What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (2 Viewers)

Just got back from Boston. Here are my quick, unorganized thoughts of the card:

- I have been to many sporting events in my life, and I have never seen so many crowd fights. One was pretty crazy in the floor seats. Luckily, many of them happened during several of the boring fights. The crowd was more interested in the crowd fights then the action in the ring, and rightfully so, IMO.

- I had seats next to many mma fighters, and it was nice to see how assessable they were to fans. Especially the younger fans. Gerald Harris was sitting in front of me, and he was a cool guy. Tried to get us to do the wave. Lots of WEC fighters next to us too. Bart Palaszewski, Scott Jorgenson (who was really cool with the fans), Leonard Garcia were a few I recognized. Mark Munoz and Jorge Rivera were a couple of the other UFC guys.

- Aside from the Nate Diaz-Marcus Davis fight, what a horrible card this turned out to be. Penn looked atrocious, the Maynard-Florian fight was terrible, but the absolute worse one was the Andre Winner- Nick Lentz fight. Wow. Just wow. It seemed like almost every fighter on this card wanted to be somewhere else.

- This sport needs a bad guy, and Nate Diaz realizes he has a great opportunity to be one. Never heard a fighter booed so loud, and he seems to love to play it up. And I really like Diaz as a fighter. Marcus Davis has heart, but it is time to hang them up, IMO. He took a beating. Crowd was pretty ticked at the ref for not realizing Davis was out cold. Pretty scary from my vantage point.

- Whoever handles the sound in the arena should be fired. What a disaster. I couldn't hear one interview, which was too bad. Really wanted to hear what Toney had to say after the fight. Crowd gave him a round of applause when Couture said he respected him, then when they gave the mike to Toney, the crowd would not stop booing. Annoying.

- Edgar is a ball of energy. And I know this sounds weird, but I still did not come away impressed despite him winning every round. Who is going to step up at lightweight? Could Jose Aldo sign with UFC? Just not impressed with the lightweight division.

- Honestly, it looked like Mario Miranda was just happy to be in the octagon. What a disgrace of a fight on his part.

- Shogun was outside the hotel when we got back there around 2:00 am. Taking pictures with people, joking around. Definitely not drunk, just genuinely seemed to be having a good time.
This is very unfortunate and probably the main reason I never plan on attending a UFC event live. A large percentage of fans are still ridiculous.

IMO, Dana White is stacking these PPV events too close together and diluting the product.

Not sure if it's a cash grab (likely), or White legitimately thinks these are solid cards -- but having James Toney in the co-main event is bull####.

Everyone knew this was a circus sideshow fight, and there was never any doubt that Couture was going to smoke him. Toney is punch drunk and looks like the Pillsbury Doughboy. It was disgraceful to have him included in one of the top two fights on the card.

Personally, I don't see many compelling fights in the next two PPVs either. I won't throw down anymore cash until the Lesnar/Vasquez card.

IMO, the UFC needs less quantity and more quality, or they are going to start losing fans. I'm already starting to lose interest in the sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris B. said:
Clayton Gray said:
Jeez, what a horrible night of fights. Lenz winning either of those first two round is what's wrong with MMA judging. Takedowns are SO overrated. Oh well. Penn zombied through for 25 minutes - horrible. Now we have to watch Gray Maynard lay on Edgar for five rounds. Florian couldn't beat me off his back - such a disappointment. Maia and Miranda should have hit the threadmill a little more. At least Lauzon and Diaz looked good.Big downer after the last two fantastic PPVs. Guess they all can't be great.
:unsure: I was suckered into this PPV by Penn (my favorite fighter). I should be more selective with what I chose to watch. This was definitely a Sopcast show.
Is he still your favorite fighter? He looked tired and lost out there last night.

Chris B. said:
Clayton Gray said:
Jeez, what a horrible night of fights. Lenz winning either of those first two round is what's wrong with MMA judging. Takedowns are SO overrated. Oh well. Penn zombied through for 25 minutes - horrible. Now we have to watch Gray Maynard lay on Edgar for five rounds. Florian couldn't beat me off his back - such a disappointment. Maia and Miranda should have hit the threadmill a little more. At least Lauzon and Diaz looked good.Big downer after the last two fantastic PPVs. Guess they all can't be great.
:) I was suckered into this PPV by Penn (my favorite fighter). I should be more selective with what I chose to watch. This was definitely a Sopcast show.
Is he still your favorite fighter? He looked tired and lost out there last night.
BJ is either nursing an injury or is not training properly. He said earlier in the week he was at 90%, for a guy as cocky as BJ, 90% has got to be closer to 60%. He had also been training only 3 days a week. I think both Kflo and Gray could also destroy him right now.

- I have been to many sporting events in my life, and I have never seen so many crowd fights. One was pretty crazy in the floor seats. Luckily, many of them happened during several of the boring fights. The crowd was more interested in the crowd fights then the action in the ring, and rightfully so, IMO.

- I had seats next to many mma fighters, and it was nice to see how assessable they were to fans. Especially the younger fans. Gerald Harris was sitting in front of me, and he was a cool guy. Tried to get us to do the wave. Lots of WEC fighters next to us too. Bart Palaszewski, Scott Jorgenson (who was really cool with the fans), Leonard Garcia were a few I recognized. Mark Munoz and Jorge Rivera were a couple of the other UFC guys.

- Aside from the Nate Diaz-Marcus Davis fight, what a horrible card this turned out to be. Penn looked atrocious, the Maynard-Florian fight was terrible, but the absolute worse one was the Andre Winner- Nick Lentz fight. Wow. Just wow. It seemed like almost every fighter on this card wanted to be somewhere else.

- This sport needs a bad guy, and Nate Diaz realizes he has a great opportunity to be one. Never heard a fighter booed so loud, and he seems to love to play it up. And I really like Diaz as a fighter. Marcus Davis has heart, but it is time to hang them up, IMO. He took a beating. Crowd was pretty ticked at the ref for not realizing Davis was out cold. Pretty scary from my vantage point.

- Whoever handles the sound in the arena should be fired. What a disaster. I couldn't hear one interview, which was too bad. Really wanted to hear what Toney had to say after the fight. Crowd gave him a round of applause when Couture said he respected him, then when they gave the mike to Toney, the crowd would not stop booing. Annoying.

- Edgar is a ball of energy. And I know this sounds weird, but I still did not come away impressed despite him winning every round. Who is going to step up at lightweight? Could Jose Aldo sign with UFC? Just not impressed with the lightweight division.

- Honestly, it looked like Mario Miranda was just happy to be in the octagon. What a disgrace of a fight on his part.

- Shogun was outside the hotel when we got back there around 2:00 am. Taking pictures with people, joking around. Definitely not drunk, just genuinely seemed to be having a good time.
Nice write-up.Forgot to comment specifically on Miranda last night. I told my party-goers that he looked like a sparring partner that was only allowed to go 75%. Just terrible.

Chris B. said:
Clayton Gray said:
:lmao: I was suckered into this PPV by Penn (my favorite fighter). I should be more selective with what I chose to watch. This was definitely a Sopcast show.
BJ is either nursing an injury or is not training properly. He said earlier in the week he was at 90%, for a guy as cocky as BJ, 90% has got to be closer to 60%. He had also been training only 3 days a week. I think both Kflo and Gray could also destroy him right now.
Wouldn't be shocked if Penn never fights again.

Chris B. said:
Clayton Gray said:
:lmao: I was suckered into this PPV by Penn (my favorite fighter). I should be more selective with what I chose to watch. This was definitely a Sopcast show.
Wouldn't be shocked if Penn never fights again.
Me neither really, no idea what his deal is. Absolutely no heart right now.

You didn't miss much. I am not sure anyone knew what he was saying.Was there a movie playing on the jumbotron during the Penn fight? When Edgar took him down in the 1st, Penn just laid there looking up at something. I know you want to remain calm and wait for a chance to get up, but it almost looked like he was looking for somewhere to take a nap.

IMO, Dana White is stacking these PPV events too close together and diluting the product.Not sure if it's a cash grab (likely), or White legitimately thinks these are solid cards -- but having James Toney in the co-main event is bull####.Everyone knew this was a circus sideshow fight, and there was never any doubt that Couture was going to smoke him. Toney is punch drunk and looks like the Pillsbury Doughboy. It was disgraceful to have him included in one of the top two fights on the card. Personally, I don't see many compelling fights in the next two PPVs either. I won't throw down anymore cash until the Lesnar/Vasquez card. IMO, the UFC needs less quantity and more quality, or they are going to start losing fans. I'm already starting to lose interest in the sport.
One of my favorite things about the UFC is that you never know who is going to produce a good fight. Some match-ups look awesome on paper and then turn out to be duds. Then you get two semi no-names on the undercard who put on a hell of a show. This event turned out to be terrible but how many people knew this ahead of time? Go back 2 o 3 pages of this thread to where people started talking about this card. I didn't see one person (and the majority of posters are big MMA followers) say anything like "this card looks like crap" or "this is going to be a bad bunch of fights". Why? Because you never know.Which UFC fight was voted by fans to be the best ever? Griffin vs Bonnar in 2005. Before that fight how many people said "The two guys from the reality show? Oh yeah, this is going to be an epic fight. One for the ages"?
Personally, I don't see many compelling fights in the next two PPVs either. I won't throw down anymore cash until the Lesnar/Vasquez card.
:lmao: Cro-Cop vs Mir could turn out to be a snooze-fest while a couple of those kids on the undercard could bring it.

Nice write-up.Forgot to comment specifically on Miranda last night. I told my party-goers that he looked like a sparring partner that was only allowed to go 75%. Just terrible.
The ending sequence of the fight had me and my friends in total disbelief. Miranda had opportunities to either try a submission or lay some heavy shots on Maia, and he kept letting him back up! It made zero sense.

This is very unfortunate and probably the main reason I never plan on attending a UFC event live. A large percentage of fans are still ridiculous.
I will say that both Vegas shows I went to the crowd was awesome. Everyone was cool, loved talking about the fights, strangers wanted to give high fives after a big punch/submission. Just a good time. Newark and Boston, not so much. And Boston was the worst by far. Even leaving the arena, lots of idiots.

You didn't miss much. I am not sure anyone knew what he was saying.Was there a movie playing on the jumbotron during the Penn fight? When Edgar took him down in the 1st, Penn just laid there looking up at something. I know you want to remain calm and wait for a chance to get up, but it almost looked like he was looking for somewhere to take a nap.
Me and my friends were commenting how Edgar was moving all over the place in the standup, bobbing and weaving, and Penn just stood there. Didn't look like he had any strategy on how to attack Edgar.

IMO, Dana White is stacking these PPV events too close together and diluting the product.
I love the technical aspect of MMA just as much as the knockouts. A good submission is just as good as a huge KO to me. And I understand some fights had to be changed for this card, but it seemed like White assembled a light fighting, boring set of matches. I think for the live fight crowd, Dana needs to put some exciting fighters on prelims. Guys that just bring it. I am not talking about fighters with good records. Just guys that will mix it up. Like a Drew McFedries, or pretty much anyone in the heavyweight division. And on the main card, you are abviously looking for top quality, but it feels like this main card had all lightweights!!! Throw in a couple heavyweights.

Chris B. said:
Clayton Gray said:
:goodposting: I was suckered into this PPV by Penn (my favorite fighter). I should be more selective with what I chose to watch. This was definitely a Sopcast show.
After last night, Penn slides to #2 behind Lesnar. Penn just looked disinterested. Even in the Spike preview shows, he didn't sound fired up for Edgar. He showed no emotion or aggression in 25 minutes and it's disappointing. I think he needs a guy to talk trash and make it personal before Penn snaps out of his laid-back Hawaiian attitude.

- This sport needs a bad guy, and Nate Diaz realizes he has a great opportunity to be one.
I agree. That's why I like Nate. Both him and Nick are genuine A-holes and they enjoy that role. That beat down on Mayhem Miller was a little too WWE but it was damn fun to watch. I also like Koscheck and Lesnar for the same reasons. I hope none of them turn into nice guys, at least not while they're on camera.

Any lines up yet for Gray/Edgar?

As soon as it is scheduled, I am planning a trip to Vegas because every dollar I can comfortably risk is going on Gray.

Just met Chuck Liddell. He was jogging down the block as I walked out of my office building. We got caught at the red light together, so I was able to talk briefly with him. Nice guy. Skinny little legs but wide as hell. Looks to still be in excellent shape.

just watching the postfight MMA Live on Tivo. Is Gray Maynard "special"? :thumbdown: Or maybe just nervous on the TV stage. But man, he sounds STOOOOPDID

I was so intrigued by this quote I went out and bought his book, Got Fight?, online. Arrived today and I doubt I put it down tonight, some hilarious material.
Finished most of it last night. Half autobiography, half advice on pursuing a fighting career. Forrest comes off as a walking, breathing Tyler Durden. He claims in it that Fight Club actually ruined his life because he ingested it as gospel instead of black comedy. Full of self depreciating humor and a lot of crazy stories. Includes everything from move recommendations, how to self treat cauliflower ear, and how to recognize ringworm. Obviously not the greatest book ever written, but pretty good entertainment. Haven't sat and read a book in a while, Ms. Hooter asked me if Netflix was broken. :bag: He claims he doesn't fight to be the best in the world and only fights to be the best he can me. Has no problems admitting that others are better than him, as he says it takes a lot of pressure off of him. No explanation on the crying, but his record of holding a lighter to his skin is 16 seconds, anyone who has ever done it knows that anything over 4 is insane.

Says he failed the psych evaluation for the police department, and has an IQ of 86.

Last edited by a moderator:
- This sport needs a bad guy, and Nate Diaz realizes he has a great opportunity to be one. Never heard a fighter booed so loud, and he seems to love to play it up. And I really like Diaz as a fighter. Marcus Davis has heart, but it is time to hang them up, IMO. He took a beating.
:popcorn: I can't stand Nate. I hate hearing his voice. I don't like his attitude. Every time I see him fight I want him to lose, but he's just too good. I guess that's what makes him a good heel. He looked incredible on Saturday - it was almost like he was playing with the guy, then at the end decided that he was done messing around and it was time to finish it.

Any lines up yet for Gray/Edgar?

As soon as it is scheduled, I am planning a trip to Vegas because every dollar I can comfortably risk is going on Gray.
I might be coming in late here, but sportsbook has Maynard -145, Edgar +115.

And after my account balances got beat up bad thanks to Mr. Florian, and chasing that with grabbing BJ Penn, I am ready to get some money back with the Fight Night on Wednesday night:

Charles Oliveira +150 over Escudero - I am buying the Oliveira juice right now. Efrain is good, but i think this fight is closer to 50-50. Just watched the MMA Live, and I was glad to hear Kenny and Rashad support Oliveira (side note, great call by ESPN and MMA Live to really reduce using Franklin McNeil and putting more and more fighters on the show. Last week Chael grilled Kenny about his loss against maynard)

Nate Marquadt -200 over Palharres - Man, i didn't want to bet on this one, but I am banking on the fight against Sonnen was not Nate at his best, and was also under-valuing Chael. There is no way i can see Nate losing 2 in a row, especially to palharres who Nate can probably beat with his stand-up, and should avoid the submissions.

In other MMA, i won a little on the recent small shows with Shine and MFC. Tempted to play a little of the Shark event too, taking Houston Alexander +300 (over Sokoudjou) and maybe Dough Evans +300 over Ronnie Mann. Jardine is staring at me at -200 against Trevor Prangley, but he has burned me too much to take him.

dear god. Anyone see MFC26? Antonio McKee just gave Azevedo one of the worst cuts I have ever seen. no hyperbole. huge and gushing blood. :bowtie:
Glad to hear. McKee has been getting destroyed constantly for his style of fighting, which isn't the most exciting, but we have seen worse (Nick Lentz, I am looking right at you). I have to check the fight, but i hear he called out BJ Penn or Sherk after the fight hoping one of them can get by the UFC to fight him. I would like McKee to get a bigger profile fight. The guy hasn't lost in 7 years, so it would be nice to see him get a good challenge before he retires

In other MMA, i won a little on the recent small shows with Shine and MFC. Tempted to play a little of the Shark event too, taking Houston Alexander +300 (over Sokoudjou) and maybe Dough Evans +300 over Ronnie Mann. Jardine is staring at me at -200 against Trevor Prangley, but he has burned me too much to take him.
:lmao: Alexander/Sokoudjou? Jesus, I didn't even know that was going down. Sounds like a sweet 30 seconds of fun.That Shark Fights card actually looks pretty decent. You're thinking about betting against two of the guys that look like the easiest winners to call for me (Ronnie Mann and Soko), but I understand that +300 is tempting. What's the line on Daley/Masvidal looking like?

:lmao: Alexander/Sokoudjou? Jesus, I didn't even know that was going down. Sounds like a sweet 30 seconds of fun.That Shark Fights card actually looks pretty decent. You're thinking about betting against two of the guys that look like the easiest winners to call for me (Ronnie Mann and Soko), but I understand that +300 is tempting. What's the line on Daley/Masvidal looking like?
The Daley line is close to what most of the lines are Daley -500, Mavidal +300. Daley missed weight by a little, but i think he should win that one. Mavidal is a guy i am not too familiar with though. Same with Ronnie Mann, but i trust your thoughts on it and will probably lay off putting anything on Evans then. It isn't like Evans is bringing that much to the table, i just like the odds and i know when he had his brief stint in the UFC he looked alright. and it is a nice card, but the fact that it is PPV is ballsy. i can't imagine it will get too many buys, but at least the card does have a lot of name recognition. I know Pete Spratt is on the undercard, and i forget who else

serious mancrush here on both the diaz brothers. Have had one for a while.
there is an Ultimate Fighter marathon on today, and I am watching the Nick Diaz-Diego fight. I am a huge nut-hugger for the Diaz brothers as well, and i would love to see Dana bring back Nick and let him fight this one again.

Heh. I thought about taking Masvidal, since despite fighting at lightweight, he's a legit, well-rounded fighter. Felt bad about not jumping on it at the end of the third round. Good thing I didn't, though, 'cause the judges were out of their damn minds. :pickle:

The Shark Fights commentators are a bunch of buffoons for thinking Jorge Masvidal did anything to justify a decision win. I'm glad the judges scored it correctly.

The Shark Fights commentators are a bunch of buffoons for thinking Jorge Masvidal did anything to justify a decision win. I'm glad the judges scored it correctly.
I didn't see the event, but I am thankful Sokudjou is still the same guy. As for the commentators, i had heard they were pretty good: http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/09/12/shar...rye-experience/

Rutten has long been a player in the MMA commentary game. He has the technical background to talk with expertise about what's happening in the fight, but his Dutch accent coupled with his penchant for using onomatopoeias like they're going out of style make him a comic book character come to life. "Bam! Pow! Ooooh! Bap! Powpowpow!"

But then there's Don Frye.

Oh, Don Frye. A living legend, to be certain – winner of the UFC 8 and UFC Ultimate Ultimate 96 tournaments, Pride and K-1 fighter, 8-second knockout deliverer, former firefighter, actor in movies like "Miami Vice" and "Public Enemies" ... about 220 pounds of badass. Do YOU want to be the one to tell him bedecking himself in an American flag button-up cowboy shirt for the broadcast is a fashion faux pas? (Though his cowboy hat, if given the chance, could quite possibly cure Swine Flu.)

With a voice that sounds like the audio love child of Randy "Macho Man" Savage and Wilford Brimley, and a mustache that quite possibly needs its own zip code, Frye brought a mix of pre-planned one-liners and deadpan observations that have already gone down in MMA broadcasting lore under the category of "Did he REALLY just say that?!?" Better still, he excused some of his comments by saying he was in Texas – so that kind of talk was allowed.

Rutten singing "Heigh-Ho" from "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" while Houston Alexander ground-and-pounded Sokoudjou would have been a Top 20 moment on any other broadcast. But with Frye along for the ride, it paled in comparison.

Here now, the Top 20 highlights of Saturday's Shark Fights 13 pay-per-view broadcast, courtesy of the inimitable Don Frye.*

20. To Rutten: "I know you love me, dontcha sweetheart?"

19. On Danillo Villefort: "How old is that boy?"

18. When Kruck mistakenly called Frye "Bas": "No, I'm Don. Bas is the ugly guy with no hair."

17. On Johnny Rees Rees and Paul Bradley both wearing red trunks: "I'll take the white guy in the red shorts."

16. On the staredown between Rees and Bradley: "Like a couple of tribal Vikings out there. Blond hair, blue eyes ..."

15. To Kruck and Rutten at the end of the night: "Great to be here with you ladies."

14. On referee Kerry Hatley stepping in front of the camera angle: "Get Kerry's ### out of the way and we can see the fight."

13. On the difficulty of finding an MMA fight in France: "I didn't know France was ever in a fight. ... I heard Italy just declared war on Spain, and France surrendered."

12. On Alexander after he survived a barrage from Sokoudjou in Round 1: "He's still a little wobbly on his feet, ya know? Either that or he's got good rhythm."

11. On Bradley: "He's built like a brick s**thouse, ain't he?"

10. On something we're still trying to figure out: "Skin like a mule's ###."

9. On Brock Larson's unanimous decision loss and Frye's continued theory he may have been ill: "I'd like to hear if something was wrong with him tomorrow (instead of right after the fight). You don't want the Tito Ortiz list of excuses here. No one respects that."

8. On a promo spot for a charity for U.S. troops on the ninth anniversary of 9/11: "Get out your wallets, ya cheap bastards, and give 'em some money."

7. After the fights, while straight man/babysitter Kruck was still on his way back to the broadcast table from a post-fight interview with Trevor Prangley: "That was like two hours of rough, hard sex. I need a cigarette and a tequila now."

6. On Keith Jardine's stance: "He's so awkward. He's like a rabid octopus. He looks like he's about to fall over at any time." Fortunately, Kruck didn't point out to him that an octopus, as a cold-blooded animal, cannot get rabies.

5. Obviously no stranger to viral video sensation "Double Rainbow Guy," during a particularly memorable exchange with Rutten: "Double rainbow! Triple rainbow! Double secret probation! ... No, no, no, it's gonna go into triple double overtime!" Kruck saved the day by reminding the viewers, and Frye, "There is no overtime in Shark Fights."

4. During a discussion with Rutten over their records: "I started counting fights when I'd come home drunk and knock my old lady around," to which Kruck, ever the straight-man, quickly covered for him by saying, "I bet she's got a few wins over you, too."

3. On his background as a wrestler: "Look at me: I'm a wrestler. My balls are so big, I wear the excess on my hat."

2. On cauliflower ear: "This guy's tough. His ears are like potatoes. Looks like he got stuck in the birth canal, had to beat him out with a stick."

1. On the preliminary card fights: "That was like prison sex: hard, sweaty, violent and there was a lot of noise."

I didn't see the event, but I am thankful Sokudjou is still the same guy. As for the commentators, i had heard they were pretty good: http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/09/12/shar...rye-experience/

Rutten has long been a player in the MMA commentary game. He has the technical background to talk with expertise about what's happening in the fight, but his Dutch accent coupled with his penchant for using onomatopoeias like they're going out of style make him a comic book character come to life. "Bam! Pow! Ooooh! Bap! Powpowpow!"

But then there's Don Frye.

Oh, Don Frye. A living legend, to be certain – winner of the UFC 8 and UFC Ultimate Ultimate 96 tournaments, Pride and K-1 fighter, 8-second knockout deliverer, former firefighter, actor in movies like "Miami Vice" and "Public Enemies" ... about 220 pounds of badass. Do YOU want to be the one to tell him bedecking himself in an American flag button-up cowboy shirt for the broadcast is a fashion faux pas? (Though his cowboy hat, if given the chance, could quite possibly cure Swine Flu.)

With a voice that sounds like the audio love child of Randy "Macho Man" Savage and Wilford Brimley, and a mustache that quite possibly needs its own zip code, Frye brought a mix of pre-planned one-liners and deadpan observations that have already gone down in MMA broadcasting lore under the category of "Did he REALLY just say that?!?" Better still, he excused some of his comments by saying he was in Texas – so that kind of talk was allowed.

Rutten singing "Heigh-Ho" from "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" while Houston Alexander ground-and-pounded Sokoudjou would have been a Top 20 moment on any other broadcast. But with Frye along for the ride, it paled in comparison.

Here now, the Top 20 highlights of Saturday's Shark Fights 13 pay-per-view broadcast, courtesy of the inimitable Don Frye.*

20. To Rutten: "I know you love me, dontcha sweetheart?"

19. On Danillo Villefort: "How old is that boy?"

18. When Kruck mistakenly called Frye "Bas": "No, I'm Don. Bas is the ugly guy with no hair."

17. On Johnny Rees Rees and Paul Bradley both wearing red trunks: "I'll take the white guy in the red shorts."

16. On the staredown between Rees and Bradley: "Like a couple of tribal Vikings out there. Blond hair, blue eyes ..."

15. To Kruck and Rutten at the end of the night: "Great to be here with you ladies."

14. On referee Kerry Hatley stepping in front of the camera angle: "Get Kerry's ### out of the way and we can see the fight."

13. On the difficulty of finding an MMA fight in France: "I didn't know France was ever in a fight. ... I heard Italy just declared war on Spain, and France surrendered."

12. On Alexander after he survived a barrage from Sokoudjou in Round 1: "He's still a little wobbly on his feet, ya know? Either that or he's got good rhythm."

11. On Bradley: "He's built like a brick s**thouse, ain't he?"

10. On something we're still trying to figure out: "Skin like a mule's ###."

9. On Brock Larson's unanimous decision loss and Frye's continued theory he may have been ill: "I'd like to hear if something was wrong with him tomorrow (instead of right after the fight). You don't want the Tito Ortiz list of excuses here. No one respects that."

8. On a promo spot for a charity for U.S. troops on the ninth anniversary of 9/11: "Get out your wallets, ya cheap bastards, and give 'em some money."

7. After the fights, while straight man/babysitter Kruck was still on his way back to the broadcast table from a post-fight interview with Trevor Prangley: "That was like two hours of rough, hard sex. I need a cigarette and a tequila now."

6. On Keith Jardine's stance: "He's so awkward. He's like a rabid octopus. He looks like he's about to fall over at any time." Fortunately, Kruck didn't point out to him that an octopus, as a cold-blooded animal, cannot get rabies.

5. Obviously no stranger to viral video sensation "Double Rainbow Guy," during a particularly memorable exchange with Rutten: "Double rainbow! Triple rainbow! Double secret probation! ... No, no, no, it's gonna go into triple double overtime!" Kruck saved the day by reminding the viewers, and Frye, "There is no overtime in Shark Fights."

4. During a discussion with Rutten over their records: "I started counting fights when I'd come home drunk and knock my old lady around," to which Kruck, ever the straight-man, quickly covered for him by saying, "I bet she's got a few wins over you, too."

3. On his background as a wrestler: "Look at me: I'm a wrestler. My balls are so big, I wear the excess on my hat."

2. On cauliflower ear: "This guy's tough. His ears are like potatoes. Looks like he got stuck in the birth canal, had to beat him out with a stick."

1. On the preliminary card fights: "That was like prison sex: hard, sweaty, violent and there was a lot of noise."
:loco: There were plenty of WTF moments from Bas and Frye. It was like watching the fights with your two drunk closet homosexual uncles. One of my favorite lines was when the ref blocked the camera for a few seconds, and one of guys blurted, "that's a nice ###". Then they go on for a few more minutes on how big John Macarthy's butt used to be.

As far as the fight analysis goes, there was nothing intelligent from those guys.

:goodposting: There were plenty of WTF moments from Bas and Frye. It was like watching the fights with your two drunk closet homosexual uncles. One of my favorite lines was when the ref blocked the camera for a few seconds, and one of guys blurted, "that's a nice ###". Then they go on for a few more minutes on how big John Macarthy's butt used to be.As far as the fight analysis goes, there was nothing intelligent from those guys.
man, that is great. I would take them over most of the commentating teams out there. Maybe both together was not the best idea, but put Frye out there with any upstart promotion and people will watch

modogg said:
Sea Ropes said:
:shrug: There were plenty of WTF moments from Bas and Frye. It was like watching the fights with your two drunk closet homosexual uncles. One of my favorite lines was when the ref blocked the camera for a few seconds, and one of guys blurted, "that's a nice ###". Then they go on for a few more minutes on how big John Macarthy's butt used to be.As far as the fight analysis goes, there was nothing intelligent from those guys.
man, that is great. I would take them over most of the commentating teams out there. Maybe both together was not the best idea, but put Frye out there with any upstart promotion and people will watch
:shrug: Frye is my all time favorite fighter and the guy that got me into UFC in the first place. He takes power mustache to a whole 'nother level.I have to find a copy of this to listen to his commentary.Another favorite from the early UFC days was Jon Hess and his self made SAFTA (Scientifically Advanced Fighting Technique of America) technique. Then, in his one UFC fight, he just crushes his opponent with the most awkward, goofy, beatdown you've ever seen, only to break his hand and step down from the tourny.

modogg said:
Sea Ropes said:
:banned: There were plenty of WTF moments from Bas and Frye. It was like watching the fights with your two drunk closet homosexual uncles.

One of my favorite lines was when the ref blocked the camera for a few seconds, and one of guys blurted, "that's a nice ###". Then they go on for a few more minutes on how big John Macarthy's butt used to be.

As far as the fight analysis goes, there was nothing intelligent from those guys.
:tumbleweed: Frye is my all time favorite fighter and the guy that got me into UFC in the first place. He takes power mustache to a whole 'nother level.

I have to find a copy of this to listen to his commentary.

Another favorite from the early UFC days was Jon Hess and his self made SAFTA (Scientifically Advanced Fighting Technique of America) technique. Then, in his one UFC fight, he just crushes his opponent with the most awkward, goofy, beatdown you've ever seen, only to break his hand and step down from the tourny.
All of the Shark Fights 13 bouts are/were on youtube.

So am I off thinking there may be value in Cole Miller +200 over Ross Pearson (-260)? Pearson has looked fantastic ever since he left the Ultimate Fighter, and he looks like one of the few bright spots to come out of the Ultimate Fighter in the last few seasons, but Cole is always game for a good fight, and his submission game is pretty slick. I am not too sure what either have been up too lately, but does anyone else think there may be value in Cole here? I'm still sitting with a small play onn Oliveira and some cash on Nate, but this one keeps makling me wonder

So am I off thinking there may be value in Cole Miller +200 over Ross Pearson (-260)? Pearson has looked fantastic ever since he left the Ultimate Fighter, and he looks like one of the few bright spots to come out of the Ultimate Fighter in the last few seasons, but Cole is always game for a good fight, and his submission game is pretty slick. I am not too sure what either have been up too lately, but does anyone else think there may be value in Cole here? I'm still sitting with a small play onn Oliveira and some cash on Nate, but this one keeps makling me wonder
In my opinion Pearson has much, much better standup with good enough TD defense to keep it standing. I don't see Pearson losing unless he gases (which he's shown a pretty good gas tank) or takes it to the ground for some unknown reason

Escudero missed weight by 4 pounds.

Hadn't looked at the lines, but I'd say that's great value (though I willingly admit that I'm not as high on Pearson as most). Miller is good enough in the standup to control his distance and weather what Pearson throws at him, and a good enough grappler to take him down and use his superior ground game.Oliveira and Nate both scare me, though.

I'm on Escudero 1.65 to win 1u

Also leans on Marquardt, Tibau and Pearson but probably won't touch them. Looking at Tibau/Miller o14.5min -140 as well.

I'm on Escudero 1.65 to win 1uAlso leans on Marquardt, Tibau and Pearson but probably won't touch them. Looking at Tibau/Miller o14.5min -140 as well.
:goodposting: :thumbdown: Looks like we are going head to head today, bud. :football: I'm not a huge fan of the fight seeing it could go either way, but i'm already in. I'm cool with a draw :hifive:

Hadn't looked at the lines, but I'd say that's great value (though I willingly admit that I'm not as high on Pearson as most). Miller is good enough in the standup to control his distance and weather what Pearson throws at him, and a good enough grappler to take him down and use his superior ground game.
:blackdot: MAGRINHO!

Hadn't looked at the lines, but I'd say that's great value (though I willingly admit that I'm not as high on Pearson as most). Miller is good enough in the standup to control his distance and weather what Pearson throws at him, and a good enough grappler to take him down and use his superior ground game.
:excited: MAGRINHO!
:lmao: it was a light play for me because I looked around and i couldn't find anyone else who was giving Cole a chance. I just know Cole's stand-up wasn't that horrible and he has a good aggressive style to go after anyone. a good fight by him, i wonder who is next for him. I think he is ready to take on the next level of competition.

Users who are viewing this thread