What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UPDATE: So I think I may have lung cancer (1 Viewer)

I had an uncle recently pass with the same condition. I am very sorry to hear about this. Stay strong, you can beat this.

Appreciate all the support from a solid bunch of FBG's. I had one chemo so far and tolerated it well: Only tired more than usual, but I am thankful to have my appetite back for the first time in more than over 2 months. Someone asked me about wife and kids? Me and the wife were separated (still are) but she has been exceptionally supportive and was there just about every day when I was in the hospital. I also have a 22 year old daughter (2 year old grandson), and 18 year old son graduating in a couple weeks.

I will update as I can...

I read the OP and update. No words of sympathy can mean much unfortunately. But, to piggyback on your words a little, if I may:

A family friend of ours just passed a week ago. She was diagnosed with cancer, not sure which kind, but it was fatal (not curable). And the doctors gave her 6-18 months. She passed 5 months after this news not quite making the 6 months. She passed on leaving a loving husband, a five year old daughter and a two year old son. She was 30 years old.

All I can say is to cherish the time you have and do whatever you need to and want to.

I was never able to ask her but I will throw it your way instead. And, it's not because this question was in City of Angels or anything like that but, what are you going to miss the most when the inevitable occurs (of what you know now)? And, what are you going to miss the most (the known but unknown right now)?

Appreciate all the support from a solid bunch of FBG's. I had one chemo so far and tolerated it well: Only tired more than usual, but I am thankful to have my appetite back for the first time in more than over 2 months. Someone asked me about wife and kids? Me and the wife were separated (still are) but she has been exceptionally supportive and was there just about every day when I was in the hospital. I also have a 22 year old daughter (2 year old grandson), and 18 year old son graduating in a couple weeks.I will update as I can...
Thanks for sharing your story and updates with us. Glad to hear you tolerated the first treatment well.

Thoughts and Prayers. Best wishes.

There's only one thing left to do. Kick it's ###.

I remember reading this thread when you first started it. I was hoping that you wouldn't update it in the way that you did. Will be thinking about you and staying tuned in to this thread; please update it when you can and let us know if there is anything that this iCommunity can do for you.

I remember reading this thread when you first started it. I was hoping that you wouldn't update it in the way that you did. Will be thinking about you and staying tuned in to this thread; please update it when you can and let us know if there is anything that this iCommunity can do for you.
I remember reading it too and hoping the same thing. I'm sorry about your diagnosis, enfuego. As you said it is good that the cancer hasn't metastasized to other parts of your body. Your positive attitude and fighting spirit can work wonders for you, and treatments keep advancing for cancer so there is that hope, and who knows maybe you'll be the one they find a cure with or that freak of nature they have no explanation for. However long you have left on your journey if you have any grudges let them go, and let love in as it will be a great source of strength. Be at peace with yourself and others...it's good for your soul. Let that fighting spirit soar...T & P and Well Wishes to you, enfuego. P.S. if you lose your hair to the chemo, i recommend this wig --> :fro: nothing says "i'm a groovy badass m'er f'er" better than a fro.

Hfs.

So sorry to hear this- but am so inspired by your proactiveness, determination, good spirits and message.

Kick this thing's ###, en fuego- we're all with and supporting you..

Good lord. I cant even imagine what you feel like. That kicked me in the gut when I read it. Stay strong. Fight like hell. I'm praying for you, GB.

Sorry to hear about this, buddy. Thoughts are with you and your family. Fight it strong and cherish every day.

Looking forward to the post where you tell us you're cancer-free and ready to live out the rest of your days without pain or treatment. Forget "the odds", a true FBG doesn't succumb to cancer, he laughs in the face of death!

Stay positive and keep us updated on your speedy and certain recovery. My thoughts are with you, man.

Looking forward to the post where you tell us you're cancer-free and ready to live out the rest of your days without pain or treatment. Forget "the odds", a true FBG doesn't succumb to cancer, he laughs in the face of death!Stay positive and keep us updated on your speedy and certain recovery. My thoughts are with you, man.
To piggy back on EG's sentiments, I am looking forward to hearing about how a "healthy and happy" you is knocking chicks left and right as a new member of the singles scene.Good luck and win the little battles.

Looking forward to the post where you tell us you're cancer-free and ready to live out the rest of your days without pain or treatment. Forget "the odds", a true FBG doesn't succumb to cancer, he laughs in the face of death!Stay positive and keep us updated on your speedy and certain recovery. My thoughts are with you, man.
#### yeah :thumbup:

Thoughts and prayers, enfuego.

I can't imagine what you must be feeling, let alone thinking, but your attitude and strength are an inspiration. Good luck and, as others have state, I hope the end of this thread is you updating it that you are cancer-free.

FBGs don't "get" cancer, cancer get's FBGs.

So sorry to hear this amigo. I hate cancer with a passion. It truly doesn't discriminate and this could happen to all of us. As we grow older we all have loved ones that have to fight cancer, if not ourselves. One of my best friends passed away last year due to brain cancer. We got heavily involved with Relay for Life and various Hospice groups because of it, which was a great experience in an otherwise tough situation.

I'm in the healthcare software business. There are lots of tools out there for your disposal. Here is a great site where you can learn from the care plans, clinical trials and experiences of others with your condition.

Patients Like Me

Thoughts and prayers are with you EF. I know you'll give it everything you've got. Statistics are just statistics, there are always outliers. Best wishes that your treatment goes well.

Enfuego, don't give up hope. I'm rooting for you. Turmeric (one of the spices used to make curry) together with black pepper is helpful in fighting cancer but I'm not sure if it impacts the effectiveness of chemotherapy.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear this amigo. I hate cancer with a passion. It truly doesn't discriminate and this could happen to all of us. As we grow older we all have loved ones that have to fight cancer, if not ourselves. One of my best friends passed away last year due to brain cancer. We got heavily involved with Relay for Life and various Hospice groups because of it, which was a great experience in an otherwise tough situation.

I'm in the healthcare software business. There are lots of tools out there for your disposal. Here is a great site where you can learn from the care plans, clinical trials and experiences of others with your condition.

Patients Like Me

Thoughts and prayers are with you EF. I know you'll give it everything you've got. Statistics are just statistics, there are always outliers. Best wishes that your treatment goes well.
Patients Like Me looks interesting. I signed up and will utilize when possible. Next chemo is scheduled for this Wednesday. Otherwise, I have been feeling good.

Sorry to hear about this. Just to echo some others, don't give up the fight and I know we will get the update that you beat this. Definitely check out clinicaltrials.gov, there is a ton of research going on with non-small cell lung cancer. First glance I see about 600 trials. Most are for specific subsets, but check with your doctor if you qualify. My company is running a few of them, PM me if you would like. NSCLC isn't my specialty, but I could try to help.

Patients Like Me

Patients Like Me looks interesting. I signed up and will utilize when possible. Next chemo is scheduled for this Wednesday. Otherwise, I have been feeling good.
Hope you did well today, GB :thumbup:

Did they diagnose it as "lung cancer" or "mesothelioma"?

I only ask because we are going through this right now with my FIL. He was getting 2-liters at a time drained out of his

lungs for a few months.

They finally diagnosed it as mesothelioma.. It was late Stage one, early stage 2. Surgery was still an option and was scheduled to be done in Boston by Dr. Sugarbaker on May 10th. They were going to remove everything from the diseased side. Lung, lining, everything. Give it a hot chemo bath after, and hopefully make a semi-full recovery and live with one lung.

When he came out of a scheduled 7hr surgery in 2 hours, we knew something was up. Turns out the cancer was attached to the aorta and surgery was too risky. The doctor was still positive and said it was just a "set back".. he scheduled the FIL to come home for chemo in hopes it will shrink it enough or make it release from the aorta and then schedule surgery again. He seemed to think there was a good chance of that happening. The good news was that it hadn't spread or moved into other organs.

I had a thread about it here

Keep up the fight and stay positive...that's what we are doing with the FIL.. keeping him upbeat and fighting. :boxing:

Did they diagnose it as "lung cancer" or "mesothelioma"?

I only ask because we are going through this right now with my FIL. He was getting 2-liters at a time drained out of his

lungs for a few months.

They finally diagnosed it as mesothelioma.. It was late Stage one, early stage 2. Surgery was still an option and was scheduled to be done in Boston by Dr. Sugarbaker on May 10th. They were going to remove everything from the diseased side. Lung, lining, everything. Give it a hot chemo bath after, and hopefully make a semi-full recovery and live with one lung.

When he came out of a scheduled 7hr surgery in 2 hours, we knew something was up. Turns out the cancer was attached to the aorta and surgery was too risky. The doctor was still positive and said it was just a "set back".. he scheduled the FIL to come home for chemo in hopes it will shrink it enough or make it release from the aorta and then schedule surgery again. He seemed to think there was a good chance of that happening. The good news was that it hadn't spread or moved into other organs.

I had a thread about it here

Keep up the fight and stay positive...that's what we are doing with the FIL.. keeping him upbeat and fighting. :boxing:
See his post on page 1: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=634761&view=findpost&p=14355728

Patients Like Me

Did/do you smoke?

I wish you the best of luck in your battle with this affliction. Stay strong and positive brother. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

I wish you the best of luck in your battle with this affliction. Stay strong and positive brother. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Patients Like Me

Did/do you smoke?
I take this seriously as I understand the seriousness of the subject and personally knowing people who have been affected by lung cancer. In fact, my Dad, was a smoker for 25 years. He quit smoking then was diagnosed with lung cancer 20 years later. He went through a round of chemo before having surgery a couple weeks ago.

The rub here is I have never smoked cigarettes. I only did pot a few times in my teens and recently again late last year.

Back again to post another update. It appears the chemo is working. I go in again mid-week for another round (3 of 4). While I do have some coughing on occasion, I have been able to be off oxygen during the day. I still have reduced lung capacity and get winded if I try to do too much activity. The doctors said they will do a scan after all chemos are complete and have a chance to work. The one thing I did notice after the last round was increased nausea, both intensity and length of time. A friend told me THC was good for those symptoms. I actually did some research and found some interesting reports about reduced nausea + a phagocytosis effect in some patients. I will bring it up at my next appointment. Of course, I wouldn't want to derail any positive mix I currently have.

I appreciate all the well wishes from the TFBG collective. Positive thoughts, support from family and friends, along with lots of prayer, bring me confidence that I can beat this...

Back again to post another update. It appears the chemo is working. I go in again mid-week for another round (3 of 4). While I do have some coughing on occasion, I have been able to be off oxygen during the day. I still have reduced lung capacity and get winded if I try to do too much activity. The doctors said they will do a scan after all chemos are complete and have a chance to work. The one thing I did notice after the last round was increased nausea, both intensity and length of time. A friend told me THC was good for those symptoms. I actually did some research and found some interesting reports about reduced nausea + a phagocytosis effect in some patients. I will bring it up at my next appointment. Of course, I wouldn't want to derail any positive mix I currently have. I appreciate all the well wishes from the TFBG collective. Positive thoughts, support from family and friends, along with lots of prayer, bring me confidence that I can beat this...
That's wonderful news. So happy to hear.

Back again to post another update. It appears the chemo is working. I go in again mid-week for another round (3 of 4). While I do have some coughing on occasion, I have been able to be off oxygen during the day. I still have reduced lung capacity and get winded if I try to do too much activity. The doctors said they will do a scan after all chemos are complete and have a chance to work. The one thing I did notice after the last round was increased nausea, both intensity and length of time. A friend told me THC was good for those symptoms. I actually did some research and found some interesting reports about reduced nausea + a phagocytosis effect in some patients. I will bring it up at my next appointment. Of course, I wouldn't want to derail any positive mix I currently have. I appreciate all the well wishes from the TFBG collective. Positive thoughts, support from family and friends, along with lots of prayer, bring me confidence that I can beat this...
GLGB. And THC can be ingested if you are worried about the seeming contradiction of smoking to help with something that is usually caused by smoking.

Great to hear and love the positive attitude...keep it up and beat it! (OK, that didn't sound right)

It can help to have a small treat to look forward to after chemo. Something like a movie rental or a new book.

Good luck.

What anti naseau meds are you taking? I was on Zofran after chemo and it worked like a champ. I was also smoking a little for appetite and sickness, it helped out.

Users who are viewing this thread