What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

True Detective: Tom went in to listen to the Cardinals game...in November. Mmmmmhmmmm... (3 Viewers)

I tend to agree with the criticism of a lack of detection.  

It was a whodonit with clues that very loosely tied together.  An 8 episode mystery with minimal clues to even speculate who is the culprit.  

All that time to find Mr June who apparently worked and lived in the same town.  I have never seen an eye like that in my entire life - and somehow June's isn't memorable. 

And then the girl's current whereabouts are revealed in a hallucination.

And in a throwaway scene in like episode 4-5 and they show the maintenance truck of the guy that married her as if to say "the clues were there"

I enjoyed the show - but it's like a 7-8 score - which is still favorable to a lot of junk on TV.

And the finale seems were a little wonky.  Why when watching the two kids ride their bikes and they zoom in on Hays eye as if he is remembering something about the crime - why is the memory about his wife?  Seemed a little over dramatic.  There was no reason for the dramatics of the eyeball zoom when they could have just showed it and it would have fit.

Just finished the show. Some plot holes as people here are pointing out but on the whole it was excellent and redeemed the series from the mediocrity that was season 2. Maharashi Ali was excellent, which is what we are coming to expect from him now, but for my money Stephen Dorff stole the show. Ali could have sucked all the air out of a scene but Dorff more than held his own.

And the finale seems were a little wonky.  Why when watching the two kids ride their bikes and they zoom in on Hays eye as if he is remembering something about the crime - why is the memory about his wife?  Seemed a little over dramatic.  There was no reason for the dramatics of the eyeball zoom when they could have just showed it and it would have fit.
I think the point of that was basically how this one case impacted Hays' life so dramatically as it led to his wife and kids and the kids were riding the bikes like how the case started with the Purcell kids riding their bikes. Life is a flat circle.

I think the point of that was basically how this one case impacted Hays' life so dramatically as it led to his wife and kids and the kids were riding the bikes like how the case started with the Purcell kids riding their bikes. Life is a flat circle.
Good reply.  Just seemed a little forced that the kids riding the bike and the dramatic eye event led back to the resolution with the wife.  The resolution with the wife was there to close the whole in the story.

Don't get me wrong - it's not a huge gripe.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been mentioned a few times on why it makes sense that June wasn't followed up on....When the case was closed the first time, everyone in the community had closure...the only people that "didn't" were Hays, Roland and Amelia.  But they obviously couldn't start continue to investigate b/c the case was closed.

When the case was reopened when Julie's fingerprints were found, June was already out of the picture and presumably out of the area living on his own after he let Julie go.  They hone in on this a few times in the show b/c they didn't even have his real name until they figured it out after talking to the former houseworker...as when they originally showed up at his house in 1980, the thing with the Indian dude happened shortly thereafter and there wasn't a need to follow up.

The only thing that I'm not 100% sure of is whether Hoyt knew that June is the one that let Julie out....I assume that answer is no, or he would've had him killed.

Also, I think there's two schools IMO of thought on Lucy's death:

1 - she made all the calls the night before she died b/c she ran out of money, then when security guy flew to Vegas to give her money, she OD'd

2 - she made all the calls b/c the guilt had finally eaten her up inside and she wanted to talk, then he flew to kill her

:shrug:

Tiger Fan said:
It's been mentioned a few times on why it makes sense that June wasn't followed up on....When the case was closed the first time, everyone in the community had closure...the only people that "didn't" were Hays, Roland and Amelia.  But they obviously couldn't start continue to investigate b/c the case was closed.
Help me if I remember wrong but why didn't they find him in the second timeline?  The first timeline was closed due to the cover up, right?

Just wrapped it up.

The acting is absolutely top notch, as is the writing- specifically for the characters and their relationships (more than for the actual who-dunnit, although I liked that). For a bit I was thinking Dorf was just crushing Ali there, but Dorfs character is written with more obvious range which allowed him to shine easier. Ali's has much more subtlety working in and around the monotone stoicism, that is allowed to manifest more around his wife. Halt and catch fire dad was great too, as was Ali's son. Tbh, I could've watched Ali and wife, Ali and Dorf and sit at the dinner table talking and been happy without any mystery- their characters, relationships were written that well and the actors were that good telling the story. Did somebody actually complain about Ali's acting here? Wow.

There were times during our one ep a night or so binge that it felt too slow moving the story with how much info is actually shared. I'd guess that played better watching live, once a week.

I did find strange how all-in chicken man ultimately went, having multiple innocent people killed to protect his daughter. Would've figured him to be a major criminal the way he played it. Also difficult to understand a mom walking away from justice and her two kids that way.

Tbh, I could've used a bit more ambiguity at the end, even if them wrapping it up via cyclops gave some satsifying closure (a little lazy).

I agree I would have liked a little more mystery and a little less answers. Especially in an 8-ep series. Still great though. 

Ali is one of the best actors alive right now imo 

Seeing this in the news is making me want to watch Season 1 again.  Unfortunately, nothing will compare to that.  What a brilliant season.  

eoMMan said:
I’d definitely like to see another season but not too excited about it taking place in the dark/night of the artic.
Couldn't it just as easily be taking place when it is all day?  Wasn't there a movie with this concept a few years back?

Major said:
Seeing this in the news is making me want to watch Season 1 again.  Unfortunately, nothing will compare to that.  What a brilliant season.  
I was just watching through it again in the background.  Paying attention when needed (Helllllllooooo, Alex)

Anyway, it did prove just how convoluted season 2 was.  Didn't care for it.

