What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unofficial fifth pick thread (1 Viewer)

Buddy of mine drafted last night. 12 team, non-ppr - 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR/TE flex. Here is his team - didn't listen to me and took Brees in the 2nd. Could have had D. Thomas...not a bad team but could have been stronger if he'd waited on a QB.

01.05 RB2 Doug Martin TB/5
02.08 QB2 Drew Brees NO/7
03.05 WR10 Vincent Jackson TB/5
04.08 WR12 Dwayne Bowe KC/10
05.05 WR16 Torrey Smith Bal/8
06.08 WR19 Pierre Garcon Was/5
07.05 RB25 Andre Brown NYG/9
08.08 TE4 Jermichael Finley GB/4
09.05 TE9 Kyle Rudolph Min/5
10.08 QB13 Andy Dalton Cin/12
11.05 DEF5 New England NE/10
12.08 RB38 Danny Woodhead SD/8
13.05 PK8 Matt Bryant Atl/6
14.08 RB42 Jacquizz Rodgers Atl/6
15.05 WR58 Rueben Randle NYG/9
16.08 RB47 Joique Bell Det/9

had my main local on Sat from the 5 spot (don't find out draft order until 10 minutes before we start).

TRich, Spiller, Rice and McCoy were available since someone grabbed Foster at 1.02

There were a couple of cruxes in the draft that I had to navigate and think I was 1 for 2.

12 PPR, Start 2RB/2WR/TE plus QB/D/K. No flex. Bonus for TD length. 1 pt for 5 yards rushing/receiving, 1 pt for 10 yards passing (so lots of points for only 9 starters)

With only 2 RBs to start, it is still important to grab 2 in the first 3 rounds, and I didn't electing DT and Marshall (passed on Bush, CJ, Ridley, Murray, MJD, Wilson and Sproles). I thought Lacy or Vereen would fall and they didn't.

Grabbed Witten at 4.08 and am totally fine with that as DRich came back around (the debate was Witten/DRich/Ryan)

Waited until 7.05 to get Luck, so waiting on QB was totally viable as long as you keep an eye on Teams 1-4, and one team doubled up before I got Luck(!?!)

So after eight rounds had my 1/3/3/1 start that I try to achieve... but the RBs are a pretty sorry lot in round 7+

If you are OK with a Cook/Rudolph/Gresham/Cameron as your starting TE, maybe start 1/4/3/0, but Cameron hasn't made it to the 10th in any redraft I've been in.

The rest of the draft is then getting upside fliers and trading bait.

had my main local on Sat from the 5 spot (don't find out draft order until 10 minutes before we start).

TRich, Spiller, Rice and McCoy were available since someone grabbed Foster at 1.02

Grabbed Witten at 4.08 and am totally fine with that as DRich came back around (the debate was Witten/DRich/Ryan)

Waited until 7.05 to get Luck, so waiting on QB was totally viable as long as you keep an eye on Teams 1-4, and one team doubled up before I got Luck(!?!)

So after eight rounds had my 1/3/3/1 start that I try to achieve... but the RBs are a pretty sorry lot in round 7+

If you are OK with a Cook/Rudolph/Gresham/Cameron as your starting TE, maybe start 1/4/3/0, but Cameron hasn't made it to the 10th in any redraft I've been in.
Thx for sharing a recent draft Sorry if I am missing it, but who did you take Round 1? I am probably between McCoy and Rice. I would even take Foster there if I didn't have him in my other league.(Don't want to be doubly sunk if the injuries do take a toll!)

Would be very happy with Luck/ Richardson 6/7.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thx for sharing a recent draft Sorry if I am missing it, but who did you take Round 1? I am probably between McCoy and Rice. I would even take Foster there if I didn't have him in my other league.(Don't want to be doubly sunk if the injuries do take a toll!)

Would be very happy with Luck/ Richardson 6/7.
Took TRich at 1.05, but the point was you will have many options there to choose from.

DRich was 5.05, Garcon was 6.08 and Luck 7.05.

Loved my first 7 picks, but the RB talent drops off a cliff after the 5th round.

Normally, I wouldn't care, and load up on studs everywhere else, but in this league where you only start 2 WR with no flex, I should have taken another RB in the first 5 rounds. YMMV

That makes sense. The league I've already drafted in is like yours and I did take three RBs by round 5. This one has 2 Flex and receivers will go faster.

Just got the email for my $2500 ffpc league this year and found out that I'll be drafting out of the 5th spot. I'm not thrilled tbh, as I imagine I'll be at the tail end of the RB run and I think the first round RBs are essentially interchangeable. I imagine the play will be to go with a stud WR but I'll be oh so tempted to "reach" for a RB. How have you guys handled the RB runs?

Similar situation, I have the 5th pick in my ME draft. Very likely going CalJo. If he comes off the board before the pick it is Charles or McCoy.

Similar situation, I have the 5th pick in my ME draft. Very likely going CalJo. If he comes off the board before the pick it is Charles or McCoy.
I was talking about the 2nd round when it came to "stud WR or RB reach". VBD says stud WR.

1rst round I'm really hoping McCoy falls to me though.

Take the best player based on VDB. The trend of RBs coming off the board quickly means that will likely be a WR like Julio, AJ, or DT.

I'm in a 2-flex PPR with only 1 RB required to start and they get 0.5 PPR while all others get 1 PPR.

This devalues RBs and in this spot I went Megatron in round 1. Round 2 there is a dilemma if Graham falls to you. Value too hard to pass up but then you end up with only 1 top 20 RB. Then all of your flex will be WRs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread