What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (2 Viewers)

Making the first steps towards trying to see if this is something viable for me. I live about 35 - 40 miles outside of DC on the Virginia side.

I bought this antenna first. It picked up 45 channels which seemed awesome until I found out that I got NBC and Fox, but I wasn't finding ABC or CBS. After doing some more reading I assume it's because they are broadcasting in Hi VHF and that antenna doesn't do a good job picking it up.

So I am following it up with this antenna. I haven't hooked it up yet, but I'm hoping it will bring in the Hi VHF stations I'm missing. If I can't get the network stations then this is pretty much a no go from the start.

If I can get that working, I already have a Fire TV stick and Amazon Prime. I'd subscribe to Netflix, and probably get SlingTV, and the stand alone HBO package. Getting Food Network, HGTV, etc that the wife likes is harder. I know that ulive has that programming, but it doesn't appear they have any apps for any streaming service. I also have a Chromcast,
I would add Hulu into the mix. For $10/month it's worth it for Comedy Central/FX access as well as most of the network shows without worry about DVRing.

Making the first steps towards trying to see if this is something viable for me. I live about 35 - 40 miles outside of DC on the Virginia side.

I bought this antenna first. It picked up 45 channels which seemed awesome until I found out that I got NBC and Fox, but I wasn't finding ABC or CBS. After doing some more reading I assume it's because they are broadcasting in Hi VHF and that antenna doesn't do a good job picking it up.

So I am following it up with this antenna. I haven't hooked it up yet, but I'm hoping it will bring in the Hi VHF stations I'm missing. If I can't get the network stations then this is pretty much a no go from the start.

If I can get that working, I already have a Fire TV stick and Amazon Prime. I'd subscribe to Netflix, and probably get SlingTV, and the stand alone HBO package. Getting Food Network, HGTV, etc that the wife likes is harder. I know that ulive has that programming, but it doesn't appear they have any apps for any streaming service. I also have a Chromcast,
I would add Hulu into the mix. For $10/month it's worth it for Comedy Central/FX access as well as most of the network shows without worry about DVRing.
I was trying to figure out if I really needed Hulu or not. I'm not sure there are really any shows on there that I watch.

I was trying to figure out if I really needed Hulu or not. I'm not sure there are really any shows on there that I watch.
Louie, Fallon, SNL are the main ones for me but there's a good amount of kids programming on their as well as tons and tons of older shows.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm looking for recommendations here. i cut the cable a few years back. in my house, we've been using the Roku for Netflix and AP. i'm moving in with the girlfriend and she'd like to watch the local channels. what's a good OTA HD converter-signal-antenna-thing? let's keep in to $60 or less...
This works great for me: http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Indoor-Antenna-formerly-Ultimate/dp/B00HSMK59E
thanks for the recommendation. i picked up their Metro/Indoor model with 25 miles range. curious to see how it performs here.

Sort of off topic but not totally. PwC projecting by 2017 that online video revenue will finally outpace DVD's and movie theaters. Not shocking, but it makes you wonder at what point studios start adopting "The Interview" model truly in earnest. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-02/online-video-revenue-to-pass-dvds-this-year-theaters-in-2017
Many smaller films are already using the multi-platform release from day 1. I'm not sure when it will really make financial sense for large studios to do this, and if it does at any point, I don't know how they would support big-budget films (for whatever that's worth).

I'd love some advice from you guys. I live in an area where I can't do OTA and get my local channels due to geography. I'm trying to figure out how to watch football games at home. Right now I have a PS3 and Chromecast.

1. How can I get local channels that doesn't involve the cable company?

2. If I get Sling TV for ESPN, do I go Roku or Amazon Fire TV?
I just moved and now my OTA sucks. Antenna.com says I need a roof mounted antenna - a large one if I want NBC. I was perfectly happy with Amazon/Sling/Hulu/OTA but I don't know if I can completely forgo having the OTA channels.
Did you move further south? These sites all say NBC is a problem for south puget sound area...
Really? NBC works for me; CBS is my problem child. Works fine upstairs closest to the antenna on the roof, but, I rarely get it downstairs even with an amplifier. (Covington)
What antennas do you Seattle guys have?

I lucked out; the home I bought just happen to already have the best antenna Winegard offers, the HD8200U. (When I move I'm taking it with me) My problem is splitting the signal twice and long coax runs to get it down stairs. I bought their pre-amplifier (LNA-200) and it fixed everything but CBS downstairs. I might try a distribution amplifier next, or just watch that one channel upstairs.

I lucked out; the home I bought just happen to already have the best antenna Winegard offers, the HD8200U. (When I move I'm taking it with me) My problem is splitting the signal twice and long coax runs to get it down stairs. I bought their pre-amplifier (LNA-200) and it fixed everything but CBS downstairs. I might try a distribution amplifier next, or just watch that one channel upstairs.
I haven't taken the plunge yet, but been thinking about it a lot.

If Apple does the streaming TV thing (already have an apple TV) and the price is reasonable, I know that will push me to cut.

I watch so little TV that having DirecTV is just idiotic, but hard for me to give up the luxury of sports TV when I do get the chance.

I haven't taken the plunge yet, but been thinking about it a lot.

If Apple does the streaming TV thing (already have an apple TV) and the price is reasonable, I know that will push me to cut.

I watch so little TV that having DirecTV is just idiotic, but hard for me to give up the luxury of sports TV when I do get the chance.
agreed, but I am pulling the plug in a couple days once all there is is baseball. Can fill in enough with Fox and there are always other options online if really necessary.

And football season shouldn't be too bad. BAsketball is the biggest problem. We will see how it goes.

Anyone have a recommendation for a USB TV tuner for the htpc I'm building?
I used a hauppauge card. The only complaint I have is the remote that came with it. It's a windows remote so it works good with WMC, but, the reaction time is too slow. One of the wireless keyboard type remotes would probably work better so save a little bit of money and get the basic card without the remote.

Sling offering free Fire or Roku sticks or half off boxes with 3 month committment.

http://www.cnet.com/news/sling-tv-offers-free-amazon-fire-tv-stick-roku-streaming-stick-half-price-boxes/
Pretty good deal. Which stick is better ( :unsure: )? The Roku or Amazon?
I've had the Fire Stick and, while it does it's absolute best to keep you in the Amazon ecosystem, it's also pretty easy to root it and get Kodi on it. It seems to have a decent amount of pep for handling streaming video.Meanwhile, I've heard Sling TV is sluggish on the Roku Streaming Stick, which doesn't seem t be a very strong machine overall.

If you're going with a Stick in this deal, definitely go Fire TV Stick.
Sling TV on my Roku 3 has been awesome. On my Roku 2 however, it's very unstable and causes random reboots. That TV however doesn't have HDMI, so I can't connect a Roku 3 to it. As for the Roku Stick, I think it's too small of a form factor to have the better hardware the Roku 3 has.

After three months of using Sling, I'm a huge fan. I cut the cord in the Spring of 2012, so to get back ESPN is pretty nice. The cheapest I could get ESPN from cable was around $50 per month. Of course the advertising shows $19.99, but when you had up all the monthly fees for hardware they require, fees, taxes, and temporary discounts, it more than doubles. The extra fees/taxes on my Sling subscription are $1.50 per month. So it's $21.50. I went ahead and added the $5 sports pack to get ESPNEWS, ESPNU, SEC Network and some others.

What's really nice is all WatchESPN apps allow you to authorize using your Sling TV subscription, so everything on ESPN3 is accessible to you too.

To be honest all the other non-ESPN channels on Sling TV are worthless to me, because I can't record them, and the on demand content from them is lacking. I can't go back to watching broadcast shows with commercials anymore. Sports is the only thing I want broadcasted. So I see this $26.50 per month I pay is for all this ESPN content, which is probably what it would cost anyway if ESPN were to sell access to it's broadcasts directly to customers. If Sling dropped all the other channels, I wouldn't even miss them. I was already getting CNN and Bloomberg via the Roku anyway.

Can someone provide the link again to determining how many channels you are likely to get OTA? I can find a few via google, but I liked the one that was posted in here (if anyone knows, or can find it).

I really want to get on board with this. Cable is a ####### racket and a half and this is a perfect time for me to do it(wife and I are moving out of state, so have to kill all our current stuff anyway). Then I read through this thread, and some of you sound like you're speaking a foreign language and it makes me want to chew on my own liver.

Maybe this will help clear things up for me: Would this be an accurate statement? "If you're too unmotivated at present to research the #### out of this/have a near-Luddite spouse, then cutting the cable isn't going to work."

TIA

I really want to get on board with this. Cable is a ####### racket and a half and this is a perfect time for me to do it(wife and I are moving out of state, so have to kill all our current stuff anyway). Then I read through this thread, and some of you sound like you're speaking a foreign language and it makes me want to chew on my own liver.

Maybe this will help clear things up for me: Would this be an accurate statement? "If you're too unmotivated at present to research the #### out of this/have a near-Luddite spouse, then cutting the cable isn't going to work."

TIA
Much of it is based off of how close you live to TV broadcast towers. I don't live quite close enough to receive TV "over the air" (OTA), so I'm kinda stuck with cable. If I lived closer, though, I'd be all over it.

Anyone use a intel nuc as htpc? I get what I want now between my asus oplay which i use to play dl'ed movies/shows off the media server and my laptop which i plug into the tv to play sports from my streaming service, but it would be nice to have just the one compact box which would enable me to do both.

Anyone use a intel nuc as htpc? I get what I want now between my asus oplay which i use to play dl'ed movies/shows off the media server and my laptop which i plug into the tv to play sports from my streaming service, but it would be nice to have just the one compact box which would enable me to do both.
I have last year's Haswell i5 NUC with the 2.5" HD capacity. Have it spec'd with 16 gb ram, 256 GB msata drive, 1 TB 2.5" 5200 rpm drive, and a Logitech wireless combo keyboard/keypad.

It is very powerful and overkill for most HTPC purposes. I have the networking hardwired and my main use is running it as a Plex media server for all of my various devices (tablets, phones, Xbone, other laptops). With Plex you can use a single username on all devices, which allows you to pause your media on one device and resume it on another. It is a great compliment to a media library on a NAS, and running Plex off the HTPC means you don't have to worry about your NAS' transcoding capabilities.

I've also installed Kodi and VPN software on it to cover most of my other media and sports needs. The VPN software allows me to stream all NFL/NBA games from their official services with no regional black outs, as I will spoof that I'm in Italy or some other place far away from this continent.

I have last year's Haswell i5 NUC with the 2.5" HD capacity. Have it spec'd with 16 gb ram, 256 GB msata drive, 1 TB 2.5" 5200 rpm drive, and a Logitech wireless combo keyboard/keypad.

It is very powerful and overkill for most HTPC purposes. I have the networking hardwired and my main use is running it as a Plex media server for all of my various devices (tablets, phones, Xbone, other laptops). With Plex you can use a single username on all devices, which allows you to pause your media on one device and resume it on another. It is a great compliment to a media library on a NAS, and running Plex off the HTPC means you don't have to worry about your NAS' transcoding capabilities.

I've also installed Kodi and VPN software on it to cover most of my other media and sports needs. The VPN software allows me to stream all NFL/NBA games from their official services with no regional black outs, as I will spoof that I'm in Italy or some other place far away from this continent.
so you use it as a server to store all your media as well? is there anything you're aware of out of the box with the same size that enables the same capabilities and a lower price point?

so you use it as a server to store all your media as well? is there anything you're aware of out of the box with the same size that enables the same capabilities and a lower price point?
No, I use the NUC to run Plex media server but store all my media on a NAS. Plex will scrape all the media from the NAS and organize it in a very user friendly way. I can run Plex right off my NAS, but it will struggle a bit with 1080p files.

