What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Two Lawyers And Some Molotov Cocktails - Mods Pls Move To PSF Or Lock or Delete (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/lawyers-arrested-molotov-cocktail-nyc-protest.html

It was the fall of 2014 when Rahman and Mattis became friends, in the wake of Michael Brown and Eric Garner’s deaths, the year after the birth of Black Lives Matter. Rizvi had gotten close to Rahman that summer when they traveled together on a law-student fellowship to Israel and Palestine. Most law students start looking for jobs between their second and third years, and an alignment with Palestinian human rights could have been regarded by some as a career-risking move. Upon arriving in Israel, Rahman was stopped and questioned at Ben-Gurion International Airport for more than four hours; already, she was steeped in the language of social justice and racial politics, friends say. All summer long, as race-related anti-police uprisings spread across the U.S. and the Israeli military bombed homes in Gaza, the parallels between the American Black struggle and Palestinian oppression were a topic of conversation among the fellows (excitedly sharing rumors, for instance, that tear-gas canisters used in Ferguson are the same as those used on the Palestinians in the West Bank), and they used the word apartheid to describe the conditions they saw there and at home. Rahman was “very vocal,” one person says; at home, she was already studying discrimination by the NYPD in Arab and South Asian communities. She marched in Haifa in July with Palestinians against Israeli forces, and, upon returning home, wrote an essay decrying Israeli-military violence. “IDF soldiers provoke violence using tear gas, stun grenades, rubber-coated steel bullets, and often, live ammunition at civilians exercising their free speech,” she wrote. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.

About 20 people attended the meeting, the purpose of which was to share information. Rahman didn’t say much, which was typical for her at work. The job at Bronx Legal Services is grinding — many of the clients live in extreme poverty and chaos, processes are sticky, and judges and plaintiffs’ attorneys can be petty, racist, sexist, and mean — but Rahman was always “very chill, very easygoing,” says the same co-worker, a collaborative colleague, compassionate and diligent with her clients and levelheaded in court, willing to engage with the small-bore, unglamorous work of advocating for the vulnerable within the frustrating constraints of the law. Unlike the earnest, paternalistic types who might have previously chosen Legal Aid as a career, the youngest lawyers at Bronx Legal Services have a radical strain — some wear tattoos reading RENT IS THEFT — but Rahman never seemed to be part of that. 
Curious about this racism in NY.  I've never seen any racist acts or met any racist attorneys or judges here in the NC.  @Otis or any other NY lawyers, can you comment on this racism in the NY courts?

I'd share my opinion of the legal service lawyers but it would get me banned.  We had received a HOA violation notice for one of our properties because the tenant were parking in the front lawn in a development (detached garages in back of these homes).  We sent a notice telling them they were in violation of the HOA rules and to either park in the street, driveway, or garage.  The tenants complained that the the neighbors were parking in front of there home (public street) and they needed to be close as possible due to health issues.  We were in the process of eviction as they were there months behind on rent and they were represented by legal aid.  Sometime thereafter I received a Fair Housing Notice of Violation.  Apparently since they were sick, I was denying them reasonable accommodation by not allowing them to park in the front yard.   :lmao:   Interesting enough, at the time I received this complaint, I was 2-3 weeks into the process of working with the town to get a handicapped spot marked on the street in front of their home to assist these tenants by essentially reserving a spot for them.  After a couple of months the state admitted the accusation looked to be retaliatory and that I was in the clear of any wrong doing.  The state agreed to dismiss the case if my whole office took their Fair Housing class.  :lmao:   Not sure what happened with that as i called the guy who was supposed to come in and teach the class a couple of times, but never got a call back.  I'm reasonably sure that whole situation was initiate by the legal aid scum representing them.

Whoops. Mods pls move to the political forum. That's where this should be. Sorry BassNBrew.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread