What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vilma Suing Goodell for Defamation (1 Viewer)

I'm kinda wondering if this will force (and is the driving motivation behind this) for lots of information to come out that the NFL didn't want out.Something makes me feel that the NFL was right but they may have found out that it was more wide-spread and perverse than they would like the image of the NFL be known.
Nice post Shutout...I agree that the player's association lost the war but they are going to try and make sure the information is released for more folks to read it. Goodell can't do anything else to Vilma at this point excpet ban him for life.It's too bad that a lot of people just believed everything Goodell fed them and made a few players the scape goats for a lot of other people. All in the name of saving the NFL from so many law suits...oh the court trials we have to enjoy ahead...depressing really.
Any information not related to Vilma and the Saints would be redacted anyway. No information about other people or teams will be made public. If anything, Goddell will probably be vindicated and be put in an even stronger position once he wins this defamation suit.

If I recall correctly, a former assistant attorney general was brought in and reviewed all the evidence in bountygate. She said the evidence was as solid as anything she has ever seen if I recall correctly.Vilma taking the aggressive posture of suing is smoke and mirrors. The burden becomes his to prove that Gooell purposely lied about his role with the intent to defame him. From the little I have seen and heard, that isn't going to happen, whether the accusations are true or not.
Why are people dismissing Vilma's side so quickly as if he's representing himself? I'm pretty sure his lawyer knows the situation and made an educated decision to file suit. BTW, lets get a lawyer in here to tell us who has to prove what. Obviously makes a huge difference.

I'm kinda wondering if this will force (and is the driving motivation behind this) for lots of information to come out that the NFL didn't want out.

Something makes me feel that the NFL was right but they may have found out that it was more wide-spread and perverse than they would like the image of the NFL be known.
Nice post Shutout...I agree that the player's association lost the war but they are going to try and make sure the information is released for more folks to read it. Goodell can't do anything else to Vilma at this point excpet ban him for life.It's too bad that a lot of people just believed everything Goodell fed them and made a few players the scape goats for a lot of other people. All in the name of saving the NFL from so many law suits...oh the court trials we have to enjoy ahead...depressing really.
Any information not related to Vilma and the Saints would be redacted anyway. No information about other people or teams will be made public. If anything, Goddell will probably be vindicated and be put in an even stronger position once he wins this defamation suit.
And if he loses?

If I recall correctly, a former assistant attorney general was brought in and reviewed all the evidence in bountygate. She said the evidence was as solid as anything she has ever seen if I recall correctly.
She was paid league counsel. Her word doesn't constitute evidence.That said, if she's right, it will presumably come out.

BTW, lets get a lawyer in here to tell us who has to prove what. Obviously makes a huge difference.
Not one of our FBG lawyers, but even saintsreport.com has some attorneys as members:
Originally Posted by superchuck500

The critical moment will be how the Judge rules on Goodell's motion to dismiss, that he will file sometime relatively soon.

Basically Goodell will argue that the alleged defamation occurred solely in the context of the Commissioner's duties under the CBA and therefore the CBA's grievance procedures provide the exclusive remedy for addressing disputes arising from the performance of those duties.

If Vilma's case were to survive the motion to dismiss, then it gets interesting and then it is likely that Goodell will have to produce the evidence (not publicly though).

If Goodell wins the motion to dismiss the case is over and there will be no discovery or trial.
So from the get-go, there's already some hurdles for Vilma's legal team to straddle.

If I recall correctly, a former assistant attorney general was brought in and reviewed all the evidence in bountygate. She said the evidence was as solid as anything she has ever seen if I recall correctly.Vilma taking the aggressive posture of suing is smoke and mirrors. The burden becomes his to prove that Gooell purposely lied about his role with the intent to defame him. From the little I have seen and heard, that isn't going to happen, whether the accusations are true or not.
Why are people dismissing Vilma's side so quickly as if he's representing himself? I'm pretty sure his lawyer knows the situation and made an educated decision to file suit. BTW, lets get a lawyer in here to tell us who has to prove what. Obviously makes a huge difference.
Vilma is a public figure. So to win his case, he has to prove that Goodell lied and knew he was lying.And presumably Vilma is paying his lawyer. I'm not sure why having a lawyer is somehow proof that Vilma is telling the truth.

I would think that if depositions and testimonies are required under oath from some of Vilma's teammates then this could be a serious problem in that locker room going forward. Especially with all the other things already going on in that locker room.
There's nothing "already going on in that locker room", I don't believe. The team is a united front on this matter.Connect the dots for me: you're thinking that some current players may be under pressure to lie for Vilma, or something like that? And that there could be some resentment about it? That all depends on what the unknowable truth really is. If Vilma's version of events is known and accepted by the entirety of the team, then the depositions/testimony shouldn't be an issue. If it turns out that Vilma is full of it, and is manufacturing a version of the truth that current teammates know to be false, but will be expected to begrudgingly uphold, that would be a different story.
Even if the team is a united front, you're still missing coaches, players and a GM over this whole flap and your uber franchise QB has not signed yet.Otherwise, yes, I wonder if there will be pressure on certain individuals testimony, whether from the team and/or Vilma, or even the NFL. "The whole truth and nothing but the truth" could really cause some havoc here for either side.

He's not being charged with a crime..."yeah right" is all you need.
Yes, for the court of public opinion. But the judge could well rule that the league was negligent in ruining a player's name based on insufficient evidence. That wouldn't be crime on the league's part, but the league could be civilly liable.
Yeah, good luck with that. This isn't going anywhere, even though I'm sure most fans of the team, stained by the mess they created, certainly hope this is a step toward redemption. But, it's not. It's a dirty team and going to take years to clean house and make it a respectable franchise again. And, to think...was such a feel good story.

Fletcher Mackel@FletcherMackel

Vilma v Goodell case will be handled by Chief Judge Ginger Berrigan and Magistrate Judge Danny Knowles. Vilma has asked for a jury.

Mackel is one the local TV-news sports guys. This was filed in U.S. District Court in New Orleans, BTW.

Yeah, good luck with that. This isn't going anywhere, even though I'm sure most fans of the team, stained by the mess they created, certainly hope this is a step toward redemption. But, it's not. It's a dirty team and going to take years to clean house and make it a respectable franchise again.
Whatever the odds look like now, I'm curious to see where it leads.

From saintsreport... not a homer optimistic take:

Originally Posted by CitySaint

Is the motion to dismiss and the Judges agreement likely ?
Is the motion to dismiss and the Judges agreement likely ?I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Is it likely that the judge will dismiss? I think that unfortunately, the reality is that there are exclusive remedy procedures (i.e. arbitration) in the CBA that mean that it cannot go to court. There's pretty solid law that such exclusive procedures are considered valid and bargained for, so as a general point of law, I would not be optimistic of Vilma's success on that point.

The one wrinkle, however, is whether a libel/defamation action under state tort law serves as an exception to the exclusivity of the CBA's arbitration procedures. The CBA calls for application of New York law and I have seen at least one case where a defamation action was allowed to proceed despite exclusive remedies in the CBA, but the context was quite different than what we have here. But it may not be New York law if this is seen as outside of the CBA.

The problem is that Vilma's suit basically asks the judge to determine whether Goodell's statements associated with the suspension were actually true. In other words, the judge would have to review the bounty evidence and rule on the accuracy of Goodell's conclusions. Well, that's basically having a judge step in and perform the duty of appeal of the Commissioner's ruling that was conducted based on procedures in the CBA.

That seems precisely the kind of thing that contractual exclusivity of remedies (i.e. arbitration) is designed and mutually agreed upon to keep from happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kinda wondering if this will force (and is the driving motivation behind this) for lots of information to come out that the NFL didn't want out.Something makes me feel that the NFL was right but they may have found out that it was more wide-spread and perverse than they would like the image of the NFL be known.
This. Vilma (and by extension Saints fans) are throwing a tantrum right now. But, at the end of the day, there is zero chance (not 90%, not 95%, not 99.9999% chance, but 0.0% chance) that Vilma gets this case to trial and wins. His reputation is mud, and he's trying to haul off a Hail Mary in an effort to redeem it...instead of doing the right thing and acknowledging that he's an ###.

Originally Posted by CitySaint

Is the motion to dismiss and the Judges agreement likely ?
Is the motion to dismiss and the Judges agreement likely ?I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Is it likely that the judge will dismiss? I think that unfortunately, the reality is that there are exclusive remedy procedures (i.e. arbitration) in the CBA that mean that it cannot go to court. There's pretty solid law that such exclusive procedures are considered valid and bargained for, so as a general point of law, I would not be optimistic of Vilma's success on that point.

The one wrinkle, however, is whether a libel/defamation action under state tort law serves as an exception to the exclusivity of the CBA's arbitration procedures. The CBA calls for application of New York law and I have seen at least one case where a defamation action was allowed to proceed despite exclusive remedies in the CBA, but the context was quite different than what we have here. But it may not be New York law if this is seen as outside of the CBA.

The problem is that Vilma's suit basically asks the judge to determine whether Goodell's statements associated with the suspension were actually true. In other words, the judge would have to review the bounty evidence and rule on the accuracy of Goodell's conclusions. Well, that's basically having a judge step in and perform the duty of appeal of the Commissioner's ruling that was conducted based on procedures in the CBA.

That seems precisely the kind of thing that contractual exclusivity of remedies (i.e. arbitration) is designed and mutually agreed upon to keep from happening.
:goodposting: Interesting. Not surprising, but interesting, nonetheless.

You can find a lawyer who will sue anyone for anything. Doesn't mean it is justified. Not saying Goodell is always right but his team is made up of pretty much all attorneys so I'm guessing they have a pretty solid case.

Another interesting section. Vilma's lawsuit says that the conduct Goodell alleged Vilma committed is criminal conduct.

89. Goodell’s Statements were widely published and not privileged in any manner.91. Goodell’s Statements were libelous per se because they allege Vilma was engaged in criminal conduct.92. Goodell accused Vilma of engaging in a pattern of behavior designed to intentionally injure other persons for financial profit. Goodell’s false statements forever falsely taint and permanently damage Vilma in the eyes of NFL Clubs, media, fans and sponsors, as a player who brazenly disregards NFL rules and intentionally attempts to injure his opponents.
This one is more interesting, since vilma was never convicted of a crime. But isn't he also inviting criminal prosecution on himself?
That is an interesting question. In theory, if Goodell has evidence of criminal conduct, but deciding to not release that information previously in making his initial suspensions, could Vilma's filing backfire by prompting such a release from the commissioner's office?

BTW, lets get a lawyer in here to tell us who has to prove what. Obviously makes a huge difference.
Not one of our FBG lawyers, but even saintsreport.com has some attorneys as members:

The critical moment will be how the Judge rules on Goodell's motion to dismiss, that he will file sometime relatively soon.

Basically Goodell will argue that the alleged defamation occurred solely in the context of the Commissioner's duties under the CBA and therefore the CBA's grievance procedures provide the exclusive remedy for addressing disputes arising from the performance of those duties.

If Vilma's case were to survive the motion to dismiss, then it gets interesting and then it is likely that Goodell will have to produce the evidence (not publicly though).

If Goodell wins the motion to dismiss the case is over and there will be no discovery or trial.
So from the get-go, there's already some hurdles for Vilma's legal team to straddle.
I'm an attorney, and while I make no claims whatsoever to be an expert in defamation litigation, I agree with the points made by superchuck above. Also, if Vilma's case does survive Goodell's motion to dismiss, it WON'T be the case as someone suggested in an earlier post that Vilma will have to prove that Goodell is lying. Even if Goodell didn't know that the statements he made were false, if he made the defamatory statements about Vilma "with reckless disregard for their truth or falsity", Vilma wins. The bottom line is that (again, assuming the case past the dismissal motion) Goodell will have to show what evidence he relied upon in making the assertions against Vilma.On a side note, I suspect that Vilma and his attorneys may have at least some basis for the claim. I'm not saying that Vilma was or wasn't involved in the bounty scandal -- I don't have the facts -- but I'd be a little surprised if someone in his shoes would do this if he didn't even have a colorable claim ... for example, if Vilma did do what he was accused of but knows that Goodell has no real evidence to prove it.

'sho nuff said:
'Doug B said:
'Herb said:
Vilma says "I did not intend to pay, nor did I pay" but never says he didn't offer to pay. WTF?
FWIW, one version of this that Vilma's attorney trotted out earlier on was that the $10,000-on-the-table thing was basically a pep-rally-style skit.Easy to say "Yeah right" ... but without a means to prove a post-game payment took place, what has the NFL got there? Remember, it's not necessarily about absolute truth or falsehood at this stage. It's now about what can be proven to a third party.
Does anyone really believe "it was just a skit"? Or that it would hold up in court as far as defamation?Come on man...
"I wasn't really going to buy the drugs man! Just cause I TOLD you I was going to and brought the money with me and set it on the table - it was just a skit! lol."Yeah, ummm....good luck with that. :rolleyes:

'RUSF18 said:
'Shutout said:
Why would that happen? Vilma needs to prove that Goodell is lying. He didn't say "Vilma is the only player who offered a bounty". Why would information about other teams come out?
From what I heard ont he radio, an announcer said that the document in the investigation is avtually spanning multiple years and was literally a few thousand pieces of paper. What I meant was that maybe these guys do some really thorough investigating and as they have talked to players around the leagues, some of them have expounded some additional information and this isn't an isolated issue. The NFL has a lawsuit consisting of a couple thousand NFL players suing over concussions right now. I think it would be very damaging for the NFL if they had to reveal this lengthy dcument and it came to light that this was more common leaguewide and not isolated. I think that would strengthen the other lawsuit. So, in some ways, I think this is really very little to do about Vilma in the grand scheme and the bigger prize may be that the NFL wants its reputation to be protected and portray this as a one time, isolated issue.

'Snotbubbles said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
'Shutout said:
Wouldn't an open records request do all the damage that is needed. While the info might be omitted in terms of the defamation suit, the actual making available the information is the real damage, I think.

'Lambert said:
'Doug B said:
'Zigg said:

I'm an attorney, and while I make no claims whatsoever to be an expert in defamation litigation, I agree with the points made by superchuck above. Also, if Vilma's case does survive Goodell's motion to dismiss, it WON'T be the case as someone suggested in an earlier post that Vilma will have to prove that Goodell is lying. Even if Goodell didn't know that the statements he made were false, if he made the defamatory statements about Vilma "with reckless disregard for their truth or falsity", Vilma wins. The bottom line is that (again, assuming the case past the dismissal motion) Goodell will have to show what evidence he relied upon in making the assertions against Vilma.On a side note, I suspect that Vilma and his attorneys may have at least some basis for the claim. I'm not saying that Vilma was or wasn't involved in the bounty scandal -- I don't have the facts -- but I'd be a little surprised if someone in his shoes would do this if he didn't even have a colorable claim ... for example, if Vilma did do what he was accused of but knows that Goodell has no real evidence to prove it.
Now I'm really starting to think that there is information in this thing that would hurt the NFL (give them a black eye or support the notion that this is not an isolated event). I know a few people have said that the information wouldn't necessarily become public to all ut I would think there has to be a legitimate fear of leaks. Things get leaked..like the list of all the doped up baseball players a few years ago. I really think the unseen pressure here is that this could open up a can of worms that has little to do with Vilma in the grand scheme of things.

Man, who knew I would get a few chances to use this alias :)

The hammer says I am the son of a senator and I was raised in the NFL working under both Pete Rozzell and Paul Tagliabue.

Have you ever known me not to do ANYTHING that isn't carried out methodically, with every single rock being kicked and every angle being considered?

My case is sound and strong but I am now being squeezed tightly because I have A LOT of info that I'd rather not let out of the safe because the shield will look BAD and it won't help my lawsuits regarding safety.

When I get through with this, Jimmy Hoffa won't be able to find Vilma...

'Herb said:
'Shutout said:
I'm kinda wondering if this will force (and is the driving motivation behind this) for lots of information to come out that the NFL didn't want out.

Something makes me feel that the NFL was right but they may have found out that it was more wide-spread and perverse than they would like the image of the NFL be known.
If this is the case then Vilma has just become public enemy No. 1, if he wasn't already. my opinion of this guy, who I used to respect as a player, is lower than a snake's taint.
So you believe that Vilma should just accept a year suspension and loss of pay for doing(allegedly) something that happens(allegedly) in every locker room.
Every locker room does not participate in bounties for injury, and every locker room does not sweep it under the rug and lie to the commish about it for 3 years. I have no problem with Vilma and the players union wanting some solid proof, but it seems as if Vilma's whole argument is built on semantics. Vilma says "I did not intend to pay, nor did I pay" but never says he didn't offer to pay. WTF?
More then just the Saints participate in pay for incentive style bonuses. I would bet that the number is closer to the fact that most teams do have programs along these lines, even if it's just quietly among players. The saints are being used a scape goat or as an example by goddell as a warning to the other teams. when the news broke that goddell was going after a defensive coach for a bounty program, 31 other defensive coordinators breathed a sigh of relief when they realized it wasn't them. :excited:

not saying they didn't play hard or take shots at players, but man watch some film of the NFL from the 70s and 80s for crying out loud. the steelers may not have won a super bowl in the 70s with the pampering toward offensive players now.
Some might have programs...but when it came out that GB had a program among defenders to hold RBs under 100 yards...it was shut down quickly by the league.The Saints are not a scapegoat...they are being used because they got caught big time...warned...lied...and kept going on with their program.

That anyone still thinks this is some sort of scape goat is laughable at this point.

Film from the 70s and 80s has nothing to do with the NFL in 2012.

'Snotbubbles said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
'Shutout said:
Wouldn't an open records request do all the damage that is needed. While the info might be omitted in terms of the defamation suit, the actual making available the information is the real damage, I think.
When you go through discovery, the NFL will redact all the non-relevant information before it gets to Vilma's counsel. The parties will go through negotitations to determine what information is relevant and what is not.If the NFL has an original document like this for example:Q: Have you ever participated in a bounty program?Fajita: Yes.Q: For which teams?Fajita: Chiefs and Saints.By the time it gets to opposing counsel it will look something like this:Q: Have you ever participated in a bounty program?[Redacted]: Yes.Q: For which teams?[Redacted]: [Redacted] Saints.You're not gonna really get a ton of extra information from the discovery.

The Saints are not a scapegoat...they are being used because they got caught big time...warned...lied...and kept going on with their program.
Part of the Saints' collective stance is that (a) while there was ordinary pay-for-performance going on, (b) the league over-reached in regarding it a "bounties for injury" scheme and ( c) the league cannot possibly have evidence that proves a bounties-for-injuries scheme took place.Whether the Saints are right or not is presumably yet to be determined. Note that this is the upshot of the team's many statements, not a collective fans' take. .

posted by stevend:

Listening to MTC Pat & Tim said they heard the NFL wants to lose the hearings to move this out of Goodell's hands.

Looks like they are looking for an out.

BTW that was before the lawsuit.
From here.Is this legit? Any of you guys listen to Moving the Chains on Sirius yesterday?

'Zigg said:
I am an attorney here in NY. My post wasn't intended to "prove" anything. My point was that the NFL brought in a former AG to review the evidence the NFL has amassed before taking action. That AG not only said there was sufficient evidence, but something to the effect that it was the most overwhelming evidence she has seen. Whether this is true or not isn't the point. The point is that it shows the NFL got an independent review before acting. Who paid for that review is inapposite. As a plaintiff, Vilma has the burden to prove his case. Here, he has to prove that Goodell intentionally defamed him. Based upon the above, and everything else I have seen, he has very little chance of proving that, whether he paid for illegal hits or not. Even if he didn't, as long as the NFL had a good faith basis for acting as it did, they can't be found guilty of defamation as that is an intentional act.All the lawyers involved wil know this. This is why I believe it is simply a PR move in an attempt to scare the NFL into reducing the suspension so as to avoid other things that allegedly came up during the investigation.

The Saints are not a scapegoat...they are being used because they got caught big time...warned...lied...and kept going on with their program.
Part of the Saints' collective stance is that (a) while there was ordinary pay-for-performance going on, (b) the league over-reached in regarding it a "bounties for injury" scheme and ( c) the league cannot possibly have evidence that proves a bounties-for-injuries scheme took place.Whether the Saints are right or not is presumably yet to be determined. Note that this is the upshot of the team's many statements, not a collective fans' take.

It's pretty hard to take claim (c) seriously when anyone can go out to youtube and listen for himself to definitive proof that a bounty was offered for injury.I think the crux of the player's argument is whether there is evidence they participated in the funding and administering of the bounty for injury aspect of the program, which is the primary reason behind their suspensions. The evidence we the public have seen is enough by itself to solidly prove that bounties for injury were offered by at least Gregg Williams, but to prove it of the players the NFL needs more.

From here:

Originally Posted by stevend

Since the lawsuit is directly at Goodell and not the NFL, and specifically addresses that Goodell made false accusations that didn't need to be made publicly, don't you think that would be outside the scope of the CBA?
That's part of Vilma's argument, I would say.

And perhaps it's more persuasive than I'm giving credit. Perhaps the court could conclude that while the underlying context was within the disciplinary structure under the CBA, the CBA doesn't provide for the public statements and announcements that Goodell made. In other words, when Goodell made these statements public, he was no longer carrying out the disciplinary duties under the CBA - because there's nothing in those duties that call for public statements.

And when he undertook to make those statements (for purposes that we could fairly say included a PR campaign intended to help the league's case in concussion litigation), he incurred the risk of tort liability to the players involved if those statements were false and injurious.

It's a decent argument. We'll see how it turns out.

It's pretty hard to take claim © seriously when anyone can go out to youtube and listen for himself to definitive proof that a bounty was offered for injury.
Does Williams' speech unambiguously get there, though? Recall that there's no video ... if you're referring to the "I've got the first one ..." statement, that may not be concrete enough.Remember, also -- that audio was not part of the NFL's investigation.

'RUSF18 said:
'Shutout said:
Why would that happen? Vilma needs to prove that Goodell is lying. He didn't say "Vilma is the only player who offered a bounty". Why would information about other teams come out?
This is where you're wrong. He doesn't need to prove Goodell was lying...Goodell needs to prove that he wasn't lying. Otherwise, he's in deep $&!#.

It's pretty hard to take claim © seriously when anyone can go out to youtube and listen for himself to definitive proof that a bounty was offered for injury.
Does Williams' speech unambiguously get there, though? Recall that there's no video ... if you're referring to the "I've got the first one ..." statement, that may not be concrete enough.
If that evidence and the testimony of the person who recorded it show up in a trial it's concrete enough for anyone not viewing it through homer-colored glasses.
Remember, also -- that audio was not part of the NFL's investigation.
What does that have to do with anything? It's solid evidence. Don't we want to know the truth and for any punishment to reflect what actually transpired? So why would it matter if it was not known before? It certainly is now.Actually, I'm being hasty. There is an important implication. It means that an independent AG thought the other evidence the NFL had was solid, without even taking into account the smoking gun of the tape.

'RUSF18 said:
'Shutout said:
This is where you're wrong. He doesn't need to prove Goodell was lying...Goodell needs to prove that he wasn't lying. Otherwise, he's in deep $&!#.
Goodell and his team are not idiots. You have to believe they have covered themselves all the way through this and discussed all the alternatives that may come from the suspensions. My guess is Vilma and his team will have no chance of winning any part of this case. Vilma is grasping at straws. This whole bounty scandal is classless and to me and many fans Vilma trying to counter it by suing the commishoner is another nail in his coffin. Dirt bag move by someone who did a dirt bag act!

'Shutout said:
Vilma is opening Pandora's boxjust wait until Vilma gets a subpoena from an aggressive prosecutor for criminal sanctions and real jail time for his participationThe NFLPA probably forget to tell him about that possibility

I'm glad that Vilma filed the suit. Now there is a chance that the NFL will actually have to reveal at least some of the evidence that supports its actions in Bountygate. The League has consistently refused to reveal this evidence publicly. There is a reason for that.

'RUSF18 said:
'Shutout said:

One of the lawyers can correct me here if I'm wrong, but to try to avoid confusion on who has to prove what...In Louisiana there are apparently five elements that must be met to be found guilty of defamation. 1) Defamatory words. 2) Published to someone other than the defamed party. 3) Falsity. 4) Malice. 5) Resulting injury.

According to the Louisiana 2nd Circuit Court of Appeal, "The cause of action fails if even one of these elements is lacking. ... A defamation plaintiff bears an extremely heavy burden to withstand a motion for summary judgment."

So Goodell can file for a summary judgment in his favor, and Vilma's side will have to provide burden of proof on those 5 elements. The non-lawyer that I am, I'm not sure how much would be required on "Falsity" in a case where one person says something happened and another says it didn't. But "Malice" would seem to be a key issue that the burden of proof is on Vilma's side to prove Goodell did what he did with malice. And I imagine that is going to be extremely hard to prove. I'm guessing that is what Silver and Black was saying in his post.

If Vilma manages to meet his burden of proof, then Goodell could win the case still by proving that he was telling the truth by presenting evidence that Vilma committed the actions claimed, since then the element of Falsity would not have been met. But it sounds like Vilma has to meet his burden of proof before that would be necessary.

I'm glad that Vilma filed the suit. Now there is a chance that the NFL will actually have to reveal at least some of the evidence that supports its actions in Bountygate. The League has consistently refused to reveal this evidence publicly. There is a reason for that.
My guess is the reason is it would be bad for the game. There are some things that are better for the game left discussed between employee and employer. Goodell has done one heck of a job of trying to clean up the NFL on and off the field. I don't know if people on here are Saints fans or Vilam fans, but the commisshoner and his team have been making huge strides in the right direction for the game of football. The owners (who own the teams and players) gave Goodell a huge vote of confidence by extending his contract through to 2018. Some of you need to seriously sort it out. Goodell is far from perfect but he has clearly but doing arguably the best job of any commisshoner in history for his tenure thus far.

'Shutout said:
Exactly! The NFL wants this to be framed as "one bad team did this" and have it go away quietly rahter than what it really is: Most teams do this, and the NFL does not want that getting out.Good move by Vilma as Goodell will have to cut a deal to keep this whole thing from blowing up.
So the NFL:1) knows that everyone does it,2) knows that everyone knows that everyone does it and3) still hands out surprisingly harsh penalties...4) ...because they thought the scapegoats wouldn't retaliate?Comeon. If there is this mass conspiracy involving 31 other teams and the league front office, Goodell and company had already game planned Vilma's possible responses BEFORE they handed out the suspensions. And they did so with their primary goal being protection of the brand. If Vilma really had a smoking gun, they never would have hammered him as hard as they did in the first place leaving that as his only play.It's this simple, the NFL calculated that it had more to gain (or less to lose) by hammering Vilma and company and defending the inevitable appeals and counterclaims than it had to gain (or lose) by ignoring the issue or handing out token slaps on the wrist.

'RUSF18 said:
'Shutout said:

This is where you're wrong. He doesn't need to prove Goodell was lying...Goodell needs to prove that he wasn't lying. Otherwise, he's in deep {:content:}amp;!#.
One of the lawyers can correct me here if I'm wrong, but to try to avoid confusion on who has to prove what...In Louisiana there are apparently five elements that must be met to be found guilty of defamation. 1) Defamatory words. 2) Published to someone other than the defamed party. 3) Falsity. 4) Malice. 5) Resulting injury.

According to the Louisiana 2nd Circuit Court of Appeal, "The cause of action fails if even one of these elements is lacking. ... A defamation plaintiff bears an extremely heavy burden to withstand a motion for summary judgment."

So Goodell can file for a summary judgment in his favor, and Vilma's side will have to provide burden of proof on those 5 elements. The non-lawyer that I am, I'm not sure how much would be required on "Falsity" in a case where one person says something happened and another says it didn't. But "Malice" would seem to be a key issue that the burden of proof is on Vilma's side to prove Goodell did what he did with malice. And I imagine that is going to be extremely hard to prove. I'm guessing that is what Silver and Black was saying in his post.

If Vilma manages to meet his burden of proof, then Goodell could win the case still by proving that he was telling the truth by presenting evidence that Vilma committed the actions claimed, since then the element of Falsity would not have been met. But it sounds like Vilma has to meet his burden of proof before that would be necessary.
Plaintiff's (in this case, Vilma) normally carry the burden of proof. That means Vilma has to prove what Goodell said was both false and malicious. The malicious part can be tricky since someone can be wrong (false) in what they say but not have been malicious. If what Goodell said is a reasonable conclusion based on the info he had available to him, then it's probably game over for Vilma's suit.

So you believe that Vilma should just accept a year suspension and loss of pay for doing(allegedly) something that happens(allegedly) in every locker room.
Most of us learned that "two wrongs don't make a right" when we were 5 or 6 years old. Even if everyone is participating in a bounty system (which I doubt), if you know your behavior is incorrect and risk getting caught, then it's a no-brainer for me.

Plaintiff's (in this case, Vilma) normally carry the burden of proof. That means Vilma has to prove what Goodell said was both false and malicious. The malicious part can be tricky since someone can be wrong (false) in what they say but not have been malicious. If what Goodell said is a reasonable conclusion based on the info he had available to him, then it's probably game over for Vilma's suit.
Link:
In the 11 different Claims for Relief in the suit, Vilma alleges that he is a victim of (deep breath) ... Slander Per Se — Injury to Professional Reputation; Slander Per Se — Accusations of Criminal Conduct; Slander By Implication; Slander — Reckless Disregard/Malice; Libel Per Se — Injury to Professional Reputation; Libel Per Se — Accusations of Criminal Conduct; Libel By Implication; Libel — Reckless Disregard/Malice; and Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress.
These arguments for per se infringements are meant to help Ginsberg and Vilma get around having to establish malice (link):
The league will also argue Vilma, as a public figure, must prove actual malice on the part of Goodell. The requirement of actual malice makes defamation lawsuits more difficult for public figures than for typical persons. It would require Vilma to show that Goodell not only should have known better in making the statement, but that he either intended to defame Vilma or had clear knowledge Vilma would be defamed. Vilma hopes to overcome the actual malice requirement by arguing Goodell's statements are defamatory per se, meaning so egregious on its face there is no need to examine it further. Courts are generally weary of classifying statements as defamation per se.
A considerable legal challenge for Ginsberg, to say the least.

Part of the Saints' collective stance is that (a) while there was ordinary pay-for-performance going on, (b) the league over-reached in regarding it a "bounties for injury" scheme and ( c) the league cannot possibly have evidence that proves a bounties-for-injuries scheme took place.Whether the Saints are right or not is presumably yet to be determined. Note that this is the upshot of the team's many statements, not a collective fans' take. .
And everyone who heard the voice of Williams knows that saying they don't have evidence is pretty much foolish.Whether they are right or not has been determined by most that are not A. connected with the organization or B. fans of said team that can't open their eyes and are still trying to hold on to some hope that their team did not do all of this.

'Doug B said:
'JamesTheScot said:
Link:
In the 11 different Claims for Relief in the suit, Vilma alleges that he is a victim of (deep breath) ... Slander Per Se — Injury to Professional Reputation; Slander Per Se — Accusations of Criminal Conduct; Slander By Implication; Slander — Reckless Disregard/Malice; Libel Per Se — Injury to Professional Reputation; Libel Per Se — Accusations of Criminal Conduct; Libel By Implication; Libel — Reckless Disregard/Malice; and Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress.
These arguments for per se infringements are meant to help Ginsberg and Vilma get around having to establish malice (link):
The league will also argue Vilma, as a public figure, must prove actual malice on the part of Goodell. The requirement of actual malice makes defamation lawsuits more difficult for public figures than for typical persons. It would require Vilma to show that Goodell not only should have known better in making the statement, but that he either intended to defame Vilma or had clear knowledge Vilma would be defamed. Vilma hopes to overcome the actual malice requirement by arguing Goodell's statements are defamatory per se, meaning so egregious on its face there is no need to examine it further. Courts are generally weary of classifying statements as defamation per se.
A considerable legal challenge for Ginsberg, to say the least.
So for the record, Vilma in his suit contends that taking out a bounty on another player is a) a criminal act, and b) an act so egregious that just accusing someone of it is a clear sign of malice.Glad to hear he doesn't think it's something that belongs in the game of football. :thumbup:

Honestly, I am surprised that it took this long for someone to file against Goodell. The fact that he is in charge of the investigating, handing out punishment, & of all things hearing any appeals to his own rulings.

To me it's not so much about Vilma actually winning, more about knocking Goodell down a peg. If this happens, it would be a success.

While I never wanted to see it happen, I think until the players or coaches feel that Goodell is at least partially able to be challenged, it will continue to happen

Honestly, I am surprised that it took this long for someone to file against Goodell. The fact that he is in charge of the investigating, handing out punishment, & of all things hearing any appeals to his own rulings. To me it's not so much about Vilma actually winning, more about knocking Goodell down a peg. If this happens, it would be a success.While I never wanted to see it happen, I think until the players or coaches feel that Goodell is at least partially able to be challenged, it will continue to happen
How would his suit knock him down a peg if the NFL and Goodell easily win?And I doubt this suit changes how NFL suspensions and appeals are done.

Users who are viewing this thread