What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What do you think about Farve missing camp now? (1 Viewer)

From what I saw, there weren't many bad throws by Farve. There were a few, but not like he was doing a horrible job. All the mistakes Harvin made.. if he would have caught half of the passes thrown to him the game would have been completely different. I thought farve was throwing fire when he could throw from balance. Balls were coming in fast and straight. And there were very few balls that weren't on target and without "zip" We must have been watching different games.
As biased and a hater that some blame me to be...come on with this.You didn't see many bad throws?Did you watch the same game and 2nd half that I did?I did not say it was a horrible job...but he was off.Thing is, Favre has been able to throw fire off balance, and it did not seem to be there at times tonight.I agree, we were watching different games, as were guys like Dungy who echoed similar things to me after the game.But Im sure he is just a hater too right?
Everyone knows you to be the #1 critic of anything Farve or Vikings on this board, so I'm baffled by your "who me" act...And, I take everything the commentators say with a grain of salt.. They're entertainers first and foremost. Harvin was putrid, and if he were to have caught just 2 more balls, that would have kept the heavy coverage off of Shianco who was obviously the best viking receiver on the field tonight. Would have also extended the drives allowing more plays. The Vikings could have won this game tonight with better WR play, and then NOBODY would have been blaming Farve for anything...
#1 critic...not really, just can call it how Ive seen it with him. I defend him plenty too.There was not much to defend tonight. He and Harvin both looked rusty.Dungy may be an "entertainer" now...but come on, that will be your excuse for that?I think they could have won with better play from the WRs or from the QB...or from a coach smart enough to actually give the ball to his best player.But your constant excuses for Favre are getting laughable.
Whatever you say bud... It's actually pretty predictable that you'll be in every Farve thread basting him on rotisserie...
And its predictable that you would be defending everything.And I don't think legit criticism that 90% of people that watched that game agrees on is bashing him.I doubt you will find a single write up by anyone other than homers or Favre defenders that would agree with your point on this that he was not that off and it was all just the WRs.

Gonna let you get your hate in while you can Sho, God knows you need it and have waited oh so long for it.

2009 week 1@Cle 14/21 for 110 yards 1TD.

2010 week 1@NO 15/27 for 171 yards 1TD.

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!

Go figure the haters have to get in their shots while they can. If this was week 6 maybe I'd start to agree with you. Forgive me for not feeling like the sky is falling.Resume the hate, because something has to distract from your own teams shortcomings.
You don't think Favre being in camp earlier would have been beneficial to this year's team? :lmao:
The question is would any benefit of him being in camp outweigh the imminent fatigue he would have later in the season?

Gonna let you get your hate in while you can Sho, God knows you need it and have waited oh so long for it.2009 week 1@Cle 14/21 for 110 yards 1TD.2010 week 1@NO 15/27 for 171 yards 1TD. THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!!!
Where have I said the sky is falling?I said he looked off for this game.I have made no predictions about how it will play out the rest of the year.Do you agree he looked off tonight?Seriously...what in my post in this thread is "hate"?He was off...its ok to admit it and call him on it. Several other players were as well.The Williams boys got pushed off the ball late in the game when the Saints run game got momentum.I thought they stepped up against the pass though. Only giving up 14 to that offense when you have only 3 CBs is pretty darn good.Quit just looking at my name and thinking any criticism is automatically Favre hate people.

I thought he looked fine. Legs looked pretty good, he just has a bad group of WRs. His timing was definitely off in the 2nd half, and yes, the extra time in training camp would've helped, but Favre doesn't play WR and can't push his WRs to get open

My GF (a vikings fan) made the comment that he looked like he was walking gingerly throughout the game. This isn't going away.

They were playing a really good D based on what? I watched the game. Tonight's game is a very small sample size. Personally, I would rather look at a larger sample size (say, I don't know, 16 games) that says the Saints are a below average defense and the Vikings are a good passing offense (8th ranked passing O last season, but without their top receiver and with an aging QB). So, what gives? Bad passing defense holds good passing offense to 171 yards. Which is true, New Orlean's passing defense is suddenly great or is Minnesota's passing O on the decline? Or is it just that Favre is not in sync with his Wrs?

Go figure the haters have to get in their shots while they can. If this was week 6 maybe I'd start to agree with you. Forgive me for not feeling like the sky is falling.Resume the hate, because something has to distract from your own teams shortcomings.
You don't think Favre being in camp earlier would have been beneficial to this year's team? :lmao:
The question is would any benefit of him being in camp outweigh the imminent fatigue he would have later in the season?
Given what the Vikings have already been willing to do for Favre, I'm sure they could/would have tailored pre-season to fit his needs.Just a little sharper timing and a few less bounced passes could have won that game tonight.One game could easily be the difference at the end of the season between getting in the post season and/or home field.I'm thinking it's a pretty easy call that camp would have been beneficial for Favre and the Vikings.

And its predictable that you would be defending everything.And I don't think legit criticism that 90% of people that watched that game agrees on is bashing him.I doubt you will find a single write up by anyone other than homers or Favre defenders that would agree with your point on this that he was not that off and it was all just the WRs.
Harvin easily played worse than any other impact player in the game tonight.. So it's pretty easy for me to heap it on the WR's... Farve can't play well if he can't trust his WR's... Shianco was the only dependable target out there tonight and he wasn't only covered well in the second half, he was tucked in tight. Because the rest of the WR's were just flat out awful... Maybe the team should install remote controls on the WR's so Farve can drive them to the ball rather then throw the ball where they should be only to find they've given up or are completely clueless.. Horrible WR play is going to affect QB play, I don't see how you could argue differently.

Harvin easily played worse than any other impact player in the game tonight.. So it's pretty easy for me to heap it on the WR's... Farve can't play well if he can't trust his WR's... Shianco was the only dependable target out there tonight and he wasn't only covered well in the second half, he was tucked in tight. Because the rest of the WR's were just flat out awful... Maybe the team should install remote controls on the WR's so Farve can drive them to the ball rather then throw the ball where they should be only to find they've given up or are completely clueless.. Horrible WR play is going to affect QB play, I don't see how you could argue differently.
I don't think I am arguing differently. I think I am saying both were off...you want to blame it all on the WRs...I think that is laughable.Both were bad. Its ok to say so. Many other people saw it...people who aren't just "haters".Its not hate...its seeing the actual game and that he was just off at times, as were the WRs.

They were playing a really good D based on what? I watched the game. Tonight's game is a very small sample size. Personally, I would rather look at a larger sample size (say, I don't know, 16 games) that says the Saints are a below average defense and the Vikings are a good passing offense (8th ranked passing O last season, but without their top receiver and with an aging QB). So, what gives? Bad passing defense holds good passing offense to 171 yards. Which is true, New Orlean's passing defense is suddenly great or is Minnesota's passing O on the decline? Or is it just that Favre is not in sync with his Wrs?
Better yet, for the sake of your argument, lets break out the flux capacitor and fly the whole team back into 2009 to play last years NewOrleans D...

Last season they had a nice soft opening schedule to ease Favre into the flow. Of course both these teams should play better later in the season, but the Vikings better figure things out real quick or Miami gon' rip they nuts off.

I don't think I am arguing differently. I think I am saying both were off...you want to blame it all on the WRs...I think that is laughable.Both were bad. Its ok to say so. Many other people saw it...people who aren't just "haters".Its not hate...its seeing the actual game and that he was just off at times, as were the WRs.
If the Vikings would have one, the sheep would be licking his boots...I've never seen a QB throw a perfect game. If the WR's would have played 50% better, the QB play wouldn't have been graded much different then the Farve Typical

If the Vikings would have one, the sheep would be licking his boots...I've never seen a QB throw a perfect game. If the WR's would have played 50% better, the QB play wouldn't have been graded much different then the Farve Typical
If he would have done something down the stretch to win it...sure.But he didn't and they didn't.I don't recall saying he needed to throw a perfect game either.And if Favre would have played 50% better maybe the WRs look a little better too.I kept hearing how Rice was just a scrub and he makes guys look better.Now that doesn't work there are more excuses.Seriously...its ok to say he was a bit off. It won't make him cry and not like you anymore.

And if Favre would have played 50% better maybe the WRs look a little better too.
Try getting that one to float... If you really think ^that^, then we don't have anything to discuss.. The WR play was the worst I've watched in a while...

Better yet, for the sake of your argument, lets break out the flux capacitor and fly the whole team back into 2009 to play last years NewOrleans D...
O.K., so we should base it on nothing. Nice argument.

No thanks..

Harvin looks like he doesn't run solid enough routes to consistently get open yet. They are going to struggle without Rice and even if he comes back by say week 6 ... he isn't going to have legs for at least 2-3 more games minimum.

My GF (a vikings fan) made the comment that he looked like he was walking gingerly throughout the game. This isn't going away.
No disrespect to your girl but I thought he was moving pretty good. He had pressure on him most of the night and he moved within that about as good as can be expected. The problem was the Vikings receivers were not open, they did not play well. Farve didn't throw a strike every pass but those receivers left a lot to be desired.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is the beginning of the implosion of the Vikings season. They are literally one high profile injury away from the whole thing going to seed.It is going to be a pleasure to watch.
I said it in the off season. The Vikes had a horse shoe up their ### last year. They did not have a single injury that was significant until EJ Henderson went down very late in the season. Add to that they were gifted 2 wins against San Fran and Baltimore. This year, they will not get that lucky, and things have already started evening out with Sidney Rice injured. All this talk of being the favorites to get to the SB are bull....the NFL does not work that way and nothing is guaranteed. The Vikes had their chance last year and they blew it by turning the ball in the NFCC game which they dominated otherwise. Now it gets only worse - no Favre next year; the run D will be gone with Pat Williams gone, and they will return back to being average at best!!

I think this is the beginning of the implosion of the Vikings season. They are literally one high profile injury away from the whole thing going to seed.It is going to be a pleasure to watch.
I said it in the off season. The Vikes had a horse shoe up their ### last year. They did not have a single injury that was significant until EJ Henderson went down very late in the season. Add to that they were gifted 2 wins against San Fran and Baltimore. This year, they will not get that lucky, and things have already started evening out with Sidney Rice injured. All this talk of being the favorites to get to the SB are bull....the NFL does not work that way and nothing is guaranteed. The Vikes had their chance last year and they blew it by turning the ball in the NFCC game which they dominated otherwise. Now it gets only worse - no Favre next year; the run D will be gone with Pat Williams gone, and they will return back to being average at best!!
And they will still be better than your bears.

They only lost by 1 score in a game that could have easily turned out differently, You Viking/Farve haters shouldn't start gloating just yet..

ouchie... did you have to take him there?

As much of a homer as some say I am. Sweetness is 100x worse.

As you saw Farve had no timing at all with his WRs and looked way out of sync all night.Farve hates camp and that is a known fact. Farve knew he was coming back but still played the little cat and mouse game he has played for the last 3-4 years. Looks like it cost the Vikings a win tonight. This game was there for the taking but Farve was not ready to play.
Favre will be fine. He played the Superbowl champs to a pretty close game tonight. I will say that if he was in camp and got his timing down the outcome could have been different tonight.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Starting corners Porter and Grier missed part of the season due to injury in 2009.

So you want to look at a 16 game sample for the Saints defense and a 1 game sample for the Vikings offense?

I thought he was moving pretty good. He had pressure on him most of the night and he moved within that about as good as can be expected. The problem was the Vikings receivers were not open, they did not play well. Farve didn't throw a strike every pass but those receivers left a lot to be desired.
:yawn:

As much of a homer as some say I am. Sweetness is 100x worse.
:yawn:You're pretty far off here.

Gotta go back to 2002 to see Favre have a stellar first game. Some good completion percentages, but poor fantasy performances and some real clunkers. I'm not reading much into it.

Player Pos Yr Wk Tm Opp GameResult Cmp Att CmpPct RshYd YD/Att TD INT FantPt Rank

1 Brett Favre qb 2009 1 MIN @ CLE W, 34-20 14 21 66.7 110 5.24 1 0 10.5 29

2 Brett Favre qb 2008 1 NYJ @ MIA W, 20-14 15 22 68.2 194 8.82 2 0 19.9 11

3 Brett Favre qb 2007 1 GB PHI W, 16-13 23 42 54.8 206 4.90 0 1 8.1 26

4 Brett Favre qb 2006 1 GB CHI L, 0-26 15 29 51.7 170 5.86 0 2 4.5 28

5 Brett Favre qb 2005 1 GB @ DET L, 3-17 27 44 61.4 201 4.57 0 2 6.0 31

6 Brett Favre qb 2004 1 GB @ CAR W, 24-14 15 22 68.2 143 6.50 1 0 12.1 22

7 Brett Favre qb 2003 1 GB MIN L, 25-30 25 41 61.0 248 6.05 1 4 9.4 23

8 Brett Favre qb 2002 1 GB ATL W, 37-34 25 36 69.4 284 7.89 2 0 24.8 9

As you saw Farve had no timing at all with his WRs and looked way out of sync all night.

Farve hates camp and that is a known fact. Farve knew he was coming back but still played the little cat and mouse game he has played for the last 3-4 years. Looks like it cost the Vikings a win tonight. This game was there for the taking but Farve was not ready to play.
I posted on this before - look at last year.

This is the EXACT same way Favre started last year, albeit against much easier competition.

2009 Game 1 @ CLE:

Cmp Att Yds TD Int Lng

14 21 110 1 0 21

2009 Game 2 @ DET:

Cmp Att Yds TD Int Lng

23 27 155 2 0 13

Tonight, 2010 Game 1 @ NO:

Cmp Att Yds TD Int Lng

15 27 171 1 1 33

So the stats were nearly exactly the same, but against this competition the Vikes could not afford the ol' warmpup game.

I'm not saying he LOOKED the same though.

Tonight he had an interception, a very, very bad one.

And tonight he could not move. The Saints left entire swaths of land open to him, any averagely mobile QB could have taken advantage (oh say a Tavaris Jackson) to great effect. And it looked like his passing was weak, off, poor (maybe affected by the ankle, maybe not (?)).

The Saints' gameplan looked like they were playing against a guy about whom they wre not overly concerned about doing a large amount of damage. End result: zero points in the 2nd half.

This was a Saints defense missing all three guys they had penned in to start at OLB this year. They brought in a backup from the opposite side to fill in, and there was only one backup in action (plus a guy who has not been with the team since 2006).

It was all ADP and Shianco. Besides the TE passes deep in the 2nd quarter and the one sideline pattern to Camarillo that looke more like a prayer than a pattern, there was nothing much even attempted downfield.

FOUR completions to WR's.

Berrian: 1 catch 3 yards.

Harvin: 1/12

Lewis: 1/12

So you want to look at a 16 game sample for the Saints defense and a 1 game sample for the Vikings offense?
The Saints have some trouble spots defensively (really the run D ... its improvement tonight was probably the biggest surprise) but they boasts a very good secondary. Last year both starting corners missed the majority of the season's second half and their ranking plummeted. Their pass D is pretty good when healthy (and it looks like Jenkins will be just fine filling in for Sharper)

Favre looked a little off, and he was walking gingerly it seemed. However, I wouldn't even put the majority of the blame on Favre.

The WRs were largely in blanket coverage. Berrian especially, and Harvin didn't fair much better.

Whether this is due to good coverage or really poor WR play/effort is hard to say at this point.

Shiancoe was the only one ever open, and once the Saints told Roman Harper to watch him any time he went more than 5yds downfield, it was gameover for the Minn offense tonight. Not like Harper had to be concerned about the other WRs taking the top off the coverage.

You don't think Favre being in camp earlier would have been beneficial to this year's team? :P
No, the real question here is what's better a rusty Favre week 1 and 2 or a platoon of T-Jack and Sage throughout the season?I call it hate because a lot of the anti-Favre analysis is not based in reality.If we really put the hammer down and say Favre has to be in camp then he's gone and we all know it. I still feel like it evens out over the course of the season. Did he look rusty and not really have his wheels under him last year early? Of course he did and we all saw the body of work over the course of a season. He looked exactly like an almost 41 year old QB that just showed up a few weeks ago should look.Pat looked exactly like an aging nose tackle with a bad case of gout. I really felt we had some solid depth on the line and wouldn't have to play him as many series so I'm kinda shocked he was in as long as he was. As long as Karl Dunbar is in charge of that unit, I'mn not worried at all. They have one of the deepest lines in the NFL.Seeing The Matador being carted off really does have me worried, because we really do not have any good o-line depth and the max protect formations have proven in this game alone that they really don't work that well.After week 3 or 4 and Favre looks the same then yeah I can say that it's smart analysis, but when he looks exactly the same as he did last year then I have a hard time following your logic. Only this time we didn't get to play CLE and for some reason AD didn't get much for carries in the second half..start talking when we drop a few division games.

I have not read the thread, but a couple of observations.

1. Favre clearly does not trust his WRs to run the correct routes - not sure if more practice from Favre would help that - maybe he would understand where they were going to break off a route - but I think that is more on the WRs than Favre.

2. I think Camarillo will be a Favre favorite until Rice gets back.

3. Shiancoe might have had his best game of the season last night - Defenses will clearly be keying on him in the game plans

4. Vikings should have kept C. Taylor - the drop off in talent when Peterson left the game was significant.

I feel that these threads are inevitable as long as farve doesn't have a great game and you are missing in action when he does. That is how I feel about favre missing training camp.

:goodposting: I think Favre looked decent..the REAL worry I would have if I was a Vikings fan, is their porous pass defense..Saints WR's were open all over the field.. Brees wasn't particularly sharp, but if he was 'on' this game would've been a blowout..it is only week one of a new season so it's no time to panic.week 6, as you say, but not week one..

I love the over-reaction to week 1, game 1.
EXACTLY. So many people wishing Favre and the Vikes implode that they are jumping to conclusions.Week 1, Game 1, on the road, with key injuries, rusty offense, 5 point loss to the super bowl champs? IMPLOSION AWAITS!

I have not read the thread, but a couple of observations.1. Favre clearly does not trust his WRs to run the correct routes - not sure if more practice from Favre would help that - maybe he would understand where they were going to break off a route - but I think that is more on the WRs than Favre.2. I think Camarillo will be a Favre favorite until Rice gets back.3. Shiancoe might have had his best game of the season last night - Defenses will clearly be keying on him in the game plans4. Vikings should have kept C. Taylor - the drop off in talent when Peterson left the game was significant.
I agree with most all of this. I'd say that Shiancoe is in line for a big season though and I don't think last night will be his best game of the year. Shiancoe is going to be Favre's favorite target until Rice gets back, not Camarillo. Even after Rice comes back I would expect the chemistry and trust that Favre has developed with Shiancoe to remain intact and help keep that connection productive. Shiancoe was CLEARLY the only guy on that team that Farve trusted last night and rightfully so IMO. The other guys were horrible. No Min WR was able to even beat single coverage vs. the Saints DBs and they on several occasion (Harvin in-particular) ran the wrong routes or broke them off too soon. NO sold out to stop Peterson in this game and it worked. W/o Rice, it seems like that is what most everyone will do until Min proves they can beat them another way. I realize it was just one game, but that was my take on things last night anyway.

Not to mention Percy Harvin missing most of camp. Favre and Harvin had no clue what the other one was doing. With a 1 year older and more beat up Favre and weak receiving crew I can see the Vikings not making the playoffs.

Everyone bashing Favre is messed up... he's the Gunslinger from Down Under, and although he might start slow, he will end up with another MVP year and it will be bloomin' obvious by Week 4... they did play the Superbowl Champs (if you can call them that after the dirty Laurence Phillips way they late hit the Favreinator last year against the rules so bad that the referees apologized to Brett). Take it to the bank.

Users who are viewing this thread