What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What if the Bears bench their starters next week? (1 Viewer)

Sort of. They started, then pulled Romo, but Murray, Jones, Witten, Bryant, and Austin all played late into the game. This is the closest example of what the OP is suggesting, but even this is not an exact comparison.
Romo was dinged up early in that game. I remember because I owned him and lost my champ game by 12 pts and he got me 1.
Me, too. Sucks to realize by 4:45 p.m. that you're getting zero points from your QB and will definitely lose your championship because of it.

As I recall, he hurt his throwing hand, and it wasn't totally clear that he would have been able to play through it even if the game had been meaningful. Pretty rare circumstance, and hardly a precedent for sitting your starters this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
teams have done this before, and LOL at NBC flexing this game and it might be totally meaninless in the standings.
When have teams done this? I do not remember even one instance where a team that did not have a playoff spot, let alone a seed locked up rested players.

Give me a team that did this.
Patriots have done this multiple times. 2005 and I think 2009. There is no real difference between 3 and 4 seed. I'm not sure the "don't have a playoff spot" part is relevant since winning wouldn't impact their chances of getting one.
Not only haven't the Patriots done this, but of all franchises, they should know the value of the 3 seed vs the 4. In 2006, they were the 4 seed and had to play at 3-seed Indy in the AFC championship.

Sort of. They started, then pulled Romo, but Murray, Jones, Witten, Bryant, and Austin all played late into the game. This is the closest example of what the OP is suggesting, but even this is not an exact comparison.
Romo was dinged up early in that game. I remember because I owned him and lost my champ game by 12 pts and he got me 1.
Me, too. Sucks to realize by 4:45 p.m. that you're getting zero points from your QB and will definitely lose your championship because of it.

As I recall, he hurt his throwing hand, and it wasn't totally clear that he would have been able to play through it even if the game had been meaningful. Pretty rare circumstance, and hardly a precedent for sitting your starters this year.
Yep, cost me a championship as well, ironically against the same guy I play this week and Foles is my QB (or Brady). I like Foles matchup much better, but the Romo story and the similarities in the situation are giving me pause.

No, I don't think Foles would be rested if healthy, but if he takes a shot like say Flacco did last week, I could see him getting pulled. Romo would have kept playing, but they pulled him and only him when he got hurt.

As everyone stated above, the only time I recall anyone resting in week 16 was the Colts and it didn't work out for them and in the Romo case above, it didn't work out for him either. The #3 seed is a pretty big deal, as is getting back your mojo (Cutler a little rusty and Foles and crew getting blasted by Minny). Teams that limp into the playoffs aren't the teams that win.

Also, for teams thinking the #3 seed doesn't matter. The last two SB champs played on the first weekend and were division winners. Two years ago, the Saints just barely lost against SF, otherwise the Giants and Saints would have been the #3 vs. #4 seeds, so home field in that game would have been huge for the Saints (I think they were #3) and maybe the Giants don't win it all as the Saints tend to be a little better at home. If Kelly and Trestman are thinking about resting starters this week then they clearly aren't thinking they have a shot to make a run in the playoffs because they would rather play on the road after the first week. SF and NO/Carolina as the wild cards means that two really good teams could easily upset some top seeds and getting home field advantage in the NFC championship could be huge if the other side of the bracket has some upsets, which based on the last couple years happens.

teams have done this before, and LOL at NBC flexing this game and it might be totally meaninless in the standings.
When have teams done this? I do not remember even one instance where a team that did not have a playoff spot, let alone a seed locked up rested players.

Patriots have done this multiple times. 2005 and I think 2009. There is no real difference between 3 and 4 seed. I'm not sure the "don't have a playoff spot" part is relevant since winning wouldn't impact their chances of getting one.
Not only haven't the Patriots done this, but of all franchises, they should know the value of the 3 seed vs the 4. In 2006, they were the 4 seed and had to play at 3-seed Indy in the AFC championship.
Exactly and in my post above, 2 years ago the same scenario was 4 points away (and multiple bad TOs by the Saints) from happening in the NFC with the Giants vs. New Orleans. Giants playing at New Orleans might have ended a lot differently, but either way NO gets by SF, which they almost did, and they get to play at home a huge advantage for them.

