What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What do the Redskins have to do next year to improve? (1 Viewer)

laughinboy_2000

Footballguy
Redskin homer here and to say that this year was a disappointment for them would be an understatement. :bye:

I cannot stand the way Snyder forks over his money for players like Brandon Lloyd, and Adam Archelleta. amoung others. That being said, I for one do think Gibbs will be back, and I still like the hiring of Al Saunders as the OC. So this brings me to my question and the reason for my post. What is missing in DC?

Here are my thoughts.

1. Need to sure up the QB situation. (maybe Jake Plummer?)

2. The O-Line is getting very very old, and this is where I think they need to invest a draft pick.

3. Need big time help stopping the Pass (FA, or draft picks?)

Thoughts? :)

They need a backup QB, but IMO Campbell has the ability to be very good. Not "elite" by any stretch, but good enough.

The team needs time to work together, nobody signs that many new players and wins immediately. They have a decent core group, but yes, the OL is getting old.

They will be better next year.

They need to be patient and build through the draft as well as building from the inside (OL, DL) out.

Signing Antwan Randel El to 20+ Million? :)
Actually I like this signing. He's one of the best PR's and KR's in the league. Offensively, I don't think they used him enough this year. I guess this goes back to the team not figuring out the offense yet. Once he figures out the offense, he will be more productive. Maybe last week's 6 catch, 85 yard, and one TD effort is a sign of things to come?

The offense isn;t far off IMO. Trent Green has stated it takes minimum of 2 years to get it going in Al Saunders system, so I think they'll be okay on that side of the ball. Defensively Gregg Williams has seen his D ranking drop each year since being in DC. He busted on his hand picked FAs in Andre Carter, Adam Archuleta and Kenny Wright. Carter's play has come on recently, but Archuleta is in a big dog house. I expect the Skins to bite the bullet and cut him. That could very well be addition by subtraction. The lack of any pass rush is what hurts this D and I would expect the Skins to address that through the draft (Gaines Adams?) and possibly free agency. I'd look for the Skins to sign a corner as well since Springs, who is very good when on the field, has proven he cannot stay healthy and is getting old as well.

jbz said:
The offense isn;t far off IMO. Trent Green has stated it takes minimum of 2 years to get it going in Al Saunders system, so I think they'll be okay on that side of the ball. Defensively Gregg Williams has seen his D ranking drop each year since being in DC. He busted on his hand picked FAs in Andre Carter, Adam Archuleta and Kenny Wright. Carter's play has come on recently, but Archuleta is in a big dog house. I expect the Skins to bite the bullet and cut him. That could very well be addition by subtraction. The lack of any pass rush is what hurts this D and I would expect the Skins to address that through the draft (Gaines Adams?) and possibly free agency. I'd look for the Skins to sign a corner as well since Springs, who is very good when on the field, has proven he cannot stay healthy and is getting old as well.
I agree and disagree with you. I'm not too upset about the Archuleta signing, I even thought it was pretty clear that if the corners stayed healthy he was a good sign. Keep throwing him up on the LOS to blitz the QB, one of his biggest strengths, he has always been weak in coverage. Carter has come on ok lately, hopefully he will continue his better play over the next few weeks. I am very eager to see next year, another year in the offensive system I think the Skins can be outstanding. Lloyd hasn't done much, but neither did Patten last year, until he got hurt and Moss's stats plumeted.They will restructure some contracts in the offseason, I'm hoping we get a good draft prospect. I wouldn't mind seeing Freeney or Cato June since both will be FA next year. We really need corner help, and a O line prospect in the draft would be very handy.

Well, they gave up their second round pick to the Jets. Their third round pick to the Broncos and I thought I saw something about SF having their 4th round pick. I guess Danny Boy will be signing some more free agents.

Well, they gave up their second round pick to the Jets. Their third round pick to the Broncos and I thought I saw something about SF having their 4th round pick. I guess Danny Boy will be signing some more free agents.
of course he will. Depending on who it is, I wouldn't mind getting Cato June or Dwight Freeney....they probably will be there in FA.

Keep the ####### owner away from any and all personnel decisions.
A GM would be freakin nice :rolleyes: Gotta find impact players at DL and CB with the first rounder and 1 $$ signing in free agency.Gaines Adams and Asante Samuel? Leon Hall and Justin Smith? After that, sign some cheap stop gap players in free agency at MLB, DL, OL, and blocking TE.And leave the 2008 picks alone...

Last edited by a moderator:
As of right now, this is their schedule next year:

Home:

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Buffalo Bills

Miami Dolphins

Same place finisher from NFC West - Arizona Cardinals

Away:

Dallas Cowboys

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Same place finisher from NFC South - Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Adding Green Bay, Detroit, Buffalo, Tampa Bay and Arizona is not a bad start for any improvement.

A GM would be freakin nice :ptts: Gotta find impact players at DL and CB with the first rounder and 1 $$ signing in free agency.Gaines Adams and Asante Samuel? Leon Hall and Justin Smith? After that, sign some cheap stop gap players in free agency at MLB, DL, OL, and blocking TE.And leave the 2008 picks alone...
I dont like Cerrato. I'm one of the few that like Snyder. I love having a owner that will spend spend spend. Casserly is available, and even after his Houston mess, I wouldn't mind having him in there. He did pick Samuels and Arrington.

Casserly sucks in player evaluation. He's good in wheeling and dealing to get more picks, move up or down in the draft and what not. There's a reason the franchise he ran from day 1 picked #1 overall more then once and are contending for a very early pick again.

Picking Samuels and Arrington wasn't very hard either. They were the obvious picks for the Skins needs and picking at #2 and #3 isn;t where these guys make their money. Finding the gems in the late round is where it's at and Casserly's drafts produced mostly crap for the Skins and Texans so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever since Gibbs came back, Daniel Snyder signs checks, works deals with agents and sends out his fancy jet to go pick free agents up. He doesn't choose these guys. Maybe he did in the best, but now that "GM" title sits with Joe Gibbs. Gregg Williams basically has say on who is picked up for the defense. Gibbs has come out recently and said he would be open to a full time GM if that's what is necessary (in Washington Post article). If you think about it, this past offseason is the the first time Gibbs and Co. struck out in it's moves. Prior to that, they picked up Portis, Santana Moss, Casey Rabach, Mark Brunell (a stretch, but he was better then Ramsey), Shawn Springs, Cornelius Griffin, Marcus Washington, Chris Cooley, Sean Taylor, Carlos Rogers, and Joe Salevea, just to name a few. This past off-season, they went for ARE (hit IMO, I like what he brings to the table), Brandon Lloyd (overkill, Lloyd is good player, but not enough balls for him to live up to contract), Andre Carter (bust so far, but he's played well recently), Adam Archuleta (bust, got pulled from special teams even), Kenny Wright (starting more then expected, so-so player) and few others. Since Gibbs finally experienced some failure with these offseason moves, I expect him to take it on better this time around. He's not one to fail at something then not do something to improve it.

The offense is set and I would be perfectly happy if all 11 starters returned. The line is not "old", but they're certainly mature as a group, heading for the last years of their careers for the most part, and the team needs to start stockpiling depth. They have some time there.

The WR group I think has suffered from the QB play, so I'm not ready to bash them. I couldn't be happier with the TE's or RB's. I like Campbell and think he can be good, and maybe very good.

Defense is where they need help. Only the DT's and OLB's are set. They need another pass rushing end. They could really use a play-maker at MLB, and they need a SS and another CB though they may be able to squeeze another year out of the current group of safeties (minus Archuleta).

In rough order of priority:

DE

CB

MLB

OT (starter in waiting)

C (starter in waiting)

OG (starter in waiting)

Ever since Gibbs came back, Daniel Snyder signs checks, works deals with agents and sends out his fancy jet to go pick free agents up. He doesn't choose these guys. Maybe he did in the best, but now that "GM" title sits with Joe Gibbs. Gregg Williams basically has say on who is picked up for the defense. Gibbs has come out recently and said he would be open to a full time GM if that's what is necessary (in Washington Post article). If you think about it, this past offseason is the the first time Gibbs and Co. struck out in it's moves. Prior to that, they picked up Portis, Santana Moss, Casey Rabach, Mark Brunell (a stretch, but he was better then Ramsey), Shawn Springs, Cornelius Griffin, Marcus Washington, Chris Cooley, Sean Taylor, Carlos Rogers, and Joe Salevea, just to name a few. This past off-season, they went for ARE (hit IMO, I like what he brings to the table), Brandon Lloyd (overkill, Lloyd is good player, but not enough balls for him to live up to contract), Andre Carter (bust so far, but he's played well recently), Adam Archuleta (bust, got pulled from special teams even), Kenny Wright (starting more then expected, so-so player) and few others. Since Gibbs finally experienced some failure with these offseason moves, I expect him to take it on better this time around. He's not one to fail at something then not do something to improve it.
Picked up Portis . . . and GAVE UP shut down corner Champ Bailey AND a 2nd Round Pick (Tatum Bell)Picked up Brunell . . . and GAVE UP a 3rd Round pick then gave him a Big contract. Jax would have cut himLet's not forget the 3rd rounder they gave up for T.J. Duckett, the picks they gave up for Brandon LloydTraded up for jason Campbell and Rocky mcintosh . . . let's see how those work out. This administration has done a bad job of managing their roster. Period. They have overpaid in FA and in trades almost everytime. Charlie Casserly would be a big improvement . . . just DON'T let him every make a Top 5 pick . . . Heath Shuler, Michael Westbrook, Desmond Howard, David Carr, Mario Williams the list goes on. But he's money in the later rounds always found talent there.

Picked up Portis . . . and GAVE UP shut down corner Champ Bailey AND a 2nd Round Pick (Tatum Bell)Picked up Brunell . . . and GAVE UP a 3rd Round pick then gave him a Big contract. Jax would have cut himLet's not forget the 3rd rounder they gave up for T.J. Duckett, the picks they gave up for Brandon LloydTraded up for jason Campbell and Rocky mcintosh . . . let's see how those work out. This administration has done a bad job of managing their roster. Period. They have overpaid in FA and in trades almost everytime. Charlie Casserly would be a big improvement . . . just DON'T let him every make a Top 5 pick . . . Heath Shuler, Michael Westbrook, Desmond Howard, David Carr, Mario Williams the list goes on. But he's money in the later rounds always found talent there.
Bailey was going to leave anyway. The 2nd rounder was too much, but I think Portis has been worth it.

They need player stability. They change their roster to much and never give it a chance to mesh. That team is not far off from being a contender. They do need to get a good Free agent QB. Not sure but isnt Matt Schaub Atl a free agent after this season. That would get this team to the playoffs along with a healthy Portis.

Not a skins fan at all but I think this year was a bit of a fluke.

Take LT away from SD, or LJ from KC, or Gore from my 49ers. Losing Portis for the better part of the season killed them this year. In games where he carried more than 15 times this season they are 3-1.

Spending the kind of money they did on Lloyd was a huge mistake. I like Randel El but I think they overpaid for him too.

Shaun Springs was also out for most of the season. That reallt hurt their ability to stop the pass.

Hang in there, they should compete for a playoff spot next year.

thayman said:
traderkirk said:
jbz said:
Bailey was going to leave anyway. The 2nd rounder was too much, but I think Portis has been worth it.
:wall: People forget that Champ had made it clear he wouldn't resign with them. That trade has to be regarded as a win-win for Denver and Washington. Actually, they've had a bunch of free agent and drafting successes that nobody seems to talk about. The first year brought in Portis, Sellers, Griffin, Washington, Taylor, Daniels, Springs, Marshall, Clark, Harris, Salave'a and Cooley. The next year they got Campbell, Rabach, and Moss. Randle El was a great pickup for them. They were the first ones to give Lemar Marshall any kind of chance to play when Arrington went down to injury in 2004. They brought in Ryan Clark who played very well for them. Ditto Walt Harris. Brunell cost a lot to acquire but also performed far better than most people thought he could, and enabled them time to develop Campbell to take over and even got them to the playoffs. The Betts situation was handled masterfully. They were smart to let Smoot go and get overpaid by someone else who suffered from the illusion that he was a franchise caliber shut-down corner. The Jacobs for Rumph trade was smart and got value at a position of need, but it obviously didn't yield them much at the end of the day. Gibbs was also smart to get rid of Coles and Gardner, who were malcontents who would have poisoned the locker room. Also, it's easily forgotten but the retention of Ramsey for an additional year won them that crucial Giants game last year which kept their playoff hopes alive. The jury is still out on Lloyd and Carter. Their greatest sins IMHO were letting Pierce and Ryan Clark go in FA, and bringing in Archuleta to replace Clark.

Signing Antwan Randel El to 20+ Million? :unsure:
So says one of the many Bear's fans who thought ARE was going to Chicago. Jealous?Don't forget that Angelo offered him 18 million.ARE got 10 million guaranteed, but most of the salary is backloaded. He is a major reason the Skins' special teams have turned around this season. His signing was much more effective than the Archuletta signing. (who the Bears ALSO wanted)

Mustang Man said:
They need player stability. They change their roster to much and never give it a chance to mesh. That team is not far off from being a contender. They do need to get a good Free agent QB. Not sure but isnt Matt Schaub Atl a free agent after this season. That would get this team to the playoffs along with a healthy Portis.
Campbell is the future of the team. It's best to let him continue to take his lumps this season, I think he has all the tools to be a good (not a great) QB. Also I think it was 18 or 20 starters returned from last season.

Mustang Man said:
Schaub will be a RFA, who McKay has already said will recieve a 1st round tender. He'll cost the Skins a 1st & 3rd round pick if they want him.

traderkirk said:
jbz said:
hey, I didn't say they were good spenders. As already noted, Champ was good as gone. They got what they could in return. The 2nd was unnecessary. Brunell, I called him a stretch and personally, I hated the pick up and the fact they gave up a 3rd rounder for him when he was about to be cut. Seems like the Skins for some odd friggen reason don't value draft picks. I never said TJ Duckett was a good pick up either, that was obviously a panic move when Portis injured his shoulder. LOL at your Casserly statements though. He was terrible at player evals and his late round picks never panned out outside of a few. His best late round guy was Stephen Davis in the 4th and Gus Ferotte in the 7th.

Seems like the Skins for some odd friggen reason don't value draft picks.
Their philosophy is that draft picks are overvalued in trades involving 3-5 year veterans, and that those veterans tend to still be young, but have also played enough so that they have proved themselves in the NFL. For example, they traded Lloyd for a 3rd in 2006 and a 4th in 2007 (he was a RFA and they were obligated to trade for a 1st rounder had they not reached an agreement). What are the chances that they would have been able to get a WR as good as Lloyd with one of those picks, and how long would they have had to wait until he reached that potential? This is just a different way of approaching the building of a team, and we haven't seen it done long enough with a good coaching staff on hand to say whether it's a good approach or not.

Users who are viewing this thread