What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Universal Studios Orlando (1 Viewer)

I'm headed to Orlando for 3 full days (4 nights) in early March. All we know so far is that we'll be spending one full day at Islands of Adventure (HP World). I know Disney has the whole Downtown Disney area and everything like that if you stay there, is there anything similar for Universal and how does it compare? How is CityWalk compared to Downtown Disney?Also, is the March 2nd weekend early enough to avoid the spring break crowds?

I'm headed to Orlando for 3 full days (4 nights) in early March. All we know so far is that we'll be spending one full day at Islands of Adventure (HP World). I know Disney has the whole Downtown Disney area and everything like that if you stay there, is there anything similar for Universal and how does it compare? How is CityWalk compared to Downtown Disney?Also, is the March 2nd weekend early enough to avoid the spring break crowds?
CityWalk and Downtown Disney are the same type of thing. DD has the Raglan Road Irish bar, Citywalk has Pat O'Brien's (a a very faithful recreation of the one in New Orleans.) Downtown Disney is bigger, but CityWalk is going to have what you need - a nightclub, a comedy club, karaoke, Emeril's restaurant, Margaritaville. Both entities are overpriced tourist traps.March 2nd, you should avoid Spring Breakers by and large. I think they start to flood in the weekend of the 9th, and then the next two weekends will be the biggest.

So what are the best shows to take in at the park? The Horror makeup show looks pretty what is on the must see list?

I only saw a brief mention of it before so I thought I'd see if I could get more input.

Thinking of going to Orlando/Universal from Nov 22nd through Nov 28th (yes, Thanksgiving Day). Will the parks be super busy during that time? I don't mind if we hit up the parks the weekend of the 23rd/24th.

I only saw a brief mention of it before so I thought I'd see if I could get more input.

Thinking of going to Orlando/Universal from Nov 22nd through Nov 28th (yes, Thanksgiving Day). Will the parks be super busy during that time? I don't mind if we hit up the parks the weekend of the 23rd/24th.
My best guess would be pretty busy the weekend/week prior to Thanksgiving and a total zoo from Thanksgiving Day through that ensuing Sunday.

Heading to Orlando in April for Easter break. Taking the fam to Universal for one day. Any thoughts on which day to hit it? I realize every day is probably a cluster#### but any insight might be helpful

Heading to Orlando in April for Easter break. Taking the fam to Universal for one day. Any thoughts on which day to hit it? I realize every day is probably a cluster#### but any insight might be helpful
Which week in April? April 14-19 will be packed to the rafters regardless of day of week, but there will be some windows of opportunity elsewhere in April.

Which week in April? April 14-19 will be packed to the rafters regardless of day of week, but there will be some windows of opportunity elsewhere in April.
4/19 - 4/26...Saturday to Saturday

According to Touring Plans, who rate crowd levels 1 (empty) to 10 (full)...Mardi Gras Concert on the 19th will draw max crowd levels. 9.8 at Studios, 9.1 at Islands of Adventure.

Less crowded on Easter Sunday and Monday - 7.0, 7.0 and 7.3, 7.2.

Tuesday through Thursday a little thinner as post-Easter guest depart - mid 6s at Studios, high 6s to 7.0 at IOA.

Surprisingly, Friday projects relatively low. 4.9 and 5.6. Beware of some variance there - if advance ticket sales are sluggish, they might run a special for locals to move more bodies through the doors.

Saturday ticks up some - 6.9 and 5.2. My guess is Studios projects higher because the Transformers ride is the shiny new draw and the Harry Potter expansion at Studios won't be done yet, shrinking the usable size of the park and concentrating the crowds in other areas.

According to Touring Plans, who rate crowd levels 1 (empty) to 10 (full)...Mardi Gras Concert on the 19th will draw max crowd levels. 9.8 at Studios, 9.1 at Islands of Adventure.

Less crowded on Easter Sunday and Monday - 7.0, 7.0 and 7.3, 7.2.

Tuesday through Thursday a little thinner as post-Easter guest depart - mid 6s at Studios, high 6s to 7.0 at IOA.

Surprisingly, Friday projects relatively low. 4.9 and 5.6. Beware of some variance there - if advance ticket sales are sluggish, they might run a special for locals to move more bodies through the doors.

