What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vincent Jackson's Return (wk 12) (1 Viewer)

inca911

Footballguy
VJax is officially back this week (wk 12). With all the WR injury issues in SD and the uncertainty with Gates, plus Rivers on track to break Marino's record, I'm expecting a decent game against the Colts this week. Something in the 7 for 70 range, with a good chance at a TD.

Floyd seemed to disappear after the first quarter last night, and I have to wonder if the hammy was slowing him down. Crayton's TD reception wrist injury could put him out as well. Naanee was also inactive.

The Colts have an average passing defense this year, allowing 13 PaTD vs. the league average of 15. Of course, part of that is the fact that they are second only to the Bills in RuYd allowed. It's a prime time Sunday night game, and VJax certainly should have the motivation to do well.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Rivers continues to throw 4 TD's per game, Jackson should be the recipient of at least 1 and maybe 2. I expect at least 90 yds and a TD.

If Rivers continues to throw 4 TD's per game, Jackson should be the recipient of at least 1 and maybe 2. I expect at least 90 yds and a TD.
Agree. This should be a shoot out and I would be shocked if VJAX ends up with anything less than 6/80 and at least a TD. It is extremely unusual (and, I know, bold of me to say) that a player playing in his first game after such a lay off would be such a given but I honestly think this is one of the safest plays that can be made this week.

Ok guys calm down, temper your expectations this week for VJ. You have been warned!

Its nice for the lack of depth right now for Rivers, but he could just as easily be used as a decoy, not be in on all the snaps, yada yada

And remember VJ could care less if the Chargers go to the playoffs/sb

:lmao:

Are you folks starting him right out of the gate here? Or are you waiting a couple weeks to see what gives? I'm fairly deep at WR (Wayne, Stevie Johnson, Colston my starters), and while I'm tempted to plug him in as my #3, I'm also thinking it may make sense to see if he is really "back" before plugging him in. For a team with garbage options at your last WR spot, I get starting him, but if you're in the thick of it at this point you likely have decent WR options across the board, and so why mess up a good thing with a question mark?

:lmao:Are you folks starting him right out of the gate here? Or are you waiting a couple weeks to see what gives? I'm fairly deep at WR (Wayne, Stevie Johnson, Colston my starters), and while I'm tempted to plug him in as my #3, I'm also thinking it may make sense to see if he is really "back" before plugging him in. For a team with garbage options at your last WR spot, I get starting him, but if you're in the thick of it at this point you likely have decent WR options across the board, and so why mess up a good thing with a question mark?
Since my blockbuster acquisition of Randy Moss has turned out so well VJ will be placed immediately into my starting lineup.

:lmao:Are you folks starting him right out of the gate here? Or are you waiting a couple weeks to see what gives? I'm fairly deep at WR (Wayne, Stevie Johnson, Colston my starters), and while I'm tempted to plug him in as my #3, I'm also thinking it may make sense to see if he is really "back" before plugging him in. For a team with garbage options at your last WR spot, I get starting him, but if you're in the thick of it at this point you likely have decent WR options across the board, and so why mess up a good thing with a question mark?
I don't think it is that risky of a play. Of course it depends on your lineup. But, my flex choices at this point are Brandon Marshall, LeGarrette Blount or VJax. Marshall is injured and probably needs to be benched regardless....Blount faces the Ravens. I am sure this scenario is similar to many other teams. And the point about him not caring about this team is completely irrelevant to me. I think if anyone is factoring that into the decision making process for your fantasy lineup is clearly overthinking things.

He's in shape and has been practicing with the team for the last month. Combine that with the fact that Rivers loves throwing to him and the rest of the TE/WR's are all banged up and I see no reason why he can't have a great game right out of the gate

:popcorn:Are you folks starting him right out of the gate here? Or are you waiting a couple weeks to see what gives? I'm fairly deep at WR (Wayne, Stevie Johnson, Colston my starters), and while I'm tempted to plug him in as my #3, I'm also thinking it may make sense to see if he is really "back" before plugging him in. For a team with garbage options at your last WR spot, I get starting him, but if you're in the thick of it at this point you likely have decent WR options across the board, and so why mess up a good thing with a question mark?
with Nicks out I have to start VJ. not much of a choice.

I would normally wait a week but think I'll get him in the lineup over Floyd or Bradshaw. Bradshaw frustrating me and the injuries in SD make it easier to jump in with VJ.

I usually start Jennings and Harvin because I only have to start 2 per week and we play in a return ydge league, so I am highly considering him over Harvin this week. Harvin didn't get much production with Rice on the field and the return yards are OK but you need him to take one the distance for it to be worth anything.

