What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What if Orton had remained the starter in Denver (1 Viewer)

Would the Broncos be playing this weekend had Orton remained the starter?

• Yes

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • No

Votes: 130 88.4%

• Total voters

Ghost Rider

Footballguy
It is a simple question:

Had Kyle Orton remained the starter in Denver for the entire season, do you think the Broncos would be playing this weekend in the divisional round?

Tebow is the MVP and if he loses in votes it should only be to Peyton Manning. Flynn proved it really is the system, not Aaron Rodgers, same as when Matt Cassel showed Brady was a system guy.

Denver was 1-4 with Orton. I think they could have got to 4 maybe 5 wins with him for the year.

Tebow is the MVP and if he loses in votes it should only be to Peyton Manning. Flynn proved it really is the system, not Aaron Rodgers, same as when Matt Cassel showed Brady was a system guy.
So Brees did nothing this year then? Also, MVP is most valuable player. Not most valuable guy sitting on the sidelines.

I can't help but wonder what we all would have done instead of write 63 pages of posts in the Tebow thread, had Orton remained the starter. :D

'David Yudkin said:
'Ministry of Pain said:
I will pretend I didn't read this.
too bad, MOP, there goes your staff job! :lmao:

'thriftyrocker said:
'ConfusedRealist said:
'thriftyrocker said:
They'd be in a great position to draft RG3.
I think you mean Andrew Luck, unless you think RG3 is going first.
No way they'd go 2-14 like Indy did. But 4-12 would have been very possible. Cleveland went 4-12 and is that RG3 sweet spot.
I believe they would have been 1-15(with their only victory being that fluke against Cincinnati). People get confused by the garbage time stats Orton likes to stack up and they fail to actually watch him try to play QB and realize how his team got in a position to be throwing 50 times in a game, he is awful. He may look prettier than Tebow throwing it but my God, can the guy learn to read a defense at some point please? He is also one of the least clutch players I've ever seen. The one time he looked like he might step up and actually do something to help his team win a football game he literally drops the ball untouched and allows the other team to pick it up. I know that since we're in a fantasy football forum we should focus on his stats but he is the definition of "loser" in my book.

'werdnoynek said:
'Reepicheep said:
I can't help but wonder what we all would have done instead of write 63 pages of posts in the Tebow thread, had Orton remained the starter. :D
:lmao: favreco would probably have a day or two of his life back!! i wouldn't be too far behind...
This place would be one boring board and for the record, no way do they make the playoffs with orton. The team is not good. They barely made it as it is and they had 2 of the flukiest wins in 2011 vs the Dolphins and Bears.

'thriftyrocker said:
'ConfusedRealist said:
'thriftyrocker said:
No way they'd go 2-14 like Indy did. But 4-12 would have been very possible. Cleveland went 4-12 and is that RG3 sweet spot.
I believe they would have been 1-15(with their only victory being that fluke against Cincinnati). People get confused by the garbage time stats Orton likes to stack up and they fail to actually watch him try to play QB and realize how his team got in a position to be throwing 50 times in a game, he is awful. He may look prettier than Tebow throwing it but my God, can the guy learn to read a defense at some point please? He is also one of the least clutch players I've ever seen. The one time he looked like he might step up and actually do something to help his team win a football game he literally drops the ball untouched and allows the other team to pick it up. I know that since we're in a fantasy football forum we should focus on his stats but he is the definition of "loser" in my book.
So Orton being the KC quarterback when they beat Green Bay is utterly coincidental - indeed, they won in spite of his presence, making the victory even more substantial and significant?Guys, Denver played a lot of close games this year because their defense was decent and got better as the year went along. They would have won some of those close games later in the year with Orton instead of Tebow - the QB is not the only deciding factor in close games. Obviusly Tebow was an upgrade over Orton in terms of team performance, but I would submit he was not the SOLE factor in Denver's improvement post-bye.Bottom line - no Denver would not be playing this weekend with Orton at QB, but neither would they have finished 3-13 or 4-12.

'thriftyrocker said:
'ConfusedRealist said:
'thriftyrocker said:
So Orton being the KC quarterback when they beat Green Bay is utterly coincidental - indeed, they won in spite of his presence, making the victory even more substantial and significant?Guys, Denver played a lot of close games this year because their defense was decent and got better as the year went along. They would have won some of those close games later in the year with Orton instead of Tebow - the QB is not the only deciding factor in close games. Obviusly Tebow was an upgrade over Orton in terms of team performance, but I would submit he was not the SOLE factor in Denver's improvement post-bye.Bottom line - no Denver would not be playing this weekend with Orton at QB, but neither would they have finished 3-13 or 4-12.
This place amazes me sometimes. I think we need to dig up the old Cutler trade thread where halfway through that first season Denver fans were convinced they fleeced Chicago because they got the picks plus the better QB out of the deal.What Denver has really shown us this year is that how a QB "fits" into an offense is maybe the most important part of the equation. Denver's team is built on its defense. Don't turn it over, give your D a break from time to time and you'll have a chance to win most games. That's what Tebow did earlier in the year when he first took over and it's what he did against Pittsburgh. Orton's style of taking chances and throwing it 40+ times a game doesn't work when you put your defense in short yardage situations all the time.That doesn't mean Orton would've lost the rest of Denver's games if he was the starter. They likely would've gone 4-12 or 5-11 or so. Likewise, Tebow works in Denver but he wouldn't work on a team like Green Bay or New Orleans, teams with a below average D that require a ton of precision passing. Those teams don't make the playoffs with Tebow as the starter. It really is all about fit.

I'm pretty sure KO is a much better QB than what he showed early this year. He simply didn't deal well with the stress of the Tebowites screaming.

I think he's an average NFL QB, and in the right situation, he can succeed. Obviously, that place is not somewhere where there is a cult-QB also on the team.

A more interesting question, I think, is could Denver make the playoffs w/o Tebow?

as good as the DEF played in the second half of the season, DEN would've been right there for the division title with Orton. Probably 7-9.

as good as the DEF played in the second half of the season, DEN would've been right there for the division title with Orton. Probably 7-9.
No No No!I hate this misinformation. It has been posted 3 times already in this thread. Denver's D is not good, they played against terrible offenses. Miami when they were unable to score 20, KC twice (who can't score), Caleb Hanie etc... etc... etc... Every time the play an NFL offense they let up 30-40 points. They might have went 7-9 with Orton but it would have been because of a cupcake schedule not some superpower defense. That defense finished 25th for a reason and almost last in the AFC which had a lot of subpar offenses.Hell even Pitt averaged less than 20 this year (and that's with a whole lot less injuries most of the year), so it's not like they suddenly played awesome in the first week of the playoffs.

No No No!I hate this misinformation. It has been posted 3 times already in this thread. Denver's D is not good, they played against terrible offenses. Miami when they were unable to score 20, KC twice (who can't score), Caleb Hanie etc... etc... etc... Every time the play an NFL offense they let up 30-40 points. They might have went 7-9 with Orton but it would have been because of a cupcake schedule not some superpower defense. That defense finished 25th for a reason and almost last in the AFC which had a lot of subpar offenses.Hell even Pitt averaged less than 20 this year (and that's with a whole lot less injuries most of the year), so it's not like they suddenly played awesome in the first week of the playoffs.
lol, sorry, I meant how good enough they were against the opponents they faced. I don't think Tebow added THAT much more than Orton.

Guys, Denver played a lot of close games this year because their defense was decent and got better as the year went along. They would have won some of those close games later in the year with Orton instead of Tebow - the QB is not the only deciding factor in close games. Obviusly Tebow was an upgrade over Orton in terms of team performance, but I would submit he was not the SOLE factor in Denver's improvement post-bye.Bottom line - no Denver would not be playing this weekend with Orton at QB, but neither would they have finished 3-13 or 4-12.
I don't think you realize how much Tebow being the QB motivated the defense. They were playing at a different level with Tebow in the game.

Guys, Denver played a lot of close games this year because their defense was decent and got better as the year went along. They would have won some of those close games later in the year with Orton instead of Tebow - the QB is not the only deciding factor in close games. Obviusly Tebow was an upgrade over Orton in terms of team performance, but I would submit he was not the SOLE factor in Denver's improvement post-bye.

Bottom line - no Denver would not be playing this weekend with Orton at QB, but neither would they have finished 3-13 or 4-12.
I don't think you realize how much Tebow being the QB motivated the defense. They were playing at a different level with Tebow in the game.
Wow. If that's what it took to motivate this defense, Fox needs to cut the entire unit and start fresh. Then resign.

Guys, Denver played a lot of close games this year because their defense was decent and got better as the year went along. They would have won some of those close games later in the year with Orton instead of Tebow - the QB is not the only deciding factor in close games. Obviusly Tebow was an upgrade over Orton in terms of team performance, but I would submit he was not the SOLE factor in Denver's improvement post-bye.

Bottom line - no Denver would not be playing this weekend with Orton at QB, but neither would they have finished 3-13 or 4-12.
Wow. If that's what it took to motivate this defense, Fox needs to cut the entire unit and start fresh. Then resign.
He's got a whole arsenel of wacky statements like that winner.

He's got a whole arsenel of wacky statements like that winner.
I truly don't believe that Tebow motivated the defence per say. But winning is contagious and increases locker room morale. Anyone that has played sports competitively knows this.I don't think the defence played better for the simple fact that Tebow was the QB. I think the whole team played better once Tewbow was inserted and they started to win. He brought a different type of energy and hope to a team that was quite frankly playing bad football.

I would say someone like Miller brought a lot more to the defence than Tebow did obviously, but none of us really know how much Tebow actually helped the whole team except those on the team.

Coaches can motivate and bring their best out of teamates as can players. I think it would be safe to say that Tebow helped out that team including the defence a lot more than Orton was for the main fact that they started to win when he was inserted into the most important position on his team.

Strange how this thread remains nice and civil, while the same question asked in the Flynn thread becomes "a thread all about sho nuff".

Kyle Orton went 2-1 as the starter for what was a bad KC team including a win over Tebow and the Broncos in what was essentially a must win game (didn't turn out that way b/c of Oakland losing) for Denver.I think Denver would have likely missed the playoffs if they stuck with Orton, because Tebow provided a spark to the whole team and allowed the coaching staff to introduce a unique style of attack which Tebow executed very well - but I don't think anyone should say that Orton would have lost all of the games that the Broncos ended up winning.

Some fun facts...

Since Tebow took over the Denver defense has allowed 23.2 points per game, which is good for 22nd in the NFL.

The #5, #6, #7, #8, #10, #11, #12, #14, #16, #17, #20, and #21 defenses all missed the playoffs despite giving up fewer pts/game than Denver did with Tebow as the starter and none of them had to overcome an inherited 1-4 start. For those keeping track that's Cleveland, Miami, Seattle, Tennessee, Philly, Jacksonville, KC, Chicago, Dallas, Arizona, NYJ, and Washington.

Out of all the playoff teams, only the Giants gave up more points/game than the Tebow led Broncos did.

Denver went through a 4-game stretch where the offense's best starting field position over the entire time was their own 29 yard line.

The Patriots "historically awful" defense that gave up 21.4 points/game.

Or, to look at it another way...

Of Tebow's 7 victories that came after assuming the starting role, the Denver D gave up 10, 10, 13, 13, 15, 24 and 32 points in those games. Of his four losses, the D gave up 7, 40, 41, and 45 points.

Obviously the three games where they got beat like rented mules skews the total PPG.

Tebow and Denver played a lot of close, low scoring games, and he won almost all of those. He also won a couple of shootouts (including the recent playoff game).

They got the snot beat out of them three times.

Whatever conclusions you want to draw from that, feel free!

I truly don't believe that Tebow motivated the defence per say. But winning is contagious and increases locker room morale. Anyone that has played sports competitively knows this.
Most defensive players think the QBs are pansies and pampered in this league. You touch a QB with your finger or look at him the wrong way, whistle!!! 15 yard flag. Tebow plays like a HB. He puts his shoulder down and runs over defenders. The Denver defenders love this! He is a tough guy and the defense can rally around him for that. I think this is the main reason why he motivates the defense. Because he is willing to lower his shoulder and play "real tough football" and not cry when a DT smashes him. :football:

Kyle Orton went 2-1 as the starter for what was a bad KC team including a win over Tebow and the Broncos in what was essentially a must win game (didn't turn out that way b/c of Oakland losing) for Denver.
And those wins had very little to do with Orton. They scored 7 points against a "horrible" Denver defense. And the Packers defense is bad as well, and they managed, what, 16 points? KC's defense won those games.

I truly don't believe that Tebow motivated the defence per say. But winning is contagious and increases locker room morale. Anyone that has played sports competitively knows this.
Most defensive players think the QBs are pansies and pampered in this league. You touch a QB with your finger or look at him the wrong way, whistle!!! 15 yard flag. Tebow plays like a HB. He puts his shoulder down and runs over defenders. The Denver defenders love this! He is a tough guy and the defense can rally around him for that. I think this is the main reason why he motivates the defense. Because he is willing to lower his shoulder and play "real tough football" and not cry when a DT smashes him. :football:
while that's true, the real reason for the improved defensive play was a reduced number of turnovers. Outside of the Buffalo game, Tebow has done a great job of taking care of the ball, whereas Orton was leading the league in pics.Fewer turnovers = better field position for the D = less points surrendered.

Orton is actually a pretty darn good passer, but unfortunately he's not a good quarterback. Here's why:

He folds under pressure time and time again.

- can't evade a pass rush

- doesn't function well in the red zone

- doesn't function well in the fourth quarter

- can't carry a team to come back from behind and win a game

- can't handle competition for his position

Being a QB in the NFL is all about pressure. Elway was right in his decision to move on from Orton.

Last edited by a moderator:
In their 9 wins, the Broncos only turned the ball over 9 times. In their 8 losses, they coughed it up 21 times. Both Tebow and Orton had games where the offense turned the ball over (not sure if they were INTs or fumbles). Bottom line, teams that don't turn the ball over will win, teams that can't keep possession of the ball will lose. That is an axiom that is tried and true, so if people want to attribute Tebow for turning the ball over less than Orton did, so be it, but I still think there were plenty of things that happened that Tebow somehow got credit for that led to the team winning more games.

Users who are viewing this thread