What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vince Young (1 Viewer)

Eagle Eye

Footballguy
This was the week he had to step up to avoid the BUST label. He's got it now. No improvement in the passing game and the Rushing TDs aren't coming anymore.

Time to bail? Buy low?

He's no bust, that's not a very wise statement.

He still doesn't have 16 starts and showed his inexperience. Big deal

hopefully his awful play this weekend will get him more focused. I think he was starting to get a big head.

He really needs to scramble more when there is no one open and not force the ball.

(I'm sure McNabb would love my comments)

He's no bust, that's not a very wise statement.He still doesn't have 16 starts and showed his inexperience. Big deal
I meant a fantasy bust in 2007.
Why would he be your starter?He's an FF backup.For NFL, he's got a very nice W-L record and a game management ability that is already terrific despite his young age and inexperience.

He's no bust, that's not a very wise statement.He still doesn't have 16 starts and showed his inexperience. Big deal
Why would he be your starter?He's an FF backup.For NFL, he's got a very nice W-L record and a game management ability that is already terrific despite his young age and inexperience.
Most every staff member had him in their top 12. He went in the top 12 QBs in most every draft I was in. Lots of people expected him to a be ff starter.

He played awful this week by any measure. The Defense won the game for them in spite of VY.He's not an every week starter, but I expected some big games against weak Ds like Atlanta. I'm sure I'm not the only one who figured he'd be a nice QBBC guy for the year.

it depend on your league format.

mine scores 10 yds rushing = 1 pt 50 yds passing =1pt.

So I was figuring on about 30 yards rushing a game plus 150 passing. Thats equivalent to a weekly 300 yrd passer that I can get in the 8th rd. TDs will come and go. I just wasnt counting on so many INTs.

He played awful this week by any measure. The Defense won the game for them in spite of VY.He's not an every week starter, but I expected some big games against weak Ds like Atlanta. I'm sure I'm not the only one who figured he'd be a nice QBBC guy for the year.
He didn't play well this week that's for sure but like I said above he showed his inexperience. That shouldn't have surprised you that much. Every young QB seems to have some outings like that

Two part answer. VY was not on his game, and ATL D really stepped up their game. Too bad the offense took about 10 steps back from the last two weeks.

Vince will have these kind of games. We saw it last year. No one should be very surprised by it. The disappointing thing was he played a solid first half, he looked very comfortable out there. If I remember correctly, he was very efficient passing with around 100+ yards. The wheels really fell off in the second half.

He didn't play well this week that's for sure but like I said above he showed his inexperience. That shouldn't have surprised you that much. Every young QB seems to have some outings like that
I was expecting a few clunkers mixed in with a few games big games where he put up nice passing and running stats. Haven't seen one of those yet.

I watched the whole game (had Tenn in Survivor pool!)...I would bet that Fisher really encourages VY to throw less and run more. Fisher is a defense-run game coach and he was obviously dismayed at the turnover rate. The defense took over the game and had the Falcons unable to do anything all day. The run game looked good in the first half but White looks slow and not TOO powerful and Brown is inconsistent, as always. I bet Fisher will be trying to get VY into roll outs so he can see the open field better and be able to run. He could not throw into zone at all and really looked subpar throwing in general. But that is just one fan's perspective.

Tenn will need to win most games with that D. It is very impressive.

Eagle Eye said:
I was expecting a few clunkers mixed in with a few games big games where he put up nice passing and running stats. Haven't seen one of those yet.
Me too, however I'm pretty sure we're wrong here.Last week(and other times but last week comes to mind) Fisher talked about controlling the clock and the more I listen to him the more I think that's all he's gonna be about in 2007. His D is playing terrific because they're fresh. Young can manage the game real well and engineer a nice slow plodding drive. He's got 2 backs to lean on and the QB can run if need be. It seems in slow plodding Os that their WRs will have to make more clutch catches. The week before Brandon Jones was so upset he didn't. Every reporter took note of it in the lockerroom, he called Vince at home. That's the reaction I'm sure Fisher wanted. Moulds should be good for some tough catches even at his age. Roydell had looked improved.Despite Chow's presence, this isn't a fancy O. As Parcells would say "they're gonna punch ya in the mouth then line up and do it again". The only hope for people like us is a few long balls each week.

Young has a nice completion percentage (62%) and appears to have turned into a "game manager" type QB on a team with a pretty good defense and a surprisingly strong running game. I think his problem, from a fantasy football perspective, is a lack of scoring. He only has 4 TDs on the year and I attribute that to the success of the Titans' running game (~120 yards per game from the RBs) and defense (allowing less than 15 points per game). Young just isn't being expected to win games and be their primary scoring threat. I've seen two of the Titans' games and he's look good in both of them, he just hasn't been forced to put up the yardage and TDs.

The Titans are implementing a run-first, clock-controlling offense. And it's obviously working since they're 3-1 with their only loss coming in a close game against Indy. I thought that VY had looked GREAT through the first 3 games of the year. And he's still on pace for 500 yards and 4 TDs on the ground. Unless the coaching staff opens up the playbook and let's Vince toss the ball around, he shouldn't be viewed as a FF starter this year.

The Atl D had a lot of practice going against Vick, so they were probably better prepared to deal with Vince than most teams are.

I can no longet wait for him to Snap out of it. My seaon (On the team I have him) is fading fast. I need better producation out of my QB.

What did you expect with a 2nd year qb? If you expected consistency, then you were just setting yourself up for disappointment

His WR corp sucks (the worst in the leauge); therefore, he will have horrific days. Fairly simple to me. Even with a bad day, they still win and that is all that matters in the NFL. As for fantasy, owners will have to wait unitl the Titans sign a true #1 WR. Until then Young will have a hard time producing viable fantasy passing stats. Also, look at all the new highly drafted QB's that are struggling- ASmith, Leinart, Losman, Cutler, Rivers ect. It takes time to be great in the present day NFL.

like it so often happens in the NFL, QBs get too much credit and blame based on a teams wins and losses. VY still has a long way to go in developing into an NFL QB, that fact has been overshadowed by his W-L record. it's likely that the rest of the titans team have just been underrated for about a year now.

i like VY for alot of reasons, but his team's success has made us forget that he's still a young developing QB.

for fantasy, i don't own VY in any leagues b/c i don't generally want guys who have a chance to put up a 125 yard/ 0-1 TD game frequently. i wouldn't consider him a bust though, he's doing what was expected. alot of (fantasy) stinkers mixed in with some games where his running yardage makes for some nice fantasy production. by the end of the season, i could easily see him finishing with top 10-12 points as many predicted, but the inconsistency will be maddening to his owners. when you draft a QB who relies on his legs for fantasy points, it's just the way it is.

His WR corp sucks (the worst in the leauge); therefore, he will have horrific days. Fairly simple to me. Even with a bad day, they still win and that is all that matters in the NFL. As for fantasy, owners will have to wait unitl the Titans sign a true #1 WR. Until then Young will have a hard time producing viable fantasy passing stats. Also, look at all the new highly drafted QB's that are struggling- ASmith, Leinart, Losman, Cutler, Rivers ect. It takes time to be great in the present day NFL.
ahhh, the great "WRs suck" theory. wasn't michael vick waiting forever to have some decent WRs? the same ones that are starting to look like real NFL WRs (and i like vick). i'm not saying VY isn't a good, young QB b/c he is. just that, if he doesn't develop into a better passer, he can't blame the WRs. i've seen too many QBs make marginal to poor WRs look good (brady, mcnabb, schaub, etc) to accept that excuse anymore.

I can no longet wait for him to Snap out of it. My seaon (On the team I have him) is fading fast. I need better producation out of my QB.
Well, the mistake you made was allowing Young to infiltrate and help destroy your fantasy chances. You won't be getting better production out of a QB like this guy.

What did you expect with a 2nd year qb? If you expected consistency, then you were just setting yourself up for disappointment
He's been consistenly bad. I was expecting inconsistency and would be fine with his crap outings if he could sneak into the weekly top 5 every now and then. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
What is killing me... is they are winning without him running.

Last year when he started running more, they started winning. Concluded it would be more of the same. :shrug:

What is killing me... is they are winning without him running.Last year when he started running more, they started winning. Concluded it would be more of the same. :lmao:
He's a 2nd year QB....WTF WERE YOU THINKING! (apparently, that's what your supposed to do in this thread)

ahhh, the great "WRs suck" theory. wasn't michael vick waiting forever to have some decent WRs? the same ones that are starting to look like real NFL WRs (and i like vick). i'm not saying VY isn't a good, young QB b/c he is. just that, if he doesn't develop into a better passer, he can't blame the WRs. i've seen too many QBs make marginal to poor WRs look good (brady, mcnabb, schaub, etc) to accept that excuse anymore.
It is not a "theory" troll. The Titans screwed Young by letting go all of their vetern WR's. Not only is the WR corp young, but they are not any good. A QB can only do so much with garbage. Just look at Brady, he had an awful WR group in 2006 and ended the year ranked #7. You give him Moss, Stallworth and Welker and guess what, he is ranked #1. The quality of WR's do matter.

What is killing me... is they are winning without him running.Last year when he started running more, they started winning. Concluded it would be more of the same. :hey:
He's a 2nd year QB....WTF WERE YOU THINKING! (apparently, that's what your supposed to do in this thread)
I was thinking Vince Young would continue to do what Vince Young did in college and in the pros his rookie year to lead his team to victories. And that is - run very well most games.

Okay enough is enough, a lot of the posts in this thread are....eeeesh, anyway...

First, VY had been pretty good prior to this game vs Atlanta. Jacksonville is shutting down all passing games and has VY's number and he managed a rushing TD in that game which should have gave him a respectable fantasy score. Indy has been tough on QBs for a few years now and VY put up a good game vs them. And while he didn't torch New Orleans, he certainly had a good game that week as well. This game vs Atlanta was horrible, but most QBs are going to have a few weeks like this during a year.

Second, 2nd year QBs make huge strides historically. It's been shown that if a QB does not show improvement and/or effectiveness in his 2nd year, then it's likely he never will. So any talk about "relying on a 2nd year QB is stupid" is just ######ed when you see what VY did last year.

Third, if you were expecting him to throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs even semi-regularly then you were mistaken. He's not that type of QB. He's going to get good combo yardage and be involved in a high % of his teams TD plays which is what will make him valuable over the long haul.

The Atl D had a lot of practice going against Vick, so they were probably better prepared to deal with Vince than most teams are.
They also have a lot of speed on defense thanks to Jim Mora (as well as a lack of size, strength, and tackling ability)

It is not a "theory" troll. The Titans screwed Young by letting go all of their vetern WR's. Not only is the WR corp young, but they are not any good. A QB can only do so much with garbage. Just look at Brady, he had an awful WR group in 2006 and ended the year ranked #7. You give him Moss, Stallworth and Welker and guess what, he is ranked #1. The quality of WR's do matter.
Just because the wideouts aren't household names doesn't mean they "suck." Brandon Jones has been solid except for dropping the big pass in the Indy game. Moulds has been MUCH more then anyone expected. And they're getting a lot out of Justin Gage. The WRs aren't why YOung's stats aren't great.Whoever said he's turned in to a game-manager hit the nail on the head. He's being asked to complete a high % of short to medium passes and to hand off the ball a ton. This team is going to run and then run some more, sprinkling in the occassional 6 yard swing pass or 12 yard curl. As a Titans fan, this is a great use of Young b/c he has the footspeed to add another dimension to the game. He hasn't been called upon to use the scrambling a ton, but has been effective on the ground when necessary. As long as they are winning, don't expect much to change.

I dont mind the bad games as long as he has really good ones.. And this year he does not. Im switching to Warner like i did in 99..hope it ends the same :goodposting:

Just because the wideouts aren't household names doesn't mean they "suck." Brandon Jones has been solid except for dropping the big pass in the Indy game. Moulds has been MUCH more then anyone expected. And they're getting a lot out of Justin Gage. The WRs aren't why YOung's stats aren't great.Whoever said he's turned in to a game-manager hit the nail on the head. He's being asked to complete a high % of short to medium passes and to hand off the ball a ton. This team is going to run and then run some more, sprinkling in the occassional 6 yard swing pass or 12 yard curl. As a Titans fan, this is a great use of Young b/c he has the footspeed to add another dimension to the game. He hasn't been called upon to use the scrambling a ton, but has been effective on the ground when necessary. As long as they are winning, don't expect much to change.
I simply disagree. I say they suck and are part of the reason Young's stats are not good. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have watched all the games. The WRs are very poor. BJ has dropped a couple balls that would have been huge.

Scaife has not been catching balls as good regularly also. They need a stud WR, badly.

Just because the wideouts aren't household names doesn't mean they "suck." Brandon Jones has been solid except for dropping the big pass in the Indy game. Moulds has been MUCH more then anyone expected. And they're getting a lot out of Justin Gage. The WRs aren't why YOung's stats aren't great.

Whoever said he's turned in to a game-manager hit the nail on the head. He's being asked to complete a high % of short to medium passes and to hand off the ball a ton. This team is going to run and then run some more, sprinkling in the occassional 6 yard swing pass or 12 yard curl. As a Titans fan, this is a great use of Young b/c he has the footspeed to add another dimension to the game. He hasn't been called upon to use the scrambling a ton, but has been effective on the ground when necessary. As long as they are winning, don't expect much to change.
He dropped a sure TD this week. He had the freakin' ball in his lap and dropped it. Add that to his game, and it wasn't as bad.

Can you name 5 Teams that Brandon Jones would be the #1 WR on? I think it's safe to say that Tennessee has the Worst WR corps in the League. If they're not the worst, they're not the 3rd worst either. :lmao:

Minnesota. Jacksonville.

One aspect of the Titans I have been really impressed by is their line. They create a great pocket for Vince and give him a lot of time. John Abraham had his worst game of the season yesterday, he'd been camping out in opposing backfields up until then.

Young has a nice completion percentage (62%) and appears to have turned into a "game manager" type QB on a team with a pretty good defense and a surprisingly strong running game. I think his problem, from a fantasy football perspective, is a lack of scoring. He only has 4 TDs on the year and I attribute that to the success of the Titans' running game (~120 yards per game from the RBs) and defense (allowing less than 15 points per game). Young just isn't being expected to win games and be their primary scoring threat. I've seen two of the Titans' games and he's look good in both of them, he just hasn't been forced to put up the yardage and TDs.
They had a strong running game and a very strong defense last year (tied Chicago for points score by a defense) and Vince managed to be the #8 QB in PPG once he started playing full games. Right now he's the #23 QB in terms of PPG. I'm not sure what happened (the running yards just aren't there), but he's been a big fantasy disappointment so far.

Users who are viewing this thread