What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unemployment lowest since 2008 (4 Viewers)

Two years after the initial proclamation of an improvement in employment buoying Obama we've got yet another one (and a title change).

We're down a good 2 million jobs from when Obama was elected and population growth adds another 2 million per year, so we have a deficit of 8 million jobs times 2.5 people per household yields 20 million people living in a household where someone probably wants a job, but can't find one. Obama won the popular vote by 10 million.

People vote based on their situation, not on the minor changes in a statistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two years after the initial proclamation of an improvement in employment buoying Obama we've got yet another one (and a title change). We're down a good 2 million jobs from when Obama was elected and population growth adds another 2 million per year, so we have a deficit of 8 million jobs times 2.5 people per household yields 20 million people living in a household where someone probably wants a job, but can't find one. Obama won the popular vote by 10 million.People vote based on their situation, not on the minor changes in a statistic.
Historically, this is inaccurate. FDR's 3 re-elections are probably the best example. People vote for the guy who makes them FEEL better. People want to believe in good news, even if it's not happening to them yet.

The media has the narrative to get their boy re-elected (8.6, 125K jobs added)The truth of course is that the number of people who've stopped looking for work or who otherwise fall off the unemployment rolls continue to explode with no end in sight.All I can tell people is to continue to hoard guns, food, water, gas and a generator. Be as fully prepared as you can for the coming economic apocalypse that Obama will bring to a lame duck Presidency. Think of all the BS he's done when he had to consider being re-elected. Without that restraint, he's going to do a lot of damage that we'll never recover from.
You're really trying a bit too hard here.

I think a lot of people could work if they really wanted to. There was a statistic that 3 million jobs are there for the taking but companies cannot find the right people to hire. What do you make of that?

I think a lot of people could work if they really wanted to. There was a statistic that 3 million jobs are there for the taking but companies cannot find the right people to hire. What do you make of that?
What I think is that if this is true then ultimately those jobs will be filled as our education system and training adjust to the marketplace.

Two years after the initial proclamation of an improvement in employment buoying Obama we've got yet another one (and a title change). We're down a good 2 million jobs from when Obama was elected and population growth adds another 2 million per year, so we have a deficit of 8 million jobs times 2.5 people per household yields 20 million people living in a household where someone probably wants a job, but can't find one. Obama won the popular vote by 10 million.People vote based on their situation, not on the minor changes in a statistic.
Historically, this is inaccurate. FDR's 3 re-elections are probably the best example. People vote for the guy who makes them FEEL better. People want to believe in good news, even if it's not happening to them yet.
Not even close- things actually were much better under FDR when he won re-election. Why should people believe Obama (again)?

If I were the Republicans, I would stick to a simple message. Don't deny that things are getting better. I would argue instead that, yes, things look more hopeful. But one reason is that we've been able to keep taxes down, despite Dems like Obama always trying to raise them. So far, we've prevented it. If Obama is re-elected he'll let the Bush tax cuts expire and there's not a damn thing we can do to stop it. Also if he is re-elected HCR will go into effect in 2013 and there's not a damn thing we can do to stop that. Both of these will combine to halt any improvement and make things much worse again. Only by electing a Republican can we avoid this.

I don't necessarily agree with all parts of this argument, but it's the best the GOP has. If they try to argue that things are much worse than they seem, they're sunk IMO.

Not even close- things actually were much better under FDR when he won re-election. Why should people believe Obama (again)?
First off, things were not better for Americans in 1936 or 1940- FDR through his policies actually prolonged the Great Depression. I can't answer your question. Logically people shouldn't believe Obama again. But I suspect they probably will.

:goodposting: here in San Antonio there are companies that are hiring, yet they cannot find people for the jobs. And the reason is why get a job that will pay you the same (or close) as unemployment will. Not saing we should not help those that are unemployed, but we need to make it more difficult for them to keep taking the cash.

The media has the narrative to get their boy re-elected (8.6, 125K jobs added)The truth of course is that the number of people who've stopped looking for work or who otherwise fall off the unemployment rolls continue to explode with no end in sight.All I can tell people is to continue to hoard guns, food, water, gas and a generator. Be as fully prepared as you can for the coming economic apocalypse that Obama will bring to a lame duck Presidency. Think of all the BS he's done when he had to consider being re-elected. Without that restraint, he's going to do a lot of damage that we'll never recover from.
I really hope I'm proven wrong.

If I were the Republicans, I would stick to a simple message. Don't deny that things are getting better. I would argue instead that, yes, things look more hopeful. But one reason is that we've been able to keep taxes down, despite Dems like Obama always trying to raise them. So far, we've prevented it. If Obama is re-elected he'll let the Bush tax cuts expire and there's not a damn thing we can do to stop it. Also if he is re-elected HCR will go into effect in 2013 and there's not a damn thing we can do to stop that. Both of these will combine to halt any improvement and make things much worse again. Only by electing a Republican can we avoid this. I don't necessarily agree with all parts of this argument, but it's the best the GOP has. If they try to argue that things are much worse than they seem, they're sunk IMO.
:goodposting:

I don't know what's going on. I think there is an obvious improvement right now but have no idea how long it will last.

Heck, my company needs Cisco engineers with CCNA's and can't find enough.

But I do think overall, the banking sector and Europe will drag everything back down eventually.

The media has the narrative to get their boy re-elected (8.6, 125K jobs added)

The truth of course is that the number of people who've stopped looking for work or who otherwise fall off the unemployment rolls continue to explode with no end in sight.

All I can tell people is to continue to hoard guns, food, water, gas and a generator. Be as fully prepared as you can for the coming economic apocalypse that Obama will bring to a lame duck Presidency. Think of all the BS he's done when he had to consider being re-elected. Without that restraint, he's going to do a lot of damage that we'll never recover from.
I think you are off here by quite a bit - the number in July for the numbers not in the work force - 86,443,000 and in todays report 86,558,000 - hardly an "explosion".

First off, things were not better for Americans in 1936 or 1940- FDR through his policies actually prolonged the Great Depression. I can't answer your question. Logically people shouldn't believe Obama again. But I suspect they probably will.
I'm not advocating for FDR here, but unemployment was lower and GDP growth was greater after he took over. You don't have to credit him for that, but it's a fact. He didn't win re-election just because of "feel", he won because things got better.

Maybe flipping burgers isn't what people that went to college have in mind? :rolleyes:
What did these students have in mind when they decided tomajor in Hispanic Transgender Gay & Lesbian Studies?

It depends. Say you had a real estate boom in a country. Then that bubble popped. Now you have a lot of out of work construction workers and real estate agents. Now say you have an IT boom. How qualified are those construction workers and real estate agents to develop iPhone apps?

Two years after the initial proclamation of an improvement in employment buoying Obama we've got yet another one (and a title change).

We're down a good 2 million jobs from when Obama was elected and population growth adds another 2 million per year, so we have a deficit of 8 million jobs times 2.5 people per household yields 20 million people living in a household where someone probably wants a job, but can't find one. Obama won the popular vote by 10 million.

Contrary to the "Obama is a god" theme that I hear from you right wingers, the man can't work miracles. LOL at "Obama is down 2M jobs" when YOUR GUY handed him a paper bag full of #### after 8 years of YOUR economic policies.

Contrary to the "Obama is a god" theme that I hear from you right wingers, the man can't work miracles. LOL at "Obama is down 2M jobs" when YOUR GUY handed him a paper bag full of #### after 8 years of YOUR economic policies.
And if we take the numbers from when he took office(the critics like that elected word) using the Feb 2009 report - we are down 7M (1.168 in jobs lost and 5.8M fewer in job force) using guderian's calculations - which shows the free fall that the economy was in when Obama took office with job loss of over 1M in the final 2.5 months of the Bush administration.

Which economic policies??? We had a thread on this a while back and you guys didn't seem to put together much of a list.

And I said "We're down a good 2 million jobs from when Obama was elected" which is a fact. It's also a fact that we're having the worst recovery in modern economic history. In a little less than a year voters will get to decide if they believe the "it's all Bush's fault" theme or not. :thumbup:

And I said "We're down a good 2 million jobs from when Obama was elected" which is a fact. It's also a fact that we're having the worst recovery in modern economic history. In a little less than a year voters will get to decide if they believe the "it's all Bush's fault" theme or not. :thumbup:
But only a little over 1 since he took office - not sure you should saddle him with the final months of the Bush years- 1 looks a bit better than your 2

Actually, he's got a keyboard macro that generates that text.

If it stays under 9% it means that Obama's re-election chances, which were already at least good, are improved immensely. Republicans will argue, with great merit, that things remain awful and that this figure only means that more people have stopped looking.
The Obama administration said 3 years ago when they were selling the stiumulus that it would keep unemployment from rising above 8%. Assuming that it still isn't there by the election, why would the goal posts be moved to 9%?

If I were the Republicans, I would stick to a simple message. Don't deny that things are getting better. I would argue instead that, yes, things look more hopeful. But one reason is that we've been able to keep taxes down, despite Dems like Obama always trying to raise them. So far, we've prevented it. If Obama is re-elected he'll let the Bush tax cuts expire and there's not a damn thing we can do to stop it. Also if he is re-elected HCR will go into effect in 2013 and there's not a damn thing we can do to stop that. Both of these will combine to halt any improvement and make things much woprse again. Only by electing a Republican can we avoid this. I don't necessarily agree with all parts of this argument, but it's the best the GOP has. If they try to argue that things are much worse than they seem, they're sunk IMO.
I think Obama supporters should offer what they think Obama should do before helping the other side, imo.

I love this myth.

If I were the Republicans, I would stick to a simple message. Don't deny that things are getting better. I would argue instead that, yes, things look more hopeful. But one reason is that we've been able to keep taxes down, despite Dems like Obama always trying to raise them. So far, we've prevented it. If Obama is re-elected he'll let the Bush tax cuts expire and there's not a damn thing we can do to stop it. Also if he is re-elected HCR will go into effect in 2013 and there's not a damn thing we can do to stop that. Both of these will combine to halt any improvement and make things much woprse again. Only by electing a Republican can we avoid this. I don't necessarily agree with all parts of this argument, but it's the best the GOP has. If they try to argue that things are much worse than they seem, they're sunk IMO.
I think Obama supporters should offer what they think Obama should do before helping the other side, imo.
Agreed. It's a good thing I'm not an Obama supporter.

If it stays under 9% it means that Obama's re-election chances, which were already at least good, are improved immensely. Republicans will argue, with great merit, that things remain awful and that this figure only means that more people have stopped looking.
The Obama administration said 3 years ago when they were selling the stiumulus that it would keep unemployment from rising above 8%. Assuming that it still isn't there by the election, why would the goal posts be moved to 9%?
Because they will be.

Link to Obama saying this?

:goodposting: here in San Antonio there are companies that are hiring, yet they cannot find people for the jobs. And the reason is why get a job that will pay you the same (or close) as unemployment will. Not saing we should not help those that are unemployed, but we need to make it more difficult for them to keep taking the cash.
I know this sounds very callous on my part but maybe flipping the burgers for some of these 22 yr old grad will open their eyes to the fact they need more specialized schooling or God forbid they create their own way by starting a new business. I'm sure it wasn't easy finding work 100 years ago and so we have dynamic American inventors that brought about fantastic ideas and developed large corporations employing millions of people. Whether people agree or disagree I had to take a couple steps back to reset so i could move forward again. I now have both experience and a degree and to this point finding work has not been a major issue.

Which economic policies??? We had a thread on this a while back and you guys didn't seem to put together much of a list.
You know...the ones...those ones...yeah that stuff...Bush is the devil.

Either:1. Lies2. They need to pay more to hire people for whatever work it is.3. They are unwilling to hire people with less skills than they would like and train them.

And it's a fact that Obama has about 8% of his cabinet and advisers from the private sector when most Presidents since Teddy Roosevelt had between 40-60% of their advisers from the private sector all the way thru Bush Jr. the 2nd lowest recorded in history was none other than Jimmy Carter who had something like 20% or thereabouts. I don't pick on Obama for foreign policy stuff much, and I like some of what he proposed to do with the rebuilding of the infrastructure in this country but I don't blink when I say that Obama has very little experience when it comes to financial matters and shows poor leadership in money matters. You can disagree that's fine but most people can see that he certainly should not be the CFO of a company.

He put together a 4 trillion deficit reduction bill with Boehner. Killed by Republicans.He put together a jobs bill. Killed by Republicans.Can't even get political appointees and judges an up or down vote. Best of both worlds man. Most obstructionist congress in history AND you get to acted baffled, MYSTIFIED even that he hasn't done more.

^^^^^^^^100% guarantee was a Bush voter AND thought he did a wonderful job.....lol

You've been in the thread, you must have seen my question. Which policies "handed him a paper bag full of #### after 8 years of YOUR economic policies"???
Link to Obama saying this?

It depends on what the assertion is really. Did Bush economic policies cause the housing and financial meltdown? Probably not, although intervention/regulation in the OTC derivatives market may have helped avert the worst of the bank crisis. In reality, I'm skeptical that would have happened regardless of who was president. The much fairer criticism of Bush policies is that two rounds of tax cuts combined with the war costs of Iraq and Afghanistan, and increased domestic/entitlement spending on top of it, massively inflated the debt and deficit outlook and crippled the ability to respond effectively. As a result, we've been left having to slash government spending and payrolls (particularly at the state and local level), significantly worsening the employment picture.

I really hope I'm proven wrong.
I posted this on the previous page:Here is a blurb from a Yahoo article:
At the same time, a broad measure of unemployment that includes people who want to work but have given up looking for jobs and those working only part time for economic reasons dropped to a 2-1/2 year low of 15.6 percent in November from 16.2 percent in October.
Seems like that got better as well.

Yeah, I am a headhunter and all I do is talk to people who are unemployed. NOT ONE has been an exclusive or even major bread winner (talking 75%+), and said "oh screw it, I am not looking anymore". The ones that have "given up" are typically either the unemployable (who found jobs in a tight market for employers), those close to retirement anyway, and those who were secondary bread winners and likely were already contemplating whether to stay in the market anyways (versus raising the family fulltime). We still need to find these people jobs if they want them, but for the most part, the "given up" arguement really has no major impact no the country's workforce.Also, the part about Obama ruining the country for good are a bit extreme. One man/woman can not do that (even a President). The President often gets too much or too little credit for what he does (either positive or negative), and we are a democracy, not a dictatorship, where we have a series of checks and balances to kill the plans of just one person. I'm a Democrat, who saw an economy flourish under Clinton...am I going to give him all or even a majority of the credit? Of course not. It was due to new technology, plain and simple. Am I going to blame Bush for the fall after that? No, it was because said technology was implemented and the initial rush was gone. These guys are mostly figureheads...they do influence the masses, but in the end, they are not running the country with nearly the same influence and control that a Fortune 500 CEO does his/her company

The Bush administration doesn't get any blame for the economy being in shambles after 8 years of their policies?

Go to 2 wars and not pay for them economic policy!

So that was the cause of the real estate bubble and collapse?

So that was the cause of the real estate bubble and collapse?
Why would you draw that conclusion? There are a lot of factors that resulted in our economy being in the shape it is today - the RE bubble is just one of them. Bush Tax cuts and the 2 wars that were kept off budget are policies that were extremely poor decisions.

The Bush administration doesn't get any blame for the economy being in shambles after 8 years of their policies?
For the third time, which Bush policies are responsible for leaving Obama with a "paper bag full of ####"???Yeah. I thought so.

For the third time, which Bush policies are responsible for leaving Obama with a "paper bag full of ####"???Yeah. I thought so.
You thought what? In the post that directly proceeds your post, I named 2 policies that play a significant role in the current mess we find ourselves in. But please, continue acting as if the folks steering the ship from 2000-2008 have clean hands while evil Obama is really at fault for our problems.

The policy of not further regulating the financial system. Clinton and Obama have been guilty of the same. Specifically not placing stricter loan limits or breaking up TBTF financial institutions. Presidents are guilty of not fixing problems before #### hits the fan as well.Bush's biggest fault was increasing the debt. He cut taxes, waged two poorly managed wars, created the DHS, and increased other government spending during his terms without considering increasing revenue. I'm not giving Obama a pass here either though. His party had control of Congress for two years and even though some of the control might as well have called themselves Republicans, Obama played too nice instead of calling out the obstructionists.

Once upon a time last year I actually tried to get a list out of people to determine what the failed Bush policies were.

'KnowledgeReignsSupreme said:
'Black Box said:
'KnowledgeReignsSupreme said:
Anyone else want to take a stab at this?
List update?
Current theories about GWB causing the recession/banking crisis:Illegal immigration

Iraq war

Political advertisements

Financial deregulation that occured under Carter, Reagan and Clinton.
The entire thread is a good read.

Users who are viewing this thread