As for other boxes, I haven't tried out any other than an i7 Gigabyte Brix my buddy uses to as a Steambox, which is a scorcher, but I think there are many great cheaper and less powerful (but perfectly adequate) options from Gigabyte or the Zotac Zbox's that will serve your needs just fine.

No, I use the NUC to run Plex media server but store all my media on a NAS. Plex will scrape all the media from the NAS and organize it in a very user friendly way. I can run Plex right off my NAS, but it will struggle a bit with 1080p files.

As for other boxes, I haven't tried out any other than an i7 Gigabyte Brix my buddy uses to as a Steambox, which is a scorcher, but I think there are many great cheaper and less powerful (but perfectly adequate) options from Gigabyte or the Zotac Zbox's that will serve your needs just fine.
Just curious then, why the big harddrives? Aren't you just running the OS and Plex on the box?

his continent.

Just curious then, why the big harddrives? Aren't you just running the OS and Plex on the box?
No major reason. Right now I just use it as a backup for my music library. I'm thinking that down the road as the computer gets older I'll use it as a download station in place of my dying, cheapo Dell laptop.

We are cheap and poor, not your typical FBG. We've finally done it. 2 months ago we turned off our TV cable service, got an indoor OTA antenna, and used our Wii for Netflix, which we had been using for sometime. Then got a Roku (HD version much better than Wii) for another TV in the house.
Skipping over 41 pages of this thread to post about the recent repurposing of our kids' not-much-used Wii as a Netflix portal. Would've done it sooner, but had no idea the Wii could piggyback onto our wireless modem :bag:

Have heard of Roku, but know little about it, even in 2015 :bag: We're late adapters. So ... a Roku basically does what a Wii does regarding Netflix?

And ... how does a service like Hulu fit into all this? Worth getting as a conjunct to Netflix? Can it make up for losing cable channels like BBC America, Bravo, E!, etc.?

I have never once seen an over the air antenna get a decent picture. I don't mean HD quality, I just mean a picture without streaking, fuzz, snow, artifacts, ghosting, etc. I guess it's possible, but I have no idea how to make it happen. There's still a good bit we want to watch on network TV ... but I don't like paying for a full cable package (even the cheapest one) just for local channels.

Yes, Netflix on Wii works basically the same as on Roku.

Haven't used Hulu much, but there are definitely a lot of shows on there for only $8/month.

Yes, there are definitely several good OTA antennas. I have a Mohu leaf that gets a great picture.

I have been using Rokuu for years now. I added the Ota to get local stations and have been pleasantly surprised. Good quality here in Chicago proper. Lots of channels that are random second tier content too beyond the Big 4 and PBS.

Ok, I have cable/internet right now and want to possibly get away from this expensive crap but still have access to TV shows (though no need to be live), also be able to watch live sporting events if possible, mainly NFL and Cavs games (I live near cleveland).

Right now I have Time Warner Cable with one cable box with a million channels but none of the HBO or movie channels or anything, plus internet and a land line. I pay like 130 a month. Also like 10-12 a month for netflix, and I have a chromecast.

What is the best route to go to be able to have access to shows (even if not for a while after they first air) and also possibly live sporting events? I have to assume internet is still going to cost me 40+.

I am not very tech savvy and dont mind spending money for TV/internet, but there has to be a cheaper option for me.

Ok, I have cable/internet right now and want to possibly get away from this expensive crap but still have access to TV shows (though no need to be live), also be able to watch live sporting events if possible, mainly NFL and Cavs games (I live near cleveland).

Right now I have Time Warner Cable with one cable box with a million channels but none of the HBO or movie channels or anything, plus internet and a land line. I pay like 130 a month. Also like 10-12 a month for netflix, and I have a chromecast.

What is the best route to go to be able to have access to shows (even if not for a while after they first air) and also possibly live sporting events? I have to assume internet is still going to cost me 40+.

I am not very tech savvy and dont mind spending money for TV/internet, but there has to be a cheaper option for me.
Made the switch here last year and never looked back. Since you want live TV/Sports, start here - http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

If you can't get an OTA signal from the major networks then live sports is going to be an issue for you. Between OTA, netflix, and Hulu you can cover everything except networks like ESPN, TNT, TBS, etc

hotdogcollars said:
ghostguy123 said:

Made the switch here last year and never looked back. Since you want live TV/Sports, start here - http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

If you can't get an OTA signal from the major networks then live sports is going to be an issue for you. Between OTA, netflix, and Hulu you can cover everything except networks like ESPN, TNT, TBS, etc
The bolded can now be covered by Sling TV for $20/month.

I will have to look into both of those. If it comes out to be a significant discount I would certainly go for it. If it's not too significant, I will probably just stick with the convenience of what I have, and give the occasional "I am cutting the cable" call.

I am currently pissed they are offering better deals to non customers. Maybe I can tell them I will soon be a non customer as well.

hotdogcollars said:
ghostguy123 said:

The bolded can now be covered by Sling TV for $20/month.
yeah, Sling + Hulu Plus + Netflix Streaming might do the trick. That's like $36/mo. Though with whatever the internet will be, it might be close in total. And it probably won't cover the Cavs.

:blackdot: I'm really tired of Cablevision and am seriously considering getting rid of cable TV.
Unless you watch a lot of sports or need to see current shows when they air then I don't see the need for cable.
I watch a lot of football (college and NFL) and I like things like Food Network and History Channel. Those are the only reasons I haven't gotten rid of cable yet, but Cablevision sucks out loud in so many ways where sports and a few other channels aren't enough to keep me as a customer anymore. I think at this point I just need to figure out what equipment I need, like a digital antennae, and then go buy it.

:blackdot: I'm really tired of Cablevision and am seriously considering getting rid of cable TV.
Unless you watch a lot of sports or need to see current shows when they air then I don't see the need for cable.
I watch a lot of football (college and NFL) and I like things like Food Network and History Channel. Those are the only reasons I haven't gotten rid of cable yet, but Cablevision sucks out loud in so many ways where sports and a few other channels aren't enough to keep me as a customer anymore. I think at this point I just need to figure out what equipment I need, like a digital antennae, and then go buy it.
You won't regret it.

I hate Comcast, but one of the cool things they offered is free HBOGo with my internet-only subscription. Between that and Kodi for live sports/more movies than I'll ever watch, cable TV is in the dust.

Brady Marino said:
RC94 said:
cstu said:
RC94 said:
You won't regret it.

I hate Comcast, but one of the cool things they offered is free HBOGo with my internet-only subscription. Between that and Kodi for live sports/more movies than I'll ever watch, cable TV is in the dust.
I hadn't heard of Kodi until I read your post so clearly I have some research to do. I am really leaning towards cutting the cable and appreciate any advice. I already have Netflix and am considering signing up for Amazon Prime provided it has a lot of things I can't get with Netflix. Kodi looks very interesting, especially if I can watch college and NFL football live (especially Rutgers and Big10 football). That could be the right combination for me to get rid of cable.

Brady Marino said:
RC94 said:
cstu said:
RC94 said:
You won't regret it.

I hadn't heard of Kodi until I read your post so clearly I have some research to do. I am really leaning towards cutting the cable and appreciate any advice. I already have Netflix and am considering signing up for Amazon Prime provided it has a lot of things I can't get with Netflix. Kodi looks very interesting, especially if I can watch college and NFL football live (especially Rutgers and Big10 football). That could be the right combination for me to get rid of cable.
Any questions, feel free to PM. Kodi isn't perfect, but nothing beats free.

Also, this box has served me well, but looks like it might be sold out. They're including a better remote than I got, too. I don't use my remote much with it since I have a wireless keyboard and mouse combo hooked up to it.

Fire TV works fine with Kodi. Not sure if they're still running it, but Sling gives Fire TV and 3 months of Sling TV for $100 I believe.

I haven't even used Sling TV once in 2 months so far with Kodi. Watch anything and everything with it.

Brady Marino said:
RC94 said:
cstu said:
RC94 said:
You won't regret it.

Sling has ESPN, ESPN 2, Food Network and both History Channels plus others. If you can live with that and your local OTA channels for sports it sounds like you'd have everything you need.**

**I haven't messed around with Kodi yet. I'll probably get around to it before NFL season because the only thing I'm missing right now is NFL Network.

ETA: I also might try the out of country subscription for NFL for free or really cheap. I already have a VPN.

Kodi is great - but I am not sure I would 100% trust it with live sports. I don't want to miss NFL games and I find that live sports are very hit and miss - there are always servers offered but a lot of the time can't connect, or stream is terrible...etc. That said, an OTA antenna and sling TV probably solves the issue.

I guess it is old news but I wasn't aware comcast offered their go tv without a cable tv subscription. I've always said they'd have to start competing for cord cutters. They are offering packages with Gbps and the go app for 59.99. I'm having a hard time finding all thats included but the letter I got today says it comes with :

Streampix- assuming its on demand movie that you would have to purchase.

Stream HBO - assuming same as HBO go and/or Sling HBO

Tv go- can't find a channel lineup but says it includes shows like America's got talent so it must give access to local (probably east coast) channels

Has the usual strings attached though- 1 year contract and they'll double the price after that. But, might be an option for those too far out to get OTA.

Kodi is great - but I am not sure I would 100% trust it with live sports. I don't want to miss NFL games and I find that live sports are very hit and miss - there are always servers offered but a lot of the time can't connect, or stream is terrible...etc. That said, an OTA antenna and sling TV probably solves the issue.
I tried out Sports Devil and never found a stream that was watchable.

I tried out Sports Devil and never found a stream that was watchable.
It's kind of a PITA. As the sites that host streams constantly change web addresses to skirt being shut down, so must the app be updated due to "scraping" the feed information from the sites themselves. As far as I know, this app doesn't auto-update, meaning you have to hit google and dive into forums where the latest updates are being discussed, and links provided. IMO, it's more trouble than it's worth to cut the cord, strictly sports speaking with SportsDevil as an example. Kodi rules for non-sports content with apps like Genesis and IceFilms, etc. taking care of just about anything you'd want to watch on demand. My setup is absolute base cable package that nets me all the live sports channels I need and fast, wired internet. I end up only turning the box on for something live news or sports related. If you cut completely, the price of your cable internet will go way up. You can get deals, but I've found that to be hard to come by. Tonydead has suggested going to a Xfinity store (in my case as a customer) with great results, which I plan to try once my 2-year deal is up, and that might be a game changer for me. Otherwise, the amount of money you'll spend on stuff like Sling, HBO Go, Hulu, Netflix, etc. will fill the gap of your savings anyways to fill the gap in what you're dropping. The upside just isn't there for me personally to edge out like $10-20 tops a month and have to constantly maintain the setup.

For the viewer who watches sports occasionally, OTA antenna is good.

For the viewer who watches sports frequently, OTA + Sling TV is good.

For the viewer who needs to watch every game of their local MLB, NBA, or NHL team, you'll need cable/satellite.

For the viewer who needs to watch every NFL game (or just every game of their local NFL team) or every game anywhere in MLB/NBA/NHL, then you will need to subscribe to offerings like Sunday Ticket, MLB.tv, etc.... whether or not you need cable/satellite to get those offerings depends on how you plan to get them. I have MLB.tv, and don't have cable/satelitte. But I may not renew MLB.tv next year after I signed up for Sling TV in April. ESPN gives me 3 MLB games a week, which is about what I watch.

So I got an e-mail yesterday that Showtime is now doing streaming on the Roku. I didn't know if they had previously offered any streaming services.

Users who are viewing this thread