What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What are NFL rules concerning free agent acquisition during playoffs? (1 Viewer)

The Jerk

Footballguy
Can anyone help me find out what are the official policies of the NFL concerning free agency (and waivers) during the playoffs? What I'm looking for is probably best explained in example form:

The Titans have at least two defensive linemen who are currently injured and out of this week's game. Let's assume they both come back for the divisional playoff round but then are re-injured during a Tennessee victory. Could the Titans go out and sign a player to add depth to their defensive line during the week that leads up to the AFC championship?

Also, can players be dropped off the roster during the post-season for reasons other than injury?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by a moderator:
You can definitely sign free agents during the playoffs. I'm sure there's other examples, but the Giants signed Trey Junkin not long after he retired so he could replace an injured long snapper before a first round game vs San Francisco in 2002, and the rest, as they say, is history.

You can definitely sign free agents during the playoffs. I'm sure there's other examples, but the Giants signed Trey Junkin not long after he retired so he could replace an injured long snapper before a first round game vs San Francisco in 2002, and the rest, as they say, is history.
Beat me to it RUSF, that's the exact example that immediately came to my mind.-QG

Also, the Eagles signed a TE - I think it was Jeff Thomason and he was working construction - before the Super Bowl.

I'm sure "street" free agents are fair game. Not sure if anyone has ever been signed off waivers, as if someone did get waived - I think they would have to pass through lesser ecords first. Probably can sign off your own practice squad - not sure about other teams's practice squads.

Users who are viewing this thread