What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Unread work emails (1 Viewer)

MTskibum

Footballguy
I have 2033 unread emails in my inbox and another 33,000 unread emails in my trash folder.

The moral of this story is if someone sends you an email with 10 people CC'd it is alright to delete people from the CC line in many cases. Not only that if you send an email with 10+ people on it then people are not sure who should all take action on it.

/rant

I have 2033 unread emails in my inbox and another 33,000 unread emails in my trash folder.

The moral of this story is if someone sends you an email with 10 people CC'd it is alright to delete people from the CC line in many cases. Not only that if you send an email with 10+ people on it then people are not sure who should all take action on it.

/rant
This technically isn't true. When I'm CC'd on an email with 10 other people I know exactly who should take action on it: one of the other nine people, not me.

/rant
I'm guessing the IT group would come up with a different moral. Probably related to how frequently trash folders should be emptied.

I don't think my OCD could ever let this happen. There was a time when my inbox would be 0 by Friday afternoon each week. It hasn't been in about 15-18 months, but the times when it was in the hundreds would stress me out all weekend. I think I'm starting to come to terms with my 30-60 reality, but I still sit down about 3 pm each Friday and try to get down to 0 anyway.

In our company if you are CC'd you are NOT expected to take action. You are on the email for information purposes only. If you are in the BCC section, well that is because the sender is doing some shady stuff and wants to fill you in on the dirt. All established company policy.

I don't think my OCD could ever let this happen. There was a time when my inbox would be 0 by Friday afternoon each week. It hasn't been in about 15-18 months, but the times when it was in the hundreds would stress me out all weekend. I think I'm starting to come to terms with my 30-60 reality, but I still sit down about 3 pm each Friday and try to get down to 0 anyway.
I'm worse than you. I refuse to have unread emails. I read them as soon as I'm able (meaning, while I'm awake). I either respond, forward, file, or delete (or some combo of those). SOMETHING is going to happen with it as soon as I see it. I refuse to have something hanging over my head like that. Having 2,000 unread emails would make what's left of my sanity go away.

I have zero unread emails anywhere in my email and only 13 in my inbox with another 10 in my "To-do" folder which I typically clear out by the end of every day.

Then again, I'm almost never pulled into meetings and am allowed to just take care of my work all day so I can review emails at least once an hour.

I always at least mark as read on all emails. Only way I can keep track of the ones I need to pay attention too. I have a ton of rules and filters set up to push the non essential emails to folders So I can review them later if needed. But I can't consider my day done if I still have an unread email.

Upon reading the OP, I checked mine. I have about 7500 unread emails in my inbox, and about 3300 unread emails in the trash. I rarely/never hard delete emails. Fairly often I need to go back and figure out how/why we did something a certain way 10+ years ago. And if IT ever complained that I have too many emails, I'd tell them to buy more storage space. Of course, we're an IT company and host our own email services so...don't try that at home, kids!

I'm worse than you. I refuse to have unread emails. I read them as soon as I'm able (meaning, while I'm awake). I either respond, forward, file, or delete (or some combo of those). SOMETHING is going to happen with it as soon as I see it. I refuse to have something hanging over my head like that. Having 2,000 unread emails would make what's left of my sanity go away.
:goodposting:

I’m a minimalist so I only keep those emails in the inbox which involve outstanding tasks. I keep all client-specific emails well organized in folders which I never have to look at I don’t want to. Most of my company-specific emails are automatically filtered to the trash unless they’re sent directly to me.

Last edited:
KISS should be ineligible for this every other music related draft or list forever just because they're KISS.

/rant
This technically isn't true. When I'm CC'd on an email with 10 other people I know exactly who should take action on it: one of the other nine people, not me.
The worst are the co-workers who don't have the sense to remove people from the CC who don't need to be on every email.

For example, we will sometimes get an email to our company about an issue. As one of a handful of account managers, I always check to see whose issue it is. If it is mine, I will email just our company and say I will reply to it and then remove everyone in our company from the reply except the people who also need to be on the email chain (like the sales guy whose account it is or the fellow account manager who backs me up). There are a few account managers who will just reply to all and then we are all on 13 emails in the next 20 minutes that we have nothing to do with, simply because they were too lazy to take us out. Considering I get anywhere from 200-400 emails a day, and they can come across fast and furious when it's busy, that can be pretty frustrating.

I have zero unread emails anywhere in my email and only 13 in my inbox with another 10 in my "To-do" folder which I typically clear out by the end of every day.

Then again, I'm almost never pulled into meetings and am allowed to just take care of my work all day so I can review emails at least once an hour.
At the end of the workday this past Friday I had 2 emails in my inbox, both read, but need follow-up's on Monday.

Anytime I'm sharing my screen, and happen to have my inbox showing, I always get "is that really your inbox?" :shock:

I explain that for many years now I treat my inbox like our mailbox at home.
You don't open the mailbox at home, read the mail, and put it back in the mailbox and so that is the way I manage my inbox.
I reply as soon as I can to emails as they come in, if needed, and delete or file away into a folder.

I get anywhere from 20 to 50 emails a day and if I end the day with more than 10 emails in my inbox it drives me nuts..
The first thing I do in the morning is reply to any leftover emails and clean house.
I Never leave Fridays with more than 5.

I hate having unread emails in any of my mailbox folders. Sometimes things like calendar updates get sent directly to Trash for some reason, so seeing an unread notification on my Trash folder alerts me that I need to check it. I typically read emails as soon as they come in to assess if they need immediate attention. I delete the useless ones, file the ones that need no action in the appropriate project folder, and keep any that need action in my inbox until completed. I usually have 5 to 20 emails awaiting action at any given time, but it is a great feeling when I can empty my inbox.

I’m usually pretty compulsive about clutter, but it doesn’t apply to email. Currently, I have 23,524 unread emails. I’ve deleted only a handful of emails since I created the account in 2004. And I have 2 other accounts.

I read everything that comes from an actual person. I don’t read everything that comes from an automated sender, and because I’m a journalist I get a lot of those. So I have tons of unread emails from automated senders that I will never do anything about. There are days where if I have time I will read and/or delete recent messages from automated senders, but if I don’t have time or am away, I just leave them in my inbox unread. No one at my company has ever complained about this.

Most of my inbox in a given week are just items someone else on my staff needs to do, but I either haven't added to my onenote or hope I don't have to. I thought about this thread Friday and made decisions on more emails than usual though. I whittled down to 17 and only 8 of them are my action items.

KISS should be ineligible for this every other music related draft or list forever just because they're KISS.

/rant
The worst are the co-workers who don't have the sense to remove people from the CC who don't need to be on every email.
Is that like not removing unnecessary posts in the insert quotes function? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread