What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump poised to end DACA as early as Friday (1 Viewer)

I've greatly reduced my political postings here, on other boards, and on social media in recent months because I've come to realize I must be living in a bizarro world bubble. I understand why folks in their 50s-60s may have some lingering memories of Republican competence and perhaps had a great run in the 80s under Ronnie that cloud their views.  But for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone under age 45 who pays any attention to current events can identify with the Republican Party.  They've come of age under 8 years of Clinton, 8 years of GWBush, 8 years of Obama, and now ~ 1 year of Trump. There is NO EXCUSE, unless you're not paying attention, a racist, or just plain dumb, to support the GOP these days.

I'm probably being childish and emotional, but DACA is a real breaking point for me. I'm going to lose friends in real life over this and they can go #### themselves. You can't be a good person and support this crap.   

Last edited by a moderator:
the republican party is not republicans any more we have witnessed a shift where it is now controlled by nativists xeonophobes bigots racists and russian sympathizers and im not joking for a change take that to the bank brohans 
I respect your opinion, but I think it's just the opposite. These are Republicans, and they're worse than we ever thought they were. #### them.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Houston decimated by a hurricane and a bigger one headed for Florida.  Need to raise the debt ceiling and pass a budget. Oh yeah, that little nuclear war threat.  So this is what he leads with.  To hell with them all.
Houston, decimated by a hurricane and also 37% Hispanic/Latino.  I'm sure this is just what that community needs.

"The thousands of jobs that these illegals took from law abiding American citizens"     :lol:         I can't wait to see all these hillbilly rednecks picking fruit, roofing houses, landscaping, painting, drywall, and all the other jobs that Americans have been lining up to get.    Get back across the boarder illegals, and let my fellow Americans get back to work.   

Head of lettuce will cost around 10 bucks next year. 

"The thousands of jobs that these illegals took from law abiding American citizens"     :lol:         I can't wait to see all these hillbilly rednecks picking fruit, roofing houses, landscaping, painting, drywall, and all the other jobs that Americans have been lining up to get.    Get back across the boarder illegals, and let my fellow Americans get back to work.   

I don't think Trump's base eats things that are green.

the republican party is not republicans any more we have witnessed a shift where it is now controlled by nativists xeonophobes bigots racists and russian sympathizers and im not joking for a change take that to the bank brohans 
:goodposting:   Hijacked by a bunch of bat#### crazy lunatics.

Huckabee blaming the timeline of today's announcement and 6-month deadline for Congress on the state attorney generals ready to sue over DACA.

Also said the most heartless thing that happened today was Nancy Pelosi using today's DACA announcement to trigger fundraising while Trump is trying to fix the problem.  Said if people like Pelosi has spent more time doing their jobs and less time fundraising, we wouldn't be in this position today with DACA. 

Also hinted a deal is in play to tie DACA preservation to border wall funding.

He's really not
It's not the actual DACA kids and young adults, it's the others that come with them.  Their disgusting families are who is really destroying America.  HTP must be personally affected by some of these folks.

Luis‏ @relixs_ Sep 3

I am a DACA recipient, this is my life on the line.

I know nothing else but Texas.

I have nothing else anywhere.

#DefendDACA

100% anecdotal but I drive by the fields almost every single damn day.  I don't think I've ever seen a "white American" worker out there picking crops.  And I sure as hell have never seen any there standing dejectedly because they were denied a job.

:goodposting:   Hijacked by a bunch of bat#### crazy lunatics.
I would say "exposed" more than hijacked.  If you keep blowing dog whistles you don't get to act surprised when a bunch of dogs respond accordingly.
Our scope for analysis is different I suspect.  I'm going back over my lifetime.  These "dog whistles" are relatively new.  There's been a significant shift over the last 10-15 years.  Prior to that they weren't any more/less sane than the democrats.  They just disagreed with each other on HOW to do things.  The turnover seems pretty obvious to me, but maybe not everybody?

100% anecdotal but I drive by the fields almost every single damn day.  I don't think I've ever seen a "white American" worker out there picking crops.  And I sure as hell have never seen any there standing dejectedly because they were denied a job.
The DACA beneficiaries aren't doing those jobs.  They are earning on average, just over $40K per year.

Oh and why doesn't the fact there are 6 million jobs available in this country get any attention???

Yes.  

65.8 MM voted for preserving DACA.
62.9 MM voted for letting children of immigrants pound sand.

BY almost a 3 million vote margin, the people voted for keeping DACA in place.

Meh.  

The People's Republic of California can keep them and pay for them.  The rest of us want our borders secured.  

A recap of conditions to qualify for DACA, which some people (see HellToupee) appear to have misconceptions about:

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/05/546423550/trump-signals-end-to-daca-calls-on-congress-to-act

[...]

DACA allowed individuals who were brought to the U.S. as children or teens before mid-2007 to apply for protection from deportation and work permits if they met certain requirements. Beneficiaries had to be under the age of 16 upon entering the country; no older than 31 as of June 15, 2012; lived continuously in the U.S. since mid-2007; be enrolled in high school or college, already have a diploma or degree, have a GED certificate or be an honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. military; and have no felony criminal convictions, significant misdemeanor convictions, no more than three other misdemeanor convictions or otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

The program did not provide lawful immigration status. Instead, through what the Obama administration characterized as the exercise of prosecutorial discretion, it granted a deferral from possibly being removed from the U.S. to those who qualified; it also granted work permits. The deferrals and permits were granted for two-year periods and could be renewed for additional two-year periods.

[...]

Meh.  

The People's Republic of California can keep them and pay for them.  The rest of us want our borders secured.  
Just to be clear, if we secured our borders that would keep these people in.  These are people that have lived basically their entire lives here.

Keep in mind this is a group with an average age around 25-26, none of them are criminals, and if they are caught committing a crime or spend too much time out of work they will most likely get booted from DACA and deported.  So it's pretty safe to say this group's median income (and taxes paid on that income) will escalate quickly if we let them stay.  

There's also a significant percentage of this group in postgraduate education, and this group is disproportionately high at starting their own businesses compared to the general population.  So this a group of job-creators as well.

ETA: thanks so much for posting that link.  All of those slides are really good.

And thanks to everyone else who has been quick to post facts about DACA and helping people get informed about what DACA is and isn't.  It's not obvious from the name what the scope of the program is and who it effects. 

I've greatly reduced my political postings here, on other boards, and on social media in recent months because I've come to realize I must be living in a bizarro world bubble. I understand why folks in their 50s-60s may have some lingering memories of Republican competence and perhaps had a great run in the 80s under Ronnie that cloud their views.  But for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone under age 45 who pays any attention to current events can identify with the Republican Party.  They've come of age under 8 years of Clinton, 8 years of GWBush, 8 years of Obama, and now ~ 1 year of Trump. There is NO EXCUSE, unless you're not paying attention, a racist, or just plain dumb, to support the GOP these days.

I'm probably being childish and emotional, but DACA is a real breaking point for me. I'm going to lose friends in real life over this and they can go #### themselves. You can't be a good person and support this crap.   
tommy,

I felt the same way over 20 years ago when Prop 187 passed. Remember that? I couldn't believe the cruelty and the foolishness. Kick all undocumented kids out of school. So stupid and mean.

But calm down. Take a deep breath and be patient. Most of these folks are not bigots, not really. They're scared of the changes they see in our society, and they haven't thought this through. In time they'll come around. In the meantime, we'll fight them the best we can.

Not singling you out on this, but just wanted to note something about this common refrain/joke. 

I am a board member for a nonprofit in Arizona that helps DACA applicants, among other things like voter registration and holding Know Your Rights campaigns. A lot of the DACA kids/adults I know aren't fruit pickers and day laborers. They hold advanced degrees, work in tech, teach, etc. 

That said, I'd like to see the hayseeds you mention also earn a Masters and get a high profile marketing gig like one of our newest volunteers did. 

Our scope for analysis is different I suspect.  I'm going back over my lifetime.  These "dog whistles" are relatively new.  There's been a significant shift over the last 10-15 years.  Prior to that they weren't any more/less sane than the democrats.  They just disagreed with each other on HOW to do things.  The turnover seems pretty obvious to me, but maybe not everybody?
We're making progress folks.  Commish seems to be at least hinting at the possibility that he's moving on from his "both sides do it equally" shtick.

and another thing, where the hell was Obama during Katrina?  amirite?
No Bush was President during Katrina. Obama was the President that did nothing when the Gulf of Mexico became an oil slick, because he could care less about red state beaches   

Know your history.  

Willie Horton was 1988. Ronald Reagan kicking off his general election campaign in Philadelphia, Mississippi was 1980. 

The dog whistles are not relatively new, they're just at a slightly different pitch.

I agree with you that there's been a turnover, which I'd date to 2010.  But like I said I think it's pretty easy to connect the dots.

tommy,

I felt the same way over 20 years ago when Prop 187 passed. Remember that? I couldn't believe the cruelty and the foolishness. Kick all undocumented kids out of school. So stupid and mean.

But calm down. Take a deep breath and be patient. Most of these folks are not bigots, not really. They're scared of the changes they see in our society, and they haven't thought this through. In time they'll come around. In the meantime, we'll fight them the best we can.
Disagree

tommy,

Why are they scared?  What kind of bull #### excuse is this?

I'm struggling to understand how this is anything other than pure racism.  This is the group of people we want in this country, and should be the last ones facing this type of "reform"

I'm all for immigration reform, and I do think it is a legit problem, but it's a lot more complex than just deporting them all.  DACA seems like a wonderful program and if the Trump supporters have read any of the statistics they would realize this needs to be a part of the solution.

Didn't we already vote on this issue last November?   

Yes.  

65.8 MM voted for preserving DACA.
62.9 MM voted for letting children of immigrants pound sand.

BY almost a 3 million vote margin, the people voted for keeping DACA in place.

And a few million people (at least) have likely moved since then... even Republican support for Trump has decreased.  The growing independents/non affiliated numbers have moved further (in part due to defections from the Republican's and a brand now associated with / aligned with the alt-right, racist white nationalism etc, more so than ever).

I guess a few people learned that when those of us who knew who and what Trump was before he was elected said he was an impulsive, not intelligent nor sharp nor a great negotiator and a failed businessman rather than beacon of capitalist success, we weren't kidding.

Oh, a lot of folks also realized that the shameful behavior Trump showed wouldn't be 'toned down' but is who he is... a vulgar thin skinned bully with misogynistic and narcissistic tendencies. Oh, and the racism and alignment with alt-right white nationals thing.

Yeah, that 3 million vote deficit that Trump got was his absolute high point.

Why are they scared?  What kind of bull #### excuse is this?
Not an excuse. I'm trying to be generous. I don't believe that most people who act in a bigoted way, or say bigoted things, are full time bigots. When they've had time to think about it, they usually do the right thing.

Right now polls suggest that about 80% of Americans support DACA. Some of these are Trump fans who also love everything their guy does. So I don't believe they've thought this through.

Users who are viewing this thread