Saturday ticks up some - 6.9 and 5.2. My guess is Studios projects higher because the Transformers ride is the shiny new draw and the Harry Potter expansion at Studios won't be done yet, shrinking the usable size of the park and concentrating the crowds in other areas.
Thanks for the info. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Any tips on where to head right when the park opens? From what I gather the HP attraction is popular. My kids (7-8) aren't into HP yet though. Might show them some movies before we leave though. REALLY into Marvel superheroes though.

Which to hit if only going to one...Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure? Worth it to hit each one once?

[icon] said:
Fan or not, the Harry Potter area of Islands of Adventure is awesome.
yeah we had the extra hours... my sister hooked us up with the royal Pacific? Hotel for 50 bucks...full express pass and walk to the park anyway. Hit the gat at 730... they opened around 750.... Cloudy day. Hit everything in that section before regular park opening.... waited like 5 minutes for the ride :thumbup: will try to post pic later

wadegarrett said:
Which to hit if only going to one...Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure? Worth it to hit each one once?
each offer something different.... Like both but of the 2 probably isles....However if not crowded you could do both in one day

Last edited by a moderator:
wadegarrett said:
Universal has Revenge of the Mummy, Rip Ride Rockit, the Transformers 3-D simulator, and the rest of the rides are meh. To be fair, I like Men In Black Alien Attack, but only because I'm hyper-competitive and like rides that keep score so I can taunt young children after I kick their ###es. 3 1/2 really good attraction. Simpsons ride is OK, amusing but not really all that great. Maybe after they get the new Harry Potter expansion up, it might overtake I of A, but....

I of A has the Hulk coaster, Spiderman 3-D simulator, the Harry Potter simulator, Dragon Challenge, Dr. Doom's Fearfall and Jurassic Park River Adventure. I'd consider those the highlights. 6 good attractions for Islands of Adventure, IMO. Plus, I like to order beer in Harry Potter land under the talking hog head. I usually flip it off for good measure.

wadegarrett said:
Universal has Revenge of the Mummy, Rip Ride Rockit, the Transformers 3-D simulator, and the rest of the rides are meh. To be fair, I like Men In Black Alien Attack, but only because I'm hyper-competitive and like rides that keep score so I can taunt young children after I kick their ###es. 3 1/2 really good attraction. Simpsons ride is OK, amusing but not really all that great. Maybe after they get the new Harry Potter expansion up, it might overtake I of A, but....

I of A has the Hulk coaster, Spiderman 3-D simulator, the Harry Potter simulator, Dragon Challenge, Dr. Doom's Fearfall and Jurassic Park River Adventure. I'd consider those the highlights. 6 good attractions for Islands of Adventure, IMO. Plus, I like to order beer in Harry Potter land under the talking hog head. I usually flip it off for good measure.
you would fit right in with belljr clan on the score rides... my wife took a picture to prove she beat my daughter and I on the toy story one.... :lol: my only loss to her :rant:

Anyone been since the HP expansion? Looking for thoughts on the Hogwarts Express, whether it is worthwhile doing. Family all HP fans so probably going to do this, but hate having to pay extra $125 for the park hopper just to ride this train!

Anyone been since the HP expansion? Looking for thoughts on the Hogwarts Express, whether it is worthwhile doing. Family all HP fans so probably going to do this, but hate having to pay extra $125 for the park hopper just to ride this train!
Took the family there two weeks ago for Halloween! The expansion is top-notch - from Diagon Alley, to the Hogswart Train to the Hogsmeade Ride. Definitely worth the extra dough as far as I'm concerned.

Also, get the VIP tickets and skip the lines. That is certainly worth the investment. You can use them on all the rides except the Harry Potter rides.

Took the family there two weeks ago for Halloween! The expansion is top-notch - from Diagon Alley, to the Hogswart Train to the Hogsmeade Ride. Definitely worth the extra dough as far as I'm concerned.

Also, get the VIP tickets and skip the lines. That is certainly worth the investment. You can use them on all the rides except the Harry Potter rides.
was the Halloween horror nights there?

http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/hollywood/2014/

GFs parents just moved to Orlando, going to visit them with her this spring. She's never been to any of the parks, what would be top 3 to visit for 30s adults with no kids attached?

She won't do any rollercoasters, but regular rides are fine, otherwise open to whatever. She seems intent on doing a few days at parks though.

Has anyone done Halloween Horror Nights? We are planning to go in October and looking for feedback/advice on how HHN works.

Black doting this. Going to be in the area next March. debating on staying on property or not.

Has anyone done Halloween Horror Nights? We are planning to go in October and looking for feedback/advice on how HHN works.
The wife and I do it every year. What do you want to know?
Is HHN set up in both parks, or just one? Do the parks close at a certain time for HHN and then reopen for those with HHN tickets? What's the difference between houses and scare zones? Not much basic info. provided on the official web site at his point in time.

roarlions said:
2 things:1. Try and go on a Thursday or Sunday. They are usually the two slowest nights.

2. Get fast passes.

roarlions said:
JShare87 said:
roarlions said:
Is HHN set up in both parks, or just one? Do the parks close at a certain time for HHN and then reopen for those with HHN tickets? What's the difference between houses and scare zones? Not much basic info. provided on the official web site at his point in time.
Universal Studios only, it's not in Islands of Adventure currently. The park does close at a certain time and then re-open for those with HHN tickets. If you have both a regular daily park admission and a HHN ticket, you can stay in the park, they corral you into a few designated waiting areas. That's the way to go if you can swing it because they'll release you before they open the main gate to HHN-only ticketholders, so you can knock out a house or two before the madding crowds descend. This is key these days because even on what they consider off-nights, you'll be waiting 90 minutes to get into a house by mid-evening. I recommend posting up about an hour before US closes at Finnegan's. They have seats, beer, A/C, and decent food - four things you won't have if you're stuck waiting an hour outdoors.

Houses are large, elaborate haunts built up that you walk through. The scare zones are just scattered throughout the park as you walk from attraction to attraction, you can walk through those as often as you want. As I mentioned, lines for the houses get really long, so it's usually better to see those very early and very late and see the shows, ride the rides, see the scarezones during the middle of the night. Your only hope of getting into all the houses is to have a regular Studios ticket and get the early entry to a few houses and then follow an online plan to avoid the bulk of the crowds (there are sites dedicated to this) or to buy a lineskipper add-on. These are often as much as the regular ticket, but if you can afford it, do it. The crowds are insane there now. And also, don't even think of going on a Friday or Saturday night.

Last edited by a moderator:
roarlions said:
JShare87 said:
roarlions said:
It was at both parks once that I remember. Now it is only at Universal Studios. Yes the park will close and then reopen for HHN (usually 6pm). Houses are like an attraction, you wait in a really really really long line and walk through a house where a bunch of people jump out and scare you. Picture the house as a huge group of people doing the Conga Line through it. It's a conveyor belt, they get you in and out pretty quick. The scare zones are just areas in the park they have set up and decorated for people to scare you. It's pretty much the normal sidewalks but they have a designated area where it's decorated and people scare you as you walk to other attractions. Also make sure you get there right when the gates open, it's actually best to be there about 20 minutes before it opens. Do that and you can jump on 3 or 4 houses and rides before the lines fill up. Mark the houses or rides you really want to do before hand and go there first. Harry Potter ride is probably the first thing you should go to. After about 20 minutes the wait time will be over an hour. PM me if you want any other info. Have fun.

roarlions said:
JShare87 said:
roarlions said:
It was at both parks once that I remember. Now it is only at Universal Studios. Yes the park will close and then reopen for HHN (usually 6pm). Houses are like an attraction, you wait in a really really really long line and walk through a house where a bunch of people jump out and scare you. Picture the house as a huge group of people doing the Conga Line through it. It's a conveyor belt, they get you in and out pretty quick. The scare zones are just areas in the park they have set up and decorated for people to scare you. It's pretty much the normal sidewalks but they have a designated area where it's decorated and people scare you as you walk to other attractions. Also make sure you get there right when the gates open, it's actually best to be there about 20 minutes before it opens. Do that and you can jump on 3 or 4 houses and rides before the lines fill up. Mark the houses or rides you really want to do before hand and go there first. Harry Potter ride is probably the first thing you should go to. After about 20 minutes the wait time will be over an hour. PM me if you want any other info. Have fun.
Last year, they didn't even have the new Potter expansion open to the public during HHN. If they do this year, it will be a godsend because it will siphon some of the traffic away from the houses, so you might have a fighting chance. Last year, I went on a Sunday night in September (lowest admission price of the season) and within an hour of arrival was staring at 90-100 minute waits for pretty much every house. I think I saw 4 or 5 of the 8 and just said to hell with it. Even the non-HHN attractions like Transformers 3D had 45-60 minute waits. They really need to spread it over two parks again, I went 6 or 7 years in a row but after last year, swore it off until they do 2 parks again. I may actually make the extra hour drive and go to Howl-O-Cream at BG this year instead.

roarlions said:
JShare87 said:
roarlions said:
Last year, they didn't even have the new Potter expansion open to the public during HHN. If they do this year, it will be a godsend because it will siphon some of the traffic away from the houses, so you might have a fighting chance. Last year, I went on a Sunday night in September (lowest admission price of the season) and within an hour of arrival was staring at 90-100 minute waits for pretty much every house. I think I saw 4 or 5 of the 8 and just said to hell with it. Even the non-HHN attractions like Transformers 3D had 45-60 minute waits. They really need to spread it over two parks again, I went 6 or 7 years in a row but after last year, swore it off until they do 2 parks again. I may actually make the extra hour drive and go to Howl-O-Cream at BG this year instead.
I could have edited this typo, but I think I'll leave it. :lol:

Here's the link to where I found the touring plan last year, it will probably go up for this year sometime in September. It's not gospel, but they chart the lines at each house and come up with ways for you to flow against the bulk of the guests at least for certain portions of the night. Even with a lineskipper pass, this may be your best bet to see all the houses before closing :

http://orlandoinformer.com/page/articles.html

roarlions said:
JShare87 said:
roarlions said:
Universal Studios only, it's not in Islands of Adventure currently. The park does close at a certain time and then re-open for those with HHN tickets. If you have both a regular daily park admission and a HHN ticket, you can stay in the park, they corral you into a few designated waiting areas. That's the way to go if you can swing it because they'll release you before they open the main gate to HHN-only ticketholders, so you can knock out a house or two before the madding crowds descend. This is key these days because even on what they consider off-nights, you'll be waiting 90 minutes to get into a house by mid-evening. I recommend posting up about an hour before US closes at Finnegan's. They have seats, beer, A/C, and decent food - four things you won't have if you're stuck waiting an hour outdoors.

Houses are large, elaborate haunts built up that you walk through. The scare zones are just scattered throughout the park as you walk from attraction to attraction, you can walk through those as often as you want. As I mentioned, lines for the houses get really long, so it's usually better to see those very early and very late and see the shows, ride the rides, see the scarezones during the middle of the night. Your only hope of getting into all the houses is to have a regular Studios ticket and get the early entry to a few houses and then follow an online plan to avoid the bulk of the crowds (there are sites dedicated to this) or to buy a lineskipper add-on. These are often as much as the regular ticket, but if you can afford it, do it. The crowds are insane there now. And also, don't even think of going on a Friday or Saturday night.
Also, I can't stress the bolded enough. You can even make reservations at Finnegan's on opentable for the time period between park closing and early entry to HHN, but you'd better do it MONTHS ahead of time because those in the know will snap those tables up in the bat of an eyelash as soon as they're available. If you can get one, you can grab a beer and a bite while sitting in air conditioned comfort while the unwashed sit and roast in the Florida late day sun. Then, later when all those people are getting a late dinner, you're free to see the attraction(s) you paid for.

+1 on recharging at Finnegan's if you have a park ticket for the day and a HHN admission. You'll want to spend the down time off your feet in climate control. Finnegan's has the added bonus of being deep inside the park so you can get a head start on folks at the gate when HHN opens. Kinda cool to see the onslaught of people from inside when the park reopens, too.

Thanks to both of you for the info. We are planning to arrive on Sat. afternoon so we will skip HHN that night and add it on to Sunday instead. May just do a single park ticket for Sat. so we can go to IoA and then do 3 day park to park tickets for the remainder of our stay (if we even spend 3 days in the parks). We are staying on property at one of the "deluxe" hotels so that will give us unlimited express passes for each day. Based on your feedback, it sounds like it might be wise to buy HHN express passes too, depending on how many houses we plan to see.

Thanks for the link Evilgrin, looks like lots of good info. there.

Thanks to both of you for the info. We are planning to arrive on Sat. afternoon so we will skip HHN that night and add it on to Sunday instead. May just do a single park ticket for Sat. so we can go to IoA and then do 3 day park to park tickets for the remainder of our stay (if we even spend 3 days in the parks). We are staying on property at one of the "deluxe" hotels so that will give us unlimited express passes for each day. Based on your feedback, it sounds like it might be wise to buy HHN express passes too, depending on how many houses we plan to see.

Thanks for the link Evilgrin, looks like lots of good info. there.
If the Express passes don't put a severe dent in your budget, do it. You won't regret it. Even the Express lines are long during HHN, without them, they're almost unbearable. Some people don't mind as much, for me, waiting 90 minutes in line to walk through a house for 3-5 minutes is nuts.

Three attractions at USF are on the chopping block.

Disaster! - headed for retirement; an unspecified Fast & Furious attraction is believed to be I development

Fear Factor theater - zero brand equity, lousy attendance; plans for a proposed HP Ministry of Magic scrapped to shorten the Diagon Alley and Transformers development cycles may be getting dusted off

Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue - probably has one year max left in its current spot, show might come back periodically as a seasonal pop-up, but ideas are being pitched for what to do with that park space

Also, I can't stress the bolded enough. You can even make reservations at Finnegan's on opentable for the time period between park closing and early entry to HHN, but you'd better do it MONTHS ahead of time because those in the know will snap those tables up in the bat of an eyelash as soon as they're available. If you can get one, you can grab a beer and a bite while sitting in air conditioned comfort while the unwashed sit and roast in the Florida late day sun. Then, later when all those people are getting a late dinner, you're free to see the attraction(s) you paid for.
Took our trip to Universal Orlando last week and had a great time. Wanted to say thanks again to those who recommended Finnegan's on the afternoon before we did HHN. We got a reservation for 3:15, had late lunch/early dinner, and hung out at our table until 5:30. Went outside into the holding area and were released around 5:45. Had HHN express passes and knocked off our first 2 houses by 6:30, finished the next 2 houses by 7:30. My wife only wanted to do those 4 houses so I we watched the show featuring Jack, the master of ceremonies for this year, and then I did another house on my own. Don't think we waited more than about 15 minutes at any of the houses we went to thanks to the express passes. Hung around for a while at various scare zones and then headed back to Portofino Bay Hotel around 10:15, after a long day.

Really liked Portofino Bay and loved the short boat ride from the hotel to City Walk and back each day, way better than the Disney bus rides. Besides Finnegan's, we ate at Bubba Gumps, Emeril's, and the new NBC Grill and Bar.

Thumbs up to Escape from Gringotts, Diagon Alley, and Knockturn Alley.

Took our trip to Universal Orlando last week and had a great time. Wanted to say thanks again to those who recommended Finnegan's on the afternoon before we did HHN. We got a reservation for 3:15, had late lunch/early dinner, and hung out at our table until 5:30. Went outside into the holding area and were released around 5:45. Had HHN express passes and knocked off our first 2 houses by 6:30, finished the next 2 houses by 7:30. My wife only wanted to do those 4 houses so I we watched the show featuring Jack, the master of ceremonies for this year, and then I did another house on my own. Don't think we waited more than about 15 minutes at any of the houses we went to thanks to the express passes. Hung around for a while at various scare zones and then headed back to Portofino Bay Hotel around 10:15, after a long day.

Really liked Portofino Bay and loved the short boat ride from the hotel to City Walk and back each day, way better than the Disney bus rides. Besides Finnegan's, we ate at Bubba Gumps, Emeril's, and the new NBC Grill and Bar.

Thumbs up to Escape from Gringotts, Diagon Alley, and Knockturn Alley.
The way you did it is literally the only way to really enjoy it any more. Without early entry and express passes, you spend the entire night standing on line and have next to no chance of visiting all 8 (?) houses. 10-15 years ago, I had annual passes to IoA and US and could go to the park during the day on a Sunday, have dinner at Finnegan's, get the early entry and go through all 8 houses by 9:00-10:00, even without the Express pass. 10-15 minute waits tops. Now, forget that plan. You need a regular US ticket, HHN ticket, and Express pass to get to all the houses in one night, so you're looking at $250-$300 a person all in not counting parking, food, beverages, etc. F---that noise. I can take a 3-day cruise to the Bahamas over a weekend for the same money as spending 1 day at Universal.

The whole thing is a victim of its own success.

Express is the only way to do HHN (if you can swing it). We hit every house, waited an average of 10 minutes in line. This was our second year doing HHN with our son who loves horror as much as we do (he is 10 but can handle all of it and loves it). We go the second Thursday (2 years in a row we did this) it is open. We stayed at the Cabana Bay Beach Resort and it was a excellent experience. We also got early entry since we were staying on property so we hit the Insiduios house first before starting to use our fast pass and only waited 20 minutes and then we were able to hit another house without using our fast pass. The express pas is only good for each house once. But by the time your done with all the houses, having some drinks and eating as well you will have taken in the entire experience and not be wiped out standing around in lines. It really is the best way to enjoy HHN.

Can't wait till next years!!!

Express is the only way to do HHN (if you can swing it). We hit every house, waited an average of 10 minutes in line. This was our second year doing HHN with our son who loves horror as much as we do (he is 10 but can handle all of it and loves it). We go the second Thursday (2 years in a row we did this) it is open. We stayed at the Cabana Bay Beach Resort and it was a excellent experience. We also got early entry since we were staying on property so we hit the Insiduios house first before starting to use our fast pass and only waited 20 minutes and then we were able to hit another house without using our fast pass. The express pas is only good for each house once. But by the time your done with all the houses, having some drinks and eating as well you will have taken in the entire experience and not be wiped out standing around in lines. It really is the best only way to enjoy HHN.

Can't wait till next years!!!
It's such a well done attraction. I've never attended a Halloween event that's even in the same league.

Only complaint we had was that after a couple of hours we were sick of hearing the fake chainsaw noise coming from the roaming clowns in the scare zones. Due to the cost we probably wouldn't do it again, but it was cool doing it for the 25th anniversary of HHN.

Only complaint we had was that after a couple of hours we were sick of hearing the fake chainsaw noise coming from the roaming clowns in the scare zones. Due to the cost we probably wouldn't do it again, but it was cool doing it for the 25th anniversary of HHN.
The year before they had the Purge in the streets instead of a house (and I hope they go back to that next year as the house was the weakest one of all). It was really amazing.

I agree with Evilgrin72. It's the best Halloween event in the country bar none. So well produced and thought out to a tee.

Looking for updated information/tips on visiting Universal Orlando, both parks there (I know there is a water park there opening this Summer too, but we are only interested in the two amusement parks).

My family (2 adults, 2 teens) are planning on a one day visit on Sunday June 18th to the park(s).  We have very little leeway on time, so Sunday is really our only option for the park(s) Is doing the Park-to-Park admission doable in a day, or should we just stick to choosing one park?  Does anyone that's been there recommend the Express Pass if only doing one day as well?  Where is the best place to get discounted tickets (if at all)?

Looking for updated information/tips on visiting Universal Orlando, both parks there (I know there is a water park there opening this Summer too, but we are only interested in the two amusement parks).

My family (2 adults, 2 teens) are planning on a one day visit on Sunday June 18th to the park(s).  We have very little leeway on time, so Sunday is really our only option for the park(s) Is doing the Park-to-Park admission doable in a day, or should we just stick to choosing one park?  Does anyone that's been there recommend the Express Pass if only doing one day as well?  Where is the best place to get discounted tickets (if at all)?
We just went this spring and you can definately do both parks in one day with the Express Pass.  We bought the Express Pass and it saved a ton of time in lines and was well worth it imo.  We bought our tickets online I believe.  

We just went this spring and you can definately do both parks in one day with the Express Pass.  We bought the Express Pass and it saved a ton of time in lines and was well worth it imo.  We bought our tickets online I believe.  
Can you get tickets cheaper than the regular $190 price online somewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread