What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (2 Viewers)

Has anyone gotten/tried the Dawn of Ragnarok expansion on Valhalla?  

Part of me feels like I'm missing out, Part of me feels like I'm burnt out on AC for a bit.  

I didn't game much outside of sports games for a long time.  So I've been kind of going back and picking up some of the stuff I missed out on.  

I bought Elden Ring the other day and it took a bit of time to install.  I had previously just barely started Batman Arkham Assylum.  So I decided to dabble in it while Elden Ring installed.  Got hooked.  Binged it over 3 days.  Fun stuff.  

All of the talk about how hard Elden Ring is gives me some pause, but it seems like the most talked about game in a long time.  Gonna give it a go.

I didn't game much outside of sports games for a long time.  So I've been kind of going back and picking up some of the stuff I missed out on.  

I bought Elden Ring the other day and it took a bit of time to install.  I had previously just barely started Batman Arkham Assylum.  So I decided to dabble in it while Elden Ring installed.  Got hooked.  Binged it over 3 days.  Fun stuff.  

All of the talk about how hard Elden Ring is gives me some pause, but it seems like the most talked about game in a long time.  Gonna give it a go.
Man the batman games are awesome.   Finish that first than elden ring.   My opinion.   Elden ring will take over your life in a good way

Just played Arkham Asylum last Spring. PSN had the whole trilogy for $18 so I said why not. Very fun, and I've heard it gets better with the last two which I've yet to start. Heard those are a bit more open-world. But loved the fighting system.

Just played Arkham Asylum last Spring. PSN had the whole trilogy for $18 so I said why not. Very fun, and I've heard it gets better with the last two which I've yet to start. Heard those are a bit more open-world. But loved the fighting system.
Im in the minority but I liked Asylum best. It was a perfect game. The others felt like bloated versions of the same experience. YMMV.

Part of me feels like I'm missing out, Part of me feels like I'm burnt out on AC for a bit.  
Its downloaded because it was part of the sale when I bought Valhalla - I accidentally started it and immediately was murdered lol  ----  im still a far ways of getting there

I have it on my list but after spending 150hrs with Eivor I need a decently long break, so I totally get that. Might be a fall play since I have HFW in line after I finish Elden Ring, which I have close to 100 hours in already and only 10% complete with the story :lmao:

MLB the Show 22 dropped this week, I actually got the more expensive version and have been playing since Friday.  I love the game, it's by far my favorite sports game.  Changes to Diamond Dynasty (think EA Ultimate Team) this year I don't love yet.  Time will tell.  

I am still mostly just playing NES Tetris. The million point game is within my skill level, I just need to put the game together
My cousin was like a savant with this game. Very weird how good he was at it considering he doesn’t even play video games. 

I have played games pretty much my entire life and have beaten many games that others say are hard (such a deadly towers, ghost and goblins, contra without dying, but I’ve never come close to beating him in Tetris.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I need a break from Valhalla.... Like the game but getting a tad monotonous.   I have about 35-40 hours in.

Is the show worth it this year?  Every year I get it then stop playing quickly

I'm still mostly dabbling in some slightly older stuff.

Got a deal on Arkham Knight--the ultimate edition/platinum edition/whatever for 8$ on the PS store.

GTA V for PS5 was 10$ on the PS store.  Gonna finish up GTA IV and get to going on 5.  

I'm still mostly dabbling in some slightly older stuff.

Got a deal on Arkham Knight--the ultimate edition/platinum edition/whatever for 8$ on the PS store.

GTA V for PS5 was 10$ on the PS store.  Gonna finish up GTA IV and get to going on 5.  
You haven't played GTA V yet?? Brother, you are in for a damn treat. One of only 2 games (along with Skyrim) over the past 2 console generations that I've played thru more than once. It's an amazing experience.

I have been playing Gran Turismo 7 on PS5 with a Logitech g29 wheel and it been a great game.

I am trying to get good enough to not be an embarrassment online, but I am not even close. I get destroyed every time I play online  :no:

I have been playing Gran Turismo 7 on PS5 with a Logitech g29 wheel and it been a great game.

I am trying to get good enough to not be an embarrassment online, but I am not even close. I get destroyed every time I play online  :no:
I'm trying to get my Xbox wheel 923 to work on my PS5 like I did with PS4... No dice so far

So after posting I hopped down stairs and forgot I bought a PS4 wired controller to try to fool my steering wheel adapter. I stopped trying because I didn't have a game.

Fired up gt7 and worked like a champ.

:excited:

So after posting I hopped down stairs and forgot I bought a PS4 wired controller to try to fool my steering wheel adapter. I stopped trying because I didn't have a game.

Fired up gt7 and worked like a champ.

:excited:

How far are you in the game?

I have been playing Fortnite with my son and nephew now that they have come out with the zero build mode.  I played a little when it first came out, but couldn't stand when people would spam build while you're trying to shoot them point blank with a shotgun.  I play on a controller and I just couldn't keep up with the kids on M&K with builds.  I forgot how much fun the Battle Royale game type was.  I typically like non-stop action, run & gun fps, but exploring/ scavenging can be entertaining as well.  I was holding off on introducing my son to warzone since he is 10 and that is the most realistic of the shooters, but we may have to give it a try when they drop a new map.  I was hoping halo would have a Battle Royale, but so far it's just speculation.

How far are you in the game?
Not very. I haven't played a GT in a long time, so I'm not sure how progress works. I have my B license and just been doing the cafe stuff.  Now I have the wheel working I might get back on it

Was playing the new MLB the show and the NBA2K sucked me in again but I bought it on sale and glad to say I haven't spent a single dime on VC. Got the new WWE2K22 game which is much better then the older games already 

However PS+ had a sale going on for Batman games and got the Arkam Asylum and Return to Arkam City bundle and I don't know why anyone didn't get me start playing these games sooner. Asylum was ok and a good introductory to the game. I've played a few other batman games before but this was easy to get into. Nice story but not sure if I'd play it again. 

Remastered Return to Arkam City is amazing. My favorite Villian Two-Face in the opening scenes? Sold. Gameplay and graphics look good too. Navigating is a bit weird but I love the narrative discussions on possible moves and all. Only just got into Arkam City play wise last night. 

Bought returnal on ps5

visually stunning 

I can see why people could be turned off from playing this or Elden Ring. But the pay off when you beat a level is so great.

Took me about a month and a half, but finally finished Control. Awesome story concept. Gameplay was pretty fun, nothing revolutionary, but fun. Ending was a bit weak, but otherwise very enjoyable game.

And again, I loved the idea of the story. Weird, powerful objects and energies conflicting with what we think we know about the universe. I've thought about that kinda stuff a lot, so pretty dope to see a game actually made about it in a fully fleshed out story.

Would not be mad at all if they made a sequel.

Didn’t you binge play this and beat it in like a week? 

It took longer then a week. 198 hours. I paid $60 and usually finish what I start. Like I said it's OK but I have no desire to replay it anytime soon. Games like Dragon Age, Mass Effect,  AC Odyssey, HZD are the types I enjoy and have replayed multiple times.

A little late here but PSN Plus had a deal on the trilogy. I finished the 1st 2 and saw the new game that is based on the story from the Arkam Knight totally forgot about it and started playing the other night. Really love these games and not sure why I didn't play them sooner over the yrs. They really should've gotten more hype. Arkam City is a bit more open world but Arkam Knight you play in Gotham with the Map even bigger plus you get to play in the Batmobile. I started playing these last month or so. 

About to finish 100% on HFW. 84 hours of gametime. Phenomenal game. Phenomenal experience.

Not sure if I'm ready for Elden Ring

It took me 105 hours (across 11 weeks of gameplay because I get only a couple hours per day to play) to beat Horizon Forbidden West, and I have only 75 percent completion. (I didn't do the arenas or those challenges where you have to beat the machines under a certain time.) I loved it. Such a great game. 

It took me 105 hours (across 11 weeks of gameplay because I get only a couple hours per day to play) to beat Horizon Forbidden West, and I have only 75 percent completion. (I didn't do the arenas or those challenges where you have to beat the machines under a certain time.) I loved it. Such a great game. 
No clue what percentage I was but I never try for 100. The only game I came close too was Ghost of Tsushima. I think I was around 50 hours and loved it

No clue what percentage I was but I never try for 100. The only game I came close too was Ghost of Tsushima. I think I was around 50 hours and loved it

For HFW, the game completion percentage is one of the categories under the "Notebook" tab (where you can find all the messages you scan). 

Anyone plan playing the new Diablo mobile game?  I'm thinking about it but want to let some reviews get out there first.  This seems like a game that could be a bust.

Anyone plan playing the new Diablo mobile game?  I'm thinking about it but want to let some reviews get out there first.  This seems like a game that could be a bust.

Screw blizzard for putting out that crap. I like Diablo, I have the platinum trophy in PlayStation for Diablo 3.

But no way will I play a pay to win game.

For those who have played HFW, does the game put you in boss fights where you can’t use the stealth abilities you invested in?

I’ll never forgive zero dawn for this. The games spends the first several hours telling you how to stealth, which I love and built my character around. Then the game suddenly puts you in these boss arenas where stealth is useless. Poor balancing. 

For those who have played HFW, does the game put you in boss fights where you can’t use the stealth abilities you invested in?

I’ll never forgive zero dawn for this. The games spends the first several hours telling you how to stealth, which I love and built my character around. Then the game suddenly puts you in these boss arenas where stealth is useless. Poor balancing. 
I rarely used stealth. Boss fights definitely not stealth. It's not a stealth game. There are bandit camps you can clear using stealth.

HFW was an amazing experience.

I started playing around with Civilization 6 because it seemed like a change of pace from what I'm accustomed to.  I lost my first game because I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing and was mainly just trying to figure out the game mechanics.  Okay, cool, no problem.  So I started another game on the easiest difficulty level, and even then I just barely managed to eke out a win with only like 25 turns remaining (this is a very long game, so that felt like a skin-of-my-teeth victory).  

This is fun, but I realize now that not only am I new to this game, I'm new to this entire genre.  I had never even heard of a "4X game" before this one.  My entire approach was terrible, and I understand some of the reasons why, but I know I'm making massive gameplay errors that I can't even see.  This is both highly motivating to dig into the game more, and also a little demotivating because the games are just so long.  

I started playing around with Civilization 6 because it seemed like a change of pace from what I'm accustomed to.  I lost my first game because I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing and was mainly just trying to figure out the game mechanics.  Okay, cool, no problem.  So I started another game on the easiest difficulty level, and even then I just barely managed to eke out a win with only like 25 turns remaining (this is a very long game, so that felt like a skin-of-my-teeth victory).  

This is fun, but I realize now that not only am I new to this game, I'm new to this entire genre.  I had never even heard of a "4X game" before this one.  My entire approach was terrible, and I understand some of the reasons why, but I know I'm making massive gameplay errors that I can't even see.  This is both highly motivating to dig into the game more, and also a little demotivating because the games are just so long.  

You will know if you are doing good or bad pretty quickly in future games. I know if I am having a good game usually by the time i get my 3rd or 4th city down.

Obvious tips:

Try to place your cities in good spots at the optimum spacing apart. I personally like to place my cities so they have very little overlap in tiles, however many good players overlap their city tiles more than I do. Try to place near fresh water and resources.

Have a strategy for your civ and how you want to play. I am going to lay out my favorite beginner strategy, but it requires the chinese semi-close to a desert(ideally with hills/river).

For example the Chinese can pump out early wonders by using worker build actions, and then you can throw down the pyramids fast using worker build action. The pyramids gives you a free super worker when you complete it. At this point in the game you have by far the best workers, so your towns will be improved at the highest rate, which gives them good growth.

Since you are also near the desert and able to quickly build wonders having a "Petra" city gives you a city that will be in the running for most production in the game.

With this strategy you are trying to win via production and you will fall behind in science, economics, and culture in the early game, but that does not matter. Once your worker improved cities come online then you can catch up.

There are similar mini-strategies with all of the other civ's. Forcing everyone to be in Tundra and playing as the Russians is another good beginner way to play the game.

Lastly,

You might want to check out the very early game and look how the best players are spending their first few turns. There is no consensus on the best build order, however you can eliminate the "bad" choices like building a monument in the capital.

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/77s3ul/civ6_deity_starting_build_order/

Lastly,

You might want to check out the very early game and look how the best players are spending their first few turns. There is no consensus on the best build order, however you can eliminate the "bad" choices like building a monument in the capital.

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/77s3ul/civ6_deity_starting_build_order/
Thanks.  Stuff like this is in particular is really helpful.  My understanding of the game is sufficiently weak that I can't even really tell if I'm getting off to a good start or not, but I can see how those very early decisions become incredibly important later on.  

Thanks.  Stuff like this is in particular is really helpful.  My understanding of the game is sufficiently weak that I can't even really tell if I'm getting off to a good start or not, but I can see how those very early decisions become incredibly important later on.  
Civ is a game that honestly you can have two completely different goals on how to play.  Of course, its a game so you can be trying to win in the most dominating, gamey way possible.  Every so often I do that.  But to be honest, I play the game relaxed and just to almost enjoy the journey.  Naturally, there are basic rules and tips, but I just like to live/role-play my civ in the most realistic way I want. Once I learned the basic strategy I just went to Prince/King and have fun taking a Civ through "history".

ETA:  And this guy's videos are great in understanding the basic concepts/strategies.  He's got a lot of them for different CIVs as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62EqRqxnv0

I always stay away from conflict and build my science.   Don't start any wars until you got some tanks and everyone else still riding horses.  Usually win by space race

Users who are viewing this thread