What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (3 Viewers)

Ok. Trying to convince the wife to cut the cord (well satellite) on DTV.

It’s $250/mo.

I rarely watch tv. Can’t stand it personally. But my wife does.

She claims she needs HBO and Showtime. And then the normal channels like HGTV, TLC, stuff like that.

All I need is my NHL/NY islander games.

Shes concerned about our internet being overloaded and it effecting a streaming service.

We already have Netflix, Disney, Hulu, ESPN+ (local games blacked out), and Amazon.

My kids don’t watch TV, just streaming and I would need a new tv for our bedroom bc that’s the last one that’s not “smart”.

Give me to ammo to dump this money sucker.
Thanks for posting this. With DTV losing the NFL I‘m in the same situation (except me and the wife are like your wife in our viewing habits). I want to dump DTV and make the switch to YTTV but am nervous too.

Man, the first post here (in 2011) was a guy streaming Netflix on a wii. Man how the industry has changed and evolved since.

We trimmed our cable about 6 years ago, and then fully cut it maybe 3 years ago. So glad we did. We have Xfinity (comcast) for internet, so that means we get free Peacock. We already had Netflix and Prime (mostly for shipping with prime). We were gifted Disney plus for Xmas from family, and have kept that and added Hulu and espn for that full package. I added sling for a while last year to get the redzone channel, and will likely do that again when nfl comes back around. So many options out there, can’t believe I was paying $150+ a month for so long.

Man, the first post here (in 2011) was a guy streaming Netflix on a wii. Man how the industry has changed and evolved since.

We trimmed our cable about 6 years ago, and then fully cut it maybe 3 years ago. So glad we did. We have Xfinity (comcast) for internet, so that means we get free Peacock. We already had Netflix and Prime (mostly for shipping with prime). We were gifted Disney plus for Xmas from family, and have kept that and added Hulu and espn for that full package. I added sling for a while last year to get the redzone channel, and will likely do that again when nfl comes back around. So many options out there, can’t believe I was paying $150+ a month for so long.
Peacock will no longer be free soon

Huh?

Huh?

What's the total bill for all that you currently have?

Last edited:

What's the total bill for all that you currently have?
Comcast internet (which we’d have no matter what) is $60. Having that, though, gives us the ability to have our cell service with them - 2 lines unlimited talk/text with 10 GB shared for $63/m. That’s like $20 less than o was paying for Verizon.

From there Netflix is 15, Amazon prime (which we’d do no matter what for shipping and other benefits) is 139 a year I think, disney bundle is 15 which gives my 7 year old plenty to watch. Then we have Hulu during football for a base of $40, and then $7 extra per month for the sports package that has red zone.

We all bitched about paying DirecTV however much we paid them. But at least you got EVERYTHING in exchange for that price. Now, to get all the different options, it's more than DirecTV ever was. They've won. Which we always knew they would.

We all bitched about paying DirecTV however much we paid them. But at least you got EVERYTHING in exchange for that price. Now, to get all the different options, it's more than DirecTV ever was. They've won. Which we always knew they would.

I disagree. I was paying $200-$250 per month with DishTV and that included a bunch of crap I didn't want, I had the America TOP 250 plus HBO, 4K television and then equipment rental charges for outdated (used) equipment for two more television. Additionally, I had outages in heavy rain/snow/ice plus equipment rental, a goofy looking dish on my roof w/half-hearted cabling run down the side of my house. I don't miss any of that nor do I miss the constant bickering every time renewal came up, one of my outdated pieces of equipment stopped working and at MINIMUM it would take a half an hour to cancel a service (like Showtime or something) and then I would get upsold to this or that service item the entire call. No thanks, I like this better and I'm still saving quite a bit of money for a better product and better overall experience. I can watch TV anywhere anytime I want (on my laptop, pc, TV) and if I travel, I can watch TV plus I have 24x7 access to an unlimited DVR and I can choose any interface I would like. Right now I have my TV available at my desk, on all of our iPad's (me, my wife and my son), my son can watch YouTubeTV in his room via his XBox if he wants or on his laptop, the living room TV, my office TV, our other family room TV, etc.

Last edited:
YouTube TV/Fubo/whatever
Prime
HBOMax
AppleTV
ESPNPlus
Netflix
Peacock
Hulu

And with all that, I still don't have TNT or one of my local channels.

This is what it takes now to get what you used to be able to get from DirecTV. And you still don't get everything you got. I'm too lazy to add it all up, but I guarantee it's more than I paid for DirecTV (given that I simply called once a year and threatened to cancel so I'd get a lower rate).

YouTube TV/Fubo/whatever
Prime
HBOMax
AppleTV
ESPNPlus
Netflix
Peacock
Hulu

This is what it takes now to get what you used to be able to get from DirecTV. And you still don't get everything you got. I'm too lazy to add it all up, but I guarantee it's more than I paid for DirecTV (given that I simply called once a year and threatened to cancel so I'd get a lower rate).
I get TNT and all locals on my YTTV. Where do you live?

YouTube TV/Fubo/whatever
Prime
HBOMax
AppleTV
ESPNPlus
Netflix
Peacock
Hulu

I currently have Fubo instead of YTTV.

YouTube TV/Fubo/whatever
Prime
HBOMax
AppleTV
ESPNPlus
Netflix
Peacock
Hulu

I currently have Fubo instead of YTTV.
That must be the mistake. :)

The difference in price between fios with everything and just fios internet plus the streaming service is only like $50 for me and it's basically all the taxes. It's gotten to the point it's almost not worth it.

YouTube TV/Fubo/whatever
Prime
HBOMax
AppleTV
ESPNPlus
Netflix
Peacock
Hulu

Ah, I see. If it were me, I would cancel AppleTV, ESPNPlus, Peacock and Hulu because, to me, I've had all of those (at one time or another) and I have cancelled them all out because I just don't think it's worth it. Now, I would have Prime and Netflix regardless of which provider I used (Cable, Satellite or Internet TV) because those aren't overlapping. I feel like Hulu+ (which I realize includes includes Hulu plus Disney plus Espn+ ) but I feel like Hulu+ overlaps with YouTubeTV and one of the main reasons I switched from Hulu+ is b/c I wasn't watching Disney (ever) nor Espn+ so it didn't make sense. I had Peacock for a while but, again, to me there's not enough worthwhile content there to justify a subscription. Last thing I'll say is that having Hulu+ and YouTubeTV at the same time or Hulu+ and FUBU at the same time is kinda like having DishTV and DirecTV at the same time, I don't know why you would do that.

YouTube TV/Fubo/whatever
Prime
HBOMax
AppleTV
ESPNPlus
Netflix
Peacock
Hulu

I have TNT and my locals all on sling, for $40 a month. Yes, it is more piecemeal doing it this way, but you can save money doing it.

YouTube TV/Fubo/whatever
Prime
HBOMax
AppleTV
ESPNPlus
Netflix
Peacock
Hulu

I have TNT and my locals all on sling, for $40 a month. Yes, it is more piecemeal doing it this way, but you can save money doing it.
Yeah, there were pros and cons among the different options. I chose Fubo because I could get MLB Network, NFL Network, NHL Network and my regional sports all in one place and for the best price. But, some drawbacks. None of them are perfect, and that's part of my point.

YTTV with an $8/mth price increase.
Got the email too. But it also drops the 4K package by $10 a month. So if you had both a net $2 a month price drop. I'm new to YTTV so I'm on a cheaper intro rate for both for a while which isn't affected.
TV is 10 yrs old, I don't think it is 4k lol.
Yeah mine doesn't have it either but it was only like $5 for the promotion time period iirc and I thought maybe unlimited streams important but don't know if I'll keep.

When you purchase 4K Plus, you get these features added to the channels in your Base Plan:

4K viewing on available content
Unlimited concurrent streams at home
Ability to view DVR recordings offline for available content (mobile devices only)

YouTube TV/Fubo/whatever
Prime
HBOMax
AppleTV
ESPNPlus
Netflix
Peacock
Hulu

Ah, I see. If it were me, I would cancel AppleTV, ESPNPlus, Peacock and Hulu because, to me, I've had all of those (at one time or another) and I have cancelled them all out because I just don't think it's worth it. Now, I would have Prime and Netflix regardless of which provider I used (Cable, Satellite or Internet TV) because those aren't overlapping. I feel like Hulu+ (which I realize includes includes Hulu plus Disney plus Espn+ ) but I feel like Hulu+ overlaps with YouTubeTV and one of the main reasons I switched from Hulu+ is b/c I wasn't watching Disney (ever) nor Espn+ so it didn't make sense. I had Peacock for a while but, again, to me there's not enough worthwhile content there to justify a subscription. Last thing I'll say is that having Hulu+ and YouTubeTV at the same time or Hulu+ and FUBU at the same time is kinda like having DishTV and DirecTV at the same time, I don't know why you would do that.
I have YTTV and pretty much all the streaming services. I get Hulu+{Disney, Hulu, ESPN+) bundle with no ads for only like $5.40 a month thru my Verizon service.

For the Verizon customers who have multiple streaming services check out their current offers. I already had Netflix Premium and Paramount+ but I was able to cancel my monthly Paramount+ account and subscribe thru Verizon for the normal yearly charge of $99 for a new account. Then I was directed to transfer my Netflix Premium billing to Verizon where they pay for 12 months. That's like $240+ savings for a year. Actually a little more because I paid for the whole year of Paramount+ instead of monthly.

Thank you for mentioning multiview on yttv, love it! We watched for about 2 - 2.5 hours and I think around 8:30 or 9 it popped up on the screen. I had sent an e-mail to support around 3 or 4 PM.

I’ve been using credit card perks to cut down costs on the multitude of streaming services we have (plus we’re churners, anyway.) I even have a spreadsheet tracking it:

AudibleAMEX PlatFull Credit
PeacockAMEX PlatFull Credit
Disney Plus/ESPN+/HULUAMEX Blue Cash Preferred$7.00 back each month
NetflixAMEX Blue Cash Preferred6% Cash Back
Paramount PlusWalmart+ via AMEX PlatFree with Free Walmart+
Youtube TVAMEX Blue Cash Preferred6% Cash Back
Sirius XMAMEX Blue Cash Preferred6% Cash Back

We have Prime, too, but would even without the streaming. Of course, these cards have annual fees so if you don’t maximize the other perks to make the fees worth it, then not a great option. But other cards have some partnerships, too.

Heading to the Comcast local store today to cancel TV, still need their internet though so we'll see how it goes.
How did this go?
Great, 1.2G internet now for 95/mth unlimited data. So saving 200/mth over existing prices or 150/mth over the "best rate ever" price.
Nice. I pay around $155 a month for 1Gig unlimited from Cox. But it was recently announced that we are getting Google Fiber so in 18 months or whatever hopefully I can dump that for faster and even cheaper service.

Heading to the Comcast local store today to cancel TV, still need their internet though so we'll see how it goes.
How did this go?
Great, 1.2G internet now for 95/mth unlimited data. So saving 200/mth over existing prices or 150/mth over the "best rate ever" price.
Nice. I pay around $155 a month for 1Gig unlimited from Cox. But it was recently announced that we are getting Google Fiber so in 18 months or whatever hopefully I can dump that for faster and even cheaper service.
I wish I had another option, it's xfinity or at&t. at&t only has 50Mb service. No other options. No fiber options, no other ISP options, it's ridiculous. :hot::censored:

So a question I’m hoping to get some assistance on. I subscribe to Sling TV, and have for a while now. I choose sling (blue package) because it includes local channels for me - specifically fox and nbc out of Washington DC. This worked well for me to watch nfl games during the season, and so my wife and I could watch live local news in the morning and early evenings. Went fine for years.

At some point in that last week or two, those two local channels don’t show up anymore. Not really sure why. Called sling (which is a tough number to find), and after asking me to restart app and other basic stuff asks for my IP address. Looked it up, and geographically states that I’m in Blacksburg VA, roughly 4 hours from where I actually am - and outside of the Washington DC area for local channels I presume.

Called Comcast (my internet provider), who wasn’t much help. I may try that again and see if it goes anywhere - but can I manually update/change my IP address to show I’m physically located in the Washington DC area?

So a question I’m hoping to get some assistance on. I subscribe to Sling TV, and have for a while now. I choose sling (blue package) because it includes local channels for me - specifically fox and nbc out of Washington DC. This worked well for me to watch nfl games during the season, and so my wife and I could watch live local news in the morning and early evenings. Went fine for years.

At some point in that last week or two, those two local channels don’t show up anymore. Not really sure why. Called sling (which is a tough number to find), and after asking me to restart app and other basic stuff asks for my IP address. Looked it up, and geographically states that I’m in Blacksburg VA, roughly 4 hours from where I actually am - and outside of the Washington DC area for local channels I presume.

Called Comcast (my internet provider), who wasn’t much help. I may try that again and see if it goes anywhere - but can I manually update/change my IP address to show I’m physically located in the Washington DC area?
I can't help you with Sling or your IP question, but I use Hulu Live to get the DC locals. It's only the 4 networks (no PBS or the other OTA channels). It's more expensive than either Sling package, but I think about the same if you had both orange & blue. I'm further west than you are, I think - you're in Linden or Marshall, right?

I can't help you with Sling or your IP question, but I use Hulu Live to get the DC locals. It's only the 4 networks (no PBS or the other OTA channels). It's more expensive than either Sling package, but I think about the same if you had both orange & blue. I'm further west than you are, I think - you're in Linden or Marshall, right?
In that ballpark, yes. I’ll give that a look if I can’t get sling to work.

I got it about 4 years ago. They were running a special bundle that included Disney+ & ESPN+. I want to say it's like $85/month, matty. The live channel offerings are about the same as if you combined orange & blue. I'm in Woodstock so, if Sling "moved" you to Blacksburg (which is freaking ridiculous), they would definitely do the same to me.

I got it about 4 years ago. They were running a special bundle that included Disney+ & ESPN+. I want to say it's like $85/month, matty. The live channel offerings are about the same as if you combined orange & blue. I'm in Woodstock so, if Sling "moved" you to Blacksburg (which is freaking ridiculous), they would definitely do the same to me.
Sling didn’t move me, Comcast did. Sling uses your ip address to determine your location.

