What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Defense for Week 16 (1 Viewer)

hines

Footballguy
looking ahead for possible title game defenses. I have Carolina and won't be playing them and I'm scouring the waiver wire for options:

Rams vs Tampa

Browns at Jets

Lions vs NYG

Bills vs Dolphins

Patriots at Ravens

are options that will possibly be out there for most people. getting them now is important because most people will be focused on this week and not worried about next

Tampa is playing pretty well right now, they aren't turning the ball over a lot, but are on the road at a good defense in the Rams.

Jets have been horrendous but Browns are just so-so.

Giants will be eliminated facing a fired up Lions D at home.

Dolphins have been playing well also, but it could be a cold, windy day in Buffalo vs a sack happy defense.

Don't like Pats at Ravens at all

my ranks

1. Lions

2. Browns

3. Rams

4. Bills

5. Patriots

what do you guys think and what other options might be out there?

Browns for me. I see Lions-Giants being pretty high-scoring, so you'd be hoping for turnovers, which is a bit risky in the playoffs.

Browns for me. I see Lions-Giants being pretty high-scoring, so you'd be hoping for turnovers, which is a bit risky in the playoffs.
Giants haven't been lighting it up lately. I know there is a high risk factor here (can easily see a random Eli 300/3 TD game) but Giants have been best offense to use your fantasy D against

I have Pittsburgh or Miami for week 16.

Pittsburgh plays up in Green Bay but they are a cold weather team anyway so I'm not worried about that. It looks more and more likely that Aaron Rodgers isn't coming back and the Packers look like a matchup to exploit with Matt Flynn and the possibility that Lacy misses action. That's my primary defense.

Miami at Buffalo is a good matchup as well. Buffalo has been awful lately, and Miami is fighting hard for the playoffs. Buffalo might be already on vacation in their minds.

Couldn't resist Detroit

they will eat up Eli with pressure

I see 3-4 sacks, 2 INT's and hopefully a pick 6.

I doubt the Giants score 14-17 points.

GO LIONS = CHAMPIONSHIP

I went ahead and just grabbed all that I could and hoped to play keep away dst from my opponents. I'd be interested to know an update of the rankings of these. Browns are still the top choice for me since it is the safest I think out of the group.

Hope I get there, starting the Eagles VS AP-less, Gerhart-less and Carlson-less Vikings this week.

I picked up the Rams a few weeks ago to cover Carolina for both of the NO games. But I dropped them last week and will probably just roll with the Panthers. Don't love the match-up, but they should do better at home (and with Brees on grass), plus I have zero trust in the Rams. Their biggest games come out of nowhere (Colts, Saints) and they routinely crap the bed against bad opponents.

will be interested to see DET tomorrow night, if they look decent, I will feel very good rolling them out against a decrepit Giants team

I have the Browns/Dallas available in my league, I'm leaning towards Browns vs Geno

The Cowboys are an option I haven't seen discussed yet, they are going up against a bad Redskins team. I could see a couple turnovers in that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Browns stashed away for this reason with Carolina being my "regular" defense and there's nothing interesting on the waiver. Some defense might get dropped, so let's wait and see.

For most of the season, Bengals have been lights out at home, terrible on the road. Unfortunately, the exceptions to both have come in the past three weeks (played well @ SD, poorly vs Indy). It doesn't really matter since it's my third-place game, but I'm going to roll them out in one league. I really don't think Minny offense is all that good; Philly D is just that bad.

The Cowboys are an option I haven't seen discussed yet, they are going up against a bad Redskins team. I could see a couple turnovers in that one.
I wouldn't trust the Cowboys D against my local Pop Warner team.

They went up against a supposedly weak Packers team with Matt Flynn at QB, and look how that turned out.

Detroit vs NYG

SD vs Oak

TEN @ Jax - nothing to like here really, but to my surprise the Bills actually put up ~14 in their game vs the Jags this week.

Detroit has become my top pick. Hope they dont play too well tonight so my opponent doesnt grab them.

I stashed Tennessee but I'm not liking that match up very much anymore.... They just don't do anything but my only other real option is Buffalo....wire is picked clean

i got the broncos @ houston in one league and det vs nyg in another.

however, im waiting for the chachinator to make an appearance and recommendation after he just nailed the cardinals play. ty buddy.

Beware playing the crappy defense with the great matchup.

Seems like nobody learned from the PHI D debacle that cost people championships.

And I'm talking about the DET D. That is not a good defense. Facing Eli sure, but as we saw with Cassel, strange things can happen.

Something to keep an eye on, although it's Geno Smith afterall:

Joe Haden - DB - Browns

Browns CB Joe Haden (hip) said Monday he is not sure whether he'll be able to play in Week 16 against the Jets.

Haden has not been playing well lately, anyway, allowing a touchdown pass in four consecutive games, including one to Brandon Marshall in Sunday's loss to the Bears. We'll update Haden's availability again later this week.

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter

Seems like nobody learned from the PHI D debacle that cost people championships.

And I'm talking about the DET D. That is not a good defense. Facing Eli sure, but as we saw with Cassel, strange things can happen.
Fair enough, but Cassel and Eli have been trending quite differently over the last several weeks. And though Det D has a suspect secondary, they are fierce upfront and aren't hampered by an ultra fast-paced offense that leaves them out to dry like in Philly.

Lastly, Det plays at home vs. Eli next week, while Philly was on the road yesterday. And they are in a dogfight with two other teams for their division. Let's see how they look tonight, then proceed (with caution of course). As of right now, there are lots of reasons to like Det better this coming week, than Phi last.

The lesson's all of a day old. Kind of being harsh with all us PHI eediots no?

Looking at Vegas lines:

TEN -5.5 @ JAX, projected to give up 19 points

PHI -3 @ CHI, 26 points

BUF + 2.5 v MIA, 23 points (hate having a defense that's an underdog)

STL -5 v TB, 19 points

CLE +2 v NYJ, 20 points (dogs)

SD -10 v OAK, 20 points

CLE/NYJ has the lowest O/U (40.5)

No line on NE/BAL or DET/NYG yet, pending tonight's action. Also no line on GB/PIT pending Aaron Rodgers status.

Fair enough, but Cassel and Eli have been trending quite differently over the last several weeks. And though Det D has a suspect secondary, they are fierce upfront and aren't hampered by an ultra fast-paced offense that leaves them out to dry like in Philly.

Lastly, Det plays at home vs. Eli next week, while Philly was on the road yesterday. And they are in a dogfight with two other teams for their division. Let's see how they look tonight, then proceed (with caution of course). As of right now, there are lots of reasons to like Det better this coming week, than Phi last.
Cruz dinged or worse too

The Eagles had been playing well for fantasy of late, though. So it wasn't really a case of reaching for a crap defense due to the matchup. This was a solid fantasy defense with a seemingly strong matchup. Philly was even on the road where its typically played much better this season. There were plenty of signs which pointed positively for the Eagles but as so often happens in this game things took a bizarre turn and everything went south in a hurry. .

What are every one's thoughts on the Bills? Tanehill gets hit a ton and the bills always get their sacks.

Maybe the thing to realize was that the Vikes have been better on offense with Cassel than anyone has really realized much less been talking about.

What are every one's thoughts on the Bills? Tanehill gets hit a ton and the bills always get their sacks.
I've hung on to BUF just in case the warm weather dolphins have to head into some crazy weather in Buffalo.

Plus, could be a let down game after a big victory for Miami over NE.

Maybe the thing to realize was that the Vikes have been better on offense with Cassel than anyone has really realized much less been talking about.
Should rephrase this:

* Beware of crappy defenses with good matchups ON THE ROAD.

Maybe DET doesn't apply since they're at home.

Now if Flacco lights them up for 300+, 3 TDs DET is one less option for me to worry about this week.

Users who are viewing this thread