With as many "good" wild card teams as there are this year (SF 10-4, KC 11-3, NO 10-4, Carolina 10-4), being the 3 seed could mean a home game in the NFC Championship if you advance. Philly and Chicago have good enough offenses that you never know.

I still think you're wrong. In 2009, I specifically remember rooting against Brian Hoyer in week 17 because the Bengals could be #3 seed if they lost and they weren't playing Brady. Then after Hoyer lost, the Bengals had a shot for the #3 seed in SNF and did the exact same thing and rested their starters also even though they could have been #3.

edit: just saw the earlier post where someone looked it up and Brady started the game and Hoyer finished it.

I still think you're wrong. In 2009, I specifically remember rooting against Brian Hoyer in week 17 because the Bengals could be #3 seed if they lost and they weren't playing Brady. Then after Hoyer lost, the Bengals had a shot for the #3 seed in SNF and did the exact same thing and rested their starters also even though they could have been #3. edit: just saw the earlier post where someone looked it up and Brady started the game and Hoyer finished it.
Also week 17 not 16.

I still think you're wrong. In 2009, I specifically remember rooting against Brian Hoyer in week 17 because the Bengals could be #3 seed if they lost and they weren't playing Brady. Then after Hoyer lost, the Bengals had a shot for the #3 seed in SNF and did the exact same thing and rested their starters also even though they could have been #3. edit: just saw the earlier post where someone looked it up and Brady started the game and Hoyer finished it.
Also week 17 not 16.
Right, I was using it as an example that teams don't care between 3rd seed and 4th, not the week number.

Zach Zaidman@ZachZaidman11m
Marc Trestman left the door open today to potentially rest some players on Sunday night depending on GB and DET results.
the tweet just before that one says "seeding is important as well"
yes, but up until this point, the thought of Bears players sitting for any or all of Sunday nights games was dismissed. The previous tweet did nothing to change that method of thinking for fantasy players. This tweet at least, makes you consider it.

Wait, this Trestman "potentially resting" quote makes zero sense. Here are the NFC North Playoff scenarios:

The Bears (8-6) would clinch the NFC North title with a win Sunday night over the Eagles in Philadelphia coupled with losses by both the Packers (7-6-1) to the Steelers in Green Bay and the Lions (7-7) to the Giants in Detroit earlier in the day.

"If the Bears, Packers and Lions all win or all lose Sunday, Detroit would be eliminated and the winner of next weekend's Chicago-Green Bay game would capture the NFC North title."

So ... if GB and DET both lose this Sunday afternoon, going into the Sunday Night game the Bears would basically be in a win 1 of your remaining 2 games and you win the NFC North scenario. So why would they sit anybody with the outcome of the first of these 2 games in question? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Please look at these scenarios and tell me I'm not crazy for thinking this. If 1 win gets you into the playoffs, wouldn't you want 2 cracks at that win, instead of limiting yourself to one chance at winning, in a game vs Aaron Rodgers, no less? This is obvious, right?

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Breaking-down-playoff-scenarios/3bd3ae5f-5e5e-4610-bcc6-a5a7b9e56322

Wait, this Trestman "potentially resting" quote makes zero sense. Here are the NFC North Playoff scenarios:

The Bears (8-6) would clinch the NFC North title with a win Sunday night over the Eagles in Philadelphia coupled with losses by both the Packers (7-6-1) to the Steelers in Green Bay and the Lions (7-7) to the Giants in Detroit earlier in the day.

"If the Bears, Packers and Lions all win or all lose Sunday, Detroit would be eliminated and the winner of next weekend's Chicago-Green Bay game would capture the NFC North title."

So ... if GB and DET both lose this Sunday afternoon, going into the Sunday Night game the Bears would basically be in a win 1 of your remaining 2 games and you win the NFC North scenario. So why would they sit anybody with the outcome of the first of these 2 games in question? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Please look at these scenarios and tell me I'm not crazy for thinking this. If 1 win gets you into the playoffs, wouldn't you want 2 cracks at that win, instead of limiting yourself to one chance at winning, in a game vs Aaron Rodgers, no less? This is obvious, right?

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Breaking-down-playoff-scenarios/3bd3ae5f-5e5e-4610-bcc6-a5a7b9e56322
if lions lose and fall to 7-8....... and GB wins... then the sunday night result doesnt matter because if the bears win or lose to philly.. the bears would have to beat GB next week.

if GB wins they are 8-6-1

so if bears lose 8-7... winner of week 17 bears-pack game wins division

now if bears win... they are 9-6.... but they still ahve to beat GB next week because GB's potential 9-6-1 is better than a 9-7 record the bears would have if they lose to GB week 17

if pack and lions lose, the bears will be extra motiviated to win at philly and lock up division this week

But there is no way the lions lose to NYG at home... so I really wouldnt be concerned about it.. the lions are bad... but not that bad and as long as the lions Win the bears would have to win to stay 1 game ahead of the Lions (since lions have the tiebreaker on the bears)

if lions lose and fall to 7-8....... and GB wins... then the sunday night result doesnt matter because if the bears win or lose to philly.. the bears would have to beat GB next week.

now if bears win... they are 9-6.... but they still ahve to beat GB next week because GB's potential 9-6-1 is better than a 9-7 record the bears would have if they lose to GB week 17

if pack and lions lose, the bears will be extra motiviated to win at philly and lock up division this week

But there is no way the lions lose to NYG at home... so I really wouldnt be concerned about it.. the lions are bad... but not that bad and as long as the lions Win the bears would have to win to stay 1 game ahead of the Lions (since lions have the tiebreaker on the bears)
the Lions can easily lose that game, you haven't been paying attention.

i just saw the giants get pantsed by the chargers and seahwaks... they're missing their best WR, a key D-lineman (JPP) and their QB is a turnover machine (even more so than stafford). as a bears fan as much as i love seeing the lions lose, i dont see it as very likely this weekend

No.

i just saw the giants get pantsed by the chargers and seahwaks... they're missing their best WR, a key D-lineman (JPP) and their QB is a turnover machine (even more so than stafford). as a bears fan as much as i love seeing the lions lose, i dont see it as very likely this weekend
They got em right where they want em.

The NFL should have just left the NE vs Bal game on Sunday night that is a pretty big game and then the Bears would have played in the afternoon and none of this would have mattered.

The NFL should have just left the NE vs Bal game on Sunday night that is a pretty big game and then the Bears would have played in the afternoon and none of this would have mattered.
I kind of buy the conspiracy theory (can't remember if it was mentioned in this thread or one of the many other Shark Pool threads on this topic) that that's the exact reason starters won't sit in this game. That '09 Bengals-Jets SNF Week 17 game was a huge deal to the NFL/NBC, who hated having a team lie down in a primetime game. How much you want to bet the Bears got an angry call after Trestman's comments today along the lines of, "We didn't flex out of Tom Brady vs the defending champs so that America can watch Michael Bush and Earl Bennet!"

No.
How can anyone speak with certainly where the Lions are concerned? When have they ever failed to fail?

Someone posted in another thread about this and made one more good point. If the 3 and 4 seeds win their games, the 3 seed goes to New Orleans or Carolina and the 4 seed goes to Seattle. Seems like an easy choice to me. If Trestman is thinking about just the division, then the Bears might as well pack it in when Rodgers comes back next week.

This will all be moot anyway, I don't see Detroit losing to the Giants.

No.
How can anyone speak with certainly where the Lions are concerned? When have they ever failed to fail?
I know right, penciling in the lions to win anything is a colossal mistake.

Thanks for clearing this up. I was just going by Rotoworld's blurb, which seemed to only focus on if DET and GB both lost, as if that was the worst scenario.

Also, all of the idiots who are so certain that DET will beat NYG, are 100% guaranteeing that the Lions will lose.

This is such a non-starter, Trestman's not sitting anyone. What if on the 29th it's heavy snow and freezing cold, heading into overtime in a 6-6 game. A tie gets the Packers in? Let alone the 3 seed avoiding a trip to Seattle. Let alone that a #3 vs #4 NFC CG isn't at all out of the question. Too many reasons to go out and get a win. The only thing I could see him doing is putting Briggs on a snap count (and being extra careful with anyone injured mid-game). Cutler, Marshall, Alshon, Forte are playing the whole game

No.
I know right, penciling in the lions to win anything is a colossal mistake.
The Giants aren't even competitive. They've lost by 23 points each of the last two weeks.

The bus is already running, folks.

Lions stink they can lose to anyone anytime. They have 4 turnovers a game

Giants ML
I'll book that action!
Where are all those great evaluators of NFL talent now? Det might still win but clearly it is not the easy game all here thought now is it? I said it at the start of the thread.....you never know.
You get schooled in fantasy leagues by girls, chief. Settle down.
Ahem...not really .... do not be mad if you suck at understanding the NFL. It is not really your fault if you have some incapacities inherently. You are a Raider fan....lol....worst franchise ever.

Giants ML
I'll book that action!
Where are all those great evaluators of NFL talent now? Det might still win but clearly it is not the easy game all here thought now is it? I said it at the start of the thread.....you never know.
Ahem...not really .... do not be mad if you suck at understanding the NFL. It is not really your fault if you have some incapacities inherently. You are a Raider fan....lol....worst franchise ever.
Hey, good one!

:nerd:

Back to topic. GB losing though to Steelers which means Bears should start all to win the division tonight. But they will then bench everyone week 17 which is fine probably for most leagues.

Giants in FG range....GO GIANTS!

If the Packers win this which looks unlikely now then this is going to be a total circus the next 40 mins while people try to figure out who to start

It was still a bad call by me, but make no mistake.... this loss is entirely on Stafford. I underestimated his awfulness.

He has regressed terribly.

It was still a bad call by me, but make no mistake.... this loss is entirely on Stafford. I underestimated his awfulness.

He has regressed terribly.
Bad call perhaps but I don't think you could have predicted Calvin being basically a non-factor.

That said, as a Bears fan I am glad you were wrong.

Chicago can clinch the division with a win tonight they will be going full bore, also correct me if I'm wrong Philly does have something to play for, if they lose to Chicago and still beat Dallas they will essentially draw Seattle in the second round instead which I'm sure is something most teams would play to try and avoid

If GB had won with a Det loss, then Chi had a reason to bench. Now, there is no need. Eagles can bench their players though as they have nothing to win tonight. I hope they do as a Bears fan....I want to end the fudge--packer season tonight.

I'm absolutely sick. :cry:

I started Brees over Cutler because he's Brees and I did't think thise scenario would happen. :topcat:

The forkin FF Gods crushed me again in a close SB.

P.Manning outscored Brees 45-13. :tfp:

Now I have to watch Cutler light up PHL who has no incentive to play hard. :rant:

Giants ML
I'll book that action!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Too much milk and cookies?

Chicago can clinch the division with a win tonight they will be going full bore, also correct me if I'm wrong Philly does have something to play for, if they lose to Chicago and still beat Dallas they will essentially draw Seattle in the second round instead which I'm sure is something most teams would play to try and avoid
What do they look like when they go half bore?

I can think of one starter who should be benched next week

Maybe they should have rested their starters. Wouldn't have mattered.
It was almost like the Bears were watching the GB game, saw them get to the 1 yard line, and were like, "Clearly GB is going to win this game, so let's just turn off the TV and assume we can tank this."

Users who are viewing this thread