What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Weather ALERT: Ike has ticket for Cle-Pitt (2 Viewers)

qbcowboy

Footballguy
First Houston/Balt game, now Ike is planning to show-up in Cleveland Sunday night, just in-time for the Browns-Steelers game. Current forecast is heavy rain with 30-40 mph winds. FANTASY ALERT!

So....pretty much Cleveland weather...what a hellmouth.

But seriously, I got Big Ben and Edwards going, so not good news at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ehhh, guess I'll have to sit Holmes & plug-in Vincent Jackson or Roddy White....ugh. I was looking forward to this Matchup for Santonio

I'll wait and see what the Cleveland weather forecast says tomorrow morning. Right now it says it won't be windy tomorrow night at gametime. I don't care about the rain, it's the wind that would cause me to possibly change a player.

that would render Holmes useless, again. not to mention I have to go replace Jeff Reed now
I'll wait and see what the Cleveland weather forecast says tomorrow morning. Right now it says it won't be windy tomorrow night at gametime. I don't care about the rain, it's the wind that would cause me to possibly change a player.
I do worry about Holmes in this game. The Cleveland secondary looked awful week 1, but 30 mph winds is ridiculous. I may sit him in favor of Tony Gonzalez.

I agree. Rain isn't good but it's not the end of the world. It's the winds that cause problems with the passing games and the kickers. Anything over 20-25 mph in my opinion would become a potential problem.

Local weather doesn't expect the remains of Ike to hit Cleveland until Monday, wind may be a problem but they're only reporting a 50/50 chance of rain right now.

Local weather doesn't expect the remains of Ike to hit Cleveland until Monday, wind may be a problem but they're only reporting a 50/50 chance of rain right now.
That's not what the Weather Channel just said. Looks more like 8PM.

Those benching Holmes will regret it.

Wind: Ben's arm is strong enough for any weather.

Rain: One DB stumbles on a quick slant, and Santonio is gone for 80 yards.

Start him with confidence.

Those benching Holmes will regret it.Wind: Ben's arm is strong enough for any weather.Rain: One DB stumbles on a quick slant, and Santonio is gone for 80 yards.Start him with confidence.
See my worry isn't the wind here, it's the fact that the Steelers ran the ball all over the place last week and Holmes got few looks. If they go to Ward like they did last week and Willie and company go off - Holmes may have another down week.

I've seen plenty of Great QB FF performances in very windy games. The Northeast (Philly, Giants Stadium, and even Patriots) always has extremely windy games in November & December.

30-40 mph winds? Really? You think Ben can:

1) throw deep against this wind and not have any affect on his ball.

2) adjust for the wind when it is going with him or Santonio can catch up to the ball being carried at that speed

3) the wind won't affect the ball other than in vertical directions

Rain is not so bad, but wind has got to be a huge problem for receivers, especially deep threats like Holmes.

2) adjust for the wind when it is going with him or Santonio can catch up to the ball being carried at that speed

Rain is not so bad, but wind has got to be a huge problem for receivers, especially deep threats like Holmes.
Yup...and if it's bad weather, a run-first team like Pitt will only run more. Hate to do it, but if the weather looks to be as bad as the current forecast, Vincent Jackson will be going into my lineup; just glad the Debv/SD game is a late afternoon game so I have more time to decide.

Yup...and if it's bad weather, a run-first team like Pitt will only run more. Hate to do it, but if the weather looks to be as bad as the current forecast, Vincent Jackson will be going into my lineup; just glad the Debv/SD game is a late afternoon game so I have more time to decide.
Might have to sit Big Ben for (gulp) Rivers @ DEN. :moneybag:

Might have to sit Big Ben for (gulp) Rivers @ DEN. :moneybag:
Talking about Big Ben..had him twice in that NBC $100k contest..went and change that fast (100k and perfect score).

I live in Ontario almost directly across Lake Erie from Cleveland and this is what Environment Canada is forecasting for our region:

A HEAVY RAINFALL EVENT IS SPREADING ACROSS THE REGIONS. EXTREME RAINFALL AMOUNTS THREATEN SOUTHWESTERN ONTARIO.

TWO MAJOR SYSTEMS WILL GIVE HEAVY RAIN TO THE WARNED REGIONS OVER THE NEXT 36 HOURS. THE FIRST IS A FRONTAL SYSTEM WHICH WILL LIE ACROSS THE AREA TONIGHT INTO SUNDAY. THE SECOND WILL BE THE REMAINS OF HURRICANE IKE WHICH WILL RACE ACROSS SOUTHERN ONTARIO LATE SUNDAY. SOUTHWESTERN ONTARIO IS EXPECTED TO RECEIVE THE MOST EXTREME RAINFALL AMOUNTS. RAIN AT TIMES HEAVY ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONT WILL GIVE 50 TO 100 MILLIMETRES TO MANY LOCALES. AS OF 2:00 PM WINDSOR HAD ALREADY RECEIVED 42 MILLIMETRES. THE RAIN WILL TAPER OFF SOMEWHAT TONIGHT..ONLY TO BECOME VERY HEAVY SUNDAY AFTERNOON AS IKE MOVES THROUGH. AN ADDITIONAL 50 TO POSSIBLY 100 MILLIMETRES ARE EXPECTED FROM IKE. AS A RESULT SOME PLACES WILL RECEIVE AS MUCH AS 150 TO 200 MILLIMETRES OF RAIN BY SUNDAY NIGHT. FURTHERMORE THERE IS THE ADDITIONAL THREAT FOR ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS TO DEVELOP GIVING LOCALLY EVEN HIGHER AMOUNTS. FOR AREAS FURTHER NORTHEAST..INCLUDING THE TORONTO AREA..ABOUT 20 TO 30 MILLIMETRES IS EXPECTED FROM THE FRONTAL SYSTEM OVERNIGHT INTO SUNDAY. THE RAIN WILL TAPER OFF FOR A PERIOD DURING THE DAY SUNDAY..TO BE FOLLOWED BY AN ADDITIONAL 50 MILLIMETRES AS TORRENTIAL RAIN FROM IKE MOVES THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING. THE HEAVY RAIN WILL END OVER ALL OF THE WARNED REGIONS SUNDAY NIGHT. ENVIRONMENT CANADA WILL CONTINUE MONITOR THIS SITUATION CLOSELY.

Approx. 25 mm = 1 inch
I was just having some fun. Well only partially because it has been years since I bothered with the metric system. :mellow:Seriously, thanks to everyone providing updated weather info. Keep it coming because with the game being tomorrow night a lot of people may have to make lineup adjustments several hours before the game is played.

how much do you have to consider this to bench Holmes, considering you are facing both Anderson and Edwards?

how much do you have to consider this to bench Holmes, considering you are facing both Anderson and Edwards?
If the winds are bad I'd be very reluctant to start any of the following:RoethlisbergerAndersonHolmesReedDawsonI'd feel a little better about guys like Edwards, Ward and Winslow because I think they could catch some intermediate routes and be decent. But even with those guys I think the potential for very little production is high if the winds are bad. I only have Roethlisberger to worry about, but if the winds are in excess of 25 mph I'm sitting him despite the great matchup. If the winds are in excess of 20 mph I'll probably sit him. If the winds are under 20 mph I'll start him unless it's a monsoon or something with the rain.

don't bench a player just on weather. Both qbs have strong arms, and strong running games. That means play action possibilities with DB's falling down left and right. In inclement weather knowing where you are going (instead of reacting to anthers movements) can be a big advantage.

If the winds are bad I'd be very reluctant to start any of the following:RoethlisbergerAndersonHolmesReedDawsonI'd feel a little better about guys like Edwards, Ward and Winslow because I think they could catch some intermediate routes and be decent. But even with those guys I think the potential for very little production is high if the winds are bad. I only have Roethlisberger to worry about, but if the winds are in excess of 25 mph I'm sitting him despite the great matchup. If the winds are in excess of 20 mph I'll probably sit him. If the winds are under 20 mph I'll start him unless it's a monsoon or something with the rain.
Unless the winds are 40 or over, i would have to have a good reason to bench Ward. He'll be option 1 every time ben goes back, or feels pressure.

don't bench a player just on weather. Both qbs have strong arms, and strong running games. That means play action possibilities with DB's falling down left and right. In inclement weather knowing where you are going (instead of reacting to anthers movements) can be a big advantage.
I agree that it's not a good idea to overreact but the post earlier about the Steelers-Dolphins game of last year is a good one in my opinion. If people remember that game, it was absolutely horrible and neither team tried to throw the ball much at all. Roethlisberger passed for 165/0 in that game. If the weather is bad tomorrow, the Steelers won't need to throw the ball in all probability to beat the Browns. They can just go with Fast Willie and Mendenhall all day. So I do think Roethlisberger owners need to be prepared to sit him. Maybe Anderson owners can gamble thinking the Browns' best chance to win is through the air, but as I posted above, I'd be very leery of Anderson as well if the weather is bad.

I live in Ontario almost directly across Lake Erie from Cleveland and this is what Environment Canada is forecasting for our region:

A HEAVY RAINFALL EVENT IS SPREADING ACROSS THE REGIONS. EXTREME RAINFALL AMOUNTS THREATEN SOUTHWESTERN ONTARIO.

TWO MAJOR SYSTEMS WILL GIVE HEAVY RAIN TO THE WARNED REGIONS OVER THE NEXT 36 HOURS. THE FIRST IS A FRONTAL SYSTEM WHICH WILL LIE ACROSS THE AREA TONIGHT INTO SUNDAY. THE SECOND WILL BE THE REMAINS OF HURRICANE IKE WHICH WILL RACE ACROSS SOUTHERN ONTARIO LATE SUNDAY. SOUTHWESTERN ONTARIO IS EXPECTED TO RECEIVE THE MOST EXTREME RAINFALL AMOUNTS. RAIN AT TIMES HEAVY ASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONT WILL GIVE 50 TO 100 MILLIMETRES TO MANY LOCALES. AS OF 2:00 PM WINDSOR HAD ALREADY RECEIVED 42 MILLIMETRES. THE RAIN WILL TAPER OFF SOMEWHAT TONIGHT..ONLY TO BECOME VERY HEAVY SUNDAY AFTERNOON AS IKE MOVES THROUGH. AN ADDITIONAL 50 TO POSSIBLY 100 MILLIMETRES ARE EXPECTED FROM IKE. AS A RESULT SOME PLACES WILL RECEIVE AS MUCH AS 150 TO 200 MILLIMETRES OF RAIN BY SUNDAY NIGHT. FURTHERMORE THERE IS THE ADDITIONAL THREAT FOR ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS TO DEVELOP GIVING LOCALLY EVEN HIGHER AMOUNTS. FOR AREAS FURTHER NORTHEAST..INCLUDING THE TORONTO AREA..ABOUT 20 TO 30 MILLIMETRES IS EXPECTED FROM THE FRONTAL SYSTEM OVERNIGHT INTO SUNDAY. THE RAIN WILL TAPER OFF FOR A PERIOD DURING THE DAY SUNDAY..TO BE FOLLOWED BY AN ADDITIONAL 50 MILLIMETRES AS TORRENTIAL RAIN FROM IKE MOVES THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING. THE HEAVY RAIN WILL END OVER ALL OF THE WARNED REGIONS SUNDAY NIGHT. ENVIRONMENT CANADA WILL CONTINUE MONITOR THIS SITUATION CLOSELY.
Have your local constables been rationing lower case letters in advance of Ike?

Users who are viewing this thread