains

4. Breed - Nirvana

5. Fade Into You - Mazzy Star

6. Black - Pearl Jam

7. Violet - Hole

8. Sex Type Thing - Stone Temple Pilots

9. Siva - Smashing Pumpkins

10. Possum Kingdom - The Toadies

11. Come as You Are - Nirvana

12. Rooster - Alice in Chains

13. Rusty Cage - Soundgarden

14. Nearly Lost You - Screaming Trees

15. Heroin Girl - Everclear

16. Corduroy - Pearl Jam

17. Tyler - The Toadies

18. Hunger Strike - Temple of the Dog

19. Stars - Hum

20. Between the Eyes - Love Battery

21. Losing - Sweetwater

22. Doll Parts - Hole

23. Rhinoceros - Smashing Pumpkins

24. Kool Thing - Sonic Youth

25. Starseed - Our Lady Peace

26. River of Deceit - Mad Season

27. Unsung - Helmet

28. Interstate Love Song - Stone Temple Pilots

29. Start Chippin' - Dinosaur Jr.

30. Cannon Ball - The Breeders

#1 is the correct Soundgarden song. 

Nearly Lost You by Screaming Trees needs to be on the list, as others have said.

Original list has waaaaaaay too many Stone Temple Pilot songs on it.  I never considered them grunge and more like Guns N Roses.

I hate to be this cliche, but you need "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on the list since that's the song that started the grunge movement.  Like it or not.

Nearly Lost You by Screaming Trees needs to be on the list, as others have said.

Original list has waaaaaaay too many Stone Temple Pilot songs on it.  I never considered them grunge and more like Guns N Roses.

I hate to be this cliche, but you need "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on the list since that's the song that started the grunge movement.  Like it or not.
Yeah, I pretty much like STP  more than everybody else and consider them the most popular of the underrated bands...overshadowed by so many of the giants of the era.

I also tend to like Audioslave more than most as well.  

Smells Like Teen Spirit just won't make my top 50, although I recognize its cultural and historical significance I'd much rather listen to at least 10 other Nirvana songs when I jump in my car.   Much better when I had youth angst...perhaps that's why RATM doesn't do much for me any more.

I need to revisit Screaming Trees...was never a huge fan, but didn't necessarily dislike them either...just seemed like part of the scene but nothing special.

Users who are viewing this thread