What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vikings-Packers Week (1 Viewer)

griff321

Footballguy
This should be a fun game(slap fight) that's full of dysfunction.

I'm just shocked this thread still hasn't been made yet, but after last weeks games it's easy to see why. Still it's a must win for both teams.

At the very least I'd be in for a sig bet with some GB fans even if the O/U on Favre related turnovers has to be hovering around 5. So whatcha got for me GB fans?

:rolleyes:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id...packers-secrets

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Seven players and one coach remained on the Minnesota Vikings’ practice field Wednesday after their morning walk-through. Defensive backs coach Joe Woods and six cornerbacks stood in a semi-circle around quarterback Brett Favre, who was conducting a demonstration of receiver alignments, quarterback drops and other motions.

National headlines will continue to focus this week on the NFL’s investigation into allegations that he sent inappropriate photographs to a former New York Jets sideline reporter. Were it not for that ongoing story, however, we would all be talking about what could be his final game at Lambeau Field. (Don't forget: Favre has said this will be his last NFL season. Wink, wink.) And despite the investigation and the relative cooling of hostilities surrounding his departure, it was clear Wednesday that he was focused on doing whatever he can to defeat the Green Bay Packers on Sunday night.

Favre said there was "not a lot" of insight he could give the Vikings' defense, but Wednesday’s tutorial appeared intense. Everyone from veteran Antoine Winfield to rookie Chris Cook were riveted for at least 10 minutes after practice
Vikes certainly are focused on this one. Very important. It's great news for the Packers that Matthews is back, especially given the Vikings O-Line has been faltering for the last few years. If Favre doesn't get his act together and start playing like he did last year,(and now that he's had more time with Moss, there's a chance we could see that) the Vikes will not come out of this week with a win.Allen and the D-Line have to step up as well. Without Finley, Rodgers still has weapons. We saw Jennings get back in the game last week, so we can expect Rodgers to do his best to get him involved again this week. It is imperative that the Vikings fire on all cylinders this week because the importance of this game cannot be overstated.

I would love to see Percy Harvin have a career game and I think that between he, Adrian Peterson, and Randy Moss, Favre can get on the ball here against a team he played his heart out against last year.

SKOL VIKINGS!

Simple for me.

If Matthews and Pickett or Neal can go...the Packers have a chance.

Without Matthews they are screwed.

They need to get to Favre as much as possible.

It should help if Harris is able to contribute at all in the secondary too.

Other good news was that Chillar was back at practice. After losing Barnett and Poppinga, we need all the healthy bodies we can get at LB.

Oh, and Rodgers needs to get his head out of his behind and get back to playing well again.

I think both teams are vulnerable to surrendering big plays in the secondary. The Cowboys failed to take advantage of that last week and lost to the Vikings. The Dolphins aggressively attacked the Packers with Marshall and won. I don't think either is a coincidence. So I look at this game as one which the team that can protect better and take advantage of big plays in the passing game will win. Getting Mathews back is obviously huge for the Packers if he plays but I still think the Vikings can exploit Green Bay deep with Moss and underneath with Harvin and Shiancoe (if they remember he's still on the team). The Packers likely won't be able to run the ball on Minnesota so I think they need to get creative in terms of getting the ball to Jennings and hope like hell Driver isn't limited because Jones has been suspect with his route running again.

As a Packers fan, it's hard for me to look at this as a victory. The Packers aren't playing well and the Vikings come in with far more weapons offensively. I don't think either defense is a shutdown group so the difference for me is on offense where the Vikings have potential balance and the Packers have none.

Simple for me.If Matthews and Pickett or Neal can go...the Packers have a chance.Without Matthews they are screwed.They need to get to Favre as much as possible.It should help if Harris is able to contribute at all in the secondary too_Other good news was that Chillar was back at practice. After losing Barnett and Poppinga, we need all the healthy bodies we can get at LB.Oh, and Rodgers needs to get his head out of his behind and get back to playing well again.
Yes, replying to myself.Looks like Neal is not doing well coming back from injury and McCarthy seemed to think he had no chance at playing this week according to the GB press gazette.Pickett better be able to go or Peterson will have a field day up the middle.

I don't see how the Pack wins this game. They are a mentally weak team. They have no identity on offense at all. They can't even line up to cover a punt correctly. I think the Vikings feast here. And I'm a lifelong Packers backer.

I don't see how the Pack wins this game. They are a mentally weak team. They have no identity on offense at all. They can't even line up to cover a punt correctly. I think the Vikings feast here. And I'm a lifelong Packers backer.
I thought McCarthy said that they lined up correctly and was adamant about it, no? Anyway, I still largely agree. Penalties, turnovers, untimely mistakes, horrible coaching decisions, injuries.....for many reasons, this simply is not a good team right now.

I say Vikings win but its a barnburner. Both are looking completely baffled right now but I think Green Bay is more dysfunctional with no running game and loss of finley. Vikings are starting to come out of the funk but still are not all there.

Vikings 24

Packers 20

I thought McCarthy said that they lined up correctly and was adamant about it, no? Anyway, I still largely agree. Penalties, turnovers, untimely mistakes, horrible coaching decisions, injuries.....for many reasons, this simply is not a good team right now.
He's obviously wrong. I put that penalty on him alone. I'm starting to think he's in over his head. The Packers have been undisciplined for years now. They have no identity at all. They are an 8-8 team.

So many calling for a Viking victory in here. All signs point to a Minnesota victory in this one and we all know that it always goes as expected in the NFL from week to week.

As Packer fan, I'm loving the fact that everyone except Vegas is figuring on a Minnesota win.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's obviously wrong. I put that penalty on him alone. I'm starting to think he's in over his head. The Packers have been undisciplined for years now. They have no identity at all. They are an 8-8 team.
Not sure how wrong...the video and stills show the guy lined up at least a yard away. Very possible it was a bad call.Though, McCarthy still blows and barring a miraculous turnaround this year he should be canned.

So many calling for eithe a Viking victory in here. All signs point to a Minnesota victory here and we all know that it always goes as expected in the NFL from week to week.As Packer fan, I'm loving the fact that everyone except Vegas is figuring on a Minnesota victory.
If you're judging by this thread alone you're seeing a lot of Packer fans honestly judge they're poor play that led to a two game losing streak. Viking fans know that their team hasn't fared much better. It's going to be hard for the Vikes to get it going and keep it up. I don't know who's comfortable either way right now. I see reason to be hopeful, though.

Not sure how wrong...the video and stills show the guy lined up at least a yard away. Very possible it was a bad call.Though, McCarthy still blows and barring a miraculous turnaround this year he should be canned.
Regardless of if he was a couple inches off, why push it? What possible purpose does that player serve being there. He can't hit the center anyway. Just asinine to have him there at all.

The Vikings season is going to live or die on Favre's elbow. It appears to be holding up so far. The Packers lack mental toughness. Maybe Bigby and Harris help that, but I doubt it.

So many calling for eithe a Viking victory in here. All signs point to a Minnesota victory here and we all know that it always goes as expected in the NFL from week to week.As Packer fan, I'm loving the fact that everyone except Vegas is figuring on a Minnesota victory.
If you're judging by this thread alone you're seeing a lot of Packer fans honestly judge they're poor play that led to a two game losing streak. Viking fans know that their team hasn't fared much better. It's going to be hard for the Vikes to get it going and keep it up. I don't know who's comfortable either way right now. I see reason to be hopeful, though.
My post was weakly shrouded hope....because that's all we have right now. Their play has been so poor that I'm hoping for a sweet surprise. :bs:

I'm not sure what the Packers have in terms of reasons for optimism at this point. That's the problem I see. Their defense, even with Mathews, isn't stellar. They can't run the ball and Thompson refused to address that. Their passing game appeared to be far too heavily built around Finley in my opinion and with him out they don't seem like they have any clue what to do. I look at this team and I'm not sure what they can hang their hat on.

The Vikings haven't been stellar by any stretch but they have major weapons offensively and unlike the Packers they possess offensive balance which I think is vital in an NFC which doesn't feature many teams with that attribute. I don't think their defense is all that stellar either but I think the Vikings can at least point to their offense and say potentially that unit could be among the best in the league if Favre stays healthy and they make proper use of Moss combined with Peterson, Harvin dominating from the slot and maybe Rice returning in the final month.

That said, even last season when the Vikings were clearly the superior team in my opinion the scores were relatively close so considering this is a division game and the nature of the rivalry I expect another close game Sunday night. My gut tells me the Vikings will win because I look at both teams and Minnesota appears to me to be the better one right now.

My post was weakly shrouded hope....because that's all we have right now. Their play has been so poor that I'm hoping for a sweet surprise. :bs:
It's @ GB and with Favre's distractions it wouldn't take much for things to go unhinged either way.

I love the tone of this thread. Last year there was a lot of smack talk between the two fans. Now it's a scramble to who can express their reservations the most.

I have no faith in this Packers team to win this game.

I am so disappointed in the state of the Packers that I turned down tickets and will watch it on television with some buddies. The injuries and lack of professionalism shown by the Packers this season has crushed my enthusiasm to the point that sitting in the cold rain for 3 hours and getting home at 2:00 a.m. on a Sunday night is not worth the experience of being at Lambeau for this normally can't-miss event.

I love the tone of this thread. Last year there was a lot of smack talk between the two fans. Now it's a scramble to who can express their reservations the most. I have no faith in this Packers team to win this game.
I was laughing at that too. Last year there was so much bravado in these threads and this year it is completely opposite. Our team sucks.... No, OUR team sucks more... haha.

I've been pretty impressed with the Viking's D this year, but I'm afraid our o-line's going to be our achille's heel again. I can see the Pack getting enough big plays here and there to put away the Vikings.

It would sure be nice to see the Vikings click on offense, though. Maybe get a game from Peterson like he had against Detroit...

As a Viking fan I am not betting on a win. It could go either way here. The key match up for me is Favre/Moss versus Rodgers/Jennings. If the Vikes can tie or win that match up then I see the remainder of the team favoring the Vikings due to the Packer injuries.

The Pack should come out ready to show the NFL that they are not devastated by the injuries. I'd expect to see them trying to get some big plays to Jennings early.

I expect to be a nervous wreck all day Sunday. I love Packer week!

As a Viking fan I am not betting on a win. It could go either way here. The key match up for me is Favre/Moss versus Rodgers/Jennings. If the Vikes can tie or win that match up then I see the remainder of the team favoring the Vikings due to the Packer injuries.The Pack should come out ready to show the NFL that they are not devastated by the injuries. I'd expect to see them trying to get some big plays to Jennings early.I expect to be a nervous wreck all day Sunday. I love Packer week!
I hope they don't just try big plays like that early.Allen will have a field day.Id rather see 4 WR sets, 3 step drops and quick passes to work the ball downfield and work the clock.Also, some type of a run game would be nice...on defense...last year, little blitzing and still couldn't cover. I hope Capers goes a bit more aggressive.Matthews will have to be a factor.

I am so disappointed in the state of the Packers that I turned down tickets and will watch it on television with some buddies. The injuries and lack of professionalism shown by the Packers this season has crushed my enthusiasm to the point that sitting in the cold rain for 3 hours and getting home at 2:00 a.m. on a Sunday night is not worth the experience of being at Lambeau for this normally can't-miss event.
Ditto. I'm already going to be in GB this weekend and could attend the game. Instead, I told my father to sell the tickets. Would rather stay home and hang out with my kids than waste 3 hours sitting at the game watching another McCarthy-led team screw it up. It doesn't help to see smug Aaron Rodgers stand on the sideline smiling that stupid grin when the #### is hitting the fan. He's really annoying this year.

I almost feel sorry for Packers fans, having to endure Mike McCarthy, because you know what a stubborn man Ted Thompson is, and if the Packers do stumble to a mediocre season, he'll trot out the injury excuse as a reason to bring McCarthy back. Granted, injuries have hurt them, no doubt, but McCarthy's in-game boneheadedness is starting to rival Brad Childress, and that is as plain as day for anyone to see.

How has Raji performed this season? Curious as he is the only DL that has been healthy all year.
Raji has been excellent - easily the best DL they have had. Pickett was playing very well at DE until he got hurt. The fear with Pickett is that, once a big man starts having ankle problems, its hard to get healthy and pretty much saps his power for the season. Jenkins has also played very well, but is limited by the club he's been wearing since week 1. He pushes hard, but can't tackle or work an OL effectively.Last week, due to injuries, they started CJ Wilson at end - a 7th round rookie that most of us did not expect to make the team much less ever line up from scrimmage or - god-forbid - start a game. Offensive tackle TJ Lang also lined up as a DT in short yardage probably 6 or 7 plays. Its a mess. Mike Neal has looked good for a rookie, but is also hurt. If this line were healthy and had Jolly and Harrell, it would be awesome. At it stands, it is likely the weakest link on the team.

It doesn't help to see smug Aaron Rodgers stand on the sideline smiling that stupid grin when the #### is hitting the fan. He's really annoying this year.
I agree and would say the same about Driver and Jennings - always laughing and jawing with the opposition during a close game. Makes me sick.

I almost feel sorry for Packers fans, having to endure Mike McCarthy, because you know what a stubborn man Ted Thompson is, and if the Packers do stumble to a mediocre season, he'll trot out the injury excuse as a reason to bring McCarthy back. Granted, injuries have hurt them, no doubt, but McCarthy's in-game boneheadedness is starting to rival Brad Childress, and that is as plain as day for anyone to see.
Meh......were you saying these same things during the second half of last season?

It doesn't help to see smug Aaron Rodgers stand on the sideline smiling that stupid grin when the #### is hitting the fan. He's really annoying this year.
I agree and would say the same about Driver and Jennings - always laughing and jawing with the opposition during a close game. Makes me sick.
Yep. I miss the old days of Ditka and Gregg when opposing teams in the same division acted like they hated each other (at least on the field). That's what happens though when the paychecks are so big......they are all one giant club of mutual admirers. (except for T Brady and T Suggs evidently)

So many calling for eithe a Viking victory in here. All signs point to a Minnesota victory here and we all know that it always goes as expected in the NFL from week to week.

As Packer fan, I'm loving the fact that everyone except Vegas is figuring on a Minnesota victory.
If you're judging by this thread alone you're seeing a lot of Packer fans honestly judge they're poor playall the injuries that led to a two game losing streak. Viking fans know that their team hasn't fared much better. It's going to be hard for the Vikes to get it going and keep it up. I don't know who's comfortable either way right now. I see reason to be hopeful, though.
Yes every team has injuries, but not to 7-8 starters and have them all out.

Last edited by a moderator:
So many calling for eithe a Viking victory in here. All signs point to a Minnesota victory here and we all know that it always goes as expected in the NFL from week to week.

As Packer fan, I'm loving the fact that everyone except Vegas is figuring on a Minnesota victory.
If you're judging by this thread alone you're seeing a lot of Packer fans honestly judge they're poor playall the injuries that led to a two game losing streak. Viking fans know that their team hasn't fared much better. It's going to be hard for the Vikes to get it going and keep it up. I don't know who's comfortable either way right now. I see reason to be hopeful, though.
k bro

Is it possible for both to lose? :bs:
This.This whole division is a mess right now but I will say that the Vikings are the team that scares me the most right now. I would not have said that before the Moss trade/Finley injury but that is what it is now. I am very much looking forward to watching this game as I was the Viking/Packer games last year. Should be a good one, whoever wins.

Is it possible for both to lose? :shrug:
I remember a MNF Packer-Viking game back in 2000 or 2001 that came close. Both teams were making horrible mistakes and it went to OT. It's the one where the Packer WR caught a ball that bounced off his back or something and then ran it in for the game winning TD...

CletiusMaximus said:
How has Raji performed this season? Curious as he is the only DL that has been healthy all year.
Raji has been excellent - easily the best DL they have had. Pickett was playing very well at DE until he got hurt. The fear with Pickett is that, once a big man starts having ankle problems, its hard to get healthy and pretty much saps his power for the season. Jenkins has also played very well, but is limited by the club he's been wearing since week 1. He pushes hard, but can't tackle or work an OL effectively.Last week, due to injuries, they started CJ Wilson at end - a 7th round rookie that most of us did not expect to make the team much less ever line up from scrimmage or - god-forbid - start a game. Offensive tackle TJ Lang also lined up as a DT in short yardage probably 6 or 7 plays. Its a mess. Mike Neal has looked good for a rookie, but is also hurt. If this line were healthy and had Jolly and Harrell, it would be awesome. At it stands, it is likely the weakest link on the team.
Raji was double teamed on nearly every play last week. He destroyed the Redskins interior line the week before. It looks like the Vikings will have to pick their poison between doubling Raji or Matthews this week. If Pickett can play, the Packers will have a major edge here. As a side note, if McCarthy can't get the team playing their best for this one, he does deserve to go.

Vikes over Pack. Green Bay regrets not paying up for Lynch.
They would never attribute a loss to that. Other would, but the Packers would blame other factors. I will just be happy to get a win against them if Vikes can. I will save my ridiculing until they can't somehow figure out how to make me eat my words.If Donald Driver picks the ball off a defender's back for a winning TD again I can't be responsible for my actions.

ScottyFargo said:

k bro
:pickle:

:goodposting:

Everybody calling the game for the Vikings must not have watched a lot of game action from the Vikings this year. Offensive line looks terrible. Passing game has been anemic at best. Defensive backs have been exposed early and often. Pass rush from the past couple of seasons has been non-existent.

Playing Green Bay, at home, with Favre's elbow, with no Sidney Rice? Even with all the Packers injuries, I still expect them to pull out a win. Although I hope I'm wrong. :horns:

Matchups in this game that worry me are Clifton against Allen, Moss against Woodson/Williams, and AP against everybody. Clifton shouldn't even be out there so look for Allen to blow him up all game. As if Rodgers needs to be hit any more this year, now he's got to deal with his blind side being exposed all night. We saw in the Miami game Marshall destroyed Williams, (even though he pushed off all night. I was there and saw it with my own eyes. Blind refs apparently, but I digress. ) Woodson is a penalty waiting to happen. Again in the Miami game Williams/Brown were able to find success up the middle and off tackle to the right side. We'll have to constantly bring pressure to Favre, which is going to open things up for AP. He's going to easily have 100+ yards and may break a big one. Our offense has no rhythm at all right now, and with no run game you just can't consistently win in this league.

To summarize, our team is a complete mess with all the injuries and I'd love to see them catch lightning in a bottle and pull out a win, but I don't have faith it will happen. After we get a beat down by the Jets the week after, we'll be looking at 3-5 and the end of our season.

Hilarious reading fans of 2 teams that both thought they were a shoe in for the Superbowl now giving the other team the win even before the game is played. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread