What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

True Detective: Tom went in to listen to the Cardinals game...in November. Mmmmmhmmmm... (1 Viewer)

I stopped watching after 3 episodes also and just read the recap of finale. Did they ever explain any of the supernatural nonsense going on like the orange getting thrown back or the lone survivor saying demonic things in the hospital before dying?

I stopped watching after 3 episodes also and just read the recap of finale. Did they ever explain any of the supernatural nonsense going on like the orange getting thrown back or the lone survivor saying demonic things in the hospital before dying?

After wasting an entire season telling us to ask the right question, Danvers says in the finale that "some questions just don't have answers" :ROFLMAO:

Not really. They just hit that the town is weird and people are connected to other planes of existence in that godforsaken place.

The orange fell out of the fridge later so I guess it was a premonition?

That's what she says when she doesn't want to get busted for doing obvious illegal stuff.

After telling us the entire season to ask the right question, Danvers tells us in the finale that "some questions just don't have answers" :ROFLMAO:

I'm in the minority; but I thought it was pretty good. It's pretty unfair to compare it to S1; as that was one of the greatest single TV seasons maybe of all time; but as it was...it kept my interest.

I feel like the supernatural aspects don't really need to be explained as there weren't any "group" moments. Each person deals with grief, the remote location and the long night in their own way. That's fine by me.

Yeah, finished up about as terrible as expected.

Hilarious that they snuck in "Time is a Flat circle" as some sort of pathetic final attempt to connect this trash to S1.

Bad writing, tons of time wasted on unnecessary sub-plots. Dumb ending. Just bad TV.

That being said....Pizzloatto should probably just take the high road and stop publicly trashing it. I get that technically its "your show" but nothing they do will change anyone's thoughts on S1 (which was obviously a masterpiece). Dude is a total one hit wonder who should probably focus on his own failures instead of the failures of others
Yep. I mean he's basically the RGIII of television writing.

I'm in the minority; but I thought it was pretty good. It's pretty unfair to compare it to S1; as that was one of the greatest single TV seasons maybe of all time; but as it was...it kept my interest.

I feel like the supernatural aspects don't really need to be explained as there weren't any "group" moments. Each person deals with grief, the remote location and the long night in their own way. That's fine by me.
I disagree. They gave it the True Detective label. Accordingly, it's natural to compare it to this benchmark. I frankly wish this was a standalone series and I may have enjoyed it more.

Basically visions that Navarro had. Probably just in her mind. She hinted that this was a curse she and her sister inherited from her mother.

Was this a great series? No, but I still found it watchable.

What I don't understand are people griping about story lines that "didn't go anywhere". It's part of character building and in some aspects was more interesting than the case. I'm sure there are plenty of NCIS episodes out that might be better suited for your tastes.

Basically visions that Navarro had. Probably just in her mind. She hinted that this was a curse she and her sister inherited from her mother.
My beef is when these types of stories try to make you think it's monsters all season just to end up explaining it away with some other BS.

Either go with monsters or don't.

If I want to watch Scooby Doo, I'll watch the original.

The Dude - But what about the tongue?!

Walter - FORGET ABOUT THE ******* TONGUE!!
Isn’t the tongue what linked the cases together?

ASK THE RIGHT QUESTION!!!...... It's "Who left the tongue?"

1. It was the cleaning ladies; knowing that this would put into motion the reopening of the Annie case?
2. It was a distraught Clark......giving himself up?
3. Was it Sedna,,,,the spirit making things right?

My beef is when these types of stories try to make you think it's monsters all season just to end up explaining it away with some other BS.

Monsters? What show were you watching?

1. It was the cleaning ladies; knowing that this would put into motion the reopening of the Annie case?
Cleaning lady denied knowing anything about it.

Thing was bagged and tagged. Forensics confirmed it was Annie’s. Someone cut it out of her. Preserved it. Then left it at Tsalal while the Muderous Moppers rounded up the scientists.

Danvers looked at the spot again where it had been left and there was a shiny residue there.

What does it mean?!

Navarro mentioned to Danvers how her mom used to peel oranges. I think the oranges were a symbol of her mother and a connection with her spirit.

Well, there is at least some suggestion that some supernatural creature did this (the weird video, the tongue, the sheer terror on the dead men's faces, etc.). I assume that's what he's referring to.

Well, there is at least some suggestion that some supernatural creature did this (the weird video, the tongue, the sheer terror on the dead men's faces, etc.). I assume that's what he's referring to.
Yes, they played it up for 5 episodes that it was some supernatural force. Turns out it was Broomhilda.

This season was very disappointing to me especially because Jodie Foster was involved. She, and most of the others, did great with what they were given but the plot ended up being a dud with a thud. I felt gypped after the interesting setup from episode one.

Honestly, if you want to see how this season could have gone I suggest watching Deadloch on prime. Similar style setting and close premise but the writing and continuity were soo much better, made for an enjoyable watch.

Cleaning lady denied knowing anything about it.

Thing was bagged and tagged. Forensics confirmed it was Annie’s. Someone cut it out of her. Preserved it. Then left it at Tsalal while the Muderous Moppers rounded up the scientists.

Danvers looked at the spot again where it had been left and there was a shiny residue there.

What does it mean?!

The argument for the cleaning lady being involved was the idea that a couple of times in the show (Danvers/Navarro murdering Wheeler and Clark's denial of not harming Annie)....someone lies. Hank cut the tongue out when he dropped the body; left the tongue; the community or a Member Of The Murderous Moppers found the body and kept the tongue until the opportunity presented itself.

you gotta admit it would be pretty cool if there were monsters in it like maybe a demon or a steve mcqueen type vampire those guys are always cool take that to the bank shukemigo

My apologies if this comes across as a drive-by, but this show is a good example of why I almost never start new shows anymore. Why make the investment if the ending is just going to suck?

Like everybody else, I do make the occasional exception to the "no new shows" rule. I watched the first season of House of the Dragon after it good reviews, so I'm invested in that series now. I'm sure my wife and I will watch S3 of White Lotus when that comes out. But Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead made me swear off watching anything that gets released weekly until it's over and I know it's not going to go sideways.

Edit: Dammit.

Last edited:
My apologies if this comes across as a drive-by, but this show is a good example of why I almost never start new shoes anymore. Why make the investment if the ending is just going to suck?

Like everybody else, I do make the occasional exception to the "no new shows" rule. I watched the first season of House of the Dragon after it good reviews, so I'm invested in that series now. I'm sure my wife and I will watch S3 of White Lotus when that comes out. But Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead made me swear off watching anything that gets released weekly until it's over and I know it's not going to go sideways.
i fail to see how this show should impact your footwear but hey everyone has their own things take that to the bank bromigo

i assume it has to be clark.
as he's telling the story that the others killed her and he had nothing to do with it, in the video u see that it was ultimately him who killed her by suffocating her with his shirt. That scene where Rose and Peter are sitting on the ice and she says what come rest of your life [after killing someone] is the worst part, I believe is tying things back to Clark and his inner demons after killing his supposed love. he for some reason kept the tongue in one of those jars they showed in ep.1 and that i believe is the tie back to the stain Danvers saw on the floor in ep.6.

Sounds like True Detective is probably dead now. As great as S1 was, I think this pretty much kills any cache the name had with audiences.
Renewed for another season with same creator as this season:

The show was well liked among enough people to carry on the name. I was fine with the season myself. The ending was a bit of a letdown but I’ve resigned myself to the fact that it’s difficult for most series’ to stick the landing in a way that is satisfactory to everyone.

I could nitpick about things, sure, but I don’t understand the thought process amongst some viewers that the only shows worth anyones time have to be considered masterpieces. How many of those are there in the entire history of television? It’s either the most amazing thing you’ve ever seen or garbage. It’s 6 episodes of your time. Nothing groundbreaking. Was worth the watch. My unprofessional review.

Sounds like True Detective is probably dead now. As great as S1 was, I think this pretty much kills any cache the name had with audiences.

The show was well liked among enough people to carry on the name. I was fine with the season myself. The ending was a bit of a letdown but I’ve resigned myself to the fact that it’s difficult for most series’ to stick the landing in a way that is satisfactory to everyone.

I could nitpick about things, sure, but I don’t understand the thought process amongst some viewers that the only shows worth anyones time have to be considered masterpieces. How many of those are there in the entire history of television? It’s either the most amazing thing you’ve ever seen or garbage. It’s 6 episodes of your time. Nothing groundbreaking. Was worth the watch. My unprofessional review.

It doesn't have to always be a masterpiece. True Detective 3 was FAR from a masterpiece, but it was light years ahead of this steaming pile of giraffe manure. I lost access to HBO so I won't ever watch episodes 5 or 6 to TD 4 but if you thought the ending was the only letdown, buddy.....we weren't watching the same show.

I can't believe this director is getting another shot. She should be directing used car commercials.

When you think about it - this creator has hit the lottery.

It sounds like her original premise for a standalone series probably bombed with the HBO execs.

They tell her to throw in some weird stuff, and a few call backs to True Detective S1.

She now keeps her show AND gets a sequel, when she was probably getting axed originally.

It doesn't have to always be a masterpiece. True Detective 3 was FAR from a masterpiece, but it was light years ahead of this steaming pile of giraffe manure. I lost access to HBO so I won't ever watch episodes 5 or 6 to TD 4 but if you thought the ending was the only letdown, buddy.....we weren't watching the same show.

I can't believe this director is getting another shot. She should be directing used car commercials.
So another one for the garbage heap. Point proven or do you have reviews of season 3 on here? I don’t want to go back and look. Just seems like the majority of people who loved season 1 have become more and more volatile with every passing season.

So another one for the garbage heap. Point proven or do you have reviews of season 3 on here? I don’t want to go back and look. Just seems like the majority of people who loved season 1 have become more and more volatile with every passing season.

I thought Season 3 was fine. The acting was really good and the plot was akin to Season 1 with some mystery that you definitely wanted solved. I wouldn't have liked leaving Season 3 with 2 episodes left.

I don't care if I never see the last two episodes of Season 4. It was comically bad for me. The acting was not good and it pains me to say that because I like Jodi Foster but this was a waste of her talent.

They didn't let the director of Ishtar make another movie. Elaine May should have directed True Detective 4....she'd still have a job.
The hype and expectations flattened that movie, but not a bad flick if you are flipping through channels and come across it.

That time period was a tough reckoning for actors of that generation. Beatty/Hoffman/Nicholson/Redford/Voight were all pushing 50. Teen movies and Stallone/Schwarzenegger action movies were the rage. Cruise and Hanks were the new leading men.

Beatty and Hoffman took a chance on Ishtar for the same reason Nicholson took a chance on the Joker--to reinvigorate their careers. Nicholson hit a homerun, Beatty and Hoffman struck out.

They didn't let the director of Ishtar make another movie. Elaine May should have directed True Detective 4....she'd still have a job.
The hype and expectations flattened that movie, but not a bad flick if you are flipping through channels and come across it.

That time period was a tough reckoning for actors of that generation. Beatty/Hoffman/Nicholson/Redford/Voight were all pushing 50. Teen movies and Stallone/Schwarzenegger action movies were the rage. Cruise and Hanks were the new leading men.

Beatty and Hoffman took a chance on Ishtar for the same reason Nicholson took a chance on the Joker--to reinvigorate their careers. Nicholson hit a homerun, Beatty and Hoffman struck out.

And the director never directed another film. That was my point.

Very watchable especially at 6 episodes.

Not sure i enjoyed the callbacks to season 1. Especially to the Cohle (sp) family - the Tuttle stuff was unnecessary.

Most watched season which gives the impression that it's a good show

Jodi Foster and that boxer who played Navarro were both excellent, I thought. They pulled it together in the end and didn't make it a supernatural thriller. I agree the ties to S1 were totally pasted on. Frankly this would have worked better without them. But overall not the unwatchable dumpster fire like some of those movies you've walked out on thread mentions.

I do think it's weird that everyone seems to have latched on to "Time is a Flat Circle" like it's some deep truth from S1, when it was literally a line by a psycho, repeated by a broken phlosopher/cop, who was ultimately redeemed in the end. The line is a deep untruth that was trite enough that reviewer fans of the series totally mischaracterize.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread