What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U of Tennessee WR Justin Hunter (1 Viewer)

If we're making comparisons after one play, I'll bite. I can see the A.J Green comparison, but that's a little premature. I see a Pittsburgh Steelers Plaxico Burress and after a few seasons and more muscle you'll see a NYG Plaxico Burress.

Good size, decent speed, good body control and concentration..

Career Floor: Jerome Simpson

Career Ceiling: Plaxico Burress

Edit to add: Just watched the youtube college compilation. Yep, I see a young Plaxico.
This is a good comparison. And it did take Plaxico a couple of years to fully mature and become a dominant player who knew how to take advantage of his physical advantage.
I'm as big a fan as Justin Hunter as there is around here, but the Burress comp isn't a good one. Burress was 6'6" 231lbs coming out of college. Hunter is 6'4" 196. Comps to Sidney Rice (6'4" 200), AJ Green (6'4" 211) and Randy Moss (6'4" 197) are much closer from a physical standpoint anyway.
I suppose it's really easy to compare a 6'4 guy to every other 6'4 guy lol, but I'm just talking about his skill set. He's not showing me a stretch the field skill set, rather a solid possession guy. Plaxico was 230+ out of college but played like he was 180. His body type isn't a carbon copy of Plax but they look mirrored in the skill set IMO
You got this from his single NFL catch, a 34 yard TD?

Because it certainly didn't come from his college tape.

watching cowboys/chargers...

washington and wright had most receptions last week...

damian willams had most receptions in first half, I think.

with two TDs on his first two catches, it will be interesting to see what he could do in an expanded role...

Locker actually playing pretty well is the main surprise to me. It really helps having a good offensive line that can make the QB feel comfortable. The defense has to respect the run because it was working so well early on in the season when almost all other teams running games were getting stuffed.

Locker actually playing pretty well is the main surprise to me. It really helps having a good offensive line that can make the QB feel comfortable. The defense has to respect the run because it was working so well early on in the season when almost all other teams running games were getting stuffed.
Done for the season, though. Wow.

Who can leap backward and let their body fall that far without reach to the ground to break your fall? That was quite a catch long after he first left the ground.

sounds like locker not necessarily done for season...

reportedly hip not dislocated...

that was a great play on the ball, and a great throw by locker where only hunter could get it...

on the highlight angle I saw, it almost looked like the ball shifted when it hit the ground and could have been challenged?

Justin Hunter has been dominant in fantasy leagues that only award points for plays that occur in the final 30 seconds of a half. </joke>

Watching the highlight, Locker threw it and he was totally blanketed at that moment. There was zero reason to think he'd be open, but instead total confidence in Hunter's ability to go get it. If it comes on, pause your TV when Locker releases it.

Damian played wonderfully on two drives and was extremely impressive against Cromartie. The Titans offense was horrible in the second half and punted every possession except one sorely underthrown bomb. There's about nothing to go on in the second half in evaluating their team. Fitz threw so many in the dirt, does it matter if the WRs were open and ready to make a 3rd down play? Going on the first half....

When Damian was doing well, Locker was locked in on him and it was borderline dominant in the sense that we knew it was coming and he got it anyway. Wright and Nate were brutal then like good luck keeping up with us if you're going to focus on Damian. Delanie even looked special then. It all totally fell into place for their passing game, fans even got what they've been clamoring for and CJ got a screen with some open space for once.

I've appreciated Damian's awesome attitude in quotes shared and that he seems to be the only one catching it when everyone else drops em' in previous seasons, but he's no Andre Johnson clone or anywhere close. I don't know that Damian can do that next week. However, it showed what an enormous impact a guy like Britt or Hunter could have if they could be that guy. Unlike Damian, they have the physical gifts to pull of a Fitz or Andre or Calvin type impersonation where they are no doubt the WR1 on their team.

It's well worth watching if you have the time to catch the game's replay. They've created the perfect role for Hunter to step into. You might be used to it playing FF, but the Titans have never had that type of WR1. Their best WRs have been speed or clinician types.

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter caught two passes for 51 yards in the Titans' Week 10 loss to the Jaguars.
Hunter is stepping into Tennessee's No. 3 receiver role, and benefited in terms of playing time Sunday after Damian Williams exited with an early quad injury. Hunter has definite big-play tools, drawing some A.J. Green comparisons coming out of the University of Tennessee. He's increasingly on the radar in 14- and 16-team fantasy leagues.

Seven targets yesterday. Fitzpatrick doesn't have a cannon but he's never been shy about slinging it around. Is there a breakout just around the corner here?

Seven targets yesterday. Fitzpatrick doesn't have a cannon but he's never been shy about slinging it around. Is there a breakout just around the corner here?
I like what I am seeing so far. Britt seems to be completely out of the offense. Hunter is getting a chance finally.

2 catches with 7 targets....drops or not catch-able?
Shows good hands and concentration on this catch:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000279158/Justin-Hunter-40-yard-reception

Based on this website that tracks statistics, he doesn't have any drops in 2013.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

Here is an analysis of the Titans WR play in the week 10 game vs Jaguars:

"One of only a handful of bright spots on the day was Kendall Wright, who continues to blossom. He has proven he can make some tough catches and is a weapon in open space. That aside, the team has needed to expand on his role down the field, and they have not done that. Wright could be so much more than drag routes, screens, and a couple of slants. So far, there's no way to know. Nate Washington looked to be getting going in the 2nd quarter, but had only a so-so day despite a couple of nice grabs. Justin Hunter proved yet again that he should be getting used more often. He hauled in a couple of third down passes and notched an impressive 40 yarder that showcased his athleticism and range. He is yet another example of the ineptitude of this coaching staff. At this point, Hunter should be fully integrated into the offense. It was a waste to trade up for him and have him sit the bench most of the day. It's baffling."

No discussion about why he only caught two of his 7 targets: http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2013/11/11/5090604/titans-jaguars-a-review-oh-boy

Last edited by a moderator:
Titans have to play Hunter more and more as the season closes.

Nate Washington is "always" a possible offseason drop and he's due about 5 mil. His production has gone way down since early on.

Damian, Mariani, and Britt are all free agents.

It's very likely they only have Hunter and Wright next year; from this squad.

On the field for 54 snaps (74%) targeted 7 times in week 10. That is a huge jump in playing time for him. Fitzpatrick does not have the best deep ball. But the added playing time is certainly encouraging. One of these games he's gonna bust out.

I just snagged him off the wire today in my 10 team 2QB league. I had to cut Nate Burleson so it might cost me some points in the immediate future but Hunter does have some future upside.

Am I crazy to consider starting this guy tonight over a safer play like Clay or D. Baldwin? Just seems like Fitz could lock onto him and start winging it like he likes to do.

Of course, if Indy struggles to put up points against the TEN D, it's possible TEN will just run the ball a lot.

Am I crazy to consider starting this guy tonight over a safer play like Clay or D. Baldwin? Just seems like Fitz could lock onto him and start winging it like he likes to do.

Of course, if Indy struggles to put up points against the TEN D, it's possible TEN will just run the ball a lot.
yeah, I'm in a similar spot with baldwin -- a little leery because of harvin, but you have that terrible minny coverage

I think toler is still out, so indy will be rolling out vaughn across from davis

yeah, I'm in a similar spot with baldwin -- a little leery because of harvin, but you have that terrible minny coverage
I know. I kinda want to get ballsy and hope tonight Hunter breaks out, but he'll probably go for 3 points or something. And then I'll watch Baldwin put up between 12-25 points.

Was just thinking I'd love to start him tonight over Marvin Jones or Shorts as my #3 in non-ppr, but I'm reaching.

I have zero confidence in Andy dalton against a Cleveland Defense coming off a bye so I'm considering hunter over Marvin jones in non-ppr

Anyone else in a similar boat? Other options are cordarelle Patterson against Seattle...

I think I may just take the plunge with Hunter and a full week to prepare with Fitz as his qb... If ur Indy I think u make Fitz have to beat you through the air... And I will take man coverage against hunter if munchak is smart enough to help him get a clean release ala Eric decker

Rotoworld:

Titans coach Mike Munchak confirmed WR Justin Hunter is dealing with concussion-like symptoms.
Hunter was injured in the fourth quarter of Thursday night's loss, and did not return. He could miss some practice time early next week, but is expected to be fine. Hunter will have 10 days to get cleared for Tennessee's Week 12 game against the Raiders.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Titans WR Justin Hunter (concussion) had not been cleared to practice as of Tuesday.

Hunter sustained his concussion in last Thursday's loss to the Colts. The second-round rookie has a total of seven catches for 122 yards with two touchdowns so far.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

Rotoworld:

Justin Hunter (concussion) is practicing Wednesday.

Hunter suffered a concussion in Thursday night's loss to the Colts, but has been cleared to resume practicing. Barring a setback, he's now on track to play in Week 12 against the Raiders.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

I am starting to feel like he will be the WR1A next year and Wright the WR1B. He has much better hands than I thought he had.

Users who are viewing this thread