What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What About Pop Culture Have You Just Stopped Paying Attention To? Or If Not Pop Culture, What Have You Ditched? (1 Viewer)

As for the question at hand——-highly priced/rated restaurants. Almost all of the time they disappoint for the price.

I live in SLC. My wife and I spent $250 for a dinner at a Michelin nominated joint last month. Mediocre at best.

We were visiting my daughter in Los Angeles last week and I spent several hundred dollars for a table of 6 at a renowned Italian restaurant. Again, not a great meal or dining experience. Not worth the cost.

Not to say there aren’t restaurants worth the price but they are few and far between in my experience.

As for the question at hand——-highly priced/rated restaurants. Almost all of the time they disappoint for the price.

I live in SLC. My wife and I spent $250 for a dinner at a Michelin nominated joint last month. Mediocre at best.

We were visiting my daughter in Los Angeles last week and I spent several hundred dollars for a table of 6 at a renowned Italian restaurant. Again, not a great meal or dining experience. Not worth the cost.

Not to say there aren’t restaurants worth the price but they are few and far between in my experience.

This is a good one for me, although $200 for two for dinner seems to be de rigueur these days around here, so $250 isn't out of the usual realm. (As an aside, recently we were in Scottsdale, AZ and were shocked at how much cheaper meals were there, so it's definitely geographically based.)

Anyway, a few days ago we sketched out our lunch and dinner plans for a trip to Chicago in May, and tonight we were remarking how all of our plans eschewed going to a new or hot or cool place and instead focused on solid local (non-Michelin) joints. Almost guaranteed to get a better meal in one of those.

This is a good one for me, although $200 for two for dinner seems to be de rigueur these days around here, so $250 isn't out of the usual realm. (As an aside, recently we were in Scottsdale, AZ and were shocked at how much cheaper meals were there, so it's definitely geographically based.)

Anyway, a few days ago we sketched out our lunch and dinner plans for a trip to Chicago in May, and tonight we were remarking how all of our plans eschewed going to a new or hot or cool place and instead focused on solid local (non-Michelin) joints. Almost guaranteed to get a better meal in one of those.
There are many restaurants in SLC where we can have a great meal, with drinks, for far less than $100.

I was asking OH about this, and he said video games.

I also will nominate social media, for myself at least. I was addicted to Facebook about 10 years ago, but now I check it every month or so, and I've never ended up using Twitter or Instagram though I have accounts. Don't even start me on Tik Tok.

I’ll start. Movies.
I would probably agree with this for the most part. There are certainly some good ones that come out, but they get dwarfed by all the reboots and Marvel stuff that the studios crank out left and right. Just seems to be a decline of creativity in Hollywood, but can't blame the studios for going where the masses are going to spend their money. And a lot of money it is, which is also a turn off.

Last edited:
By the way, Ridgeback, I don’t really care that you said something political. No skin off of my back.

But couldn’t you hear the brakes screech to a halt?

Peace, mang.

:)

By the way, Ridgeback, I don’t really care that you said something political. No skin off of my back.

But couldn’t you hear the brakes screech to a halt?

Peace, mang.

:)
I appreciate the reminder. I guess I can't even say that w/out it being misconstrued. I deleted it to make sure I don't pee in someone's cheerios.

Great topic, btw.

I could probably count the things I do that are popular easier than the things I ignore.
I’ll pay attention to football, the Olympics, and I like Marvel still. Facebook, and we usually enjoy Disney movies.
Everything that’s been mentioned so far is ignored, except I know some newish music just by it popping up on Pandora.

We’ve recently started watching the floor on Hulu, a show where they show pictures and contestants need to name them fast. Other than former SNL stars I couldn’t name a person who recently achieved fame.

Other than former SNL stars I couldn’t name a person who recently achieved fame.
Good mention of SNL. That's something that would apply to me for this thread - still seems to be popular but I've largely ignored because it hasn't been funny in ages IMO. I'll occasionally watch the news segment with Michael Che and Colin Jost, who are pretty good, but otherwise the show is pretty meh.

Last edited:
Other than former SNL stars I couldn’t name a person who recently achieved fame.
Good mention of SNL. That's something that would apply to me for this thread - still seems to be popular but I've largely ignored because it hasn't been funny in ages IMO. I'll watch the news segment with Michael Che and Colin Jost, who are pretty good, but otherwise meh.
I always catch Che and Jost. But there has been maybe a 10-25% hit rate on skits imo. I fast forward often.

I have a major problem with social media influencers. The overwhelming majority are full of BS, and you really have to follow the money on them. I don’t do Tik Tok or IG, but they are really bad on X. Question their info and motives, and you get the TO, and not them.

Good mention of SNL. That's something that would apply to me for this thread - still seems to be popular but I've largely ignored because it hasn't been funny in ages IMO. I'll watch the news segment with Michael Che and Colin Jost, who are pretty good, but otherwise meh.
I always catch Che and Jost. But there has been maybe a 10-25% hit rate on skits imo. I fast forward often.

Honestly I think this is probably pretty consistent for all of it, we are just so susceptible to nostalgia. I bet if you went back and watched some random episode from the "good old days" there would be just as much cringe, with the occasional funny skit that we remember liking.

And they do still hit sometimes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYqfVE-fykk

As a whole we used to focus on the negatives a lot less than we do these days. I just came from the eclipse thread to find info about planning for the eclipse and, nope, it's just broken down to a bunch of people crapping on people for caring about the eclipse.

Honestly I think this is probably pretty consistent for all of it, we are just so susceptible to nostalgia. I bet if you went back and watched some random episode from the "good old days" there would be just as much cringe, with the occasional funny skit that we remember liking.

To me, I don't think it's necessarily nostalgia, but the fact that the SNL crew is just not as talented/funny as it used to be. There have been plenty of ups and downs with the crew over the years, and it seems to have been in a down cycle for many years now. Again, just my opinion, as it's all subjective.

I was asking OH about this, and he said video games.

I also will nominate social media, for myself at least. I was addicted to Facebook about 10 years ago, but now I check it every month or so, and I've never ended up using Twitter or Instagram though I have accounts. Don't even start me on Tik Tok.
Video games for sure. I used to do the whole annual purchase of FIFA, Madden, NBA Live, CoD and loved playing them but I would say it's been about 10 years now since I've touched a video game other than a couple dumb free ones on my phone that I play here or there to pass a couple mins.

Last edited:
Music - I haven’t paid attention for a long time now.

I took my son to the movies this week - when I bought tickets, it had been 2 years since I’d last been. Nothing has been compelling since my daughter and I did the Infinity Saga. She’s gone to college and I just wait for movies to hit streaming.

Pop culture - most movies/bingeable shows, streaming services, social media, video games, concerts, news

Stuff I ditched/never started - meat, alcohol, religion, politics, photos

Last edited:

There are many restaurants in SLC where we can have a great meal, with drinks, for far less than $100.
Which restaurants in SLC?

I'm not going to wait on @rockaction to start the companion thread (if he hasn't already), but the one area of pop culture I've never stopped paying attention to is music.
I'll never understand why most people get locked into a particular era of music, claiming that the new stuff sucks, but are open to new movies. There's quality and dreck in every era.

I was never into reality shows but now I actively avoid them. Folks around the lunch table talk about Dancing with the Stars, Below Deck, the Masked Singer, some naked people in the wilderness (which I wouldn't mind catching), the Bachelor, Amazing Race, etc. There are tons of them and I'm just not interested in the least (except for the potentiality of naked people in the wilderness.)

I was never into reality shows but now I actively avoid them. Folks around the lunch table talk about Dancing with the Stars, Below Deck, the Masked Singer, some naked people in the wilderness (which I wouldn't mind catching), the Bachelor, Amazing Race, etc. There are tons of them and I'm just not interested in the least (except for the potentiality of naked people in the wilderness.)
I think it was MTV's The Real World that started this reality show trend in the '90s and just accelerated from there.

I'm not going to wait on @rockaction to start the companion thread (if he hasn't already), but the one area of pop culture I've never stopped paying attention to is music.
I'll never understand why most people get locked into a particular era of music, claiming that the new stuff sucks, but are open to new movies. There's quality and dreck in every era.

Great idea about the music thread. Feel free to fire it up if you want!

To me, I don't think it's necessarily nostalgia, but the fact that the SNL crew is just not as talented/funny as it used to be. There have been plenty of ups and downs with the crew over the years, and it seems to have been in a down cycle for many years now. Again, just my opinion, as it's all subjective.
I agree entirely with FBG. SNL has always been hit or miss, the great thing is they’re not afraid to take chances. I remember not loving a few of the skits in the 80s at the time but liked them more in later viewings.

Fantasy football.

Was way into it for years (well, that's relative and a lot of people here wouldn't think I was way into it since I only ever kept to one league, but I still felt like I was way into it) but once I decided to take a break some years ago, nothing about it has drawn me back in.

Now when I hear people talking about it IRL, it all just sounds so stupid.

This thought experiment has made me realize how walled off from things I've become.

I don't use social media. Even finding out that you really can't do a decent job search/application without LinkedIn annoys me. The idea of "influencers" just seems ridiculous.

As was said before here - I doubt I could name 5 popular songs from about the last decade.

I don't really even watch much news.

I guess I'm better with movies. But there hasn't been a ton that really floated my boat.

I think I might be about to write an anti-government missive. :unsure:

Last edited:
Relevant tangent but I’m always a little fascinated in how people choose to spend their time. There’s so much to do, see and participate in nowadays that you have to really be selective or life can pass you by. I’ve ignored news and social media basically my entire life but I do “waste” a lot of time watching TV/sports and reading FBGs and Reddit.

Big time tangent - I do wonder if countries who require some level or service or volunteerism don’t have it mostly right - those are the things that matter and we are so constantly distracted it’s so easy to forget.

Agree with a lot that's already been mentioned. I'll add award shows, used to watch to discover new things but don't bother anymore. Grammys was much watch but it seems anything interesting would never be on it.

I agree, that is weird though from this thread it seems like some people have also mostly given up on new movies too.

I would have to say a lot of my sports interest has dwindled. I used to love boxing but they have made it so hard to watch, I just refuse to do all these PPVs and get pay for another monthly app. I have very little interest in MLB or NHL and I could barely name any active players. My interest in the NBA is pretty minimal as well. A big part of that is likely how awful the Detroit teams have been the last 10 years but in my 20s and early 30s, I was watching sports almost daily.

Marvel movies (and really most super hero movies other than Batman) have never done it for me and I love movies. I just don't get the appeal at all.
Never been interested in the vast majority of these.

While I actually liked the Mandalorian, I have not been interested in all of these Star Wars series.

TBH, comedy has really changed in the last 10 years. SNL probably isn’t doing many Biden skits. They used to be pretty edgy on political skits right from time the start.

TBH, comedy has really changed in the last 10 years. SNL probably isn’t doing many Biden skits. They used to be pretty edgy on political skits right from time the start.
Alec Baldwin did some nice skits portraying Trump, but it got kind of old IMO.

Alec Baldwin did some nice skits portraying Trump, but it got kind of old IMO.
They won’t do many skits about the presidents the left. Comedy has gone downhill a lot Too many people get offended over dumb things now. Look at the comedy movies now.

Marvel movies (and really most super hero movies other than Batman) have never done it for me and I love movies. I just don't get the appeal at all.
Never been interested in the vast majority of these.

While I actually liked the Mandalorian, I have not been interested in all of these Star Wars series.
When Lucas started tinkering with the old SW movies and then released Phantom Menace, that’s when I checked out on that.

Users who are viewing this thread