I remember season 3 vaguely, but not even sure I finished it, so going back through now.  

I'll give season 4 a shot.  I was just happenstance that I found that article trying to figure out if there was going to be a season 4.

eoMMan said:
I’d definitely like to see another season but not too excited about it taking place in the dark/night of the artic.
Damn, was really hoping for a season more focused on the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.

Looking forward to season 4 but have tempered my expectations. I've watched Season 1 at least 3 or 4 times and even knowing what's going to happen I still thoroughly enjoy it (pretty rare for a mystery type show). I realize no series is ever likely to accomplish what it did in 8 episodes and having McConahey and Harrelson team up was like catching lightning in a bottle.
Season 3 was above average but no plans to rewatch. Oddly enough, I still haven't seen Season 2 and have no plans to change that :shrug:

The Season 4 premier was last night. Have yet to check it due to football but plan to soon. Anyone see it?

Looking forward to season 4 but have tempered my expectations. I've watched Season 1 at least 3 or 4 times and even knowing what's going to happen I still thoroughly enjoy it (pretty rare for a mystery type show). I realize no series is ever likely to accomplish what it did in 8 episodes and having McConahey and Harrelson team up was like catching lightning in a bottle.
Season 3 was above average but no plans to rewatch. Oddly enough, I still haven't seen Season 2 and have no plans to change that :shrug:
I was one of the few people who actually liked Season 2. It had it's flaws but I think the biggest problem it faced was the gigantic expectations S1 created. That and Vince Vaughan is horribly miscast.

I watched it last night and I'm going to stay with it but I have a little, small concern. Is this show going to now deviate to the supernatural? I really hope not. What made the first season so incredible is that it might have stretched the realm of believability but it didn't invent some sort of sci-fi gimmick to incorporate into the plot. It was gnarly and gross but it didn't need magic or ghosts or the like.

Season 2, didn't bother.

Season 3, it dabbled there with the ghosts of characters but it could have been explained away by dementia.

What I saw last night has me a little concerned that the show is about the dabble in the realm of make-believe and man....why cheapen a great series?

I watched it last night and I'm going to stay with it but I have a little, small concern. Is this show going to now deviate to the supernatural? I really hope not. What made the first season so incredible is that it might have stretched the realm of believability but it didn't invent some sort of sci-fi gimmick to incorporate into the plot. It was gnarly and gross but it didn't need magic or ghosts or the like.

Season 2, didn't bother.

Season 3, it dabbled there with the ghosts of characters but it could have been explained away by dementia.

What I saw last night has me a little concerned that the show is about the dabble in the realm of make-believe and man....why cheapen a great series?
I, too, watched it last night :tinfoilhat:and had the same exact thought.

But that said, F it, I'm in. :lol: I'm intrigued. Big fan of Jodie Foster, so I'll likely finish it out no matter what. Hoping they don't turn this into X-Files though.

Season 2, didn't bother.

I, too, watched it last night :tinfoilhat:and had the same exact thought.

But that said, F it, I'm in. :lol: I'm intrigued. Big fan of Jodie Foster, so I'll likely finish it out no matter what. Hoping they don't turn this into X-Files though.

Yeah, I'm hooked after one, but I just don't want this series to move into Stranger Things or like you said, Xfiles. No need.

I got Dyatlov Pass vibes... still unexplained...

KGB most likely. What it most certainly was not was ghosts, goblins, monsters, spirits, boogeyman, the devil, dragons, witches or aliens. My sincere hope is that S4 doesn't lean that way. It'll cheapen a great franchise for me. The way Stephen King using "God" as his bailout card in so many of his books.

Season 2, didn't bother.

Oh, it's going there, brother. But I thought the teases of the supernatural was one of the things that made season 1 so good. Time for a rewatch.

Season 2, didn't bother.

Oh, it's going there, brother. But I thought the teases of the supernatural was one of the things that made season 1 so good. Time for a rewatch.

The acting will keep me around. Just no need for monsters or God or whatever. Graze me with dat

I am only halfway through EP1 - but I am going to go with some sort of ancient virus that has thawed from one of their ice cores/samples caused them to go crazy, and flee into to darkness, where they end up dead from hypothermia.

Either that, or aliens.

I am only halfway through EP1 - but I am going to go with some sort of ancient virus that has thawed from one of their ice cores/samples caused them to go crazy, and flee into to darkness, where they end up dead from hypothermia.

Either that, or aliens.

If it's aliens then what the hell are True Detectives going to do? This series is about solving hideous crimes and justice. Gonna go out and arrest an alien?

Reactions: Zow

Either that, or aliens.

If it's aliens then what the hell are True Detectives going to do? This series is about solving hideous crimes and justice. Gonna go out and arrest an alien?
Very alien rapey

Either that, or aliens.

End of EP1 now - still going with an ancient virus causing them to go crazy. But, weird that its not affecting anyone else who entered the building.

Investigation will be around the new and old cold case, that ties to at least one of the people who disappeared. Maybe she was killed for exposing some work they were doing - and it comes full circle if the work they were doing ended up killing them.

And we all know time is a flat circle...

Yeah, I really dug Ep1 too. I guess I wasn't that attached to S1 like many others, so I DGAF if they go the way of X-Files or get supernatural. I just want quality TV however it comes at me.

Users who are viewing this thread