I usually start Jennings and Harvin because I only have to start 2 per week and we play in a return ydge league, so I am highly considering him over Harvin this week. Harvin didn't get much production with Rice on the field and the return yards are OK but you need him to take one the distance for it to be worth anything.
I probably start him over someone like Harvin. But I don't start him over someone who is more proven/consistent.

He's already in my lineup. I've been holding onto him for a loooooong time because I am expecting top 5 to top 10 numbers from here on out. He's fresh and ready, going to prove why he deserves to get paid. He's clesrly the best wr on the team according to reports from practice, and the team and coaches couldn't care less about his contract situation. They only care about winning.

It's not like he's coming off an injury or something...actually quite the opposite as he doesn't have the wear and tear so many players are dealing with by this part of the year. It's basically week 1 for him and he's playing for a contract. If you're deep at WR I understand taking the conservative wait and see approach. However, if you have injury issues (lot of WRs going down the last few weeks) and/or need lightning in a bottle as you try to make the playoffs, he seems like a great gamble to me.

All the reports are that he's in great shape and ready to go. He has been at practice for weeks. Crayton got hurt last night, so they definitely need him. It's not in his best interest to get out there and dog it.

Bottom line for me: if he had been unhappy with the contract but reported to camp, he would have been a very early draft pick. I'd have been starting him with confidence out of the gate. The only thing that's changed in terms of what I thought preseason is Phillip Rivers is far exceeding my expectations for this year...so unless there's some secret AJ Smith plan to kill Jackson's value by not playing (him that Norv is going along with), the outlook seems pretty rosy to me.

Nicks out :popcorn: - VJax in :lmao:

I think Rivers is gonna want to test drive VJax immediately...70 and at least one TD. They have been raving about him in practice for 2 weeks...get him in your lineups

It's not like he's coming off an injury or something...actually quite the opposite as he doesn't have the wear and tear so many players are dealing with by this part of the year. It's basically week 1 for him and he's playing for a contract. If you're deep at WR I understand taking the conservative wait and see approach. However, if you have injury issues (lot of WRs going down the last few weeks) and/or need lightning in a bottle as you try to make the playoffs, he seems like a great gamble to me.

All the reports are that he's in great shape and ready to go. He has been at practice for weeks. Crayton got hurt last night, so they definitely need him. It's not in his best interest to get out there and dog it.

Bottom line for me: if he had been unhappy with the contract but reported to camp, he would have been a very early draft pick. I'd have been starting him with confidence out of the gate. The only thing that's changed in terms of what I thought preseason is Phillip Rivers is far exceeding my expectations for this year...so unless there's some secret AJ Smith plan to kill Jackson's value by not playing (him that Norv is going along with), the outlook seems pretty rosy to me.
:lmao:

He's in shape and has been practicing with the team for the last month. Combine that with the fact that Rivers loves throwing to him and the rest of the TE/WR's are all banged up and I see no reason why he can't have a great game right out of the gate
:lmao:Exactly. He will be the WR1 beginning this week. And, unlike previous years when he was the Chargers' WR1, he will also be target #1 beginning this week, thanks to Gates' injury.Rivers is on fire, and other targets are impacted by injuries. I'm starting him.

Its a Sunday night game this week so I'm gonna sit him and see what happens. I have two fairly decent options at receiver starting right now, not terribly in danger of missing the playoffs, so I consider this his audition.

Injuries will definitely play a factor for me.

Collie is trying to figure out what town he's in, Ward is losing out to Wallace and looking long in the tooth. My opponent this week is starting Rivers, so I feel pretty good about starting V-Jax this week.

With BMW hampered, I am in the same boat.

Vjax (healthy, playing for a contract, teaming up with the hottest qb in the league) vs. K Williams or r bush or j best in my flex. No brainer

Just lost Nicks so I'm looking at Bmarsh or VJax. I think i'm going with vjax. I'd expect 6 catches, 70 yards and a TD.

The only real thing to worry about is his attitude. The situation is almost ideal with the team depleted of WRs and desperately needing wins. As long as he is motivated, he could be the #1 WR the rest of the way.

:goodposting:
Agree, excellent take. This could be like a perfect storm coming together. Its the Colts and their mediocre pass defense against the Chargers and their record setting pass offense. Ya think there's gonna be points scored i this one? Sprinkle in how important this game is to both teams. Toss in a dash of injuries to Chargers WRs. Add a pinch of "VJAX is a top 10 FF WR with fresh legs..." Boy, I smell what's cookin'! He is likely going to replace Fitz or Moreno this week for me and neither of those guys are bad options right now, but in a ppr, it seems very safe to think he will have lots of opportunities.Someone else mentioned Fitz above. Just a nugget to chew on. In the 2nd game against the Niners last year, the Niners combo of run game/doubling on Fitz, pressuring Warner to make quick throws really reduced Fitz in that game. Just something to consider.

Ok guys calm down, temper your expectations this week for VJ. You have been warned!

Its nice for the lack of depth right now for Rivers, but he could just as easily be used as a decoy, not be in on all the snaps, yada yada

Did he tell you this personally or do you have a link? No you dont because you are speculating because thats probably what you would do were you in his shoes but this line of thinking is flawed for the following reasons:1. He doesnt have a ring and sure could use one. Those rings sure are purtty

2. He is still good friends with all his team mates and coaches- The GM sucks but all the Chargers players know that.

3. There is no guarantee that the team he plays for next year or the next 10 years wins a super bowl so every year counts

4. The better he looks playing now the more interested other teams will be- see Michael Vick. Jackson wants those suspensions and driving under the influence chargers to be the last thing on GM's minds.

I could go on but you get the point.

Jackson this week will be huge considering him, T.O. and Harvin for my #3 WR position this week and VJ may get the gig.

:goodposting:Are you folks starting him right out of the gate here? Or are you waiting a couple weeks to see what gives? I'm fairly deep at WR (Wayne, Stevie Johnson, Colston my starters), and while I'm tempted to plug him in as my #3, I'm also thinking it may make sense to see if he is really "back" before plugging him in. For a team with garbage options at your last WR spot, I get starting him, but if you're in the thick of it at this point you likely have decent WR options across the board, and so why mess up a good thing with a question mark?
Same boat except the choice part. How Ironic for us that that bench spot that was filled by Vjax gets filled with Nicks the next 3 weeks. I have grown accustomed to that useless bench spot.

Did he tell you this personally or do you have a link? No you dont because you are speculating because thats probably what you would do were you in his shoes but this line of thinking is flawed for the following reasons:1. He doesnt have a ring and sure could use one. Those rings sure are purtty

2. He is still good friends with all his team mates and coaches- The GM sucks but all the Chargers players know that.

3. There is no guarantee that the team he plays for next year or the next 10 years wins a super bowl so every year counts

4. The better he looks playing now the more interested other teams will be- see Michael Vick. Jackson wants those suspensions and driving under the influence chargers to be the last thing on GM's minds.

Jackson this week will be huge considering him, T.O. and Harvin for my #3 WR position this week and VJ may get the gig.
You seriously going to bench TO for VJ this week? wtfAll your reasons are weak sauce, and Vick is staying in Philly he ain't going anywhere else

You seriously going to bench TO for VJ this week? wtfAll your reasons are weak sauce, and Vick is staying in Philly he ain't going anywhere else
No they're not -- while I wouldn't necessarily bench TO for VJ, I am benching TB MWilliams for him -- this could indeed be a perfect storm, with a minimum of 7-70, 1.

You seriously going to bench TO for VJ this week? wtf
TO wil lbe on Revis island.....I would bench TO for lesser options let alone VJax coming back to play with Rivers....VJax > TO in a heartbeat

You seriously going to bench TO for VJ this week? wtf
I would.Rivers is 'on' right now and SD will likely be in a shootout with the Colts.The Bengals are in disarray and now T.O. is matching up with Revis Island.It's not as crazy as you may think.

if you think he's not coming out hot, then so be it. to use that he doesn't want a ring as a reason is ridiculous. it doesn't matter if you are the starting qb or the equipment manager, you want a ring to show off. at this point, he knows he's playing for the chargers until the end of the year. why wouldn't he make the best of it?

I benched Andre Johnson and Greg Jennings against Revis, Both were smart moves although Jennings did produce somewhat because Revis was hobbled. Owens will be benched regardless of who my other options are. As far as the weak sauce comment, regardless of whether Vick stays or leaves Philly, His play on the field has removed his former "Bad actions" from GM's minds. He has played himself into a nice contract. Why wouldnt Vjax do this?

Vincent is a must start. A bunch of hobbled receivers with a QB having an unbelievable year...He's fresh and ready to go prove he wants a new contract. Start him with confidence.

disagree. 1. The decoy thing is for either players new to a team or coming-off-injury players, not someone who knows the playbook, is fully healthy, and has been full practice for a few weeks.

2. I think VJ, like any other player, plays to win and would love a SuperBowl. Bet he loves the chance to audition for his new team (and paycheck) next year, too.

3. Rivers has proven he can get the ball to anyone with a pulse. Gates might be out limited, Floyd/Crayton might be limited... VJax should be the #1 WR in SD this week. I think floor is 6/70/1. Ceiling could be 2-3 TDs. It will be a shootout.

Maybe the question should be...I am starting VJackson over...???

[*]Mario Manningham vJAX (maybe...)

[*]Crabtree @ARI

[*]Welker @DET

[*]Crabtree @ARI

[*]Welker @DET
Over Nicks duh!Over Harvin- great Matchup but I cant trust Farve and Harvins health

Over T.O. -Revis Island

disagree. 1. The decoy thing is for either players new to a team or coming-off-injury players, not someone who knows the playbook, is fully healthy, and has been full practice for a few weeks.

2. I think VJ, like any other player, plays to win and would love a SuperBowl. Bet he loves the chance to audition for his new team (and paycheck) next year, too.

3. Rivers has proven he can get the ball to anyone with a pulse. Gates might be out limited, Floyd/Crayton might be limited... VJax should be the #1 WR in SD this week. I think floor is 6/70/1. Ceiling could be 2-3 TDs. It will be a shootout.

[*]Crabtree @ARI

[*]Welker @DET
In your case I'd bench Crabtree but I'd play Manningham and Welker. IMOVJ is extremely higher risk / high reward than most believe. Maybe it because you drafted VJ high, maybe its because your season is in jeopardy and you have extremely mediocre options. In those cases, fine, take the guy that is playing the first game of the season with minimum NFL wage and STILL in a pissing contest with the owner and GM. He does have a decent ceiling, I know I owned him last year too, but he's not a stud like Andre J or Roddy W this year, don't fool yourself into believing that. Wait a week if you can..

Yes, starting him in place of Nicks. Expecting 153 yards and 2 TD. Injuries to other players and Rivers is hot. Colts give up a lot of fantasy points to WR, 7th most in my weird league format. And I just feel like throwing a big number out there instead of the usual 75-90 yards + 1 TD. If you're expecting a 50 yard game and zero TD then you are being too pessimistic. 70 yard floor in my opinion and outside the RBs, he has the best chance to score a TD. Good play and since I played Seyi out of nowhere and that worked out well, I can't see not doing the same with VJax considering he actually had chemistry and skill to begin with. It's not that people have confidence in Vjax, I think it's really about the level of confidence in Rivers. It really comes down to opportunity and if Gates and Floyd are out on a short week, he will get a good shot with the hottest QB in the league. If he sucks then oh well, that's fantasy, but there's enough good here to warrant a start.

[*]Crabtree @ARI

[*]Welker @DET
In your case I'd bench Crabtree but I'd play Manningham and Welker. IMOVJ is extremely higher risk / high reward than most believe. Maybe it because you drafted VJ high, maybe its because your season is in jeopardy and you have extremely mediocre options. In those cases, fine, take the guy that is playing the first game of the season with minimum NFL wage and STILL in a pissing contest with the owner and GM. He does have a decent ceiling, I know I owned him last year too, but he's not a stud like Andre J or Roddy W this year, don't fool yourself into believing that. Wait a week if you can..
Although Manningham will see increased targets from Manning in Nicks and Smiths absence he will now draw the #1 DB or double teams. If the Giants establish the run game I think it will open up things somewhat for Manningham. Close call I suppose.

I've been scrapping by in the two leagues I have him, so he is going right into my lineup. I expect a big game.

[*]Crabtree @ARI

[*]Welker @DET
VJ is extremely higher risk / high reward than most believe. Maybe it because you drafted VJ high, maybe its because your season is in jeopardy and you have extremely mediocre options. In those cases, fine, take the guy that is playing the first game of the season with minimum NFL wage and STILL in a pissing contest with the owner and GM. He does have a decent ceiling, I know I owned him last year too, but he's not a stud like Andre J or Roddy W this year, don't fool yourself into believing that. Wait a week if you can..
Are you also one of those guys that still thinks Arian foster is just a fad? If you're going to cite his wages and despute with the GM as REASONS he may not perform well, then you also need to include them as reasons he MAY produce well. The better he does, the more $$ his next check will be/more interest he commands. The better he does, the more he basically makes AJ Smith look like a deuche and stirs people into thinking "What if we had him all year". Add that to al the common sense reasons (healthy, fresh legs, #1 receiver on the team, limited options, must win game, most prolific passing game going, potential shootout game) and I don't know how you DON'T start him over guys that are knicked up, playing against Revis, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread