What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What College Football Program Do You Follow and Why? (2 Viewers)

UT - went to a college without a football team (UCSB) and kind of just latched on to the 'Horns after college. Had wanted to go to grad school there, loved Ricky Williams... my #1 team, especially after spending 6 years in Austin. Ah, tailgating.

UCLA was close to home, had some buddies-of-buddies that played there in the mid-90's, so like to see them do well. Not a huge fan though... just prefer them over the spoiled brats across town.

Washington.

My dad went to UW undergrad and law school and I was born in Seattle so I've been a Husky fan since I can remember.

I went to a small liberal arts college in Walla Walla, WA for undergrad with no football program, so still a Husky football fan. Then to UW for medical school, fortuitously from '89 to '93, so I was able to see every home game in their only national championship year--would've loved to have seen a UW-Miami BCS title game that year.

This season is probably going to be rough--go Dawgs.

In order of "preference"

Penn State - only went there for my MBA, but was the best 2 years of my life. Met my wife there. The game-day atmosphere in Happy Valley is better than any place I've ever seen a game. Period. Student section was amazing, stadium is dynamic, tailgating is awesome, and the teams when I was there were pretty good.

West Virginia - My parents both went there. Always enjoyed watching WVU games with my Dad, and liked the program. If I could pick any school to win a national championship, it'd be WVU, simply because it'd make my Dad's life complete.

Virginia - I went to UVa. for undergrad. I just never really got into UVa. football, but still followed them just because. I was there for the end of the Barber twins era, and the Thomas Jones era. Most of the student body wore khakis and ties to the football games. I just didn't get this and never did it, and thus preferred sitting on the hill with the townies vs. sitting in the student section.

There is just nothing better than a college football game in the fall. Can't wait.
Maybe an NFL game in the fall?
Not even close. I would rather go to a hockey game tbh.
Now that I think about it, so would I.

The NFL was created by college football players who wanted to continue playing. I think that's great, but there's just something about the atmosphere of a college football game that the NFL just can't reproduce. I'd go to a semi-meaningless college game, like Bowling Green/Western Michigan, before an NFL game. In fact, NFL is more enjoyable being watched on TV. But you don't get the atmosphere of a college game on TV.

There is just nothing better than a college football game in the fall. Can't wait.

The NFL was created by college football players who wanted to continue playing. I think that's great, but there's just something about the atmosphere of a college football game that the NFL just can't reproduce. I'd go to a semi-meaningless college game, like Bowling Green/Western Michigan, before an NFL game. In fact, NFL is more enjoyable being watched on TV. But you don't get the atmosphere of a college game on TV.
A great college football game is the best there is by far, the problem is maybe 5% of the games each Saturday are worth watching. There's nothing I'd rather watch than a top 5 match-up, but I always remember that earlier in the day Iowa State was playing Kansas.

The NFL is best used as an excuse to gamble. #### watching it for entertainment.
I've heard from people that one can also gamble on the college game, and that there is more of them.
Granted it's been about 10 years since I've bet on college games, and things may have changed with the analytics, but you could also do much better with college than the pros if you basically focused on one or two conferences.Online books especially were pretty slow to adjust to teams' performance as the season was moving along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I think about it, so would I.The NFL was created by college football players who wanted to continue playing. I think that's great, but there's just something about the atmosphere of a college football game that the NFL just can't reproduce. I'd go to a semi-meaningless college game, like Bowling Green/Western Michigan, before an NFL game. In fact, NFL is more enjoyable being watched on TV. But you don't get the atmosphere of a college game on TV.
A great college football game is the best there is by far, the problem is maybe 5% of the games each Saturday are worth watching. There's nothing I'd rather watch than a top 5 match-up, but I always remember that earlier in the day Iowa State was playing Kansas.
I would watch the #### out of a Kansas Iowa State game right now.

I think that's true.

For me, it mostly comes down to watching the best of the best players compete.

And I only watch on TV.

I think that's true.

And I only watch on TV.
Such a dumb argument. Put Alabama in a Cleveland uniform and Florida State in a Jacksonville uniform, have them kick off at noon against each other on a Sunday and you couldn't tell the difference from your couch.

I think that's true.

And I only watch on TV.
Such a dumb argument. Put Alabama in a Cleveland uniform and Florida State in a Jacksonville uniform, have them kick off at noon against each other on a Sunday and you couldn't tell the difference from your couch.
:lmao:

I think that's true.

And I only watch on TV.
I disagree.

Watch any college football game, and you'll see a game being played by players where half of them are playing in the last season that they will ever play the game they love. And they play like they know that. Every game matters to them. Every down matters to them.

NFL players play like it's a job.

The fact they aren't the best players lends to the unpredictability of the games, and adds to the enjoyment. Hockey, baseball, and football all have great games at levels below the highest level but college football is the best. The fan experience also easily trumps the NFL Sunday drunk hero crowd, and let's face it....fantasy football has watered the experience down even further.

NFL provides great endings since the teams are generally pretty even, but college football provides for a level of unpredictable craziness that is impossible in the NFL. Because these are kids playing a men's game, and weird #### happens.

Now that I think about it, so would I.The NFL was created by college football players who wanted to continue playing. I think that's great, but there's just something about the atmosphere of a college football game that the NFL just can't reproduce. I'd go to a semi-meaningless college game, like Bowling Green/Western Michigan, before an NFL game. In fact, NFL is more enjoyable being watched on TV. But you don't get the atmosphere of a college game on TV.
I think that's true.

And I only watch on TV.
:lmao:

The fact they aren't the best players lends to the unpredictability of the games, and adds to the enjoyment. Hockey, baseball, and football all have great games at levels below the highest level but college football is the best. The fan experience also easily trumps the NFL Sunday drunk hero crowd, and let's face it....fantasy football has watered the experience down even further.

NFL provides great endings since the teams are generally pretty even, but college football provides for a level of unpredictable craziness that is impossible in the NFL. Because these are kids playing a men's game, and weird #### happens.
:goodposting: the in game experience difference cannot be overstated. It is a chore going to an NFL game where some accountant behind you is blasted and half a miller lite away from yelling the N word at some player on the other team and starting a fight with some meathead 5 seats down.

All the NFL game experiences are the same. Micromanaged, corporate, bland and boring. Every college game experience is different. There's just nothing like it but if you aren't into it, I'm not going to try and talk you into it. You either love it or you don't.

I think the difference in playing styles is also a big part of the draw for the college game. Yeah some NFL teams play more wide open or conservative offenses than others, but it's not anywhere near the same degree as watching Clemson - Georgia Tech, for example.

I think your last paragraph sums up why I prefer the NFL. I like seeing great players playing a competitive game. I'd rather not see a 52-0 blowout with kids I never heard of or care to know. Now, if we are talking about a good college football game with two top ranked teams, that's different. I'll watch and enjoy that but overall, it's all just too amateur for my tastes. It really is kids playing a men's game.

For all you guys who enjoy college football more than the NFL, do you watch high school football?
Yes, but college games are a lot better to attend. I think it's because too many kids decided to play in high school for reasons other than their love of the game. Parental pressure, social pressure, etc.... There are also a lot of un-coachable players and coaches who should not be coaches. And the worst part is the parents who think their kid is a future 1st round draft pick but the coach isn't even sure he should be on the field. It's really distracting. I'd go so far as to say the atmosphere of high school games suck... but it's not a bad way to spend a Friday night when it's your kids school, or your community's school. I would never go to a high school game were I didn't have some direct tie to. I would however go to a college game between two schools I have zero ties to. It's just a great experience.

For all you guys who enjoy college football more than the NFL, do you watch high school football?
Sure. My daughter is in high school, and I'll take her sometimes on Friday nights. She loves it, and she's learning about the game more than she would any other way. Also, used to love watching the LA state championship games in the Dome, but I haven't done that in a while. It's vastly different than college ball, but it's still football and it's still a lot of fun to watch, particularly when you can see highly ranked recruits playing at that level.

Users who are viewing this thread