Sling didn’t move me, Comcast did. Sling uses your ip address to determine your location.
Can you find a VPN in the area that you can connect to which is close enough for Sling?

Can you find a VPN in the area that you can connect to which is close enough for Sling?
I’m understanding about half of what you’re saying here. Wouldn’t Comcast have to do that for me (is t it on their end, not mine)?

I don’t have anything like nordvpn if that’s what you’re saying/asking.

I’m understanding about half of what you’re saying here. Wouldn’t Comcast have to do that for me (is t it on their end, not mine)?

I don’t have anything like nordvpn if that’s what you’re saying/asking.
If you use a VPN, your IP will reflect the "location" of the VPN, so if you get one within Sling's range, you should get your channels back.

FWIW - here is List of many iptv services . Some are subscriptions and a several that are free (including new Flex Live). Beware using "unverified" services due to potential malware or licensing issues. However if you can find the app on a reputable app stores such as Google Play, Amazon, or Apple the app may be ok.

Last edited:

Late to the party here but you can watch all of your local news stations on the newson app (free). We use our Roku

Question for youtubeTV users. I have a Samsung QLED that's been great. I've had yttv since December with no complaints. The last couple of weeks live sports have been a little choppy/jittery or whatever they call it. The picture is awesome but fast motion or when the camera pans it chops/jumps a little. Drives me nuts.

Now, I haven't changed the TV settings for Jutter/picture clarity settings, etc. I like picture set to "movie" and all recommended other stuff turned off, like the internet told me. Has been great other than a channel or two like AMC or USA when an old episode is aired (like say, SVU, from 2000).

I don't think it's the tv because sports on ESPN/ESPN+ and Amazon Prime apps are flawless. It's just on yttv and it's a certain few channels... ABC and Fox used to be flawless, until lately.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled the yttv app and signed out/in. Constant reboots of the Roku Ultra. Changed HDMI cable.

I've connected an ethernet cable (wired) and used WiFi, both the same.

Has anyone experienced this with yttv? TIA

We did a trial this weekend with Fubo to watch the Texas-Alabama game while Disney and Charter argue (sounds like an agreement in place this am). Quality of broadcast was excellent but I like the guide layout better on SpectrumTV (streaming service-not cable). I lose some promotion discounts next summer so I may have to switch to another service.

YouTube TV/Fubo/whatever
Prime
HBOMax
AppleTV
ESPNPlus
Netflix
Peacock
Hulu

Yeah, there were pros and cons among the different options. I chose Fubo because I could get MLB Network, NFL Network, NHL Network and my regional sports all in one place and for the best price. But, some drawbacks. None of them are perfect, and that's part of my point.
What are the drawbacks of Fubo by itself? This Disney-cable dispute is finally given us impetus to move to streaming services.

Spectrum “gave” us a free Fubo trial (really the same 7 day free period available to anyone), and it seems like it has everything we need…so far. And the price is mid-level among streaming services as far as I can tell.

YouTube TV/Fubo/whatever
Prime
HBOMax
AppleTV
ESPNPlus
Netflix
Peacock
Hulu

What are the drawbacks of Fubo by itself? This Disney-cable dispute is finally given us impetus to move to streaming services.

Spectrum “gave” us a free Fubo trial (really the same 7 day free period available to anyone), and it seems like it has everything we need…so far. And the price is mid-level among streaming services as far as I can tell.
No TNT, I think. Possibly TBS too. Can't remember for sure now.

YouTube TV/Fubo/whatever
Prime
HBOMax
AppleTV
ESPNPlus
Netflix
Peacock
Hulu

I believe they are missing the march madness channels. That's a deal breaker for me.

Looking for any advice. Finally moving on from DirecTV and my $160 a month bill.

I've zeroed in on Youtube TV as having most of the 32 or so channels I care about most. Missing History Channel, A&E. And ATT Sports Southwest that has Rockets and Astros but that may change next year. Other services seem to be missing more or more important channels for me.

Any gotchas to know about Youtube TV?

I have an older TV with great picture (though not 4K), so it doesn't support newer apps. I still have an old receiver that my surround sound runs through. I use a Logitech Hub universal remote to tie everything together. Have a PS4 that I use with Plex for my media collection, and also watch Thursday football on Prime with it. Use the PS4 controller for both.

Any input on using the PS4 for Youtube TV, versus getting something else like a Fire Stick? Leaning towards getting something else so can use a remote. I'm hoping the Youtube TV DVR lets you do stuff like jump 30 seconds ahead, 6 or 10 seconds back, etc. Also can you skip past commercials in a recording or if you paused live TV? I saw some mentions on other services they wouldn't let you in some cases. I have wired ethernet available behind the TV which is much better than my wireless bandwidth there, so would prefer something with an ethernet port available.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread