What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

what do we know about Rusty Smith (1 Viewer)

red

Footballguy
Rusty Smith, QB TENNews: Tennessee QB Rusty Smith entered the Week 11 game against Washington after Vince Young suffered a thumb injury. Smith targeted Randy Moss on his first NFL pass attempt and it could have been a touchdown had Moss not committed offensive pass interference. Smith led a crucial fourth-quarter scoring drive for the Titans to give them a short-lived 16-13 lead. Washington ended up tying the score and winning the game in overtime. Smith threw a critical interception with 5:12 to play that could have been the game-winning drive for Tennessee. Smith finished with 62 yards passing on 3 of 9 throwing with one interception. Young was visibly upset on the sideline during and after the game and coach Jeff Fisher said Young has lost his starting job after the game.Analysis: Young clearly wanted back in the game but Fisher stuck with the rookie out of FAU. It ultimately backfired and Young left the stadium in a tirade. That tirade may have cost him his job as starter and Smith could be at the helm in Week 12 at Houston. Smith displayed the ability to throw the deep ball and could be a decent sleeper in Week 12 against one of the worst passing defenses in football. That said, a lot could happen between now and then so continue to stay tuned to this saga.
rookie QB facing one of the worst defenses in the league. he'll now have a week of practice to prepare. moss hasn't caught a ball yet as Titan. what do we know about Rusty. strong arm for the deep ball? check downs to the TE? hand off to CJ because he's a rook and #3 on the depth chart? what's the buzz in tenn?

FAU was started from scratch by Howard Schnellenberger. It's been rolling along for close to 10 years now. Smith is a project QB in the NFL. You cannot be happy as a Titans fan hearing that he is your new starter.

All I know is, I was at the game yesterday, and Young did not even LOOK at the side of the field Moss was on. When Rusty came in, he IMMEDIATELY went to Moss. I think Moss's numbers will be better with Rusty, but still not great numbers.

All I know is, I was at the game yesterday, and Young did not even LOOK at the side of the field Moss was on. When Rusty came in, he IMMEDIATELY went to Moss. I think Moss's numbers will be better with Rusty, but still not great numbers.
Moss has ZERO catches in TWO games. How could his numbers not get better?

Moss has ZERO catches in TWO games.
He has one catch with the Titans. I honestly think Moss could do worse than he did yesterday. If there was a way for Moss to get negative receptions I think he could do it this season.

He has one catch with the Titans. I honestly think Moss could do worse than he did yesterday. If there was a way for Moss to get negative receptions I think he could do it this season.
You're right, he had a 26 yard reception in his first week. He's been so awful all season long his crapiness all blurs together.

Biggest game to date for Moss. Smith will be able to chuck it Moss's way against the hapless Houston D. It will look like the genius move by Fisher. Later it will probably blow up in his face if Smith falters. You don't get a better matchup in your 1st NFL start than against the worse pass D.

Biggest game to date for Moss. Smith will be able to chuck it Moss's way against the hapless Houston D. It will look like the genius move by Fisher. Later it will probably blow up in his face if Smith falters. You don't get a better matchup in your 1st NFL start than against the worse pass D.
True, but he was playing the second-worst pass defense in the league yesterday and didn't get it done.

He could catch a screen pass, fumble it, and then be used as a decoy for the rest of the game.

Raider Nation said:
Based only on what I saw yesterday, Smith has an excellent chance to be the worst QB in NFL history.
Funny comment coming from a Raiders fan throwing rocks at "worst QB in history" on any other team.

I'd put him down for 275 yards passing and 2 TDs. He will get sacked 5 times by Mario Williams, then with seconds left in the game, he will get intercepted by Pollard who will run it back near the goalline before turning around and throwing a 90 yard hail mary that Chris Johnson will catch for the game winning TD. And noone can look at me with a straight face and say its impossible.

packersfan said:
Dr. Awesome said:
ahill84006 said:
In leagues that have negative points for fumbles, he could catch one pass for no gain and immediately fumble. :confused:

From the summary section of my 2010 RSP...

Positives: Smith has some refined techniques in a pro style offense. He executes pump fakes and play fakes extremely well, and he can set and throw while moving to his right or turning to his right on a play fake and moving back to his left. He has decent velocity on the football in the short and intermediate range. Smith also can throw the ball on the run to his right with decent accuracy. I like that he knows how to slide away from pressure in the pocket and senses the rush reasonably well. He makes good adjustments at the LOS, switching the blocking schemes to pick up the blitz or adjusting the direction of a run to the optimal side of the defense. Despite these positives, I think Smith needs a lot of refinement in the fundamentals of his drop, set, and throwing motion to get a chance to make a depth chart. He's a project at this stage.

Weak Points: His greatest issues are his elongated windup and his tendency to hurry his execution of his mechanics when under pressure. He can slide away from pressure, but he doesn't take that extra half-beat to reset his feet and his causes him to throw the ball inaccurately. This hurried execution is both a product of poor mechanics and his mind working too fast. This frenetic style in the pocket under pressure is something he'll need to correct to get a shot at being anything more than a lifetime reserve QB in the NFL. It's very clear the he may make the right moves to avoid pressure, but his rushed approach with these moves when he sees an opponents' jersey flash through the line of scrimmage is a big sign that he is lacks the poise to deal with it well. Smith has some arm strength, but he overestimates his ability to get the ball down field on the run. Twice he tried to throw deep passes while rolling right that were severely under thrown. He was lucky the first attempt was intercepted and even luckier that the second attempt resulted in a touchdown. He also has too wide of a stance when he sets his feet to deliver the ball and passes over 15 yards get progressively less accurate the further his passes have to travel.

Teams will simply stack the box on CJ and dare Rusty to throw.

CJ will get more carries and less yards. My only hope is that Rusty checks down to CJ like collins and VY did last year and he becomes more involved in the passing game.

I pray Collins returns by week 14. The next two weeks could be brutal for CJ owners.

Dr. Awesome said:
ahill84006 said:
He did have a catch at Miami.

Raider Nation said:
Chris Simms will be brought in, and he should be starting in no time.
Why?Titans are 5-5. 5 of last 6 games are in the Division. If you lose a couple...you have NO chance at division or wildcard. What would there possibly be to gain by playing a QB with no future when you can play it out with rookie just to see what he has and if there is any reason to keep the draft choice?

He was kept over Simms.

Matt's got a great review there. He's not that good but he's fun to watch.

I think there's a chance he does pretty well. KC, and VY even moreso, always make the easy throws and he's got some nerve to him. It might take Moss stealing some passes from the DBs, but the kid's gonna throw it.

I'd put him down for 275 yards passing and 2 TDs. He will get sacked 5 times by Mario Williams, then with seconds left in the game, he will get intercepted by Pollard who will run it back near the goalline before turning around and throwing a 90 yard hail mary that Chris Johnson will catch for the game winning TD. And noone can look at me with a straight face and say its impossible.
good stuff, this! nicely done!best case scenario for fantasy owners is he throws it up to Moss and Nate 3-4 times per game...each, and bails out with dumpoffs to CJ and TEs. for titans fans, this is dark days. chris sims would be welcome news!oh, and CJ owners should seriously consider testing the market for playoff starters, just to see what's out there. maybe somebody sees a buy low opportunity but you talk them into decent value...considering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched Rusty Smith during the week of practice for the Texas vs The Nation Game earlier this year in El Paso and was not impressed with his skill set. He was working in practice with his head coach from FAU Howard Schnellenberger and still looked awful.

He stares down his primary receivers, and tends to feel pressure when none exists. I like his mobility, he can keep plays alive with his feet but sometimes he'll move into pressure instead of away from it.

Worse thing about his skill set is his propensity to throw flat footed. A quarterback needs to stay on the balls of his feet when throwing but Rusty will just stand there and wing it.

Simms will be back for Tennessee, and the team can't wait for Collins to get healthy.

I do know that Rusty Hilger was a crappy QB. Rusty Smith seems to be cut from the same mold.

I watched Rusty Smith during the week of practice for the Texas vs The Nation Game earlier this year in El Paso and was not impressed with his skill set. He was working in practice with his head coach from FAU Howard Schnellenberger and still looked awful. He stares down his primary receivers, and tends to feel pressure when none exists. I like his mobility, he can keep plays alive with his feet but sometimes he'll move into pressure instead of away from it. Worse thing about his skill set is his propensity to throw flat footed. A quarterback needs to stay on the balls of his feet when throwing but Rusty will just stand there and wing it. Simms will be back for Tennessee, and the team can't wait for Collins to get healthy.
To what degree do these things get worked on in camp? I mean, what does a 3rd string QB with his time? Presumably there's somebody working with him on his mechanics. He may fall flat on his face in HOU, but he looked like a confident and capable QB last week.

Users who are viewing this thread